Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

JeansW posted:

Does anyone have a link to the episode where the guests walked out because they basically had no idea what the format of the show was and were apparently appalled at the kinds of calls Loveline answers. I think they were a British band or something like that.

It's The Darkness if that helps you find it, but I don't have the file on this machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

http://www.lovelinearchive.com/search.cgi?searchstring=darkness

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow, the Darkness is pretty much the worst band in existence. They've had lovely bands on plenty of times, but at least they don't walk out in the middle of a show, and a lot of them are surprisingly entertaining despite whatever their music is like (for example, Violent J, by himself and with the other guy in Insane Clown Posse, they're my favorite out of all the music guests I've heard so far). But these guys are boring AND they make lovely music. They must have just been on there to plug their poo poo, they didn't even pretend to know anything about the drat show.

On a related note, I was disappointed with the older show where they had Tenacious D as guests. I was expecting something incredible, because it's Tenacious D! Team them up with Loveline to answer questions about vaginas all night and I expected pure magic, but it ended up being really average. They came in late, which was understandable because they were doing the Tonight Show beforehand, but that kind of threw the whole thing off and then the show just never really picked up. And Jack Black seemed to get almost offended when Adam Carolla compared the movie School of Rock to some weird type of car, which made for some awkwardness.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
I have found one of the fabled episodes:

Loveline - 2002-11-27

A drunken 23 year old college drop out challenges Drew to a dictionary contest (who can find words the fastest) and wins. Heroic.

Legendary episodes always seem to appear around System of a down (which are legendary by themselves) - Between this one and the wart exam, its great.

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow, the Darkness is pretty much the worst band in existence. They've had lovely bands on plenty of times, but at least they don't walk out in the middle of a show, and a lot of them are surprisingly entertaining despite whatever their music is like (for example, Violent J, by himself and with the other guy in Insane Clown Posse, they're my favorite out of all the music guests I've heard so far). But these guys are boring AND they make lovely music. They must have just been on there to plug their poo poo, they didn't even pretend to know anything about the drat show.

Why do people constantly flip out and totally exaggerate what happened with The Darkness. They thought they were going on a show to just promote their album and band. It turned out they went on a show to mostly help answer serious questions about peoples personal problems. They did not feel qualified or comfortable participating so they left. They mentioned as they were leaving that they had great respect for what Adam and Drew did and were sorry to disappoint any fans looking forward to hearing them. I don't even like the Darkness but I don't see a reason to fault them that much for that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

So they were just on to plug their poo poo then.

Yeah I listened to it so I know what happened, but why would they know so little about what radio show they were going to be spending two hours on? They've had all kinds of guests, and most of them seem to at least have some idea of who the cast is and what the show is about.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Yeah, but they also had many guests who thought Drew was just a love doctor.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Why do people constantly flip out and totally exaggerate what happened with The Darkness. They thought they were going on a show to just promote their album and band. It turned out they went on a show to mostly help answer serious questions about peoples personal problems. They did not feel qualified or comfortable participating so they left. They mentioned as they were leaving that they had great respect for what Adam and Drew did and were sorry to disappoint any fans looking forward to hearing them. I don't even like the Darkness but I don't see a reason to fault them that much for that.

I agree with you to a degree, it's not like they stormed out or insulted the show. They explained on-air why they were leaving and said they respected what Adam and Drew were doing but didn't feel like they could help with it.

The important points are that:

1) They obviously were not informed AT ALL about what the show was like.
2) They were completely shocked at the seriousness of the calls.
3) They weren't content to remain mostly silent like many other guests do (which I think Adam would let them get away with) and leave after the first hour.

I listened to all the shows in the archive and it's basically the reaction I'd been waiting for. Many famous people get on the show without knowing what it was about and it is interesting to see how they react to it. Some open up about their personal lives, and some equivocate and keep up their media personality. The Darkness are the only guests I know about who have publicly said that they aren't comfortable with the content and left on-air. I suspect that many other guests who had to leave after an hour because of an "early day tomorrow" politely asked if they could leave early and were given an on-air excuse.

It's just one of those rare honest moments you get in (what I think of as) big-time media. I don't disrespect them for their reaction, but the honest "we-can't-handle-this" confession was very rare for Loveline guests.

