Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Y'all made me think the game was out with the new posts and everything. For shame. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got a great idea: Microbrews with ridiculous procedurally generated names.

Make if happen, Ape.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Mokinokaro posted:

Breaking Valley sounds kind of awesome. Can you be the meth kingpin and save the trailer park?

Get those meth sprites in here! The harvest goddess needs her fix.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jesto posted:

Because you can't please people no matter what you do and no matter what your intentions are.

You put no minorities in your game, people will call you racist.

You put one, you've got the token minority.

You put 3-4~ (10-15% of the town population) and make one of them a prominent dateable character, it's still not enough for some people.

You make your game 25% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic and 25% asian, you're going to unintentionally assign the wrong races to the wrong characters. Hey, this white videogame developer made the homeless guy or the potential alcoholic a black guy and the doctor an overworked asian dude, how racist / stereotypical is that? And by the way, I know you can gay marry any character, but why doesn't your town have any transgendered people in it? Are you transphobic or something? :geno:

If you're a white dude on your first indie project writing anything for minorities you risk pissing someone, somewhere off to the point where it's most likely not worth the headache to write more than a few minority characters who are absolutely without flaw and won't step on anyone's toes.

But mostly because it derails the thread into pointless social issues bullshit that's a lot less interesting to read about than the game. And I'm sure there's a few threads on the forums devoted entirely to gender / race issues in media in general.

This actually brings up an interesting point with relevance to how anime does it. Have you ever seen an anime and thought "boy, those people sure look white"? To a Japanese person, those same people look Japanese. It is because they use their drawing style as a blank slate, not a racial indicator, most of the time (there are plenty of exceptions, but for the majority this holds up) and of course it does run into the problem that to a black person, a blank slate like that doesn't really work as well.

There is really no good solution but to leave everyone for the most part a blank slate and allow the players to project whatever race they fancy on it. It is just going to end up wrong and offensive otherwise, because of exactly what you describe.

It might mean that the one black character we have seen in the screenshot could be more problematic than his absence by the very problem you described.

In the end, status quo for what currently is, might just be the best idea.

As long as I can have blue hair when I make a character, that is.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

This actually brings up an interesting point with relevance to how anime does it. Have you ever seen an anime and thought "boy, those people sure look white"? To a Japanese person, those same people look Japanese. It is because they use their drawing style as a blank slate, not a racial indicator, most of the time (there are plenty of exceptions, but for the majority this holds up) and of course it does run into the problem that to a black person, a blank slate like that doesn't really work as well.

There is really no good solution but to leave everyone for the most part a blank slate and allow the players to project whatever race they fancy on it. It is just going to end up wrong and offensive otherwise, because of exactly what you describe.

It might mean that the one black character we have seen in the screenshot could be more problematic than his absence by the very problem you described.

Sorry but this is a bad post. Also the Japanese are racist as gently caress.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mordaedil posted:

This actually brings up an interesting point with relevance to how anime does it.
You completely misunderstood whatever article you read about anime and the Default Human.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Corridor posted:

Sorry but this is a bad post. Also the Japanese are racist as gently caress.

:ironicat:

Reading through some of the comments on the dev site, apparently all of the love interests are available regardless of the player's sex. Pretty neat to see that in a Harvest Moon-esque game; I don't think any of the proper titles have ever included that. Or even any non-HM farming sim titles, for that matter.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mordaedil posted:

This is really generalized and wrong, as a person's depiction is completely dependent on their artist and setting. Compare Berserk or Cowboy Bebop, where the racial characteristics are easily identifiable, to something like Utena. It's dependent on the artist more than anything.

It also goes back to the racism that's been pointed out, which is a product of a lot of different factors.

Back to Stardew Valley, a few things:

1) It would be neat to have your jobs tied to your relationship to the town and it's people.

2) Any ideas on if the town itself will change as the game goes along, or is it only the farm at this point?

3) How will marriages work with online play? Can someone from another farm woo one of the people in your town?

4) Breaking Valley would be an awesome thing to play/watch.

5) Brewing stations and a beer festival in town would be awesome, and possibly my first playthrough choice.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Catts posted:

Reading through some of the comments on the dev site, apparently all of the love interests are available regardless of the player's sex. Pretty neat to see that in a Harvest Moon-esque game; I don't think any of the proper titles have ever included that. Or even any non-HM farming sim titles, for that matter.
Yeah someone brought it up while the game was being greenlit and Ape made that change just about immediately, I think he said he just hadn't considered it until someone pointed it out.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Make if happen, Ape.

