Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quote is not edit. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What this really needs is something interesting to do with all that content. Like, I don't know, breaking planets into chunks and chucking them at each other, or setting gas giants on fire to see what happens, or punch a hole through a sun, or grabbing two galaxies and smooshing them together to watch how they stabilize. All that simulated whatever and nothing is going on.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can't imagine the horsepower you'd need to properly emulate the physics of billions upon billions of objects in real time. Your computer would probably kill itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you fudge the "properly" a bit, probably not all that much. There's a lot of astrophysics that you could just ignore and still have a lot of fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Cardiovorax posted:

What this really needs is something interesting to do with all that content. Like, I don't know, breaking planets into chunks and chucking them at each other, or setting gas giants on fire to see what happens, or punch a hole through a sun, or grabbing two galaxies and smooshing them together to watch how they stabilize. All that simulated whatever and nothing is going on.

Isn't that what Universe Sandbox is sort of meant for? That's more for setting up weird scenarios to occur.

This game is more about exploring the cosmos, and not to really "do" things. It's going for scientific accuracy over destroying a solar system for example.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Just abandon this and play elite. Once elite has planetary landings it won't be that different from this.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

BastardySkull posted:

Just abandon this and play elite. Once elite has planetary landings it won't be that different from this.

I take it there's no timeline on when they might develop planetary landings?

Space Engine is fantastic because you can go anywhere and achieve obscene superluminary speeds, while still impressing the scale of things like galaxies upon you. So for example you can zoom out of a galaxy and then rotate around the thing taking in the full scope of it. I don't think there will ever be that sort of capability in Elite; it's designed as a first person game/simulator, as opposed to a Universe simulator?
One of my favourite things to do in SE is to hit spacecraft mode, so you have to spend quite some time accelerating to get up to a speed even where you can detect yourself moving through a starfield. I love getting up to parsec/second speeds, letting go of the accelerate button and then just looking around as I whiz through a starfield, watching the thousands of stars passing by.

Of course I can only do that for a limited amount of time as even with 16gb of RAM, SE will eventually crash from having to load too many stars.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Thanks for linking the fix! It worked for me.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Space Engine is basically the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

quote:

The prospective victim of the TPV is placed within a small chamber wherein is displayed a model of the entire universe - together with a microscopic dot bearing the legend "you are here". The sense of perspective thereby conveyed destroys the victim's mind.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I take it there's no timeline on when they might develop planetary landings?

Space Engine is fantastic because you can go anywhere and achieve obscene superluminary speeds, while still impressing the scale of things like galaxies upon you. So for example you can zoom out of a galaxy and then rotate around the thing taking in the full scope of it. I don't think there will ever be that sort of capability in Elite; it's designed as a first person game/simulator, as opposed to a Universe simulator?
One of my favourite things to do in SE is to hit spacecraft mode, so you have to spend quite some time accelerating to get up to a speed even where you can detect yourself moving through a starfield. I love getting up to parsec/second speeds, letting go of the accelerate button and then just looking around as I whiz through a starfield, watching the thousands of stars passing by.

Of course I can only do that for a limited amount of time as even with 16gb of RAM, SE will eventually crash from having to load too many stars.

The "game" people want this to be made in to seems to be Elite. This project is fine as a simulator but the guy wants to make it in to a game.

Also no mans sky but that isn't realistic.

If he made it in to an rts or something that might be interesting but otherwise I'm not sure what he's aiming for.

Edit: also on planetary landings, it will be an expansion released after the game goes live so, no.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BastardySkull posted:

If he made it in to an rts or something that might be interesting but otherwise I'm not sure what he's aiming for.

A way to monetize the work he's done so far.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BastardySkull posted:

Willing to bet this will never happen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yes, let me abandon this free software, uninstall it and delete the zip file so that I can...wait until those other devs do this thing with no eta.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I'm having an issue where I can rotate the camera, but once I let go of the middle mouse button it rotates back to the center of whatever planet I'm looking at. What gives?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Willing to bet this will never happen.

If Star Citizen managed it then...

