Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rutibex posted:

i wish they would port Grim Dawn to Switch. i mean they have Titan Quest on there?

titan quest on the switch is kinda poo poo. It was extremely poorly ported and suffers from awful controls and really bad slowdown issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, the new Grail Knight class is $5, and you have to buy the $10 Cosmetic Upgrade pack to unlock all of his challenges.

gently caress. That's some ubi/EA tier poo poo right there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Activision is trash

remember that blizzard also sells announcer voice packs for starcraft 2 so you're encouraged to spend $10-20 just to hear such-and-such overwatch character remind you to construct additional pylons

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

d3lness posted:

What the unholy gently caress.

If there is ever a company to be happy and willing to fleece its fans, it's Games Workshop

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I love how gameRs keep claiming to rise up while supporting this stupid poo poo.

E:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If there is ever a company to be happy and willing to fleece its fans, it's Games Workshop

GW just holds the license. Fatshark made the choice to be an rear end in a top hat with it. Not to say GW isn't brutal with their IP, but credit where credit is due.

d3lness fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 29, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The White Dragon posted:

Activision is trash

remember that blizzard also sells announcer voice packs for starcraft 2 so you're encouraged to spend $10-20 just to hear such-and-such overwatch character remind you to construct additional pylons

Like just dont buy it? Nobody is holding a gun to your head? I've never understood the disdain for paying for cosmetic items, not that I ever would myself. Let people spend their money on whatever dumb poo poo they want to buy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
people who pay for cosmetic dlc are contributing to the ongoing publisher-developer problem relationship where creating microtransactive content for existing successes is incentivized over just developing a good new game because it's simply more profitable

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

people who pay for cosmetic dlc are contributing to the ongoing publisher-developer problem relationship where creating microtransactive content for existing successes is incentivized over just developing a good new game because it's simply more profitable

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mass Effect is not just the best game in the series, it is also the best RPG since it was released.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ooh ooh ooh! Warhammer Gladius does that too! Basically parts of your tech tree are locked behind DLC, hope you didn't expect to be able to use your entire race...

Basically, NEVER buy any Warhammer IP title, they're 100% trash at all times.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Serephina posted:

Ooh ooh ooh! Warhammer Gladius does that too! Basically parts of your tech tree are locked behind DLC, hope you didn't expect to be able to use your entire race...

Space Marine and DoW1 are the only good warhammer titles, out of the thousands out there. Space Marine had weird paid dlc, but that was only for multiplayer and who the gently caress played that game multiplayer.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've had fun playing Blood Bowl 2 that was 90% off or something, but yeah most races are DLC, it's pretty slimy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The White Dragon posted:

Cool so what's your solution to this intractable problem?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Cool so what's your solution to this intractable problem?

guillotine the heads of publishing studios

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

guillotine the heads of publishing studios

Even more so with very recent developments.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

The White Dragon posted:

yeah diablo 3 at launch was miserable. we finished that in a month or two so we never got to see it become "good," and because it was so bad when it came out, my crew isn't willing to waste money hoping the opinions of other people on the internet are right for once. besides, we already have Grim Dawn, which actually is good and always has been

Honestly, Diablo 3 is a hell of a redemption story. Hopefully they've learned some tough lessons for Diablo 4.

Realistically, I don't think I would buy it. Blizzard is shady as gently caress and doesn't deserve my money anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

this includes games workshop printed manuals. 9th edition? but you just sold me a $250 8th edition box set. :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chocobo posted:

Honestly, Diablo 3 is a hell of a redemption story. Hopefully they've learned some tough lessons for Diablo 4.

Realistically, I don't think I would buy it. Blizzard is shady as gently caress and doesn't deserve my money anymore.

Remaking D2 with better graphics and worse everything else was probably a bad move.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Chocobo posted:

Honestly, Diablo 3 is a hell of a redemption story.

For a second i thought you were talking about the plot, and you reminded me about how dogshit the plot of that game was.

