Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will be 0-8 Florida A&M's first win in December?
This poll is closed.
South Carolina State 3 5.26%
Miskatonic 18 31.58%
North Florida 1 1.75%
Florida International 3 5.26%
Trick question, there's no such school as Florida A&M 32 56.14%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

MourningView posted:

UNI is really good, that's not some embarassing loss or something.

Sure. If you ignore that Iowa scored 15 points in a half like they were playing Kentucky or something lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That score made me look up Ali Farokhmanesh and I just learned that he's an assistant at Nebraska now. And also the whitest half-Iranian dude ever.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My feelings on Farokhmanesh are so mixed, because on one hand, gently caress him forever, but on the other hand, he was so awesome. And that name. I hope he gets an HC somewhere at some point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope he falls down an elevator shaft.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

Saturday can't come soon enough.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kiimo posted:

I hope he falls down an elevator shaft.

What did he ever do to... oh... oooh...ohhhhhh,....OHHHHHH :laugh:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Content: New Top 25

1. Kentucky (65)
2. Duke
3. Arizona
4. Louisville
5. Virginia
6. Wisconsin
7. Villanova
8. Gonzaga
9. Texas
10. Kansas
11. Wichita St.
12. Iowa St.
13. Washington
14. Utah
15. Maryland
16. Notre Dame
17. St. John's
18. West Virginia
19. Oklahoma
20. N. Carolina
21. Ohio St.
22. Baylor
23. Northern Iowa
24. Colorado St.
25. TCU

Views: Big XII :smug: and :lol: Ranking TCU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU unranked :(

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It seems like the ACC is really tough at the top and that's really cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think you will find that Duke being good is not actually cool at all.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

But Duke losing to a terrible team in the tournament in hilarious fashion is very cool.

You have to play the long game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
they're gonna beat pretty much everyone until they lose to Kentucky because they can throw like 5 6'10" dudes at Okafor, and it is butts.

Jalil Okafor should not be in college, it is dumb and pointless and unfair.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

We all feverishly cling to the dream of them losing to a 16-seed.

I think the ACC has the most talent at the top of any conference and will likely be able to make a pretty good argument for two 1-seeds, though they may not get that based on the strength of the Big XII and Big Ten and the relatively clear case for Arizona if they don't drop off. (Kentuck is likely a mortal lock for the other one.)

It's a shame Kentucky is so good because otherwise this would be a really interesting season where you have a bunch of really talented squads.

I think the Big XII will be really fun to watch down the stretch. I think we have two paper tigers in TCU and Baylor (and :laugh: at this) that haven't played very difficult schedules and in Baylor's case, lost to the only good team they've played so far. Kansas and Texas are really good and I think they'll challenge for top seeds. ISU/OU are, IMO, in the next tier down and could make some noise. I think we're too inconsistent on offense (our press is sick nasty, but god help us if we have to play in the half-court) to realistically think about being much better than a 6/7 seed once we've gone through the season. OSU/KSU aren't anyone to sleep on, but I think OSU will struggle in the Big XII as will KSU and only one of them and possibly neither will end up with a bid.

And then there's Tech. :lol:

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

MourningView posted:

they're gonna beat pretty much everyone until they lose to Kentucky because they can throw like 5 6'10" dudes at Okafor, and it is butts.

Jalil Okafor should not be in college, it is dumb and pointless and unfair.

It's unfair, I agree, but you can't really say that it's dumb and pointless. The NBA gets to realize a ton of free marketing and gets to draft ready-made stars instead of high school kids that only NBA superfans have ever heard of. Oakafor would've been a virtual unknown heading into last year's draft if he hadn't been recruited by Duke for so long. That a Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins had been on TV 20+ times before the draft is meaningful for the NBA. I agree that it's not fair to the kids but I see the NBA's reasoning and it's not pointless. Just selfish.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is pointless from the perspective of Jahlil Okafor. I don't really care if the NBA makes a lot of extra money. And he would not have been a total unknown. He's been talked about as a future first round pick forever, Duke didn't just stumble on him.

