Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

E the Shaggy posted:

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.
Option b along with corollary c: change your phone number and don't tell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
One of my old jobs I had a boss who had this amazing knack for telling me to do poo poo and then conveniently forgetting he told me a few days later. I'd ask him about making an entry, he'd say "don't waste your time" and chide me for asking dumb questions. Well, when I didn't do it and his boss asked why these numbers didn't make sense, guess who wasn't doing his job?

For any of you dealing with a lovely job: seriously your last day on the job feels like someone took a crowbar and pried all of the bullshit out of your life. It's just loving remarkable and makes you feel amazing. :) Keep your head up and keep applying, it'll eventually happen.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

For any of you dealing with a lovely job: seriously your last day on the job feels like someone took a crowbar and pried all of the bullshit out of your life. It's just loving remarkable and makes you feel amazing. :) Keep your head up and keep applying, it'll eventually happen.

Three weeks, I tell myself. Three weeks and I pry off Level 1 Help Desk support and move onto greener (hopefully) pastures.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I'm an entry-level bureaucrat in a rather prestigious Canadian Government department, I'm not quite sure how I managed to get this job, but I squeezed in some how. The amount of smugness I encounter from people within my department (but mainly different branches actually) is astounding. Yes, you work at a high level department, but god damnit its not really all that glamorous... you're an office grunt that toils away crunching out policy documents and the standards are clearly not that high to get in (if I managed to swing it...) I mean, poo poo, if it were CSIS (Canada's CIA) or something, that may be worthy of being a bit smug about.

Here's the biggest problem with the Canadian government, because we are a bilingual country we must be able to provide services to the public in both English and French. Seems reasonable, right? But hang on, not only does service have to be available in both English and French, every employee must be able to deliver the service in both English and French. It gets more messed up when you realize that every employee has the right to be managed and work in the language of their choice, so therefore every single federal employee must be billingual. Some of us (like yours truly) squeeze our way in despite only knowing English, but we either never become full-time employees or if we do manage to swing that, are ineligible for promotions until we get our French levels up. All employees can attend taxpayer-funded second language training, and most toil away at it for years, to manage to achieve career advancement. The worst part is? Talk to just about any Federal employee at more or less any level on the org-charts, and they will tell you that they never need to use French. That, and only something like 5-10% of the country is unilingual French. Just make sure every "front line" government operation is staffed by billingual folk or there is always atleast one French employee on hand and be done with it and save millions.

On another rant, the government is so risk-averse that they end up taking unnecessary risks. Our software is so outdated that I'm not even allowed to specify what we use for security reasons.

The Anti-Stupid
Jan 4, 2008

AnnoyingWoman posted:

I worked a job where we had a request form to request an order form for more request forms. :saddowns: That was only the beginning of the hilarious inefficiencies.

But at least you got a promotion for a previous job well done, and you're no longer suffering through the mindless drudgery of endlessly scrubbing floors, right?

It has to be an improvement.

What does Floyd think of the new job?

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit

E the Shaggy posted:

So the office admin calls me into her office and tells me that the 23 year old receptionist is going to fill my position because she's worked on "newsletters and stuff in the past".

:v:

Keep in mind, I'm the firm's MARKETING DIRECTOR. I handled a million dollar budget, managed the website, took care of the marketing needs of 30 attorneys, hosted seminars, sponsored events, published articles in major publications, got clients for the firm, etc etc.

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.

Train her, then drop them an email two weeks later offering consulting services at 500$ a day.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

E the Shaggy posted:

There's an older secretary in my office who works down the hall who clears her throat every 30 minutes. I can hear her everytime she does it as if she were sitting right next to me, thats how loud it is. Its the most disgusting poo poo ever.

Okay, now imagine that, if it actually was less than ten feet away from you, every ten to fifteen minutes. I am completely not exaggerating here. All day long, I was assaulted by disgusting throat clearing on two sides of me and I think I may have damaged my hearing because of how loud I had to turn up my headphones to drown them out. For fucks sakes, I'm a heavy smoker and I don't nearly have the sort of problems these guys had.