Also Adam insulted them on later shows so that may indicate that they said other things off-air that he judged as rear end-holeish.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!
Adam Carolla hasn't made a guest appearance on Loveline since he left, has he? If he has, where's that episode!? :eek:

bigbowlowrong
Dec 15, 2006

by Ozma

Jagfire posted:

Adam Carolla hasn't made a guest appearance on Loveline since he left, has he? If he has, where's that episode!? :eek:
There has been bad blood between Adam and Drew from just before ther cohosting ended all the way up until the present day. I would be surprised if Adam went back to be a guest on Loveline when he has his own show anyway.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

bigbowlowrong posted:

There has been bad blood between Adam and Drew from just before ther cohosting ended all the way up until the present day. I would be surprised if Adam went back to be a guest on Loveline when he has his own show anyway.

What bad blood? Drew was on his show a couple months ago. I pretty sure it has something to do with the competing stations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Loveline, eh? That brings back some memories.

I worked evenings in the AOL call center on Ogden quite a while ago. I'd leave work right near midnight and would listen to the remainder of the show on the drive home.

After a couple of months I'd gotten tired of missing the first half of every show. I set up an scheduled task on one of my PCs which would launch Winamp, connect to the audio stream from KSL(?). Next task fired up Totalrecorder, which converted and saved the audio to mp3 on-the-fly. I'd later dump the files onto my mp3 player and listen to them in the car.

I had just under a years worth of shows saved up... until I ran low on disk space and started deleting the ones which I'd listened to already. :cry:

I stopped recording them late in 2000 or 2001, as the stations which were streaming the show were forced to stop for contractual reasons.

I just took a look in my archives. I have less than 2 months worth of files left - dating from 10-31 through 12-19. I am not sure of the year - they've been moved a couple of times, so the original timestamps are lost. I'm not sure whether the recordings are any good... towards the end I was having a difficult time with streams not connecting, or timing out, or having big spots of dead air in them. I'd certainly be willing to post them somewhere once I verify that they aren't complete poo poo. :)

A side note. There was one show which featured some weird band. One of the bandmembers was high or stoned or off his meds (pick any two). This guy went beserk, started screaming obscenities and began tearing up the studio... everyone bailed out the exits, leaving the insane guy inside, chewing the furniture.

THIS WAS ALL BROADCAST LIVE.

I remember the show ending with Mike (or Anderson) cutting the feed from the studio, then getting on his own mike and saying "I hope no one is still listening, but Loveline is over, there's been an accident, I don't think we'll be on tomorrow..." etc.

I think this was in 1999?

This was among my deleted mp3s!! :doh:

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

buttcrackmenace posted:

I remember the show ending with Mike (or Anderson) cutting the feed from the studio, then getting on his own mike and saying "I hope no one is still listening, but Loveline is over, there's been an accident, I don't think we'll be on tomorrow..." etc.

I think this was in 1999?

This was among my deleted mp3s!! :doh:

That was Pennywise's guitarist Fletcher. It was 1999, June I think.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Jagfire posted:

That was Pennywise's guitarist Fletcher. It was 1999, June I think.

I just listened to them replay a clip of this. It was from sometime around July 2003, very possibly on the 2003-7-27 Me First & the Gimme Gimmes episode. I'll check later and update this post.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Our favorite goat-raper makes a call to Loveline a few weeks back:

http://rapidshare.com/files/70253688/Hot_Hot_Heat.mp3

Edit: And here's an awesome show with Patton Oswalt from a few weeks back as well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/70394931/Patton_Oswalt.mp3

Jubs fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 17, 2007

caffeinefree
Aug 5, 2003

2010: Year of M&M
Just a reminder for Thanksgiving :)

quote:

“This is a classic recipe,” Adam states. “I’m not going to F it up.” Thanksgiving is supposed to be simple, he says. This is a simple holiday. Keep things nice and simple. Don’t even play around with pies, he says. “Stick to the pumpkin, or the apple.”

All of this started because Adam was tired of people spending ten hours in the kitchen cooking, and then just popping open a can of cranberry sauce.

Step One: Get yourself a sack of cranberries. If you’re going to have eight or ten people over, get two sacks. Just buy them — they last for over two months.