Anyway I mostly just annoyed Duke gets to rent out a totally unguardable dude for a year and win a bunch of games because I would prefer Duke did not win anything ever.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

On one hand I completely understand how it's unfair and/or selfish of both the NBA and the colleges; but I also see a real advantage for the players if the rule were actually stronger both in terms of getting an education (bear with me) and also in development of skills. I think a lot of guys who went straight to the pros would have been a lot better served by going to college first and developing as players.

If they were forced to spend more than a year in college and actually get a baseline of education (I think the NCAA should set some meaningful templates for athletes re: their classes) and also get actual coaching they'd have a much better chance of success and you'd have fewer players who burned out that would have been far, far better served going to college. That, of course, is somewhat idealistic I know and as is, I think the way the system works isn't very equitable and doesn't really do much for anyone but the NBA.

I do like the idea that has been floated of letting people come back to play from the D-league.

MourningView posted:

It is pointless from the perspective of Jahlil Okafor. I don't really care if the NBA makes a lot of extra money. And he would not have been a total unknown. He's been talked about as a future first round pick forever, Duke didn't just stumble on him.

Anyway I mostly just annoyed Duke gets to rent out a totally unguardable dude for a year and win a bunch of games because I would prefer Duke did not win anything ever.

I think its completely unfair to the players, the other teams, and in the long-run, the fans.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Players are a lot more likely to develop and get better if literally all they do is play basketball with access to the best compeition/training/coaching/etc in the world, I don't really buy college being better for them from that perspective at all. The NBA likes to pretend that tons of guys were going destitute by entering college out of high school before they were ready, but almost everyone who did it wound up with a long NBA career. It self-selected people capable of making the jump just fine. People know Korleone Young's name because he was an outlier, and he wasn't going to be that much better served with a year or two of a BA in liberal studies or whatever anyway.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Players are a lot more likely to develop and get better if literally all they do is play basketball with access to the best compeition/training/coaching/etc in the world, I don't really buy that at all. The NBA likes to pretend that tons of guys were going destitute by entering college out of high school, but almost everyone who did it wound up with a long NBA career. People know Korleone Young's name because he was an outlier, and he wasn't going to be that much better served with a year or two of a BA in liberal studies or whatever anyway.

Not really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

But again, my point was that I think the system could be made to serve them very well (e.g., reforming the way we educate those players.) but that's not likely to happen so they might as well do what is in the players best interest and let them go pro.

Like its a somewhat larger point about how we (_royal we_) fundamentally fail athletes at a systematic level in high school and college, particularly the fairly "talented" ones.

On the developmental bit, I think part of it is that like our women's coach pointed out to me: if you're a talented kid playing high school ball --and as he said, if you're really talented you're shuffled off to a prep academy which is a farce at best -- you're likely never going to be "coached" on really basic things because you can just push through it because you're physically better than most of the players you're going to be facing, etc. It's not like kids go to AAU camp to work on their shooting mechanics.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 22, 2014

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't care if the NBA makes a lot of extra money either, I am just exploring their perspective. And while you and I had heard of him, many first round picks in the HS to NBA days were relative unknowns especially when compared to the draftees since this rule has been applied. Garnett? Dwight Howard? Kobe Bryant? Yeah, major basketball fans had heard of these guys before the draft but how many had seen them? It's a really different thing to finally see Jahlil Oakafor play even if you're a despicable nerd like myself that reads scouting reports and watches highlight footage all summer. The hype that creates can't be compared to any pre-1-year-rule players besides LeBron James(I'm not saying that any 1-and-done player matched LeBron in terms of hype just to be clear).

I don't think the NBA really pretends that the year in college is for development purposes. AFAIK they always claimed it was really, really helpful with their scouting as an NBA-caliber player in the college ranks is easier to quantify than an NBA-caliber player lazily destroying HS teams. And NBA scouting is bad enough that I buy that.