Dr. Steve Brule
Mar 8, 2010

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Okay, now imagine that, if it actually was less than ten feet away from you, every ten to fifteen minutes. I am completely not exaggerating here. All day long, I was assaulted by disgusting throat clearing on two sides of me and I think I may have damaged my hearing because of how loud I had to turn up my headphones to drown them out. For fucks sakes, I'm a heavy smoker and I don't nearly have the sort of problems these guys had.

This happened to me when I was an intern, I was sitting next to a chronic throat clearer. There was an intern who sat on the other side of the cube wall from me who got so pissed off that every time she cleared her throat, he would do the same, but LOUDER. By the end of the day he was practically barking. :laugh:

One good thing about corporate though is the constant re-orgs got us moved to another wing so we didn't have to hear her after that. Now I sit by a guy who chews ice all day. :(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Okay, now imagine that, if it actually was less than ten feet away from you, every ten to fifteen minutes. I am completely not exaggerating here. All day long, I was assaulted by disgusting throat clearing on two sides of me and I think I may have damaged my hearing because of how loud I had to turn up my headphones to drown them out.
In my final year of college, a student started to frequent the computer lab who did that throat-clearing-through-the-nasal cavity thing ("*sniiiiiff*caugh*ahem*") louder than anyone else I've ever met.

Every 5 minutes.

We timed him for 30 minutes because we couldn't get any work done.

Zork
Oct 28, 2005
a little phosphoric acid never hurt anyone

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is a 100% accurate conversation I've had with management, namely the head of accounting who is a loving shrew that makes everyone's lives a living hell.

:byodame:: You were late today, and company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: Um, I was like 30 seconds late because the huge delivery truck parked out front is blocking employee parking stalls and I had to find another place to park.
:byodame:: Company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: Um ok, well I had to stay late yesterday so that counts right?
:byodame:: Company policy states that if you are late you must stay 15 minutes later today.
Me: So you only care that I'm 30 seconds late, but you don't care that there is a huge truck outside blocking employee parking, or that I've been staying 15-30 minutes late on my own time for the last week to finish a rush job that management has hosed up.
:byodame:: That's right I don't care.
Me: So you don't care about the employees at all?
:byodame:: No, I don't.

No amount of money is worth dealing with poo poo like this.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Ran into another one just now. Corporate math, and the magic of numbers...

My company purchase services from third-parties and sell them on as our own. Nothing unusual there. However, the math involved in calculating the margin on this is mind-boggling, even though it's relatively simple percentages.

The way it was first explained to me was that we take the price the third party gave us, add 10% for internal cost and then another 20% as margin. Should be a fairly simple calculation, yeah? Cost * 1,1 * 1,2 = Sell price. This will all in all add 32% to the cost price. Steep, but not unheard of.

Not so. When they say 20% margin, they mean that the margin should be 20% of the total sell price, so the calculation will be Cost * 1,1 / 0,8 = Sell price. This adds 37.5%, so it's a lot steeper.

But thanks to the magic of corporate math, somehow this turns into 28.5% uplift. Not 32%, not 37.5% and certainly not the 27.3% you'll get if you calculate in reverse starting from the sell price.

Where the hell do 28.5% come from?

:iiam:

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I burned out on Corporate America long ago, but Corporate Academia is much the same, especially if the Assistant Dean reads all those bullshit business books. Instead of running the Advising office like a Academic institution (my previous job had been run like this) the rear end. Dean ran it like Office Space. To take ANY time off I needed a bullshit request form, made by her, send it to her, get it signed then ship to HR to get the vacation time or portion thereof deducted. The best part is that I forgot to do this on my first 16 hours, so it never got deducted. I found the signed, but still unsent sheet as I was cleaning out. I threw it away and got paid those 16 hours when I got my vacation pay sent to me.

To do anything meant a loving meeting. In fact, we had weekly meetings, all five of us (including two Administrative Assistants). So we would sit around the huge table meant for 20 and talk about our week. After that the meeting would degrade into the two women running the office going back and forth or talking about recycling. Any ideas from myself or the other new people brought on board were "looked into" or outright shot down.

