Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Olphij posted:

Would a piece such as this one in platinum be worthwhile for purchasing as an engagement ring? I'd prefer moissanite over a diamond any day though but don't want to get ripped off.

She's right on the stones. Most Moissanite has a slight tint to it, but the color isn't typically any stronger than an I color in diamond. $2k is a pretty standard price for a piece of that nature. Not a bargain, but not outrageous.

We've done a couple of Moissanite pieces in the last year and they came out well. The recipients were very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I honestly don't see any greenish tint on my moissanite ring at all, even next to my wedding band, which has small diamonds set in it. I also think the "diamonds are better in every way" part is really subjective. What I like better about my moissanite, a diamond aficionado might not and vice-versa.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

JohnnyRnR posted:

She's right on the stones. Most Moissanite has a slight tint to it, but the color isn't typically any stronger than an I color in diamond. $2k is a pretty standard price for a piece of that nature. Not a bargain, but not outrageous.

We've done a couple of Moissanite pieces in the last year and they came out well. The recipients were very happy.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. There aren't a whole lot of places that seem to offer 5-stone settings with moissanites but I will keep looking.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Send me a PM and I can send you some reference designs that you could have built somewhere.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Whats the best way to go about checking a ruby's authenticity? I have a loose cut ruby given to me by a friend after his jewelry store closed. Color and clarity is flawless. Took it to a commercial jewelry buyer and he said its either synthetic or worth a fortune and told me to take it to GIA get it certified. Can't afford the road trip though if it turns out to be fake. Only thing I have to go on at the moment really is that it doesn't have a scratch on it, so it appears to have high enough hardness.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Kalaxus posted:

Whats the best way to go about checking a ruby's authenticity? I have a loose cut ruby given to me by a friend after his jewelry store closed. Color and clarity is flawless. Took it to a commercial jewelry buyer and he said its either synthetic or worth a fortune and told me to take it to GIA get it certified. Can't afford the road trip though if it turns out to be fake. Only thing I have to go on at the moment really is that it doesn't have a scratch on it, so it appears to have high enough hardness.

Take it to a local gem/jewelry appraiser. If you can't find one or don't know how to go about looking, find an artisan jewelry shop in your area (not a chain jewelry store, but one where they make the actual jewelry there at the shop with custom designs/artwork), and ask them who they recommend for appraisals.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Kalista posted:

Take it to a local gem/jewelry appraiser. If you can't find one or don't know how to go about looking, find an artisan jewelry shop in your area (not a chain jewelry store, but one where they make the actual jewelry there at the shop with custom designs/artwork), and ask them who they recommend for appraisals.

Thanks for the info. Wish there was a simple probe that worked to test the other stones like there is for diamonds. Tap it, Green Good, Yellow Bad hehe.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Fair warning: It's easy to fool a diamond tester. They're very simplistic machines that don't always do a good job. It should never be your sole test.

There are machines that can test a gemstone, but the problem is that a synthetic ruby is chemically the same as a natural ruby. They'll test identical. This is a job for a microscope and years of training.

There should be a local gem lab in your area that would be able to give you a quick verbal opinion while you wait. Alternatively, you could send it to us and we'll examine it for free.

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7
I want to get my GF an engagement ring. We have talked about it and she showed me this one that she really likes: http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3528580&kpc=1 . I can afford it, but I really don't want to overpay on something like this. I have heard that Zales has a reputation for being way over priced. I asked her if Color and Clarity were important to her, and they didn't seem to matter as much as the size (She wants the ring to be 2ct total, with one being at least 1.5). Obviously she will love whatever I give her, but I asked her about what she liked, and these are the things she told me.

So we are in search of a place to find a good deal. She says she doesn't have anything against pawn shops.
I live in Las Vegas, NV. There are obviously tons of pawn shops out here, including the most famous one in the country. Would a pawn shop be a good place to look for something like this to get a deal on? Or should I look around for smaller jewelry shops without the big name/expensive location?

edit: Also, what would be the price I should expect to pay (and not be overpaying) for that ring in that link?

numeric_atrophy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2011

mysom
Aug 10, 2005
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations specifically for purchasing estate jewelry. I'm in the market for an engagement ring and from what I've seen so far I greatly prefer some of the 1920s and 1930s styles over more modern settings.

