Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alectai posted:

How the hell are they even supposed to be playable? Don't they need to torture everything they can so their soul doesn't get slurped up?

I imagine that would be the mechanic a la Fate Points, Infamy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I'm running the Black Sepulchre (say it 'seppelkur', turns out) for my party and I'm in-between the first and second third of the book.

They've not really hammered down the whole 'talking to people and looking things up' thing, so I was thinking to ease them into it with a mid-space trip.

They're hitching a ride with a RT who's doing it basically to get the cops out of his grill- he has some suspicious artifacts on board and poo poo, you know.

I'm figuring the crew gets sent down below to retrieve an artifact for gold (they're all hungry for spacebux for one reason or another) and they have to get directions, deal with machines and people, and they can even shoot the cargo cult that's sprung up around the artifact if they'd like.

Talk someone into helping them or at least tossing them a skull, navigating the ship, talking to the people who live in the less-watched decks, punching some people, asking machines politely to open the doors, finding the cult, finding their hideout, shoot/psyker them to death, take loot.

Sound good?

e: I have a Cleric-facewoman (whose player knows jack poo poo about 40k :v: ), a Techpriest, Psyker (the best player- better than I am) and an Arbite (because he read the Arbite books and liked them).

e2: How good is an Optical Mechadendrite and should I be worried about my players (save the Psyker) boosting stats. Also also should I let the TP buy up his Fel at the worst rate?

Karma Guard fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 20, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
That sounds like a plan! :)

(As an aside, it always bewilders me when I read that human spaceships in 40k are big enough to have their own demographics and ecosystems.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InfiniteJesters posted:

(As an aside, it always bewilders me when I read that human spaceships in 40k are big enough to have their own demographics and ecosystems.)

Hah, it's our GM's go-to route for a session when we're inbetween missions- have us get involved in starship politics. I remember when we had to arrange a marriage between the Port and Starboard Battery Clans, then arrange for added security and priveleges for the dudes in charge of the Nova Cannon because they feared a takeover from the newly-formed alliance. We're thinking of upgrading a few systems (reducing Space and Power requirements) and getting a Barracks, as our Missionary thinks shared military training and conscription would help reduce frictions between the two groups.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Hah, it's our GM's go-to route for a session when we're inbetween missions- have us get involved in starship politics. I remember when we had to arrange a marriage between the Port and Starboard Battery Clans, then arrange for added security and priveleges for the dudes in charge of the Nova Cannon because they feared a takeover from the newly-formed alliance. We're thinking of upgrading a few systems (reducing Space and Power requirements) and getting a Barracks, as our Missionary thinks shared military training and conscription would help reduce frictions between the two groups.

I have to ask whether the Imperium has cryotechnology, except I don't think cryotech is feasible in the four-figure range needed for all the crewmen on an Imperium ship since what would normally be automated on a sane, modern or futuristic starship has to be done by hand by innumerable deckswabbies.

And at any rate the cryotech/sleepertech is needed elsewhere, like for keeping Eversors stuffed away in a cozy box until the Officio Assassinorum needs a nice little package of canned murder deployed somewhere.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InfiniteJesters posted:

I have to ask whether the Imperium has cryotechnology, except I don't think cryotech is feasible in the four-figure range needed for all the crewmen on an Imperium ship since what would normally be automated on a sane, modern or futuristic starship has to be done by hand by innumerable deckswabbies.

And at any rate the cryotech/sleepertech is needed elsewhere, like for keeping Eversors stuffed away in a cozy box until the Officio Assassinorum needs a nice little package of canned murder deployed somewhere.

Cryotech does exist, but it is classified as archaeotech, and as such is only used when amd where absolutely necessary. Perhaps your most powerful Magi, Inquisitors and Rogue Traders have some, but us PF 55 RTs? Not likely.

Also, I can't recall where it was mentioned, but it was mentioned that Imperial ships are, if anything, vastly undermanned compared to how things are done in our time. Sure, they ain't Trek ships, but there is a lot of automation going on in Imperial ships- it's just that you won't see much of it in the art.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Re: cryotech there are a few one off references to a different from the xeno one Cold Guild which operates in imperial space picking up exiled nobles and carrying them frozen in long slow journeys to the outer rim.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Also, I can't recall where it was mentioned, but it was mentioned that Imperial ships are, if anything, vastly undermanned compared to how things are done in our time. Sure, they ain't Trek ships, but there is a lot of automation going on in Imperial ships- it's just that you won't see much of it in the art.

