Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Heard back from the scooter shop. Looks like it was a blown fuse and a faulty starter. Both have been replaced and I'm good to pick it up tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't have to do that again for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Well, my P200E is going in today, it'll start, but as soon as I put it in gear it stalls, when I release the clutch. Beyond my capabilities at the moment. It needs to have the safety done anyway, I just hope this isn't going to be too expensive.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

SpannerX posted:

Well, my P200E is going in today, it'll start, but as soon as I put it in gear it stalls, when I release the clutch. Beyond my capabilities at the moment. It needs to have the safety done anyway, I just hope this isn't going to be too expensive.

Probably just a clutch cable adjustment (see step 7: http://www.vespamaintenance.com/body/clcable/index.html) which a good shop shouldn't charge for if they want your return business.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Ringo R posted:

I'm also having problems with starting my bike :( Lately it has sometimes been very hard to start. It's a kick start and with every kick it runs for maybe half a second and dies. It dies too if I try to give it some throttle. It has also stalled on me twice recently, something that did not use to happen. This is quite terrifying in heavy traffic. However, once I do manage to get the engine running it runs fine, no need to keep revving it. What's weird is that the starting problems only happens sometimes. Sometimes it starts on the first kick. I really don't know what's going on :/ Also I've only owned bikes with electric start before so kick starting is new to me but I've managed to start the bike on the first or second try until this happened. Halp me, what is wrong? :( (Bike is a fuel injected Honda Wave 125i if that helps)

Sounds like it's running lean, but what do I know. Check the fuel lines and air intake for leaks or blockage. You could also check your spark plugs.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

cheesebot posted:

Probably just a clutch cable adjustment (see step 7: http://www.vespamaintenance.com/body/clcable/index.html) which a good shop shouldn't charge for if they want your return business.
Unfortunately, after digging a bit, it turns out that what really is happening is that the auto lube system isn't working, and I filled up about half a tank with out using an 2T oil, and some other issues I'm not going to detail here, but it's not too bad, it should be fine pre-mixing, till I get around to getting the auto lube fixed.

Anyway, stripped all the chrome off it, got the NA fuel tap replaced, and Safetied, just in time to put it away for the season. Whoo!

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Does anyone know if Genuine makes a case that color matches the Avocado Stellas? I haven't been able to see any online when I've looked and I'd rather not order one of the green Buddy cases to find out it doesn't match.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mrwrong posted:

Does anyone know if Genuine makes a case that color matches the Avocado Stellas? I haven't been able to see any online when I've looked and I'd rather not order one of the green Buddy cases to find out it doesn't match.

I know Coocase was making color-matched lids for their cases for the Buddies but I don't know about Avocado. Twisted Throttle in RI sells them and they have a nice showroom with helpful salespeople if you come down (or call, I think one of them even has a Stella). Give them a call at least.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/371/1/30/

I take it your bike is all good again.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

cheesebot posted:

I know Coocase was making color-matched lids for their cases for the Buddies but I don't know about Avocado. Twisted Throttle in RI sells them and they have a nice showroom with helpful salespeople if you come down (or call, I think one of them even has a Stella). Give them a call at least.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/371/1/30/

I take it your bike is all good again.

Nice, thanks. I'll give them a ring.

Yeah, the bike is all good and I'm absolutely loving it.

*Edit: Do online scooter sites usually have good winter sales? I'm looking to get a case and some racks but I can afford to wait it out for a while if places usually have sales during the off season.