If he wants to monetise this then he should pin down a stable release with a few more features and shove it on steam, it's a great little program and people pay money to play the likes of universe sandbox.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Star citizen hasn't managed poo poo besides eating a lot of money and a fancy playable demo yet. I literally don't understand why people place so much trust and hype into it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills every time I read about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BastardySkull posted:

If he wants to monetise this then he should pin down a stable release with a few more features and shove it on steam, it's a great little program and people pay money to play the likes of universe sandbox.

It actually already has the Greenlight on Steam, but he's just taking his sweet time with development for some reason.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sire Oblivion posted:

It actually already has the Greenlight on Steam, but he's just taking his sweet time with development for some reason.

That's a bit rude. It's not that simple developing games, especially with a small team.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Met posted:

That's a bit rude. It's not that simple developing games, especially with a small team.
Agreed, people should really give Star Citizen a break :laugh:.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Met posted:

Well he could toss up what we have now, slap a price tag on it and plaster the page with "EARLY ACCESS" like everyone else does so no one will bitch about the game crashing and be able to cash in.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well he could toss up what we have now, slap a price tag on it and plaster the page with "EARLY ACCESS" like everyone else does so no one will bitch about the game crashing and be able to cash in.

I don't think he's going to put a price on it. As well, it's up to Valve when to move a game from Greenlight to the release list. They have 1759 games as of the time of this posting that have been greenlit. Doesn't mean that they'll throw all 1759 games to the new release list at once.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm pretty sure he's going to try and monetize it in someway, he started donations so he could work on it full-time (I think he quit his job, not sure) on it. Even if it's $5 he might as well.

He feature coming up, you'll be able to line up planetary bodies and see their scale in relation to each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58h1xiP8wIA&t=12s

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm pretty sure he's going to try and monetize it in someway, he started donations so he could work on it full-time (I think he quit his job, not sure) on it. Even if it's $5 he might as well.

He feature coming up, you'll be able to line up planetary bodies and see their scale in relation to each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58h1xiP8wIA&t=12s

That is loving cool, if a little random. I like it too because it's development more towards the scientific/educational aspects of the software rather than the (currently) terrible spaceship game side of it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hate to double post but hot drat this is going to be cool (20 minute video of oculus rift support): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smyMRzS9QQM
e: holy poo poo, when he starts travelling through the starfield half way through. That poo poo is going to break my mind.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 21, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Grillo posted:

Hate to double post but hot drat this is going to be cool (20 minute video of oculus rift support): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smyMRzS9QQM
e: holy poo poo, when he starts travelling through the starfield half way through. That poo poo is going to break my mind.

I will buy a DK2 just for this if he gives us a release estimate. Jesus this is loving beautiful and I could do it forever. I wish that we had a body or something if flying around in Rift mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Realistically, there wouldn't be any 3D elements, but meh. Although I wonder if absuing 3D by giving you eyes a light year apart might impact the sense of scale.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The dev posted just today on the Oculus forum saying Rift support is very close, can't wait.

Hoots man this is a sweet bit of software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1O3XCsGnC8

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Realistically, there wouldn't be any 3D elements, but meh. Although I wonder if absuing 3D by giving you eyes a light year apart might impact the sense of scale.

Yeah, I think the general immersion of it looks intense even despite lack of proper 3D (due to the scale, right??), and this is only having viewed that video by holding my phone up to my face and letting my eyes go unfocused :P I mean, the immersion of the sim is completely insane anyway, this is just going to heighten that I suppose due to the ability to look around.

peter gabriel posted:

The dev posted just today on the Oculus forum saying Rift support is very close, can't wait.

my GOD. That video is loving unbelievable. That needs to go on his front page, right now.
I rag on the guy a lot because I really want him to go back and do better textures and details for the terrain generation but jesus christ, he deserves some awards or something. Look at this poo poo:

(larger:)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yup this game is pretty pretty alright. Music is also great.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

That video. Holy gently caress it's beautiful. It needs to be on his Front Page like yesterday, also in the OP just to show how gorgeous the game actually can be.

It's not a pre-rendered cutscene like some games would do for their promo videos then people complain it doesn't look anywhere close to the quality of the video. That is all in-engine.