Dauntless Light Cruiser:
4.5km long, 65,000 crew
~14.4 crew/meter

USS Enterprise
342m long, 5,800 crew
~16.9 crew/meter

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What's an appropriate number of total crew for an Astartes Strike Cruiser?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Signal posted:

Dauntless Light Cruiser:
4.5km long, 65,000 crew
~14.4 crew/meter

USS Enterprise
342m long, 5,800 crew
~16.9 crew/meter

You're forgetting to take width and height into consideration! :eng101: In any case, going by the Battlefleet Koronus sourcebook for Rogue Trader, and eyeballing the heights, these are the stats for Grand Cruisers:

pre:
Avenger-Class Grand Cruiser
141,000 crew
Length: 7.5 km
Width: 1.5 km (not including fins; with them, it's 1.8 km)
Height: 3.5 km
Total inner volume: 39.375 cu. km
Total crew per cu. km: ±3.58 
pre:
Repulse-Class Grand Cruiser
134,000 crew
Length: 7.4 km
Width: 1.2 km (not including fins; with them, it's  km)
Height: 3 km
Total inner volume: 26.64 cu. km
Total crew cu. km: ±5.03
pre:
Exorcist-Class Grand Cruiser
112,000 crew
Length: 7.3 km
Width: 0.9 km (not including fins; with them, it's 1.1 km)
Height: 3 km
Total inner volume: 19.71 cu. km
Total crew per cu. km: ±5.68
If anything, the larger ships are also far more crew-efficient than the smaller ones. Also consider the fact that these numbers take into account the redundant crew needed to cover for battle losses and such.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 20, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It's not that they're more crew-efficient, they just have sections that have been walled off because nobody know what they do

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

You're forgetting to take width and height into consideration! :eng101:

It's true, I've failed. :eng99:

But I think the term you're looking for is "volume," and it's measured in cubic units ;)

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MaliciousOnion posted:

It's not that they're more crew-efficient, they just have sections that have been walled off because nobody know what they do

RIP rogouch and its lurking genestealers

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Alectai posted:

How the hell are they even supposed to be playable? Don't they need to torture everything they can so their soul doesn't get slurped up?

: Did you know? The average Rogue Trader dynasty, through its rampant settler colonialism and exploitative imperialistic methods, tortures planetary populations and sucks their souls on a scale that most Dracons could only dream of.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
What's a good way to play Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader if you haven't got enough people around?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Benagain posted:

Re: cryotech there are a few one off references to a different from the xeno one Cold Guild which operates in imperial space picking up exiled nobles and carrying them frozen in long slow journeys to the outer rim.

If I remember right, Hostile Acquisitions has rules for an upgrade that lets you put a portion of your crew into cryogenic storage as need be.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Hodgepodge posted:

If I remember right, Hostile Acquisitions has rules for an upgrade that lets you put a portion of your crew into cryogenic storage as need be.
There's the Cold Quarters from Into The Storm that do that, costs a lot more power though- if you've got a choice between upgrading to a Sunsear battery or giving the rabble more living space by keeping half of them in the freezer, well...

Alectai posted:

I thought the new DE codex had made them less retarded?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Talkie Toaster posted:

I thought the new DE codex had made them less retarded?

At first I was surprised but after thinking about it it's feasible. If you can have an Ork or a Kroot, you can have a morally bankrupt Eldar. "The Thirst" is like an addiction that gets worse over time. It prolongs their lives and keeps them young but I don't think under the new fluff they die if they're not constantly murder raping something. You also have to imagine that a Dark Eldar running around with humans instead of chilling out in Commorragh has to be hosed up, well by Dark Eldar standards.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

At first I was surprised but after thinking about it it's feasible. If you can have an Ork or a Kroot, you can have a morally bankrupt Eldar. "The Thirst" is like an addiction that gets worse over time. It prolongs their lives and keeps them young but I don't think under the new fluff they die if they're not constantly murder raping something. You also have to imagine that a Dark Eldar running around with humans instead of chilling out in Commorragh has to be hosed up, well by Dark Eldar standards.

Or maybe he's running from political opponents, which has quite a bit of story potential.

Signal posted:

I think the term you're looking for is "volume," and it's measured in cubic units ;)

Whoops, my bad. Gonna change it in a mo.

MaliciousOnion posted:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a DM's planned RT game has not moved beyond the ship for a year IRL because the crew got lost in the ship's bowels and are trying to get out :stare:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it going to be straight out Dark Eldar or an Outcast type dude?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Benagain posted:

Is it going to be straight out Dark Eldar or an Outcast type dude?

Fantasy Flight Games posted:

Of course, the Explorers have a chance to do some betraying of their own, and to this end, The Soul Reaver contains the Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior Career Path. This full new Career, designed for use in this adventure and beyond, allows players to take the sadistic power of the Dark Eldar into their own hands for the first time in Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay.

Looks like a straight out Dark Eldar, although who knows how they're going to justify it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well it's Eldar, so you can always do the "Pfft, the time I spend hanging out with you losers is a tiny fraction of my total lifespan and you're mildly amusing" type thing.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I saw this and had to come share it. What happens when people try to write Space Marine oaths.

