Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Just going to leave this here:

More details to follow when I've got the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Sweet, looking forward to finding out more.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

How many of those turtle cannons can I spawn? :getin:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

larsiusprime posted:

Oh hell yes.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

larsiusprime posted:

When will I be able to throw my money at the monitor

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I would like to humbly request more information :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

Sooo it's a lizard thing with a large turtle-like house on it's back for people to live in and travel on?

Essentially, it's to Defender's Quest what Appa was to Avatar: The Last Airbender?

That's so loving awesome. Giant animal buddies own. You own. This game is gonna own. Let me preorder it right friggin' now. :mad:

Are you guys going to do a kickstarter, or are you doing Humble Store preorders, or what? And do you have the guy behind DQ1's soundtrack back? Because his musical talent added so, so much to the game. :)

This calls for a :toot: dance party :toot:

_______ Ravermancy!

Jesto fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 21, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Also, sorry to doublepost, but congrats on becoming a new dad Lars! :)

KoB
May 1, 2009
Awesome! Cant wait.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

larsiusprime posted:

I Shotgun on Beta testing.

You now have to abide, because I was first in calling shotgun.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Heya!

So things I can confirm right now:

1) Kevin Penkin will be back as our musician, yes. Along with a very special friend who I can't announce just yet.
2) We've talked a lot internally about preorders, the idea is to do an "un-kickstarter" on our own store, powered by Humble Store. The main issue here is timing - development is still early as we're retooling the engine to have better performance and be more easily cross-platform on native targets.
3) We're planning on releasing in 2014 sometime. The smart money bets on late 2014.

If you guys have any specific questions, post 'em and I'll try to answer them in the upcoming announcement post.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Will there be any returning characters? Or maybe an easter egg battle against the old cast or whatever (probably shouldn't answer this :p). And how are you addressing balancing the difficultly this time around, more the same? The first one was on the easy side and way to easy to accidentally over level and made everything going forward a cake walk with no way of going back. One way to do it is have all stages have level ranges like lvl 10-15, 12-17, etc. and if you're level 30 by the end of the game going back to an old map it would scale you down to level 15 for it, that way to can fine tune everything more specifically.

Also how would you compare this vs the first, like with all the abilities and gear in the first one, if that were a 1 on a scale, would this sequel be a 10.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

1) Kevin Penkin will be back as our musician, yes. Along with a very special friend who I can't announce just yet.

Nolan North for lead character voiceacting, confirmed.

quote:

2) We've talked a lot internally about preorders, the idea is to do an "un-kickstarter" on our own store, powered by Humble Store. The main issue here is timing - development is still early as we're retooling the engine to have better performance and be more easily cross-platform on native targets.

By 'un-kickstarter' do you mean just a simple preorder system with no fancy gimmicks, or do you mean more along the lines of Starbound's un-kickstarter via Humble? http://playstarbound.com/store/

I'd personally like it if you guys went the route of giving Defender's Quest free for everyone who preorders Defender's Quest 2 for full price right now, or for some slightly higher tier. :) Let people give some extra copies of the game out to their friends to get them hooked on it.

quote:

If you guys have any specific questions, post 'em and I'll try to answer them in the upcoming announcement post.

1. You're not going to invest development time on putting in multiplayer functionality, are you? I only ask because it doesn't see like it would add anything to DQ and yet it's a request I've seen pop up several times.

2. You've been looking into console / handheld releases. Are you guys hoping to release those simultaneously, or are you going to release on PC earlier and see if there's enough interest / demand / funding to port over to handheld?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 23, 2013

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Starbound was the exact inspiration for our "un-kickstarter," so yeah, something like that. Haven't decided on the tiers yet (or when we will open the thing, assuming we want to do it). We'll let you know what we're thinking before we launch.

1) We aren't doing any multiplayer. We've gotten a few requests for this, yeah, but it's just blatantly outside of the scope of the game. Our mechanics are not easily conducive to versus or co-op, and adding netcode is decidedly non-trivial.

