Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Gonz posted:

As much as I agree with you and want that to happen, it will never happen. Unless some insane billionaire funds the production of such a series out of his own bank account. It would be the most expensive TV series in history(if done to scale).

I know. :(

I can dream though. Man, that was a fun book.

Just imagine. Giant tank battles, submarine cat and mouse games, infiltrating into Iceland (I think?) :allears:

richardfun fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Red Storm Rising should be required reading for all Americans and it should be incorporated into the citizenship/naturalization test. Let's kickstart this series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell, i'd settle for a Rainbow Six series with Ding Chavez & Pals.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell yeah, Homebush stadium is doing nothing atm

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm glad this episode finally came up with a common name for the pandemic instead of just calling it "The Virus" (I'd been calling it "The Dreaded Lurgy"). That's honestly been the hardest thing for me to believe considering how news coverage works. My biggest complaint though was when we were first introduced to the Russian Admiral and they didn't make a reference to Patton.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
There's gotta be a better way to test a vaccine.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
im going to try my best to sum up this episode :

lol

e: losing my poo poo @ "i hope he treated you right"
ee: ahahaha i called this pregnancy

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 18, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They really try to hard to forced drama. For that corpse the wife missed to still be a carrier its 72 hours or less. You'd think exploring the ruins of America she'd wrap a cloth around her face or something rather then going around just inhaling every mouthful of diseased air she can find.

Also, "game is scare". Hey, 80% of the world is dead, animal populations should be skyrocketing. I know its only been 6 months but I doubt the majority of survivors in VA all went to Clearwater to deplete the local fish and wildlife stocks, or are even trained hunters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

Also, "game is scare". Hey, 80% of the world is dead, animal populations should be skyrocketing. I know its only been 6 months but I doubt the majority of survivors in VA all went to Clearwater to deplete the local fish and wildlife stocks, or are even trained hunters.
That's only something he told his grandkids when he didn't turn up with anything.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Got strong TWD vibes from this episode. I guess this means we'll be seeing more of the captain's family.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

That's only something he told his grandkids when he didn't turn up with anything.

Which he only told them because he gave away the deer he killed to the guy in the trailer who was now sick with the virus.

How the hell did he miss that part?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hmm, interested in seeing where it goes now that they have been renewed for season 2. But either way it looks like they're in the home stretch. Last Sunday's episode was alright, nothing too fancy really. Next week is the finale though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I would like the last story arc of the show before "and then life returned to normal" to be them finding a carrier strike group (about a dozen ships) so they can use the supercarrier's resources to increase production of the cure. Plus, even though the Russian Navy is nothing compared to the US Navy, surely their top admiral would be in command of more than one ship and thus we might eventually need more than a single destroyer to counter that threat? They can even keep our heroes in control by explaining that the command staff of the surviving ships all died from needlessly risking their lives.

Instead it looks like our heroes are going to needlessly risk the lives of the command crew saving the captain's stupid wife before trying to find a land based production facility for the second season.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 19, 2014

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The thread title is insulting to BSG and Lost by now, especially since the last episode felt like a weak episode of TWD as written by Michael Crichton.
Episode needed to just throw away pretending to make sense, and have the doc watch viruses fighting each other on a microscope slide.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I was really worried that Tex was gonna bite it because he's the only redeeming character in this thing. And I'm still watching.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

Plus, even though the Russian Navy is nothing compared to the US Navy, surely their top admiral would be in command of more than one ship and thus we might eventually need more than a single destroyer to counter that threat?

More ships means more people, needing more food for said people, more maintenance, more fuel, etc. I don't like the 'all eggs in one basket' but given the situation it might be the best shot the Russians had.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I would like the last story arc of the show before "and then life returned to normal" to be them finding a carrier strike group (about a dozen ships) so they can use the supercarrier's resources to increase production of the cure. Plus, even though the Russian Navy is nothing compared to the US Navy, surely their top admiral would be in command of more than one ship and thus we might eventually need more than a single destroyer to counter that threat? They can even keep our heroes in control by explaining that the command staff of the surviving ships all died from needlessly risking their lives.

Instead it looks like our heroes are going to needlessly risk the lives of the command crew saving the captain's stupid wife before trying to find a land based production facility for the second season.

Or just another US Navy ship with a commanding officer superior to our Captain (I don't even know his name) who has their own way of doing things. That way we can continue the BSG arc of the narrative.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
so as an epileptic woman who has seizures like the woman in the show had, I was of the impression that generally a grand mal seizure would be really, incredibly traumatic on a fetus. That, along with the high fever and hey deadly virus I dunno. This isn't my only gripe with this show, but any time I get any medical procedure done a pregnancy test is run (even though I have an IUD). Finally something for me to sperg over!

I was kinda starting to believe that maybe the virus had problems attacking certain black people who have sickle cell abnormalities (though it did wipe out Jamaica) and had this fantasy where they sail to Africa and it turns into an anti-white-supremacy show. That passed as soon as the one person of colour they included in their study went very downhill, tho. See TV, if you ever showed people of colour, I wouldn't be able to come to these ridiculous conclusions. (might be racist).

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Octy posted:

Or just another US Navy ship with a commanding officer superior to our Captain (I don't even know his name) who has their own way of doing things. That way we can continue the BSG arc of the narrative.

And said superior officer executed her XO on the bridge for questioning an order right?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

And said superior officer executed her XO on the bridge for questioning an order right?