We had rules about printer use as well. If I needed a color printout I needed to ask permission from the rear end. Dean. I had my own laser printer, so anything else was not a problem. Except that printer paper was a valuable commodity. You see, if I needed to use my laser printer I was supposed to use paper that had already been used, I could use the other side! Reduce, reuse, recycle, right? Problem is, it looked like poo poo, especially if I am printing degree audit forms for students. What, you don't want your final college Degree Audit on the reverse side of some bullshit report? Too bad, regular paper was under lock and loving key. My argument that it looked like poo poo and made us look unprofessional as hell went ignored, as I was getting used too. I finally convinced the cute girl working the front desk to get me new printer paper when I needed it. Whenever the rear end. Dean was not there I also went to town on the color printer.

My philosophy of student advising and the rear end. Deans was opposite. Despite the fact I have three years of excellent advising experience she still insisted in sitting in on every advising meeting I had for four months. I had to go get her, every time. I got reprimanded when I did not do it. She would often take over for me and I would sit there, like an idiot while she either contradicted me or ignored me. With "my" advisees.

I would often leave my lights on, my door cracked and escape out the window to do whatever I needed to do or just to go and hangout at the coffee shop or record store. My office was on the ground floor, so why not? If anybody said anything I "was in the bathroom" which I always went to the 3rd floor anyway because it was cleaner. I would sneak out as soon as 4:30 hit as well. We all got yelled at for this, because me and my opposite number (he handled retention) always left ASAP because we could not stand the place. After playing it straight for a month, we went right back to the old habit.

Eventually I just started doing many do; I retreated. I closed my office door with only an inch or so left open. I sat at the weekly meetings like a slack jawed idiot. I left for lunch and often returned far later than I should have. I slept in my office. I explored the depths of the internet far beyond what most are able to. And I started using my power to help students in a way that the rear end. Dean would never do. I had power over the system to equate transfer credits, 100 percent, no questions asked. I developed my own system that worked pretty well and sounded really good. But I also transferred based on how cool the student was, how hot a female student was, where they were from also factored in. I never would cheat on needed courses like Calc for Engineers or Chem for Pre-Meds, but on bullshit like language and non-required stuff I would make magic happen. I cut the bullshit and it was wonderful. It was the only part of the job that made me feel like I actually did any good.

I only was there for a year, I started looking about a month in after the acclimatization period told me how much bullshit this job had. I was miserable, really depressed and hating life. Now I'm happy, and love coming in to what I do everyday. The turnover in this job is absolutely spectacular. I lasted a year, most last two or three. The women that was hired 6 months after me was supposed to be there two years, a guaranteed two years at a half ways decent salary. She expected to be there two years as well. She lasted one. The guy that took my position, from what I hear, is absolutely miserable. He's stuck, with a family and slim prospect of anything new. The final new hire is dreading it, because the notice from the cute AA was just given. He will be all alone with only the rear end. Dean, her second in command and my replacement. And he just bought a house. Ouch.

At one point I was very vocal about gutting and cleaning a fish on my desk so that nobody would ever bother me again. I was very, very serious about this as well. I don't even like fish that much.

Oh, poo poo, just remembered another one: Around Christmas break of that year we each in the office received a list of 100 probation students to call. At home. Over break. Now, I'll be honest, I was pretty disillusioned by this point and I hate, hate, HATE talking on the phone when e-mail is about as effective. So I called 5 numbers. One answered, I left messages for the rest and never heard back. The one that answered was OK, but was not even coming back. The e-mails I sent actually got more responses and turned out better. I just said, in the weekly meeting, that I left lots of messages. I never heard about this project again, either.

Burning Beard fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 23, 2010

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
loving status reports. So much effort crafting the perfect corporate-speak written summary of what you've been doing, that nobody ever loving reads so you get asked questions about status anyway but if you don't file the TPS report you get lectured later.

My group files weekly written status reports. We also have an hour long team meeting every week to talk about our status for the week. Right there, one of the two wastes of time should be dropped if they really cared about efficiency.