A family friend who is in the industry has suggested some local dealers who specialize in estate jewelry that I'll be visiting in the near future, but was wondering what I should be looking for in individual pieces. Such as: should I be concerned about wear / fragility of older pieces, how can you assess how well a piece will stand up to daily wear? How much does certification (or lack there of) of the stones matter? and any other general advice.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

numeric_atrophy posted:

What should I pay? Where should I go?

I would say that with the recent price increases that price isn't absurd (provided it is what it says). Zales has the reputation for being expensive only because their quality can be absurdly low. They say "GIA I2," but diamond grading is subjective, and it's rare for someone to be sued over it.

I'd go look at it in person. When buying a diamond with a clarity that low you have to see it to know what you're getting. I would assume that if you order online the diamond you receive won't look anything like that picture.

Pawn shops generally just sell what they've bought secondhand. If you find something that works then you're golden, but you might spend a lot of time trying to find something. You'll probably have a much easier time at a small mom and pop jeweler.

mysom posted:

Estate jewels

Luckily, estate jewelry holds up very well. Metal is very durable, and pieces were often made to last when made by hand. Just check that the metal hasn't worn very thin over time, that the stones are all secure in their settings, and always ask for the approximate age of the piece. Some estate dealers have no qualms selling reproductions so it's always good to ask.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
My custom ring is done! Having gone through the process personally twice for custom pieces, and participated in many others while I was working at the shop, I can't imagine every buying jewelry through anything else than a custom shop. Don't waste money on cookie-cutter, overpriced, shoddy work, please.

(Edit: In fairness to the jeweler in question, the pictures were taken before she did a final check of the ring and tightened up the prongs from what you see here. The stone is well set and doesn't rattle - which is an accomplishment for a 16.5 carat amethyst.)

Have some pictures:

Kalista fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2011

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I need some help, I will be buying a ring for my girlfriend. She is very active and has been known to abuse rings pretty badly, so she wants the band to be durable. What would be the best (cheaper) metal to make the band from while still being able to get this setting (not sure if I'm using the proper terminology)? Stainless Steel, Polished Titanium, White Gold?

How do I go about finding a gem that will fit in it assuming I want a jeweler to get it made?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Kalista posted:

Holy poo poo that is gorgeous

So how do I go about acquiring a copy of that amazing ring you have made?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Anybody have an opinion on Ross-Simons? I'm looking for a pearl bracelet, hoping to spend around 200-300 dollars. I found a 7 inch bracelet of Akoya pearls for around 200 on their website (http://www.ross-simons.com/products/483115.html), and it looks like it's selling for 145 until the end of tomorrow.

Is this a store known for ripping people off? Does the bracelet look like paste, or are there warning signs in the description I'm not noticing? I'm hoping to stop by a local jeweler on Monday to see if they have anything that looks good, but 145 for Akoya pearls is hard to pass up if it's as good a deal as it seems.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Are pics of custom jewelry encouraged in here? I'm picking up a piece on Tuesday that I had made for my GF, if y'all are interested I can post pics before she sees it.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Way the hell late on this one, but someone asked pages ago about Alexandrite simulants. The one I like that is stupid cheap is Zandrite, the color change on the pieces I own are fantastic. It is made of glass and has a lovely Mohs because of it though, so pick protective settings if you're going for a ring.

Kalista posted:

My custom ring is done!

:swoon:Hot drat, your jeweler did a hell of a job on that. I love the lost wax method and I loved the ugly scar the vacuum table left on the classroom floor after some idiot left it on for too long.

Myleslr
Feb 26, 2009

Fire In The Disco posted:

I honestly don't see any greenish tint on my moissanite ring at all, even next to my wedding band, which has small diamonds set in it. I also think the "diamonds are better in every way" part is really subjective. What I like better about my moissanite, a diamond aficionado might not and vice-versa.

I have moissanites as sidestones to my sapphire engagement ring and I don't see any green at all. Apparently if you expose them to heat they will turn green so don't stick your hand in a fire I guess.

Glad to see this thread appears to be kicking along still. Kalista your ring turned out gorgeous!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I was pointed to this thread, but I made a thread expressing an interest in getting into gem collecting. Reposting that here per a mod's advice:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've had an interest in gemstones for a while, I find the whole process from formation to cutting and polishing to be incredibly fascinating. Also I have very little in the way of things to collect (I get flags from countries I go to) and would like something that I could be a nerd over a little bit and go to gem shows for, etc. Most importantly, I figure if I slowly build a gem collection in a few years I could feel like an eccentric Bond villain as I roll my hands through piles of comically oversized gems.