"What if we did Diablo 2 again, but worse!"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rutibex posted:

this includes games workshop printed manuals. 9th edition? but you just sold me a $250 8th edition box set. :argh:

This might be going offtopic, but since you seem to play the tabletop stuff; why did GW murder WH:F? They where printing craptons of new armybooks and new overpowered models (of course), and then decided to throw the property that literally founded their company in the dustbin despite an active user base? What?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chocobo posted:

what has blizzard done lately that makes you think they are capable of making a good diablo game?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rutibex posted:

what has blizzard done lately that makes you think they are capable of making a good diablo game?

D2 came out 20 years ago. Cosmically speaking, that isn't very long ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

This might be going offtopic, but since you seem to play the tabletop stuff; why did GW murder WH:F? They where printing craptons of new armybooks and new overpowered models (of course), and then decided to throw the property that literally founded their company in the dustbin despite an active user base? What?

i thought they just renamed it Age of Sigmar? i don't know much about fantasy i mostly just like the 40k stuff. if i was going fight fantasy armies i would use D&D rules not warhammer

Waltzing Along posted:

D2 came out 20 years ago. Cosmically speaking, that isn't very long ago.

D2 was made by Blizzard North aka Condor Entertainment. they don't exist any more

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Serephina posted:

Warhammer fantasy was selling a fraction of the models that 40k was, so they took a calculated risk to demolish the setting and make the game more accessible to new players. Suddenly it didn't take $600 to start playing the game, and sales skyrocketed. They sank their teeth into a poo poo load of new players, who then bought mountains of minis.

Seeing the success of fantasy, they then did something similar with 40k by making 8th as accessible to new players as possible.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

40k and AoS have a fun feature thats been going for at least ten years now: the new models preform better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

40k and AoS have a fun feature thats been going for at least ten years now: the new models preform better.

yeah but there is a cool trick you can use. Warhammer 40k mind-hack. just use the rules for the new minis on you lovely old tanks

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Serephina posted:

The only people that claim WH:F died because of Age of Sigmar are grognards are chuds who don't like female figures on a table that aren't scantily clad war engine decorations. WH:F had a a dying and aging community. AoS is their attempt to bring an old game into modern times and it's working fine. Their boxed games are especially good (if not money hungry). Underworlds is extremely fun and the Killteam analog I don't remember the name of seems to be getting it's fair share of praise.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rutibex posted:

yeah but there is a cool trick you can use. Warhammer 40k mind-hack. just use the rules for the new minis on you lovely old tanks

Oh yeah, I only play in my friend's basement and none of us have bought a new mini in like 4 years. But its still annoying how blatantly obvious the power creep is, the game is worse than poo poo like MtG

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah, I only play in my friend's basement and none of us have bought a new mini in like 4 years. But its still annoying how blatantly obvious the power creep is, the game is worse than poo poo like MtG

check out my brand new "Ultramarine legion Sicaran battle tank" :twisted:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

d3lness posted:

The only people that claim WH:F died because of Age of Sigmar are grognards are chuds who don't like female figures on a table that aren't scantily clad war engine decorations. WH:F had a a dying and aging community. AoS is their attempt to bring an old game into modern times and it's working fine. Their boxed games are especially good (if not money hungry). Underworlds is extremely fun and the Killteam analog I don't remember the name of seems to be getting it's fair share of praise.

I don't have any opinions on AoS (other than the main faction looks kinda space-marine-y?), but I do know that WH:F is properly dead, there's no new armybooks nor rulebooks, officially discontinued etc. Whether or not it was discontinued explicitly for a reboot (as the other said, and you deride) is less relevant than me not being able to borrow a mate's army and play in a tourney anymore, I miss that.

Wheeling and flanking and poo poo was cool, I liked that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Serephina posted:

I don't have any opinions on AoS (other than the main faction looks kinda space-marine-y?), but I do know that WH:F is properly dead, there's no new armybooks nor rulebooks, officially discontinued etc. Whether or not it was discontinued explicitly for a reboot (as the other said, and you deride) is less relevant than me not being able to borrow a mate's army and play in a tourney anymore, I miss that.