2) We've been looking into console/handheld stuff, yeah. Too early to say whether it'd be simultaneous. We are sold on using Haxe/OpenFL at this point, and if it all goes well then we will have the advantage of one single codebase that we keep updating, and "porting" consists of working on the compatibility layer for each target as necessary. So far I'm basically trying to get console manufacturers to send me free dev kits :)

Here's targets we're considering, beyond win/mac/linux:

-iPad and Android tablets (phones probably are just way too small screen-wise)
-PSVita
-3DS
-WiiU
-Playstation (3 or 4)

iPad/Android
Tablets are probably the most likely target as they are cheap to buy (compared to console dev kits), have a big market, and the SDK's are not tightly held behind NDA walls and are well supported already in Haxe/OpenFL. Also, they have high enough resolutions that our planned battle map sizes and interface will probably work pretty well. The only challenge is that we'll have to come up with a solution for hover states for UI widgets as there is no "hover" in a touch context where a mouse doesn't exist.

Hand-helds
3DS is the top target in terms of market size, and given Fire Emblem's success Defender's quest could do pretty well. The major challenge with 3DS is the split screens and relatively low resolution. With our new map size and interface designs, it'll be a challenge to get a layout that works that doesn't rely on scrolling or zooming.

PSVita has a nice big screen as well as some really cool touch features, but it has a smaller market size. Still, if I can get Sony to give me a free one we might consider it.

WiiU
I've already got a WiiU dev kit, and I plan on exploring this and see what I can find. The gamepad is a great little thing I'm excited about and it could work really well, and it has sufficient resolution that UI/battle layout isn't challenging. Now, WiiU isn't exactly selling like gangbusters, but it's still a decently sized market for a niche game like ours, and as long as the digital attach rate isn't terrible and the overall cost of porting is low, we'll probably do it. I'm really excited about the interface possibilities.

Playstation 3/4
I think the smart money is betting on Playstation 4 being the leader in the next console generation, and I'm interested in releasing DefQ2 for it if I can get a kit. That said, PS3 has been out way longer and has a huge install base, so we might just target that instead. Depends on what's easiest and what will get us promotion from Sony.

XBONE
Microsoft has finally reversed all their terrible decisions for the XBONE, but they left a bad taste in my mouth. With all these other possible things on my plate, I'm not even going to consider this unless it turns out to sell like gangbusters, and Microsoft reaches out to us and offers us a free dev kit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm actually kind of excited thinking about how this game could work with the 3ds or Wii U.

Advance Wars DS used the top screen for air battles that were occurring simultaneously. That could be a neat mechanic.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
You could add some mild stretch goals to the "un-Kickstarter", for example for every 20 thousand pre-orders we will add a special challenge map (may or may not be part of a free DLC later on). Something tangible that adds to the game while not bogging you down with shipping physical goods. And something that does not increase the development cycle (by forcing you to work more on critical stuff because some stupid stretch goal was reached).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larsiusprime posted:

development is still early as we're retooling the engine to have better performance and be more easily cross-platform on native targets.

Hello, love your game and I am basically a guaranteed purchase for the sequel. That said, please improve the performance on OSX. Even on relatively new machines it ran pretty horribly once the screen got good and busy. This is probably an AIR thing, but still.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

@AlternateAccount:

Yeah, like I've said before, this is why we're dumping AIR and moving to Haxe/OpenFL. We'll have native binaries on all targets.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Lars posted a few mockups of what DQ2 might look like on 3DS.

Also:

quote:

Okay, one hour left in the workday. Time to read through these Sony contracts I've been holding off on for so long.

So I guess the Nintendo / Sony ports are a go. Really hope that this ends out working well for the guys. :) Also, there's still a few bugs left in Defender's Quest 1, like some movie titles being weird garbled stuff and heroes only showing up as "x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 x2" in the main menu no matter how many you actually have. This isn't exactly gamebreaking, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jesto posted:

Lars posted a few mockups of what DQ2 might look like on 3DS.

I'd like to be the first to congratulate Terror Van for his cameo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If it's going to be on the 3DS, a terrain height system for ranged units might look neat.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

quote:

Lars Doucet ‏@larsiusprime
Defender's Quest 2 is coming to Steam, but you knew that already.

Looks like DQ2 gets to bypass Greenlight entirely due to DQ1 managing to just barely avoid the mess that is Greenlight. :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope he gets to bypass Greenlight, they've been aggressively trying to participate in steam stuff more than any other developer. I'm pretty sure they had the steam workshop very early on and they were part of the first batch of cards.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So, I am bad with computers, because I am terrified that I will press something and cause catastrophic failure that will deny me access to microsoft word or something silly.