I don't have any intentions of starting large, I'm anti-Diamond as gently caress and I have no problem with pretty much anything not a quartz no matter how cheap or common (quartz mainly because I know how much it should cost, where to get it, etc. It's pretty easy to find decent prices on and while it's one of my favorite stones it lacks the same mystique.)

One of the problems I have is that I'm A: relatively poor and B: live in a relatively small city in Canada, so I'll largely be stuck looking online for a while until I can pick some up contacts better than what I've got. I figure cheapness can be mitigated by the fact that I'm more interested in interesting stones than rare and valuable ones. On e-bay though it's really hard to tell if a stone is what they say it is and it seems like a vast majority are treated, and I'd rather pay for a lovely colour stone that's untreated than the same think heated or irradiated.

Figure it may be a bit of a stretch but hey people on here collect all kinds of weird stuff, I figure there's got to be at least a few people who either do this themselves or know people who do.

Bonus stone I'm looking at on e-bay that I love. I'm sad it's treated but I love trillion cuts and for all I can tell from e-bay it's a chunk of glass but it's pretty as gently caress and huge.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Gem collecting.

Gem collecting is a very diverse field. You'll find some collectors that specialize in breathtaking non-precious materials (like agates and jasper), some that only collect gems of one varietal (colored diamonds), and others who buy what they think is pretty.

The last group seems to have the most fun as they're never worried about resale. Buy what you like, keep the expensive stuff insured, and pass it on to your kids when you die.

You do have to be careful when dabbling in the more precious materials. Without significant knowledge (or a broker) you will lose your shirt in synthetics or treatments.

Have you considered learning to be a lapidary? You can buy a hobbyist cutting wheel for not much money, and it's a hobby that you can hone all your life. Although I wouldn't do it for a living as it doesn't always pay very well.

(And seriously, why the hate for diamond?)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Hey Johnny, we've actually spoken before in the engagement thread, I was the guy looking for a faceted basalt (drat aggregates :argh:). I'm not too worried about technical knowledge of gem, I can usually spot a synthetic (though treatment I suck at spotting) as long as I have a powerful lens. As I mentioned in the engagement megathread I'm a geologist so knowledge isn't my weakest point (I was and still am considering collecting gems in thin section, just buy low quality gems and shave them down to 30 µm).

I plan on just getting things that interest me, I had considered going by chromophore but only really as a joke. I've done lapidary work before and maybe later in life, but right now I don't really want to both with it. I spend so much of my day slaving over rocks as it is I'd rather not spend time hunched over a wheel.

As for diamonds, most just don't interest me. I mean, they're interesting gems but the price is so artificially inflated buy I'll be hosed to pay for them (and if it's a diamond from an exploitative situation that goes double).

One thing I wanted to ask you about specifically is I know that in the other thread you and I talked about black diamonds, I'm kind of interested in starting a gem collection with one of those since I find the formation of them really interesting and I like the look, so if you have any advice on tracking down a reasonable sized one and what they're worth that'd be helpful. The other thing I like is larger clear gems, which obviously cuts me out of the precious gem category because they're expensive as poo poo. I've been looking on e-bay at ametrines that don't have the telltale synthetic signs but gently caress if I trust my judgement enough to take the plunge. Also Peridot, but just because I have a hardon for mantle rock.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
The thing about black diamonds is that 99.999% of them on the market now are treated. They're irradiated with the force of a thousand suns until the crystal realigns into something entirely opaque.

There are natural black diamonds as well, but I've never sold one. Let me make a couple calls and find out what they're going for.

Ebay is a mine field when it comes to gems. I don't feel comfortable buying anything there. Besides, if there were deals to be had on eBay then wholesale buyers like myself would be snapping them up every day.

Johnny

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Thanks for this thread, it's incredibly useful for jewellery newbies like me.

I'm looking for a tanzanite engagement ring and I came across this one on Angara.com.

Firstly, can you tell me if you know anything about Angara? The online reviews seem mostly good, but I don't know if that's enough to go on.

Secondly, does the price seem fair and does everything look relatively OK on that page? There's a 30-day refund guarantee so I thought once it gets here I might take it to a jeweller for appraisal and send it back if it's not up to scratch, but that's a lot of effort.

Edit: Thirdly, is there anything specific I need to know about owning a tanzanite? Obviously I know it's softer than diamond, but is it going to be hardy enough for daily wear?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Edit: Thirdly, is there anything specific I need to know about owning a tanzanite? Obviously I know it's softer than diamond, but is it going to be hardy enough for daily wear?