READY TO SPEW THE FURY

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The Vommarine's Oath.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Update!

Game 2 went smashingly. The party showed up in Port Wander, sold their "two tons of Nephilim" I conveniently stowed on their ship (giving them a starting Profit Factor of 45). I asked the Seneschal "what is Nephilim used to do," since I had no idea and was perfectly happy having be effectively Unobtainium.

He decided it was used for mech-grafts like bionic legs, so they went down into the Gilt Processional to find a sawbones who could purchase it (they walked in as he used an Ork Choppa to hack off a dude's leg and slam another bionic one on there), and completed the sale.

They then followed, pretty much, phases 1 and 2 of the starting adventure out of the back of the book, except for a few great twists:

1) The Missionary went to the Imperial Church guys and said, "Hey, whassup, what do you guys need?" and I came up with a plot hook for them to deal with.

2) The Arch-Militant went running around left-clicking on everyone with a "!" over their head and got a cool bounty to keep his eyes out for.

3) The Seneschal, convinced he will be double-crossed (I replaced the old faithful family retainer with a crime lord who rules the Undercity of Port Wander), made every effort to publicly and loudly buy a map to the wrong part of the Koronus Expanse, since they know they're being followed, then quietly bought the right maps.

During the flight, they were looking for a way to get up morale, so they decided on a boxing tournament. The "captain," who started as a figurehead whose first in-combat action was to faint dead-away with fear in the face of danger (this is a PC, mind you, just one with a terrible WP score), entered, but instead of using his WS, I let him use his TGH skill, and we all justified it as "the captain is wearing out the arch-militant's hands on his face."

The Captain won, exhausting the other fighters (it was two rounds, 1v1 winner advancing), and showed that, no matter how many times you get punched in the face, "Never Give Up, Never Surrender!" (yes, he actually said that)

I can't tell you how happy this makes me, because the guy playing the Captain/Rogue Trader is usually the weakest RP'er of the bunch, and it's clear everyone's having a blast now with this goofy, motley crew.

This game really does feel like Firefly sometimes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What is the difference between Rogue Trader combat rules and Black Crusade rules?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Rogue Trader still has Unnatural Characteristics as multipliers instead of bonii, and Semi-Auto and Single Shot have been flipped in terms of modifiers (Single Shot is now more likely to hit then multiple shots.). Besides that and some different Talents and consolidated Skills, the core system is basically the same.

Oh, one more thing, you start with one Degree when succeeding/failing in Black Crusade, Rogue Trader only adds degrees for every 10 you succeed/fail by, and Unnatural characteristics add half their value in bonus degrees on a successful roll.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 24, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What is the difference between Rogue Trader combat rules and Black Crusade rules?

Black Crusade makes it so full auto weapons don't give you the same bonus as aiming carefully for a full round, so the most effective strategy isn't "ROCK AND ROLL BLAM BLAM BLAM* every round

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009
I've been running a game of Rogue Trader lately and been having a good time with it. I thought it would be good to bring an issue I've been having here for some advice. So far my players have been breezing through combat, I'm not sure if I'm making enemies that are too weak or screwing up the combat rules somehow.

To give an example this is a template for a giant alien snake that they encountered and killed with pretty much no trouble.

WS: 50
BS: -
S: 45
T: 40
Ag: 50
Int: 10
Per: 40
WP: 30
Fel: -

Wounds: 20 Armor - 3 AP (All)
Traits: Toxic, Crawler, Sturdy
Bite - 1d10 Primitive
Constrict - When grappling an opponent preform a successful strength test to do 1d5+(Strength Bonus) damage and inflict a level of fatigue.

I have a party of five, probably the biggest damage dealer is the Seneschal with a pump shotgun who will typically get into point blank range and get two shots in with scatter.

For now I think I'll give the opposition some more wounds and armor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

YamiB. posted:

I've been running a game of Rogue Trader lately and been having a good time with it. I thought it would be good to bring an issue I've been having here for some advice. So far my players have been breezing through combat, I'm not sure if I'm making enemies that are too weak or screwing up the combat rules somehow.

To give an example this is a template for a giant alien snake that they encountered and killed with pretty much no trouble.

WS: 50
BS: -
S: 45
T: 40
Ag: 50
Int: 10
Per: 40
WP: 30
Fel: -

Wounds: 20 Armor - 3 AP (All)
Traits: Toxic, Crawler, Sturdy
Bite - 1d10 Primitive
Constrict - When grappling an opponent preform a successful strength test to do 1d5+(Strength Bonus) damage and inflict a level of fatigue.

I have a party of five, probably the biggest damage dealer is the Seneschal with a pump shotgun who will typically get into point blank range and get two shots in with scatter.