Because of that, I cannot bring myself to update this. If I delete everything, and re-download it, will it be updated?

Has anything been added since say... 1.0.6.4? I generally don't do mods or such.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Gensuki posted:

So, I am bad with computers, because I am terrified that I will press something and cause catastrophic failure that will deny me access to microsoft word or something silly.

Because of that, I cannot bring myself to update this. If I delete everything, and re-download it, will it be updated?

Has anything been added since say... 1.0.6.4? I generally don't do mods or such.

You're probably safe to update. If you're really worried, you can always export your save or something.

The current version is 1.0.99, sooo... I don't know what all you're missing. Do you even have NewGame+ as an option? You're probably missing out on a ton of bugfixes at the very least, and Super Space Defenders is an official mod from the developers which adds an additional new mini-campaign that you might enjoy.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jesto posted:

You're probably safe to update. If you're really worried, you can always export your save or something.

The current version is 1.0.99, sooo... I don't know what all you're missing. Do you even have NewGame+ as an option? You're probably missing out on a ton of bugfixes at the very least, and Super Space Defenders is an official mod from the developers which adds an additional new mini-campaign that you might enjoy.

I have NG+. Thank you for the information.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Couple quick responses:

1) There will be one or two more updates for DefQ1 before I'm done with it. Another round of bugfixes, and releasing some translations we've worked on. The thing we're waiting for is the next big sale. Got a few too many other things to work on at the moment.

2) Yes, we did bypass greenlight for Defender's Quest 2. I don't know how or why it works like that - I've known Steam devs who had several games on Steam and had to go through greenlight for each new one, others who never went through it at all. :iiam:

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Help a brother out with a 100% unscientific poll, will ya?

Which platforms are your highest priority for Defender's Quest 2?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J-YSQyGivrFX1QO9vBU1njje3cmp8R8zAm-B9NR1pvQ/viewform

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

larsiusprime posted:

Help a brother out with a 100% unscientific poll, will ya?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J-YSQyGivrFX1QO9vBU1njje3cmp8R8zAm-B9NR1pvQ/viewform

Voted! I don't usually game much on other platforms, but I jumped all over PvZ 2 for Ipad when it came out and quickly discovered I hate gaming on touch screens because my fingers are always in the way of the view.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

larsiusprime posted:

XBONE
Microsoft has finally reversed all their terrible decisions for the XBONE, but they left a bad taste in my mouth. With all these other possible things on my plate, I'm not even going to consider this unless it turns out to sell like gangbusters, and Microsoft reaches out to us and offers us a free dev kit.

Microsoft just officially confirmed that the Xbone will be launching with no indie titles, and they're not expecting to see any until early 2014 at the soonest. Turns out that they've not even sent dev kits out.

PS4 is launching with about five indie titles, and another ten or so coming in the month or two after. For a small studio that wants to self-publish, there's not even a choice to be made here.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Maybe if I could afford any of those things but PC it is for me. :v:

Even with money, I wouldn't really see point of buying it for consoles, maybe for handhelds to play on go.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
PC supremacy all the way. :toot:

Tower Defense seems like something of a niche genre, though. Even if it's souped up with RPG mechanics. You guys sure you aren't taking a gamble here?

I guess worst come to worst, you can always rely on Steam to pay off development costs through repeat customers. Maybe hope the Humble Bundle finally decides to throw you guys a bone.

Do you have any idea when you might open yourselves up to preorders, maybe include a Steam key of DQ1 as an early preorder bonus for people to give to their friends?

Edit: Also, out of curiousity, did you ever see a penny from those card sales? Because the 10% Defender's Quest developer fee is a bit misleading otherwise.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
PC supremacy. I'd probably mess around with a Android or Vita version though. PC/Consoles are all in the same place and I prefer PC so the consoles dont matter to me in that regard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'd like a(nother) strategy game for my 3DS, yeah.

Might be able to get my friend to play it even though he hates tower defense games...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Another vote for PC 100%, playing this with a controller seem horrible to me, and my fingers suck way to much on any kind of tiny touch device, not to mention if you do go the android route you'd pretty much have to price it at 99 cents and throw in IAP to make up for the cost. If you focus on the PC then you can tune the difficultly for controls that don't suck and have some awesome mod support which you probably can't do on consoles/phones.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

It's definitely a gamble to expand into new markets, and rest assured we're doing as much research as we can before committing to anything. It's also really hard to make these decisions based on anecdotal info, such as tons of people emailing me wanting the game for, say, Android tablets. Some devs I know had that exact experience, ported to <whatever> and then the market just wasn't there.