But it gets better. I work from home(*) 90% of the time and management is extremely distrusting that remote workers get anything done (and at the same time hire boatloads of people in Bangalore and Hyderabad, go figure), so I have to file DAILY written status reports that roll up into the weekly. This takes about half an hour per day at the level of detail they want, plus an hour to write the weekly, plus another hour to sit through the weekly meeting. It's a ridiculous duplication of effort, and duplication of wasted effort at that. If they'd just pick one format of status reporting and actually pay attention to it, I wouldn't care, but three that are all ultimately ignored is a bit much.

(* You might think that working from home is a huge perk but I guarantee you that it isn't. It's true that you escape commuting and dress code hassles, but it comes with a huge pack of offsetting bullshit of its own.)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I came back from lunch to find a t-shirt on my chair. It's a cheap silk screen advertising our mail change over from local Exchange to Microsoft cloud email. WTF? We spent money on this? I don't get a raise this year because of the "economy" but I get a shirt that makes zero loving sense outside of the office?

I want to stab a puppy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Better than that! Unless you guys allow casual clothes, you can't even wear it in the one place it'd make sense! :D

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sundae posted:

Better than that! Unless you guys allow casual clothes, you can't even wear it in the one place it'd make sense! :D

Point. Set. Match.

BRB, gonna go see if I can jam the paper shredder with it.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I was a desk-jockey for a few years. Putting in my two weeks there was the best God-drat decision of my life. People are right in this thread when they say the last two weeks are the best weeks of your life. I liked the people I worked with, but my boss was a overbearing sociopath, who landed his position because he was friends with the operations manager, who in turn landed his job because he grew up next door to the VP of marketing.

He would routinely dump work on us that was given to him that he didn’t want to do, and usually with instructions to drop everything else he had assigned to us and focus solely on the new task. However, as soon as you finished said task and reported to him, his only response was generally, “Why didn’t you finish the rest of your work? We don’t pay you to slack off!”. He also had an rear end-kisser of an assistant who walked on water and could do no wrong. One time she fell behind on a huge amount of work, and he had her dump it on me. Shortly after, he gave me one of his “super imperative, drop everything” tasks. Well, for some reason I was never clear on, he was going through my desk one morning (WTF?!?) and found the work his assistant had given me, that he authorized, and had told me to put off. He called me into his office to chew me out, raving and swearing up a storm, and wrote me up for not doing my job. Never mind it was someone else’s work which they hadn’t done, which he told me to put off. Guy was a cock.

He was also a pretty big idiot. He couldn’t spell, had terrible grammar, and assumed he was always right or knew everything. One of my more menial tasks was to order office supplies when they ran low. One time I ordered a ruler for someone, and because the item description on the website was poorly written, I ordered 15 (for a whopping $5…). When he asked about how I made the mistake, I linked him the item’s description that didn’t include the quantity. He e-mailed me back that it clearly stated there we’re 12 in the packaging (there were 15). He was referring to the line that stated, “rulers are 12” in length.”

E the Shaggy posted:

So the office admin calls me into her office and tells me that the 23 year old receptionist is going to fill my position because she's worked on "newsletters and stuff in the past".

This was the best part though.

When I finally had enough of it, and put in my two weeks, his plan to replace me was to just roll my position into the responsibilities of, yup, the receptionist. God bless that well-meaning woman’s heart, but she never stood a chance. Somehow, she was expected to take my entire 8 hour workload, and fit it into her 8 hour workload, and answer phones the whole time. She was in her late 40’s, and completely computer illiterate. I felt so bad for her when I had to spend literally 5+ hours teaching her how to do something as easy as copy/pasting information from a spreadsheet into a web based application and recording the results. I literally had to teach her how to right click with the mouse for menu options. In her 6+ years working there, she had never used the right mouse click. Ever. Never mind what happened when we actually got into using Excel itself. You could see the panic in her eyes as my last days rolled around, and she hadn’t grasped any of the stuff I had spent entire days trying to teach her.

I am so thankful that period of my life is long gone.

AnnoyingWoman
Dec 2, 2003

*has unhealthy obsession with Mathemagician.

The Anti-Stupid posted:

But at least you got a promotion for a previous job well done, and you're no longer suffering through the mindless drudgery of endlessly scrubbing floors, right?