MY fiance loves tanzanite, and really wanted an engagement ring set with one. Short answer, no. It's very soft and it'll chip and wear from daily use quite quickly. When I took my fiance into the jewelry store to look at gems, the jeweler brought a tanzanite out and once she saw it under a hand lens she immediately understood why I was saying it was too soft. It's a beautiful stone but on a ring that is going to get daily wear it'll become a pretty blue lump in a few years. In the end, we settled on a similarly coloured sapphire, but even those are still prone to wear (though in a decade or two).

Remember that the Mohs hardness scale isn't linear; just because is only 3.5 lower on the scale than diamonds doesn't mean it isn't also a thousand or so times softer. It will chip, it will break, and you will be sad. If you love that blue looks, sapphires are what I would suggest.

JohnnyRnR posted:

The thing about black diamonds is that 99.999% of them on the market now are treated. They're irradiated with the force of a thousand suns until the crystal realigns into something entirely opaque.

There are natural black diamonds as well, but I've never sold one. Let me make a couple calls and find out what they're going for.

Ebay is a mine field when it comes to gems. I don't feel comfortable buying anything there. Besides, if there were deals to be had on eBay then wholesale buyers like myself would be snapping them up every day.

Johnny

Johnny, do you have an e-mail address I could send you a few specific questions at? I'd like to continue this line of conversation but I'd rather not poo poo up pages of it.

As for e-bay I figure the only thing I'm absolutely comfortable buying is rutilated quartz but that's it.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

MY fiance loves tanzanite, and really wanted an engagement ring set with one. Short answer, no. It's very soft and it'll chip and wear from daily use quite quickly. When I took my fiance into the jewelry store to look at gems, the jeweler brought a tanzanite out and once she saw it under a hand lens she immediately understood why I was saying it was too soft. It's a beautiful stone but on a ring that is going to get daily wear it'll become a pretty blue lump in a few years. In the end, we settled on a similarly coloured sapphire, but even those are still prone to wear (though in a decade or two).

Remember that the Mohs hardness scale isn't linear; just because is only 3.5 lower on the scale than diamonds doesn't mean it isn't also a thousand or so times softer. It will chip, it will break, and you will be sad. If you love that blue looks, sapphires are what I would suggest.

Surely it can't be that bad or they wouldn't put it in rings? Or am I being overly optimistic?

Are some tanzanites better than others for chippability? I really want one :(

aidakeren
Feb 24, 2011

I need a man that can keep up with me intellectually and creatively.
Maybe you should consider a tanzanite necklace or earrings. Your stone would get a lot less wearing-down simply by not being on the hand. A bezel setting would provide added protection as well....

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

marshmallard posted:

Surely it can't be that bad or they wouldn't put it in rings? Or am I being overly optimistic?

Any gem, even diamond, can chip if handled roughly. So long as you're mindful you should be ok. You might chip it in a few years, but it can always be sent out for re-polishing.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Tanzanites often wear like crazy. I'm no jeweler, but I am a geologist and hardness 6.5 is soft as gently caress. Have you ever seen a really old ruby or sapphire that received a lot of wear? They're kind of rounded off and hold their shape poorly. Tanzanites are like butter to that. Even if you look under a tanzanite under a hand lens you'll see that it's likely pretty banged up at a small level just from existing. They're not hard and I'd really really really advise against a ring that will receive daily wear being set with a tanzanite.

As for why they make them? Because people buy them.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
So that ring I posted would be a really bad idea then? The setting wouldn't provide much protection I guess :(

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you wanted to go about making jewelry as a hobby, how in the hell would you learn? Nothing really with stones, but Id be interested in learning how to do...metalwork? I dont know what its called. I guess what my goal would be is being able to make things like necklace pendants, rings, and bracelets out of metal.

Where the hell would you go to learn how to do this?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I'm looking at designing an engagement ring (lucky for me my gf doesn't specifically care for diamonds), and think I'm finally zeroing in on some ideas.

Hardness has been mentioned a couple times, but I'm not too clear on what hardness levels I should be looking for to be safe besides diamonds and sapphires at 9-10. 6 was said to be way too soft, so I'm assuming smoky quartz (at 7 hardness) might not be much better?