Warhammer: The Old World is in the works, that way everyone who bought round bases for their fantasy models to convert to Age of Sigmar will have to buy square bases again so they can play proper fantasy once more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Warhammer Fantasy was very specifically ended for the intended purpose of launching Age of Sigmar. There is no debate about it. Anyone who claims otherwise is flatly wrong. It is a matter of fact, not opinion.

As far as Fantasy/AoS video games go, I do think it's telling that the vast majority of games produced since the split (and 100% of the good ones) have been set in Fantasy, not AoS. Kind of like how all the new Star Wars games are still being set in the Empire versus Rebels era, with a little bit of clone wars. Nobody wants to touch the sequel trilogy for games.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 29, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Serephina posted:

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything movement tray based. My personal favorite moment was wiping my buddy's unit of chaos warriors off the field with a flanking unit of rats and no deaths in eitherr side. I miss the extra love you could put into your army by basing your trays. Saying AoS isn't WH:F is bogus though. I'll leave my part of the derail at it's still WH:F if you like the changes or not and arguing otherwise is just tracking edition numbers and not the spirit of the game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
warhammer fantasy players talking about age of sigmar reminds me of when 4th edition D&D came out. dont worry guys its still there they cant take away your square bases or your WH:F rulebooks

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rutibex posted:

warhammer fantasy players talking about age of sigmar reminds me of when 4th edition D&D came out. dont worry guys its still there they cant take away your square bases or your WH:F rulebooks

To be fair, clinging on to an old edition makes it difficult to find other players (if playing against strangers is your thing) and theres no more official support for rules issues.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

To be fair, clinging on to an old edition makes it difficult to find other players (if playing against strangers is your thing) and theres no more official support for rules issues.

What are you taking about, just go to a retirement home and you'll find plenty of people to play 8th(?) edition with.

On a game note, I'm happy EO: mystery dungeon 2 didn't come to the US. I just tried getting into 1 yet again and boy howdy does mystery dungeon combat not work with EO. Especially when you have to fight in a hallway and the back AI just decides to take a vacation. Oh, manually controlling your party of 4 would fix that? To bad it uses your burst because reasons!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Like just dont buy it? Nobody is holding a gun to your head? I've never understood the disdain for paying for cosmetic items, not that I ever would myself. Let people spend their money on whatever dumb poo poo they want to buy

While your point is valid, that also represents time and effort that went into producing something stupid instead of something good.

It's a moot point though because Blizzard is no longer capable of producing good things (Starcraft 2's co-op mode is excellent but just a fluke imo, for a hypothetical Starcraft 3 release I'm certain they'd somehow reach the decision to scrap it entirely)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

While your point is valid, that also represents time and effort that went into producing something stupid instead of something good.

It's a moot point though because Blizzard is no longer capable of producing good things (Starcraft 2's co-op mode is excellent but just a fluke imo, for a hypothetical Starcraft 3 release I'm certain they'd somehow reach the decision to scrap it entirely)

Each individual one is almost no time and effort to produce though? It's a couple hours in a sound booth + the legal cost of drafting the paperwork to sign. Once they added the framework to add them in there really wasn't a reason not to go nuts. Especially if they sold at those prices.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Each individual one is almost no time and effort to produce though? It's a couple hours in a sound booth + the legal cost of drafting the paperwork to sign. Once they added the framework to add them in there really wasn't a reason not to go nuts. Especially if they sold at those prices.

Sure, once everything is already setup then it's easier. But you weren't able to buy voice packs on day 1 so dev time went into modifying the UI and the game itself to even offer that as an option. There's also art that goes along with new voice packs, especially for promotional material. Presumably some QA is done to make sure that the voice packs work correctly, especially the first time the voice pack system was rolled out. It probably took a small team of people some non-negligible amount of time to develop, integrate, and test the ability to purchase voice packs.

Those hours are a slam dunk in terms of a revenue-generator but not very impactful to people playing the game. It's natural to wonder if it would have been better for that team to work on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Warhammer IP let in a ton of developed-for-mobile shovelware (loving chess games, lol who buys this poo poo) in the years after THQ's dissolution, but seems to be coming back together in some areas post-new management at GW. Warhammer Total War has a lot of issues but old GW doesn't seem like a company that would have let it even happen.