It has to be an improvement.

What does Floyd think of the new job?

I was serious - that's what made it so eerie. I'd welcome a job scrubbing floors before going back to any corporate gig like that again.

POLISHER - COMIN' THROUGH!

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
So I figured out payroll made another error!

First, I was overpaid for a few months, so right before Christmas, they told me I owed them $1200 for an error they had made 3 months prior!

Well, I worked for free for 2 weeks, and NOW I figure out they accidentally sent me 2 paychecks back in September! Goodbye to another $1000.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I have a couple co-workers that have broken my spirit with their toxic attitudes. I'm one ill-composed thought away from crawling under my desk and bawling like a little girl. I just don't like being around them and I find I'm much more productive when they are out of the room. This job has made me made computers and the people who operate them.

It is bad enough that when I'm at home I don't use a computer unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise I just unplug my electronics and pet my cats. Sometimes I go for quiet drives into the country just to get away from the drama and lights of the city.

I really need a hug and a vacation. :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My office fired our IT guy just a couple months ago. He was literally the only person who knew how half our systems worked; we run a series of broadcast encoders and he was the only person who dealt with them. So, of course, we never bothered to get a replacement. Management just gave his responsibilities to the web designer, because "hey, he knows how to write Java programs and stuff, he can run tech in the production room!" I live in constant, crippling fear that something will take down a playout server and we'll be utterly hosed.

Also, my direct boss is a borderline-illiterate immigrant with a very poor grasp of english. Emails from him are incredibly rude and incomprehensible, face-to-face talks involve me repeating myself over and over until he grasps that I'm talking about Movie A as opposed to Movie ASDF, and I've (very infrequently) resorted to shouting at him when he blames me for his own gently caress-ups.

If you give me a list of footage to compile and encode, I will assume that there are no content issues with the majority of each piece of footage. Do not come screaming at me when this is wrong, because it is your own fault for giving me a 90% unacceptable video clip in the first place. And I don't give a gently caress if you don't like my graphic design; everyone else does, and you have repeatedly proven to have no comprehension of appealing broadcast design. YES, LET'S MAKE EVERYTHING BRIGHT RED, THAT WON'T BE HIDEOUS AT ALL :byodood:

After nine months on a project I really loved to do, I was transferred to this current position. I was told it was company philosophy because "people who work too long in one project become poisoned by the work and will destroy this company." I am about to begin my second year on the project I was transferred to. I am no longer happy. I am now far more liable to stop giving a gently caress and screw the company over than I was before the bullshit transfer. :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh yay. Yet another condescending email from a poo poo heel blaming me for something I have no control over and with no less than 30+ people in the CC box of said email. I've put up with this gently caress head for going on 3 years now. I swear to Christ All Mighty if there wasn't 1200 miles of distance between us he would be a Fixodent customer for loving life.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zork posted:

No amount of money is worth dealing with poo poo like this.

Yeah, I still feel bad I re-wrote their lisp commands to make all the drafters 15-20% faster. I don't feel sorry about not giving them the lisp stuff I was working on for the last month that would have cut drafting time for them by another 50%, or that on my last day I cleaned out the server and my personal computer of all references to those commands.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My office fired our IT guy just a couple months ago. He was literally the only person who knew how half our systems worked; we run a series of broadcast encoders and he was the only person who dealt with them. So, of course, we never bothered to get a replacement. Management just gave his responsibilities to the web designer, because "hey, he knows how to write Java programs and stuff, he can run tech in the production room!" I live in constant, crippling fear that something will take down a playout server and we'll be utterly hosed.