*Double edit: I just heard back from Genuine and there is nothing that matches the Avocado green of the Stella. I'll just pick up black since the seat is black and I'm thinking of going two-tone black/green anyway.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 2, 2010

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got the scoot back, and man, what a difference. Where it once was 3-5 kicks to get it started (If I was lucky) it's now 1, and no effort what so ever. The fuel tap has been switched to European, autolube is working, and it goes like snot. Time to put the stabilizer in soon though, it's getting cold up here. Change oil, put the battery on the maintainer. I'm going to miss it for the 6-8 months that sucks up here. Unless I get a side car...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

Got the scoot back, and man, what a difference. Where it once was 3-5 kicks to get it started (If I was lucky) it's now 1, and no effort what so ever. The fuel tap has been switched to European, autolube is working, and it goes like snot. Time to put the stabilizer in soon though, it's getting cold up here. Change oil, put the battery on the maintainer. I'm going to miss it for the 6-8 months that sucks up here. Unless I get a side car...

Jesus 8 months?? Where the hell do you live?

And tbqh if it's not below freezing ride anyway, the cold and/or wet isn't too bad with the right gear. I try to ride year round but I chicken out when there might be ice.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Just hit top speed (not downhill) on the mp3. I was expect to shake apart at that speed (totally irrational), but it was really smooth.

I'm fact the only problem I'm haven 600 miles in is a broken saddle lock.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Jesus 8 months?? Where the hell do you live?

And tbqh if it's not below freezing ride anyway, the cold and/or wet isn't too bad with the right gear. I try to ride year round but I chicken out when there might be ice.
Well, more like 5 months, I was exaggerating. Middle of November till about the middle of April. For the most part it's just miserable around here till the middle of April, though some times March can be great.

My father went off the road while on a goldwing back in the 90's in April around here, black ice. It was night time though.

I have to get a shed built for my bikes and other stuff next spring. This leaving them at a friends garage is starting to suck.

BarbadosSlim
Apr 12, 2008
Which 50cc scooters have the best storage space? I was going to get a Yamaha C3 2010 since I loved the C3 2007 50cc so much, especially the C3 2007's storage space was so good compared to other scooters storage space. Are there any 50cc scooters out there that have better storage space?

BarbadosSlim
Apr 12, 2008
Also another question that I found a hard time finding the answer to on the internet...

What is the life span of really good quality 50cc scooters like Yamaha C3 2007 scooters and Zumas? Like, if you get all your maintenance checked and major parts replaced on time can it go up to 30,000 miles? 50,000? 100,000?

Thanks guys!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I don't know of anything with more storage than the C3, it's basically marketed as a motorized Rubbermaid container. It'd be a workhorse with a basic topcase.

20,000 miles on a well-maintained modern scooter should be easy, which is a *lot* of riding at 40mph. A guy named Wan rode a Ruckus all across the country, I think around 20k in the single trip, which certainly would've been 100% throttle the whole way.

Scooters seem to end up forgotten in a shed or wrecked before they reach the end of their mechanical life.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.
So I've posted in this thread a couple times, but never any pictures. I just passed 12,000 miles on my '05 Stella today. Only about 1500-2000 of them are mine, but I've only had it since July, so thats not bad!

I'm in Seattle and riding it to work (about 10 miles roundtrip) every chance I get all winter. Need to find some rain pants.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Nice NotJoe.. Too many people dont' actualy ride them. One of my buds has a Tangerine one that in 4 years he just rolled over 26K. He has rode if all over the place though even from Abq to Phoenix and back. Goes on a bunch of group rides also.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

NotJoe posted:

So I've posted in this thread a couple times, but never any pictures. I just passed 12,000 miles on my '05 Stella today. Only about 1500-2000 of them are mine, but I've only had it since July, so thats not bad!

I'm in Seattle and riding it to work (about 10 miles roundtrip) every chance I get all winter. Need to find some rain pants.

Hey fellow black Stella Washingtonian buddy :hfive:

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.

Tindjin posted:

One of my buds has a Tangerine one that in 4 years he just rolled over 26K.

Nice! I want to do a ton of riding next summer. I figured out a scooter friendly route all the way up to my parents place. Would normally be an hour north on the freeway, but the scenic route takes about 2.5 hours. Wouldn't be able to carry pretty much anything, but it'd be a lot of fun I'm sure. I also kind of want to try and figure out a route out toward Mt Rainier.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Hey fellow black Stella Washingtonian buddy :hfive:

Yo! Are you the guy with the awesome rabbit helmet?