Also, she is really into dark brown and black stones and I think I can come up with something really sharp and classy down that road. Can you recommend some other alternative materials to Smoky Quartz that are dark brown/black/grey that would be hard enough for a ring and have some brilliance? I've seen jewelry online using black onyx, carbonado (is anthracite for burning?), black tourmaline- but I'm concerned these might be too flat and maybe waxy looking. I think quartz seems to be the go-to choice, but it might be neat to find something less well-known or common (that isn't wildly expensive). Admittedly I know I need to get out into a bunch of shops to see what these minerals actually look like in person.

It's been mentioned that probably any 'black diamonds' I'm going to find will have been treated somehow, is this referring to carbonado? Or is that different than white diamonds turned black?? I don't get it.

Also, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to set or change stones 'inside' jewelry like the ring below? And there was conversation about ordering from a catalog to save cost and effort- say I wanted the ring below, but with a totally different setting for the main gem, how feasible is it to make a drastic change there? (A major criteria is going to be keeping a low profile so she can wear it as a nurse, etc.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm about to pick up the first piece of custom jewelry I've had commissioned for my GF, it should be ready tomorrow - do y'all want pics of it? Nothing major, it's a 7.5 carat pear cut aqua with a small baguette cut white sapphire (yes, I'm sure it's treated) set in a pendant. Nothing fancy, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it. And thanks to a couple of you for convincing me to get it done, rather than just selling the stone and buying something already fabricated.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So I have an odd question: What happened to jet? You used to see a bunch of jet jewelry, but now you really don't. It's not like black gems aren't in demand either, they have more expensive black diamonds etc.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Am I correct in assuming that it's extremely common for jewelers today to use CAD templates and farm out construction to companies like Stuller that seem to have very quick turnaround?

As a customer this seems like a pretty awesome thing, leading to lower prices and more sales competition with a far lower barrier to entry since there's less craftmanship involved, etc. Is there anything I should be wary of given all this?

Seyelence
Dec 17, 2007
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Anyone have pictures of 1ct enhanced moissanite with an unenhanced? (from moissaniteco)

I keep on making up my mind then getting persuaded when I read someone say something against my decision...

My GF says she likes a warm look and doesn't mind the unenhanced at all, cost is somewhat an issue too. But when I read people talk about how unenhanced looks green and gray...it's all very confusing. Plus I haven't seen that many comparisons at 1ct size, most people seem to have larger rings but she only has a size 4.5 so 1ct is big enough. Would the enhancement not make any difference at 1ct?

It would be a round brilliant cut too.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

marshmallard posted:

So that ring I posted would be a really bad idea then? The setting wouldn't provide much protection I guess :(
Go visit an independent craftsman jeweler in your area. Unless you happen to find someone like Johnny (which is rare without a personal connection), you're *always* going to get a better quality piece in person from a reputable shop than you will from anywhere online.

You're not going to get a tanzanite ring from a good jeweler for $999. There's a reason that ring is that cheap - it's likely a piece of crap, especially when compared to what you'd get from a real jeweler.

Why settle for something less? If you really really want a tanzanite to wear every day, a jeweler will help you design something that can accommodate daily wear - OR steer you towards more suitable alternative stones that you will also like very much.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Johnny, I sent you an E-mail.

Quantumfate: jet is incredibly sof and not very rare at all. In general when I see black jewelry it's just agates since they're incredibly tough, but that's about it.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Kalista posted:

Go visit an independent craftsman jeweler in your area. Unless you happen to find someone like Johnny (which is rare without a personal connection), you're *always* going to get a better quality piece in person from a reputable shop than you will from anywhere online.

You're not going to get a tanzanite ring from a good jeweler for $999. There's a reason that ring is that cheap - it's likely a piece of crap, especially when compared to what you'd get from a real jeweler.

Why settle for something less? If you really really want a tanzanite to wear every day, a jeweler will help you design something that can accommodate daily wear - OR steer you towards more suitable alternative stones that you will also like very much.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I've found a place that does really nice custom jewellery, it's a bit far away but worth it. Thanks :)

Edit: or if anyone has recommendations for jewellers in London, England, please let me know!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

well thanks for the response wafflehound, cleared up my curiosity :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm about to pick up the first piece of custom jewelry I've had commissioned for my GF, it should be ready tomorrow - do y'all want pics of it? Nothing major, it's a 7.5 carat pear cut aqua with a small baguette cut white sapphire (yes, I'm sure it's treated) set in a pendant. Nothing fancy, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it. And thanks to a couple of you for convincing me to get it done, rather than just selling the stone and buying something already fabricated.

Yes! Show it!

• Locked thread