I think so. Imagine the tension! They could get a whole season's worth of episodes from this.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i cant wait for season 2 when they come across a recommissioned navy carrier that only flies f14 tomcats and has hundreds of them

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Personally I can't wait for the eventual coup against the Captain, lead by the special forces dude.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I agree that the baby surviving that was a little absurd, but then she didn't even know, so the baby is like a few weeks along at most? I'm calling it now, the baby is only in the story because it will be born immune and will be the actual key to human survival after the other cure fails because reasons.

The Russians are only one ship because they are just like the Cole, they happened to be isolated, or got isolated, right after the disease got out of control, and now it's just a dude commanding his crew. It's not like they are a representative for a sovereign nation, not anymore than the Cole is.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I agree that the baby surviving that was a little absurd, but then she didn't even know, so the baby is like a few weeks along at most? I'm calling it now, the baby is only in the story because it will be born immune and will be the actual key to human survival after the other cure fails because reasons.

The Russians are only one ship because they are just like the Cole, they happened to be isolated, or got isolated, right after the disease got out of control, and now it's just a dude commanding his crew. It's not like they are a representative for a sovereign nation, not anymore than the Cole is.

this is literally the plot of bsg

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol if you're asking a doctor for anything stronger than Tylenol they'll ask you if might be pregnant yet this lady passes through to live human trials without a blood test.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i cant wait for season 2 when they come across a recommissioned navy carrier that only flies f14 tomcats and has hundreds of them

I would honestly lose my poo poo if this was real. :allears:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

WHAT A SURPRISE, the lifesaving poo poo is some magic blue whatever they stick in an IV bag.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually, speaking of the Russians, isn't that ship 100% hosed now? With patient zero out and what they thought of as the cure being no good?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Actually, speaking of the Russians, isn't that ship 100% hosed now? With patient zero out and what they thought of as the cure being no good?

Just you wait. That admiral is going to come back with a bigger and better ship next season.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Is my Africa the great theory so silly that you are all ignoring it :colbert:

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
I like this show, it remains me of Stargate and shows like that. Silly but entertaining.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
The show did confirm that basically 4 billion people died, right? I remember Doctor Lara Croft had a throwaway line about that to the Swedish Chef. Yikes.

The Russian Captain will turn up at Captain Murica's backwoods Kentucky home in the last shot of the season, he will have invented a new drug that erases and implants new memories, so Captain Russia will be their new dad. Season 2 will involve fighting this new commie drug with massive doses of freedom.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

spronk posted:

The show did confirm that basically 4 billion people died, right? I remember Doctor Lara Croft had a throwaway line about that to the Swedish Chef. Yikes.

The Russian Captain will turn up at Captain Murica's backwoods Kentucky home in the last shot of the season, he will have invented a new drug that erases and implants new memories, so Captain Russia will be their new dad. Season 2 will involve fighting this new commie drug with massive doses of freedom.

idk it keeps giving illogical quantifications of how many people are dying per day

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bob the terrible posted:

I like this show, it remains me of Stargate and shows like that. Silly but entertaining.

Compare this show to Stargate again and we're gonna have to fight :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

luscious posted:

Is my Africa the great theory so silly that you are all ignoring it :colbert:

Pretty much, yes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Africa is the safe land!

*everyone gets to africa, dies within 2 months to ebola*

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

The ship is called the Nathan James, what's the Cole?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blackchamber posted:

More ships means more people, needing more food for said people, more maintenance, more fuel, etc. I don't like the 'all eggs in one basket' but given the situation it might be the best shot the Russians had.

I still wouldn't trust the radar/firing computer of an older Russian ship to definitely score a hit before my enemy crippled my ship with probably a single tomahawk.

That said, considering how big commercial ships are (Carnival's Conquest class weighs 110k tons. The USS Nimitz weighs 100k and the USS Missouri a featherweight 45k tons) I would expect more pillaging of abandoned vessels (maybe that happened in the book?). The crew areas of a cruise ship are locked off from passengers and there would probably be more fuel left than a destroyer could hold. Likewise a single container ship hauling canned goods and that only ever had about 20 crew on board would probably keep everyone fed until your own ship rusted into the sea.

Hypotheticals aside, does anyone remember why the crew was dicking around in the passenger areas of that cruise ship? I seem to remember them coming aboard from the water, which is where the engines, fuel tanks, and cargo loading doors are, so why did they go upstairs?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I still wouldn't trust the radar/firing computer of an older Russian ship to definitely score a hit before my enemy crippled my ship with probably a single tomahawk.

That said, considering how big commercial ships are (Carnival's Conquest class weighs 110k tons. The USS Nimitz weighs 100k and the USS Missouri a featherweight 45k tons) I would expect more pillaging of abandoned vessels (maybe that happened in the book?). The crew areas of a cruise ship are locked off from passengers and there would probably be more fuel left than a destroyer could hold. Likewise a single container ship hauling canned goods and that only ever had about 20 crew on board would probably keep everyone fed until your own ship rusted into the sea.

Hypotheticals aside, does anyone remember why the crew was dicking around in the passenger areas of that cruise ship? I seem to remember them coming aboard from the water, which is where the engines, fuel tanks, and cargo loading doors are, so why did they go upstairs?

I think they were looking for survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wandle Cax posted:

The ship is called the Nathan James, what's the Cole?

Sorry, for some reason my brain said Nathan Cole. I don't know why.

• Locked thread