So, these "unscientific polls" aren't super reliable data, but if anything I'm most interested in what people *DON'T* vote for at all rather than what's #1.

Basically, here's some of the variables that go into the decision:

1) How many proven success stories are there on this platform?
--->If so, how close are they to us, and what chance do we have of pulling the same thing off?

2) How big is the market?

3) How difficult/expensive/time-consuming is it to port to this platform?

4) How much promotion will we get from the platform holder?

Point 4) is the most important one by far. My experience so far has taught me that absolutely nothing compares to the "eye of sauron" effect of promotion. So, I'd be more than happy to release on a platform with a smaller install base if I knew a) the audience was generally receptive to that kind of game and b) the platform holder absolutely has our back. The reasoning for this is that we're *already* on the world's largest platform -- there's over a billion PC's, but we haven't sold a billion copies of our game, let alone a million. Kongregate and Newgrounds were basically entirely responsible for our early success, and later it was GOG and Steam bringing the eyeballs. Promotion, promotion, promotion.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://www.defendersquest.com/theforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=4693#p4693

quote:

We'd love to keep our fans involved with our development process, so based on a suggestion we're going to turn to you all for some ideas regarding character skills. While we're not yet revealing much about our characters or settings yet, we have decided on most of our character classes and are looking for suggestions from the community for skills. We need both active skills and passive skills. There will be 8 active skills for each character (1 for boost 1, 2 each for boosts 2 - 4, and 1 for boost 5 that is manually-triggered). There will also be 6 - 8 passive skills, with 3 - 4 able to be active at a time. I'm also happy to take general suggestions for status effects, as those can help guide skill design too.

This is just wild brainstorming, and we're not giving a lot of context for our game world yet so some of the ideas may just not work. I also have plans for some of these already, but I'm always open to some interesting and unique ideas. Also, feasibility may rule out some of these, but you're welcome to toss them out there to see what sticks. :) I do need to give a few disclaimers first though:

- We may or may not use any of these suggestions.
- By posting in this public forum, you are giving up all right to and ownership of these ideas and will receive no compensation.
- We will try to provide credit for ideas, but make no guarantees.

With that out of the way, here are some of the 12 character classes that we'd love to get some suggestions for:

- Two-sword whirlwind. Character is best when facing lots of enemies at once, able to deal good group damage.
- Duelist. Has a sword and a whip, focused on DPS, and some harassment, against individual enemies. Good accuracy can yield critical hits.
- Archer. Longest range, emphasis on a combination of speed and crits. May have some status effect arrows too.
- Tribal Healer (nature-focused, not like an evil witch doctor). Would have healing, poison, and other concoctions to toss around.
- Amateur Mage. Magic is not particularly well understood here, so it's more experimenting with weaker magic than true mastery.
- Demolisher. Expert on explosions and destruction.
- Gunner / Inventor. Has a large-bore cannon and the ability to toss out traps. A mid-range character with enough armor to be able to hold on the front lines.
- Knight. Armored tank character, will do good generic damage.
- Guard Herald. Super heavily armored, holds a large shield. And a trumpet.

We're looking forward to seeing what you guys think, and thanks for the help!

If you want to have some input on character skills for the next game, you can pitch in in that topic. :)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larsiusprime posted:

PC. Granted with how much more I'm using my phone I could potentially see an Android...

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hey guys, just a quick question -- if we were to do a pre-order campaign, what would you be interested in seeing in reward tiers?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1he9-m_nP9IMiELm6uKAU5puhKQBKSnDa5yAHX_pw_kE/viewform

We haven't officially committed to this just yet, and if we do we haven't decided whether it would be on kickstarter or just our own site as a straight-up preorder campaign. What rewards are most important to you?

Unlike previous surveys, answers here are probably very useful data as people on a forum thread like this are probably decently representative of potential backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I don't tend to have the money for the design/name/face tiers, but I like it when games have them. They're a good place for Easter eggs and surprises. Unless there were early bird options though, the game, soundtrack, and worldbook are my top picks.

• Locked thread