This would probably make me a day 0 deluxe preorder. Please please please

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Catts posted:

One of the Harvest Moon games that was a "female version" of the others had you able to become "best friends" with another female character. This still involved a ceremony, them moving in with you, sharing a bed, and even one of you getting pregnant (I don't remember the specifics but I think it basically involved the Harvest God(dess) showing up and saying "okay one of you two is pregnant now" basically). It was cut from the English version, though, and that was the only HM to have that if I recall correctly.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Roland Jones posted:

One of the Harvest Moon games that was a "female version" of the others had you able to become "best friends" with another female character. This still involved a ceremony, them moving in with you, sharing a bed, and even one of you getting pregnant (I don't remember the specifics but I think it basically involved the Harvest God(dess) showing up and saying "okay one of you two is pregnant now" basically). It was cut from the English version, though, and that was the only HM to have that if I recall correctly.

I knew the harvest goddess was into some weird stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Make if happen, Ape.

Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer is one of the best beers I've ever had. This is the best idea so far in the thread.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
A new update has been posted on http://stardewvalley.net/

quote:

Hi, hope you are all having a nice 2014 so far!

I’ve been busy finalizing and polishing character event cutscenes. Let me tell you a bit more about what that entails.

There are 10 “eligible” characters in the game, 5 females and 5 males (Yes, same-sex marriage/relationships are allowed!). Each one has at least 5 “events” which you’ll encounter as your relationship with the character progresses. Most of the events include conversations in which you can choose between different dialogue options. Sometimes the option you choose will affect how the rest of the event plays out. In addition to conversation options, you’ll sometimes be given a choice between multiple courses of action, which always has an effect on how the event plays out. Sometimes, choices you make in events will affect what characters end up doing in the future. Characters that you can’t marry also have these event cutscenes, but typically not as many.

I’ve been carefully going through every one of these events, adding or rewriting dialogue, new animations, props, cameo characters, settings, storylines, graphical cutscenes, sounds, music, and more! I also added a lot more cases where your choices affect how the rest of the event plays out. Additionally… while working on these events, if I encounter anything else in the game I am unhappy with I typically take a small detour and fix that as well.

So I’ve been working mostly on events, with slight detours here and there to polish other aspects of the game.

Some other new things I’ve added since last update:

2 children… a boy and a girl (seen below) — I felt that children were necessary to make the town feel more alive. They are also useful as plot elements, and have already been incorporated into other characters’ storylines.
Bath house, with locker rooms — Fun setting for events, place to relax, and an excuse to see characters in their bathing suits.
An arcade in the saloon — A place for the youth to hang out. Some fun surprises as well.

What else needs to be done before release?

Finish the rest of the events
Festivals
The Joja Corporation story arc
Post-marriage life
Finish Multiplayer
More polishing!
Testing, technical stuff, performance optimizations, possible mac and linux port

I get a feeling this is a few months off from release still.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I still think we'll be lucky to see it this year. Oh well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and here are the images:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Babby Sathanas posted:

I still think we'll be lucky to see it this year. Oh well.

I dunno, it sounds like it's in the finishing steps. Most of the more time consuming stuff like the actual farming and sprite work appears to be done, it's just making sure it all works right. And writing, of course, but that takes a lot less time.

I think we might get a release date in two or three months. Depends on how much needs fixing.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Last 10% taking 90% of the time always holds true, from that list he's still far off the polish stage and that takes far longer than anyone would expect.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I'd be happy to wait forever for this game, it has a lot to live up to, just realistically we are no where near "a few months". :toxx:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So, all the eligible NPCs are bisexual?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cicero posted:

Seems that way.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Is that a complaint? Nothing wrong with in Stardew Valleys world everyone is bi. It only benefits the player base.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?
This sounds absolutely brilliant! This is the first I've heard of it, but I am so behind it.
About time PC got something like this! Awesome job.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cicero posted:

the term is "playersexual"

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Jackard posted:

the term is "playersexual"

Sexual superposition, until you collapse their waveform they are simultaneously all sexualities.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 2, 2014