You reminded me of a great story my dad told me. He was a 38 year veteran of IBM (he started there when everything ran on vacuum tubes) and he was downsized during the big push in the 80's by management to save their own jobs by letting go their entire staff. A friend of his, who we will call Paul, because that is his name, was also let go. Paul ran the big bad mainframes in the basement of the huge city block size complex that IBM occupied. I can't begin to tell you what he really did but I am assured that the work he provided was absolutely essential to the continued running of the entire complex (from a computer stand point, not a building maintenance/environment stand point). So during the purge Paul takes the chance being offered for a cushy retirement package and goes to work at a living history museum because he loves re-enacting and being big history nerd in general. The three, fresh out of college, students they hired to replace him are introduced to their new position and all start to sweat profusely as they begin to admit that they have no idea how to maintain the ancient technology they are being asked to run. They all listed the programming language that the dinosaur-tech machines used on their resumes but only had a "I read about it in class during the first two weeks" understanding of the stuff and no real hands on knowledge of the equipment. After this realization came to light the department manager called Paul and asked him to come back, Paul said no. He was getting a really plush retirement check from Big Blue every two weeks as well as a good check from the museum, plus playing dress-up and waxing philosophic about the 1800's appealed to him. The manager kept calling and calling until Paul finally relented, he did come back for a year, as a trainer/consultant, to educate the three new hires. He worked two days a week and was paid his original weekly salary for just those two days plus he still retained his retirement payouts and kept working at the museum.

Take that you slash and burn middle managers; try quitting, I bet that more than covers the costs you need to lose from your departmental budgets.

Fake edit: My dad also got hired back later, doing an entirely different job, but he always laughed about getting a pay check and retirement check from IBM every week.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 23, 2010

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Baggins posted:

But thanks to the magic of corporate math, somehow this turns into 28.5% uplift. Not 32%, not 37.5% and certainly not the 27.3% you'll get if you calculate in reverse starting from the sell price.

Where the hell do 28.5% come from?

:iiam:

My theory; it's an arbitrary bullshit number made up between the 27.3 and 37.5% points so that no one will question it too hard, and that whoever did that is pocketing the extra 9%.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

slightpirate posted:

I really need a hug and a vacation. :(

:glomp: maybe take one day off and have a long weekend in the country?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Oh corporate culture, so many stories. I'll focus on my first job.

Out of school I started working as a low level tech for a company. Pay was terrible and in fact I wasnt even hired directly. I was a contracted employee that meant that I was paid on a per job basis doing high speed internet installs. Fifteen bucks a pop, but based entirely on how many installs the company brought in. This meant huge swings where I might have one day where I had 30 jobs to do, or come in the next day and have 0. Plus since I was a "contractor" this meant they didnt have to take tax or provide any over time or benefits.

I managed to work that job for a year before moving on. The second job I had was as a tech/admin for another company. Or so I thought. It turned out that the second company actually owned the first I had worked for, but I didnt actually find this out until the job was offered to me. I opted to move several hours away to a new city to work for them. I shouldnt have done it, but the glamour of my first "real" job with salary and benefits was just too good to pass up.

As it turned out my admin job was really phone tech support 24/7. And I mean that literally. I was the only tech person and I was expected to be available and on call every day any time, year round. Did I mention that because I was salaried I wasnt able to claim overtime or anyting for after hours support? As my supervisor told me at one point that overtime was "worked into" my salary. When I bothered to calculate my actual hourly wage according to hours I was putting in vs my cheques I found out I was actually making damned close to minimum wage!

My direct supervisor got his job when the guy above him left. While he was a nice enough guy, it was clear he didnt really have the knowledge or expertise to be running the IT for this company. His supervisor was a customer service manager with as far as I could tell, no tech experience at all. Made for some interesting times.

The sales people were clueless, but somehow since I was the tech guy, when stuff didnt work it was my fault. Like the time one of the head sales guys sold Windows only software to a Mac only client. When I told the client that the software wouldnt work for them, and the client subsequently cancelled, I got hauled into a meeting where I was blamed for not "just making it work".

Another client that we had left his "tech guy" to setup some equipment that we sold them. When I phoned out the "tech guy" explained to me that he was actually just a sales person on the floor of their store, and that to top it off he was in his own words "illiterate". I dont mean computer illiterate either I mean the guy could not actually read. I spent the next several days on the phone with this guy 8 hours at a time setting up this hardware by having him describe shapes and colors that he saw.