For now I think I'll give the opposition some more wounds and armor.

The primitive attack means that armor will be extra effective, and 20 wounds isn't a lot for something intended to solo 5 explorers. I could see Stork soloing that thing by himself.

Definitely add more armor and wounds. You might also want to make the attacks deadlier.

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The primitive attack means that armor will be extra effective, and 20 wounds isn't a lot for something intended to solo 5 explorers. I could see Stork soloing that thing by himself.

Definitely add more armor and wounds. You might also want to make the attacks deadlier.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it primitive, but I figured I didn't want it to be too deadly. I was mostly surprised by how quick it went down. Honestly attacks didn't matter for this one since for the two rounds it lived I rolled above 90 on the WS tests.

I'll definitely pump up the AP and Wounds on future ones. Thanks.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

YamiB. posted:

Well, to be honest, if you want to make things difficult I find that having multiple enemies rather than one big one makes things more challenging, but that said, for solo encounters such as this you'll definitely want to pump up its wounds and armor as well as give it some better offensive capabilities.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

YamiB. posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it primitive, but I figured I didn't want it to be too deadly. I was mostly surprised by how quick it went down. Honestly attacks didn't matter for this one since for the two rounds it lived I rolled above 90 on the WS tests.

I'll definitely pump up the AP and Wounds on future ones. Thanks.

If you have copies of the player sheets run some mock battles ahead of time. Also there's nothing preventing you from tweaking on the fly. For example the critter could run out of toxin, or break a fang and have the attacks lose AP or reduce damage.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

20 wounds is incredibly fragile. Don't be afraid to give it way more offensive capability either. As much as some people talk about how deadly 40kRP is, intelligent use of fate points makes players pretty difficult to kill.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

YamiB. posted:

1d10+4 Primitive is equivalent to a dude with a regular, non-mono axe (yeah, the toxic helps but the base is pretty trivial). It's as tough as a guardsman in flak, and extra wounds only help so much when you've got low toughness and armour thanks to full-auto/scatter attacks.

The Carnosaur from Dark Heresy has 40 wounds, toughness bonus 10 and 2 armour, and deals d10+14 primitive tearing damaage. Even then, consider that RT characters in AP 6 carapace with TB 4 are only going to take about 1d10 damage from being bitten, and a full-auto burst with a boltgun is probably going to knock off 10 wounds from it.

E: I did throw a pack of them (2 and 3 downstatted young) at an RT party, but they dug a giant pit trap and had the psyker compel them to eat each other after they fell in, so I don't have any practical experience of RTs vs them.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2012

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
Months ago I had a giant repository of 40k tokens for maptools compiled by some guy. I can't remember the site but I had to manually save each token, there was no bulk download. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have an alternative place to get good 40k tokens?

Also, sorry for going inactive to anyone whose game I was in :ohdear:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Turtle before the Storm posted:

Months ago I had a giant repository of 40k tokens for maptools compiled by some guy. I can't remember the site but I had to manually save each token, there was no bulk download. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have an alternative place to get good 40k tokens?

Found this with a quick google search, not sure if it's what you were looking for. Over 400 tokens all up.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
That's the one. Thank you! I swear I searched for it myself but I didn't find it.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Turtle before the Storm posted:

There is actually a bulk download if you want to save some clicking. Click the 'add album to cart' which'll take you to a view cart type screen. At the top right of this screen there is a 'cart actions' dropdown where you can download all of the images in a zip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
In today's session of my group:

-A multiway political clusterfuck between Tau, Tau-sympathizing Imperials, multiple Guard regiments having a power struggle over who assumes command of the city's Imperial Guard division after the sympathizers assassinated the residing Lord General, and us. Actual investigative work! Fun! We're like the world's most overpowered SWAT team.
    -We break into a sympathizer's hideout and I threaten to use my juggling skills on the rebel scum if they do not cooperate.
    -Our Apothecary attempts to solve problems by being an EXTREMELY aggressive drug pusher.
    -When an ammo dump in the city explodes, an order to our Apothecary to tend to wounded Guardsmen is met with an incredibly bored-sounding "No."
    -My Ultramarine tackles a Guardsman into a wall to prevent him from executing a person of interest in the Tau conspiracy. CRUNCH!
    -We confront the corrupt city elder helming the Tau sympathizers in the city, plus his bodyguard, all toting Tau pulse carbines. The elder taunts us to give him one good reason not to fire...To which our response is our Librarian burning over half of them alive with his powers, my Ultramarine blasting 4 of them into kibble with a Storm Bolter, and our Black Templar Assault Marine pinning the elder to a wall with a power blade at the elder's throat while growling "How's THAT for a reason?"

I swear, I have the best group and play the best game. :keke: