Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

Can I call paying off my student loan debt a purchase? I just did that yesterday, and am officially out of debt entirely. The idea of having surplus money is both thrilling and terrifying.

What are you going to buy with next month's payment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thanks, I did.

Subjunctive posted:

Congratulations! That’s huge!

Thanks!

H110Hawk posted:

What are you going to buy with next month's payment?

I'm planning on turning those payments into investments, like index funds or something? (I'm a novice). But my 6 year old computer is crashing on the reg - so I might splurge on something more robust than I would have otherwise (wish I could find a 3080).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Spy_Guy posted:

I bought a weird calculator. It's actually two calculators stapled together, supposedly it helped with complex numbers and surveying. I'm quite curious what other use cases there may have been for it.

It’s like a throttle from an Airbus

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Index funds? Sounds boring. Just buy lottery scratch off tickets. Statistically speaking, you'll eventually hit the jackpot if you play enough!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

owl_pellet posted:

If I ever go back to CA Amoeba is in my top 5 things to do/visit. I miss the old days of spending an hour or two at the music store flipping through physical albums and listening to whatever is playing over the speakers.

It's not horrifically far or anything, but LA traffic means it's not an idle stop, so we do usually spend at least an hour every time we go. And I walk away with more records than I intended to buy....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm planning on turning those payments into investments, like index funds or something? (I'm a novice). But my 6 year old computer is crashing on the reg - so I might splurge on something more robust than I would have otherwise (wish I could find a 3080).

Yeah but like, treat yo self.

For help with a long term plan including investing and retirement:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mobby_6kl posted:

Dell S2721DGF monitor. I finally gave up waiting for a 32", 4K, 144hz VRR, HDR monitor and this is a pretty good stopgap. The only downside (other than not being the above) is pretty bad black levels, but it's not a problem unless playing in the dark.

Very solid purchase, imo some of the best bang for your buck out there in consumer PC monitors. I had to buy a new monitor to replace a broken one recently and this was my go-to, someday I plan to replace my other two with 'em as well. It's a great middle ground for people like me who don't want the full 32'' (27'' is plenty for me, thanks).

edit: And yeah, the crushed contrast is a pretty hefty downside, the monitor's colors are just dark even with the backlight all the way up. Here are my settings and my color profile from my attempts to defeat the issue, in case you'd like to give 'em a go:

Brightness 70%
Contrast 75%

Gain R 89%
Gain G 90%
Gain B 100%

Color profile here, I'm not quite sure how these work but it should appear in Display Settings if you save it wherever you want and right click to install.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Oct 31, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My yearly beef purchase:

Over 250 pounds of local, free-range, grass-fed, organic Vermont beef.

Cost me a pretty penny, too.

$360

Do the math on that. :smug:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

So I was helpin my partner shop for a motorcycle because she was buying her first one and I've been riding a long time, which of course led to me wanting a new bike because mine was 12 years old. Really liked the looks of the new Indian models, drove way further than I should have had to cause the closer dealer didn't have poo poo, rona flipped the script and caused people to run out and buy motorcycles. Luckily they still had the one model I was really interested in and several of the ones I was curious about but didn't think I'd actually want.

So I rode home on a brand new 2021 Vintage Dark Horse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love that cruisers are slowly morphing into cyberpunk anime bikes

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I've had it happen more often than I care to admit that I've lost the charger to rechargable batteries. So, when I found out about USB rechargables, I ordered 18650 cells, 14500 cells, and AA cells. Also useful on a boat, where there typically is no 220 V system for a separate charger, but a USB charger, or at least a powerbank, can be found.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A device that turns my Aeropress into a cold drip brewer so I can make delicious cold brew for the summer.

Works really well!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Megabound posted:

A device that turns my Aeropress into a cold drip brewer so I can make delicious cold brew for the summer.

Works really well!

Can I get a link for this? Sounds nifty.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

EdBlackadder posted:

Can I get a link for this? Sounds nifty.

If you're Australian Alternative Brewing is the place to buy from otherwise here's their website: https://puckpuck.me/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Megabound posted:

Works really well!

Getting the wife this for christmas, its supposed to be pretty great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Very solid purchase, imo some of the best bang for your buck out there in consumer PC monitors. I had to buy a new monitor to replace a broken one recently and this was my go-to, someday I plan to replace my other two with 'em as well. It's a great middle ground for people like me who don't want the full 32'' (27'' is plenty for me, thanks).

edit: And yeah, the crushed contrast is a pretty hefty downside, the monitor's colors are just dark even with the backlight all the way up. Here are my settings and my color profile from my attempts to defeat the issue, in case you'd like to give 'em a go:

Brightness 70%
Contrast 75%

Gain R 89%
Gain G 90%
Gain B 100%

Color profile here, I'm not quite sure how these work but it should appear in Display Settings if you save it wherever you want and right click to install.

Wait, yours is too dark? I don't really go over 40% brightness and even then the whites and the blacks are too bright. Anyway, I'll try to get it calibrated this week so we'll see how it does.

Anyway, thanks for the profile. I installed it to give it a try in the meantime but it seems to make no difference, and I don't have that option in the settings to select it.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Nov 1, 2020

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Megabound posted:

If you're Australian Alternative Brewing is the place to buy from otherwise here's their website: https://puckpuck.me/

Cheers dude, in the UK but they do international shipping so might still be a potential of goer.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

EdBlackadder posted:

Cheers dude, in the UK but they do international shipping so might still be a potential of goer.

Ah, it's a UK company so you should be golden

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Index funds? Sounds boring. Just buy lottery scratch off tickets. Statistically speaking, you'll eventually hit the jackpot if you play enough!

Every lottery ticket is 50/50.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

My yearly beef purchase:

Over 250 pounds of local, free-range, grass-fed, organic Vermont beef.

I also bought Vermont farm products (okay, a little NY too). A little less than 30 lbs all together.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Weighted Skunk2 shift knob for my 2002 Civic Si.
I bought one for my son’s Del Sol also but it will be a Christmas present so 🤫

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I've never driven one so this is based purely on aesthetics, but I absolutely hate the look of the shifter on the fuckin dash. How does it actually feel though compared to the usual stick on the floor?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OniPanda posted:

I've never driven one so this is based purely on aesthetics, but I absolutely hate the look of the shifter on the fuckin dash. How does it actually feel though compared to the usual stick on the floor?

It’s a very natural position. Hand just has to move to the side to shift instead of also going down to the floor. The first time I saw this shifter layout back in ‘01 I also couldn’t jive my brain with it, but after driving one it’s super easy and intuitive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Like the Renault 4 had one in 1744 or whenever.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I bought a satellite receiver.

It runs open source software and therefore has a terrible ux, but it has all sorts of nifty features like streaming the output of the tuners to any computer or phone on the wifi. It also plays video from samba shares and has a basic but ad free youtube implementation, which is really everything I wanted.

It's not brand spanking new technology, but it at least drags me from the early aughts to the later tens.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I just scored a 65 inch LG Nanocell 90 series tv for $600, hell of a steal.

Got a super nice TV stand for my new TV off of facebook marketplace for $40. Tv comes thursday and hopefully PS5 comes next week.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bought a new GE side by side fridge half off on wayfair! :woop:

And then promptly got a call from the delivery company today that it’s been backordered until February 10th :ohdear:

50/50 my order just gets straight up cancelled

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a black Zebra Sarasa grand pen. It was on sale for 8 bucks so hell yeah. And it's matte instead of the glossy finish the others have.

These pens are worth it. The metal body has a very nice heft to it and the pen writes very smooth. I told my GF to try it and she immediately got some too, and everyone she has try it also loves them. If you're someone who appreciates a good pen, give them a try.

I have like 4 now lol.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bought a new GE side by side fridge half off on wayfair! :woop:

And then promptly got a call from the delivery company today that it’s been backordered until February 10th :ohdear:

50/50 my order just gets straight up cancelled

Looks similar to mine. If it uses the XWF water filters, look at the company Waterdrop on Amazon. I’ve been trying them as a cheaper replacement and they’ve been good so far.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
The UK has started another lockdown, so figured I might as well get cosy.

Yellowstone bourbon, as recommended by the local fancy booze proprietor:

The Pendleton Original Westerley cardigan, as worn by The Dude:

Both were pretty pricey, but it's not like I'm going out for a while.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You live next to Scotland, why are you drinking Kentucky booze?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Some Goon posted:

You live next to Scotland, why are you drinking Kentucky booze?

I've got Scotland booze in the drinks cart already. And recently started rewatching Mad Men, which caused an itch for bourbon :shobon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bourbon is better than scotch.

:can:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bourbon is better than scotch.

:can:

thats true

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

No pics, but I just received my Pixel 5. Will see how it does coming from a Pixel 3XL via a 4A I now need to sell (missed the comfort of waterproofing, mostly).

Also, short shifter for the GTI. Was surprisingly quick and easy to swap out after much more work getting a generic catch can into a Forester with a car buddy. It shortens the throw by like half an inch but it's still noticeable.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oddhair posted:

No pics, but I just received my Pixel 5. Will see how it does coming from a Pixel 3XL via a 4A I now need to sell (missed the comfort of waterproofing, mostly).

Also, short shifter for the GTI. Was surprisingly quick and easy to swap out after much more work getting a generic catch can into a Forester with a car buddy. It shortens the throw by like half an inch but it's still noticeable.

Let us know if you dig it. I have a 3XL and am sort of thinking about going for a 5 because I have Google Fi and thus could have 5G.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:respek:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The best whisk(e)y is whatever is in my glass and right now that's some cheap Ancient Age

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Targeted Instagram ads work I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lmao, is that a pillow and blanket set?