Step Two: Take a cup of water per sack, and a cup of sugar as well. Adam prefers to go lighter in the sugar, though, because you can’t take sugar out. Start with a half-cup of sugar, and add more to taste.

Step Three: Boil the sugar and the water in a sauce pan, and once it comes to a boil, pour in the cranberries. Then put a lid on it, and let it simmer. That’s all you do. It’s as easy as cooking a can of soup.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

bigbowlowrong posted:

There is no bad blood. They now work for rival companies, so they can't have each other on each other's show. Plus, they acknowledge that that era of loveline is over, so doing shows together isn't necessary.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret

Brekelefuw posted:

There is no bad blood. They now work for rival companies, so they can't have each other on each other's show. Plus, they acknowledge that that era of loveline is over, so doing shows together isn't necessary.

Dr Drew's been on the Adam Carolla show a few times. And Adam was on Strictly Dr Drew on Discovery Health.

http://podcast.971freefm.com/klsx1/696668.mp3
http://podcast.971freefm.com/klsx1/9244.mp3
http://podcast.971freefm.com/klsx1/37137.mp3 (not dr drew, but about dr drew/travelling on loveline)

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd still like to know why that guy said there was bad blood between the two. They always talked about how much they liked each other. It make me sad for some reason to think they might be feuding about something.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Bender posted:

I'd still like to know why that guy said there was bad blood between the two. They always talked about how much they liked each other. It make me sad for some reason to think they might be feuding about something.
There is no overt bad blood other than Adam thinking Drew is a complete and total puss (which he really is) and Drew thinking Adam's show sucks (which it really does :shobon: ) and that he's not as dedicated a father as he could and should be, seeing as how he spends practically all his time away from his family. Could be worse, all things considered.

Quick request for information: Anyone remember which episode it was where the entire first 30 or so minutes was a single long story Adam (and Drew, but mostly Adam) had about the previous night's drive home, complete with an on-ramp backup and the harrowing escape from it over a female traffic officer's bullhorning otherwise (SILVER TAURUS DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT MAKE A HOOOOOOOLE)?

spl00zer
Sep 11, 2001

•‡•
I've listened to Loveline on Adam's second week co-hosting the show and have listened to it every night up to the very last show that he did. Never once heard the new version with Stryker because everyone knows he's a douche and no good. Listened to Adam's new show for a few weeks but it just wasn't the same. He's not as funny and he's holding back. Plus, Danny ruins everything.

Adam + Dr. Drew on Loveline was the best thing in radio history and I'm glad I have almost all the 2000+ episodes archived!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So did anyone end up finding the episode when Fletcher freaks out?
The archives don't have many episodes in 1999.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Alexandr posted:

Quick request for information: Anyone remember which episode it was where the entire first 30 or so minutes was a single long story Adam (and Drew, but mostly Adam) had about the previous night's drive home, complete with an on-ramp backup and the harrowing escape from it over a female traffic officer's bullhorning otherwise (SILVER TAURUS DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT MAKE A HOOOOOOOLE)?

It is a no guest show from late 2003, I remember hearing it.

I have to start putting good moments from the show into the notes in the ID3 tags of iTunes.

Not Zilon
Jan 9, 2007

No one will ever know it's me!

Inzombiac posted:

So did anyone end up finding the episode when Fletcher freaks out?
The archives don't have many episodes in 1999.

Digging around, it seems that the Fletcher episode aired on June 7th, 1999. Does anyone happen to have it sitting around in their personal archives?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry. I swear that all of Loveline's episodes were compiled by between 1 and 3 people. If they didn't have it, nobody does.

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag
The Fletcher incident occured before Adam was on the show. In 1999 Pennywise came on again and Adam explains that it occured 5 or 6 years beforehand, and then plays the old clip.

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/1990s/Loveline%20-%201999-06-07%20(Pennywise%20-%20Fletcher%20vomit%20clip%20-%20poo%20poo%20city).mp3

Sorry for the large file size, that's how I found it and I don't know how to make it smaller.

Ultimos fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 28, 2007

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I listened to everything in the archive and (since this thread is still going) I recommend listening to the November 8, 2007 episode at https://www.lovelineshow.com for a modern Loveline show where Stryker is sick, so it's just Dr. Drew and Andy Dick.