To anyone who says Video Games can't be art, take a look at that video and try to disagree with the fact video games can be art.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

peter gabriel posted:

This is beautiful, I'll update the OP with it and with the new trailer made for 0.9.7.2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswRCT3097g

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Woop! Tweeted Luke Plunket at Kotaku and got that 'serenity' video on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/in-space-nobody-can-hear-you-say-this-is-beautiful-1662410104
Don't know why I advocate this program so much, developer seems to be mostly just loving around with volcanoes at the moment :confused:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Because it's loving cool despite any wrinkles in the development process.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
loving around with cosmic volcanoes is exactly what the developer should be doing at the moment.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a way to make the game travel to random points in the galaxy without controlling it yourself? Just wanna have the game run on its own with some relaxing music and see the sights.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Promontory posted:

Is there a way to make the game travel to random points in the galaxy without controlling it yourself? Just wanna have the game run on its own with some relaxing music and see the sights.

This is a good idea. It would be the best screensaver ever conceived by man.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has nothing to do with SpaceEngine but if you enjoy SE you'll enjoy this awesome short film:

http://vimeo.com/108650530

I hope SE will one day look like that.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
:siren: New version is out! :siren:

Partial changelog:

Major updates:
• Oculus Rift support
• 3D monitor and 3D TV support (anamorphic stereo pair mode, shutter glasses mode)
• 3D anaglyph glasses support
• Animated procedural stellar corona
• New star rendering
• Night textures on planets: city lights, lava
• Thermal lighting of a planet and its clouds based on: tidal heating, solar heating, young age
• Volcano with lava flows
• Melted lava planets and moons
• Planetary system chart mode: compare size of planets, moons and stars in the system

Astronomy:
• Improved solar spots
• Updated textures for many Solar system objects
• New procedural clouds texture
• Updated brown dwarf appearance
• New pink atmosphere model for brown dwarves and some planets
• New physical model of planetary atmospheres (2-layered: adiabatic troposphere and isothermal stratosphere)
• Elevations on gas giants are counted from the atmosphere level with pressure of 1 atmosphere (~1 bar)
• Improved planet temperature calculation: it now takes into account the internal and tidal heating
• Glowing hot planets illuminates neighbouring objects
• More accurate probabilities for generation of white dwarves, neutron stars, and black holes
• Icy moons smaller than 400 km and rocky moons smaller than 600 km are classified as asteroids and dwarf moons
• Improved ice specular on terras and deserts
• Large scale albedo variations on planet surface
• Computing snow altitude based on atmosphere model
• Increased level of detail of asteroids
• New planet script parameter "Panspermia", for specifying that life did not originate on that world
• "Life origin" field in the Wiki describes how life originated on that world

Interface:
• Improved quality of black hole and warp field distortion effect
• Atmospheric pressure and air temperature at the user's location is displayed in the object's info panel and in the Wiki
• Filter by planet and star parameters in the Star browser

Engine:
• Many optimizations in the engine core
• Upgraded memory manager
• Some shaders are rewritten to the GLSL 3.3 core profile
• More precise LOD setting for planets
• New catalog update/addon system
• Significantly improved catalog loading performance
• Settings for minimum distance for procedural stars and brown dwarves added to the config
• Ability to edit a barycenter parameter in the Planet editor
• Surface color parameters for gas giants and brown dwarves are renamed to colorLayer0 ... colorLayer7
• Palettes for gas giants and ice giants are split into 7 ranges according to their temperature class
• Palettes for brown dwarves are split into 3 ranges according to their spectral type (L, T, Y)
• Improved life panspermia code, new probability parameters in the universe.cfg
• Updated SolarSys3000.sc

Bug fixes:
• Fixed bug with "islands" on oceanias
• Fixed a bug where catalog neutron stars could have very low temperatures
• Fixed Roche limit calculations
• Fixed a bug with too high speed of clouds on tidally locked planets and moons
• Fixed bug with clouds on catalog planets with low atmospheric pressure
• Fixed some bugs in the planetary system generator
• Fixed the "barycenter star in binary system" artifact
• Fixed rotation parameters for moons
• Fixed density of small planets
• Fixed dwarf moons density and Roche limit check

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Awesome! Time to re-explore Space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Major updates:
• Oculus Rift support

Nooooooo it will be two whole weeks before I am back from vacation :ohdear:

• Locked thread