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

NotJoe posted:

Nice! I want to do a ton of riding next summer. I figured out a scooter friendly route all the way up to my parents place. Would normally be an hour north on the freeway, but the scenic route takes about 2.5 hours. Wouldn't be able to carry pretty much anything, but it'd be a lot of fun I'm sure. I also kind of want to try and figure out a route out toward Mt Rainier.

Yo! Are you the guy with the awesome rabbit helmet?

I do not have a rabbit helmet, no. I'm in eastern WA now, so you won't see me around, though I went to school in Bellingham until earlier this year. Trying to move to Seattle, though.

You should grab some luggage racks, you can pack a ton of poo poo onto these bikes. I have a basic, inexpensive rear rack that I can strap a ton of stuff onto. There are front racks as well. You will have to drill into the back of the scooter, right above the license plate, to mount most of the rear racks, though some will use the plate holes. Front racks usually just kinda clip on. Plus you can get seat/tail bags, saddlebags, and bags that fit in the footwell area. Goddamn workhorses.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

So lately my '04 Stella has been having some odd issues in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems like I have absolutely no top end in the first two gears. In 2nd gear, right before I feel like it's going to be ready to shift, it sputters for a moment. The sputter goes away if I keep accelerating, or shift into 3rd. I also top out at about 50 mph, which wasn't the case when I first got her.

Any thoughts as to what to look into first? I'd just take her into the shop, but funds are low at the moment.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

So I haven't had a chance to ride the scoot in a few days because of the weather, and the brakes took a while to be effective at all this morning. I could squeeze really hard on the handbrake and it wouldn't do much. By the second time I came to a full stop in the first minute or so, they were pretty much back to normal. This happens often when I haven't ridden in a few days. I can't tell if its because of the temperature, if the pads are just damp at first and have no friction, or what.

It hasn't been a big deal yet, since it fixes itself really quick once I get going, but is this just something that happens in the winter, or is it actually a problem that will get worse?

Any ideas?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Water and cold will definitely reduce the effectiveness of brakes until they get up to temperature. Ride careful until you know how much braking power you have and how much traction you have. If you'd like to warm them up quicker, lightly dragging the brake while you're cruising along will help bring them up to temp as soon as possible.

Hadra
Dec 20, 2004
OWW.... logic hurts.
Sold my Beluga, bought a 1985 Honda CH150 Elite

Click here for the full 1579x1262 image.

(not mine, this one is much prettier, and I don't have the pod).

Drove it all summer with zero issues, fixed my own punctured tire all by myself and fixed my clogged carb with some help. I was turning into a right little mechanic.

Then I was involved in a little mishap. A combination of wet and ill maintained roads led me to be ejected over my handlebars and landing on the pavement.
Result, 2 broken wrists, bruised knee, bruised sternum, wounded ego.

My scooter, being the robust little bastard it is, took almost zero damage I have to replace the headlight (my high beams don't work) and a single screw.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've been riding a 2009 Piaggio Fly 150 since March and I love the hell out of it. I don't own a car, but the Fly gets me around town (and a decent distance out of it) quite well. The winters are quite mild where I live, so cold weather isn't really a problem when properly geared. I've only had one problem with it, and that was the starter Bendix failing, which appears to be not entirely uncommon with the new Vespa LX150 engines that the Fly uses. It was covered by my warranty, didn't take long at the dealership, and didn't cost me a thing, so it was really just a minor annoyance.

I'm thinking about painting the paneling. Piaggio started offering the Fly in silver and white only in 2008 or 2009, previously offering them in red, white, black, blue, and silver. While I do like the silver, I would prefer a matte flat black. After doing some initial research, I don't think it would be too terribly difficult to do it myself.