Awesomest WTF moment for me was one day while I was sitting in my cube and the company owner comes up to me. Im on the phone with a client of course, but he has me put them on hold because he needed to give me some instructions. OK sure. Put the client on hold and what does he want? Im supposed to move the Coke machine in our office from where it is now, to the other side of the office so its more accessible. When I asked him what equipment I should use for moving this his response was "you're a big guy, Im sure you can do it...just dont wreck the floor". I got off lucky with that one actually as there was a number on the side of the machine that you called for a rep to come out. They had the proper equipment, came out, and moved it.

So many stories! Like the time my direct supervisor was poking around in the corporate router and reset it to factory default. During the work day when all of our clients were connected into our systems. And of course he had never backed the settings up. lol. Fun times.

I could go on and one, but thankfully I work a much better job now as an actual admin. I dont deal with clients anymore and my coworkers actually have a clue.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
I've had a corporate job for about a month now, and I have just one question for those of you who have been doing it for years: How have you not shot yourself yet? I can already feel it draining my soul away.

hemanoncrack
Jan 23, 2003

I AM WET
I've been in a form of corporate America since I was 19 and I've had an up and down ride. I do IT and Accounting, and I've been in this niche position for almost 12 years now and it works out well for me. The biggest issue I have now is nobody seems to want to talk to each other on projects. Everyone is advised when we start something then the top execs run with their departments to get things done, but exclude key people (like IT) when having meetings and making decisions. By the time it comes around to implementing the project so many wrong assumptions have been made that I have to figure out how to make it work or they start over.

On the upside I get to wear jeans every day, have good relationships with all of the executive managers and can come and go as I please. I don't have the highest wage, but I do get OT and I just made it to 100k last year so I'm not complaining.

If I had to work in some places that you guys do I don't know what I would do.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

mastersord posted:

Similar issue in my office. Outside of the mail guy, I'm the youngest person in that office. I'm IT/Programming/Software development/Technology punching bag. Where does everyone between 21 and 30 work?!

Grad school, unemployed, bars, waitstaff :(

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

KevinCow posted:

I've had a corporate job for about a month now, and I have just one question for those of you who have been doing it for years: How have you not shot yourself yet? I can already feel it draining my soul away.

Serious answer: drugs and alcohol

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ballsworthy posted:

Pretty much this. I went to lunch at 10 AM. I haven't done anything since then. I fully intend to go home and drink my liver stupid even though I work tomorrow (in an empty office).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ballsworthy posted:

Just as serious answer: drugs with alcohol.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

KevinCow posted:

Alcohol and cigars for me. A little weed here and there, but not too often.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit

KevinCow posted:

Drugs, alcohol and in some cases religion.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Indolent Bastard posted:

You reminded me of a great story my dad told me.

I was secretly wishing it ended up with Paul working the IBM dinos whilst dressed in colonial uniforms.

vampchick21
Feb 19, 2010

KevinCow posted:

Well, I'm not one for drugs and alcohol (although that is very common. See Sales Dept Liquid Lunch). But I have been known on more than one occasion to shop like it's going out of style during my lunch. Because pretty shoes and a few outfits to match make up for morons pestering me. Somehow.

I also knit. Like a madwoman. Although I have had to fight the urge to ram a 2.5mm double point sock needle deep into someone's eye socket.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

KevinCow posted:

Video games can be rather effective at blocking out the voices in your head.

"This is your life, Scott, answering phones to talk to assholes"
"Scott, if you hate at least 9 hours of each day, why do you bother with any of them?"
"Keep working hard Scott, I'm sure you'll be rewarded with... termination. Again."
"You talk to a hundred people a day, and they all hate you without even knowing you..."
"95% of everything you create will end up in someone's trash can as soon as they get it."

But any particular game seems to only work for so long. Then you have to find another one. And another.
My Steam account is solid proof of this theory.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

KevinCow posted:

:420:

My corporate job actually isn't that bad. It can be stressful, yes, but at least my boss and the people I work with are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

KevinCow posted:

More serious answer: you tell yourself that you need the money and find ways to distract yourself during your free time. Before you know it, years will have slipped by.

I'm just a secretary, and it's already freaking me out that I've spent nearly 4 years in this boring job because 'I have bills to pay' and 'what else am I going to do?'.