It's interesting to hear how Drew has grown into a more pro-active role as a radio host, and how the Andy-Dick-on-Loveline saga continues nowadays. Drew seems much more comfortable dismissing the callers after he gives them his advice.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

spl00zer posted:

Plus, Danny ruins everything.

If you think that, thn thank god you never heard it when Dave Damachek (or however the gently caress it's spelled) was on...

Lefty_dude
Aug 1, 2004

For those lazy enough not to download stuff or are at work or something, I found a shoutcast stream that plays a random episode at:

http://challenger.phil21.net:8000/listen.pls

p.s You're GAY

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Ultimos posted:

The Fletcher incident occured before Adam was on the show. In 1999 Pennywise came on again and Adam explains that it occured 5 or 6 years beforehand, and then plays the old clip.

https://www.ngsam.com/ultimos/Loveline - 1999-06-07 (Pennywise - Fletcher vomit clip - poo poo city).mp3

If someone could spare my bandwidth a little and put that on lovelinecentral that'd be awesome. (I can't seem to upload it)

Wow, thanks for this, you're really under-selling it. This is the second appearance of Pennywise, in which Fletch barricades the studio with a hand grenade and threatens to take everyone to "poo poo city".

I've heard this mentioned many times on the archived shows, but it's great to hear it live. Toward the end of the show you hear Fletch getting crazy, then they play a whole song after coming back from break to cover themselves. Then they come back and try to take a call but Fletch blocks the door and threatens them with a live hand grenade while the cops are outside the door. At the end you hear one band member and Producer Ann trying to end the show then it awkwardly cuts off.

Nyo
Apr 15, 2006
Cé hé d'athair?

Ultimos posted:

https://www.ngsam.com/ultimos/Loveline - 1999-06-07 (Pennywise - Fletcher vomit clip - poo poo city).mp3

If someone could spare my bandwidth a little and put that on lovelinecentral that'd be awesome. (I can't seem to upload it)
You could cut the size of that file in half and still have a listenable show. That'd help your bandwidth a bit.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Nyo posted:

You could cut the size of that file in half and still have a listenable show. That'd help your bandwidth a bit.

But the last ten minutes are the best! Did you listen to it all?

Nyo
Apr 15, 2006
Cé hé d'athair?

Malachi Constant posted:

Not yet, I was just referring to the fact that he encoded it at 128 kb/s which is unnecessarily high for a talk radio show.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

True, but the stereo separation and audio quality is nice for such a legendary show.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

spl00zer posted:

Adam + Dr. Drew on Loveline was the best thing in radio history and I'm glad I have almost all the 2000+ episodes archived!

Would you be so kind as to upload any of them? That would kick rear end.

caffeinefree
Aug 5, 2003

2010: Year of M&M

Malachi Constant posted:

It's interesting to hear how Drew has grown into a more pro-active role as a radio host, and how the Andy-Dick-on-Loveline saga continues nowadays. Drew seems much more comfortable dismissing the callers after he gives them his advice.

It still seems really off. Drew needs that bitter rear end in a top hat to make the show complete :(

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Malachi Constant posted:

Oh my god that was so ludicrous and epic.

"I... Adam you forced me to do this I'm going to have to take you to poo poo city"

How the gently caress did he have a live grenade?

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Ultimos posted:

Sorry, I was in hospital. I've put this up on my hosting if you want to take it off yours

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/1990s/Loveline%20-%201999-06-07%20(Pennywise%20-%20Fletcher%20vomit%20clip%20-%20poo%20poo%20city).mp3

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

buttcrackmenace posted:

I stopped recording them late in 2000 or 2001, as the stations which were streaming the show were forced to stop for contractual reasons.

I just took a look in my archives. I have less than 2 months worth of files left - dating from 10-31 through 12-19. I am not sure of the year - they've been moved a couple of times, so the original timestamps are lost. I'm not sure whether the recordings are any good... towards the end I was having a difficult time with streams not connecting, or timing out, or having big spots of dead air in them. I'd certainly be willing to post them somewhere once I verify that they aren't complete poo poo. :)

You can probably figure out the years by listening to which guests are on and comparing with the llarchive. If you have some that aren't available, please do share :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
Can anyone tell me the name of the masturbation song that starts at 84:45 on 2001-10-17? It's loving hilarious.

• Locked thread