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Technically, that's on-topic.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hmm... You're pulse is high.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Doctor gets my heart racing :allears:

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I was wondering when a new update would be posted and here we are! It's about music this time:

http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-16/

I have to be honest and say I'm not entirely enamored of the Stardew Valley theme song, though I can't quite put my finger on why. The other melodies (especially for the seasons of Fall and Spring) I enjoy more.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Midrena posted:

I was wondering when a new update would be posted and here we are! It's about music this time:

http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-16/

I have to be honest and say I'm not entirely enamored of the Stardew Valley theme song, though I can't quite put my finger on why. The other melodies (especially for the seasons of Fall and Spring) I enjoy more.

All of this music is awesome. This game is awesome. I would throw all my money at my computer if I could play it now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
For being paired up with Chucklefish, dude is really bad at mastering hype what with the amount of updates he does. Still, nice to hear something.

The main theme sounds like typical fantasy-ish Shire theme, so at least it's thematically appropriate. In the beginning, at least, the later half gets messy and I can't say I care for it. The Fall theme on the other hand is pretty tame and enjoyable, for example, so I agree.

Spring theme is farm as gently caress, though.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Spring theme is farm as gently caress, though.

Haha yeah, it's why I like it -- it's so Harvest Moon it hurts. It's like nostalgia distilled into one tune.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 20, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love this music, this is great. I really liked Banished so I think this will scratch that same itch in a more personal, less abstract manner.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

drunken officeparty posted:

All of this music is awesome. This game is awesome. I would throw all my money at my computer if I could play it now.

Any word when this thing is supposed to come out? Feels like this has been around a while now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I found most of the music to be disappointing, having played a lot of Harvest Moon games.

The Goblin music did get me nostalgic about Runescape though. Thought it was nice.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Harvest Moon series was very very hit and miss with its music. It's not necessarily that there were bad songs but some of the games had "okay" songs played on a loop ad nauseam like (ironically) Harvest Moon: Magical Melody.

As long as Stardew Valley has lots of variation in the music I'll be super happy.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Winter and Lava Dwellers remind me of Secret of Mana, Summer reminds me of Super Mario RPG, Goblin Theme is reminiscent of CT/FF6. These are all good things.

edit: on second thought, Lava is more like SoM2 than SoM1, I think. And the beat on the rhythm sounds like it was taken straight from Super Metroid.

edit2: I've literally turned into panel 3 of this comic: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/06/11

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yet another dev diary, this one on festivals:

http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-17/

quote:

Egg Festival - Everyone gathers in town for a celebration of new life after a long winter. The festival concludes with an egg hunt.

Flower Dance - The townsfolk congregate in a secret meadow to feast and socialize. The young people pair up and participate in a time-honored tradition, the “Flower Dance”. It’s your chance to show a special someone that you care… just hope that you don’t get rejected!

Luau - The summer luau is one of Stardew Valley’s most beloved events. The beach is decked out with tropical adornments and a huge buffet is provided for everyone to enjoy. The Regional Governor makes a special trip each year to see what the valley has to offer… something that Mayor Lewis takes very seriously. The highlight of the luau has to be the potluck soup… a huge, simmering cauldron full of ingredients provided by the community.

Dance of the Midnight Jellies - On a warm summer night every year, the midnight jellies pass through Stardew Valley on their long migration home.

Harvest Fair - A celebration of the harvest season. Artisans, farmers, and craftspeople alike prepare exhibits to show off their hard work from throughout the year. A panel of judges awards medals to those with the most compelling displays.

I’ll leave the rest for you to discover on your own.

An interesting smattering so far, some are traditional Harvest Moon fare (I know that something like the potluck soup has made an appearance in at least one Harvest Moon game), some less so.

The post also has a little footnote on how development is progressing:

quote:

Festivals (50% finished)

Married/Family life

Joja Corporation storyline (I might cut this)

Finalizing game progression (making sure you can acquire all items, prices make sense, etc.)

Tying up loose ends (taking things i finished 95% to 100%)

Polishing

Testing

More polishing!

More testing!

Seems to me like we're in the homestretch. Kind of odd/worrisome that the major overarching plot of the game is up to be cut, though. If it does end up being nixed I hope it at least gets replaced by something. While the game will likely be fun regardless of whether or not it has a plot it would be a nice thing to have.