Any Louisiana goons looking to do the Amerivespa in New Orleans in June? It'll be my first rally and I'm super excited. It sounds like it's going to be wild.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 30, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Look at this neat thing someone posted on ADV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKps5ORD228

Anyone know what that CVT scooter they showed is?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Look at this neat thing someone posted on ADV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKps5ORD228

Anyone know what that CVT scooter they showed is?

I bet you're talking about the Triumph Tina

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

cheesebot posted:

I bet you're talking about the Triumph Tina

Yep, looks like it! I had no idea Triumph ventured into scooters. Thanks.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Selling my 08 buddy 125 (red). Good condition. 8000ish miles. Whats a good price to ask.

Id be ecstatic if get 1500.

No camera on me now.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

What general area do you live in? I know a few folks around here looking to buy Buddies/Stellas/any classic-ish scooters.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Mushika posted:

What general area do you live in? I know a few folks around here looking to buy Buddies/Stellas/any classic-ish scooters.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL if his profile is still accurate. I could see easily getting 1200-1500 for a really nice condition Buddy with 8k on the mileage. I bought my 04' Stella with I think about 6k miles on it for 2100.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Gay Nudist Dad you seem pretty informed in the realm of all things stella. My local scooter shop is selling an 03 stella with 1736 miles for $1750. They also have an 05 with 2188 miles for $2200. Right now $400 is a lot of money for me and I'm wondering if it's worth the added cost for the 05 over the 03, what with the early stella's crank problems. Any thoughts?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I know some folks in Gainsville, St. Augustine, and Jacksonville. Those are fairly far, but there may be someone interested in making the drive for an 08 Buddy for 1500. I'll put the word out anyway.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

Adderholt posted:

Hey Gay Nudist Dad you seem pretty informed in the realm of all things stella. My local scooter shop is selling an 03 stella with 1736 miles for $1750. They also have an 05 with 2188 miles for $2200. Right now $400 is a lot of money for me and I'm wondering if it's worth the added cost for the 05 over the 03, what with the early stella's crank problems. Any thoughts?

Get the 03, lower miles and lower price.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Ampersand-e posted:

Get the 03, lower miles and lower price.

More chance of serious issues that will cost more in the long run if I'm not mistaken.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

CubanRefugee posted:

More chance of serious issues that will cost more in the long run if I'm not mistaken.
Look into crank issues and Stella would be my advice. But, IIRC, the crank issue was fixed after 2005?

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
If anyone is looking for a good deal on a scooter right now and is within reasonable distance of Pittsburgh, Waskos has a ton of SYM's 2009 stock on sale. $1500 for a brand new Symba, Fiddle2 for $1695, etc.

edit:link http://www.waskosauto.com/

Trident fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 18, 2011

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trident posted:

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a scooter right now and is within reasonable distance of Pittsburgh, Waskos has a ton of SYM's 2009 stock on sale. $1500 for a brand new Symba, Fiddle2 for $1695, etc.
$1500 for a Symba would be awesome. You'd have that for ever.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
That Sym Jet Euro looks pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

Yeah I think '05 was the year they fixed the crank issues as SpannerX mentioned and CubanRefugee alluded to, so I would lean that way. Unless you can find out if maybe the '03 has had work done in that area already, but at only 1700 miles it probably hasn't come up yet.

But I also think '05 had a worker's strike at the LML factory. This thread has discussion on '04 vs. '05 which might be relevant. I don't know when the strike started.

If the manufacture date on the '05 is late '04 or very early 2005 I might lean that way, but otherwise I think I'd take the '03 and pocket the dollars for future upgrades. Hell, $400 almost covers the cost (in parts) of a new kit, crank, and exhaust. If you're paranoid, go that route and start saving!

But to be totally honest I'm not as knowledgeable as I seem and I would recommend searching https://www.stellaspeed.com and deciding yourself!