I do think it's unfair to Oakafor and players like him though. Maybe if you could pick a HS player in the first 3 or 5 picks it'd make more sense because that would keep you from getting Telfair'd but wouldn't screw over those Rose/Wiggins/Oakafor absolutely obvious top 5 picks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Well letting the NCAA teams compensate players (and I think ultimately giving them access to some sort of trust for post career) would/could make it more attractive to players to go to college versus taking their chances in the D-league for all but the absolute most talented kids like Rose/Wiggins/Oakafor/Durant/Parker/Kentucky's Roster.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Guys on that list who didn't get multiple NBA contracts: Young, Leon Smith, Cisse, Ebi, Swift, Lang, Sanchez. That is fewer than the number who went on to be all NBA. Maybe they didn't all become superstars, but they all made a ton of money playing professional basketball for a fairly long time. That's pretty dang good, and I don't really see much reason to believe they'd have been dramatically better off playing a 1-4 years of colleg (I would actually guess that a few of them would have been worse off because their limitations as players would have been exposed earlier or they'd have gotten hurt).

In a world where they were getting a real education in college and it was a viable backup plan I might be more sympathetic to the idea that they should go to school, but since neither of those things are true now or appear likely to be true in the near future they're pretty much just getting hosed so the NBA can have a free feeder system/publicity generator.

quote:

On the developmental bit, I think part of it is that like our women's coach pointed out to me: if you're a talented kid playing high school ball --and as he said, if you're really talented you're shuffled off to a prep academy which is a farce at best -- you're likely never going to be "coached" on really basic things because you can just push through it because you're physically better than most of the players you're going to be facing, etc. It's not like kids go to AAU camp to work on their shooting mechanics.

Most really talented guys can get by without learning it in college too. I don't think the experience of the West Virginia women's coach is all that instructive when you're talking about players at this level.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 22, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Most really talented guys can get by without learning it in college too. I don't think the experience of the West Virginia women's coach is all that instructive when you're talking about players at this level.

Given that's he's coached men's college basketball (and was in the context: "would you take a men's job if were offered to you?") and that other coaches like, oh you know, Bob Huggins and K have said the same thing :allears:

But yes, that's part of the larger critique on both the NBA and the state of the game. I doubt either of us is going to agree on that point.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

In actual news, it's a shame WVU is going to lose to Wofford tonight. :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Given that's he's coached men's college basketball (and was in the context: "would you take a men's job if were offered to you?") and that other coaches like, oh you know, Bob Huggins and K have said the same thing :allears:

Well those guys also have a vested interest in saying that so duh.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Well those guys also have a vested interest in saying that so duh.

K maybe, I don't think Huggs cares because we're never going to recruit a one-and-done to WVU. He's talked a lot about how its harder to coach kids coming out AAU and stuff now because they're not used to being pushed at all.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 23, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

K maybe, I don't think Huggs cares because we're never going to recruit a one-done to WVU. He's talked a lot about how its harder to coach kids coming out AAU and stuff now because they're not used to being pushed at all.

He may not get them recently but I'm sure he's recruited them, especially at his previous stops. Dude recruited Michael Beasley.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 23, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

He may not get them recently but I'm sure he's recruited them, especially at his previous stops. Dude coached Michael Beasley.

Yeah, I don't think -- given Hugg's MO -- that he's being anything less than honest when he says that kids are less coachable and aren't as sound fundamentally as they used to be, especially when comes to playing defense.

I think we're in agreement though that the rule isn't really fair to anyone but NBA franchises though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not disagreeing with the idea that they're often poorly coached out of AAU. That is obviously true. I take issue with the idea that they're getting that they're getting that coaching in college in a way that they wouldn't be better served getting in the pros.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that they're often poorly coached out of AAU. That is obviously true. I take issue with the idea that they're getting that they're getting that coaching in college in a way that they wouldn't be better served getting in the pros.

I don't actually think they are in most cases, either. I think they might if they had to stay more than year in college.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I despise him, but :ohdear: wish him well.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12056548/cincinnati-bearcats-coach-mick-cronin-aneurysm

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Suck it Kansas

Go Owls :unsmith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU senior Dwayne Polee collapsed on the court last night, and was taken to the hospital via ambulance. He was down on the floor for about 15 minutes before regaining consciousness, and all reports are that he's okay and aware of his surroundings. He was kept in the hospital over night as a precaution.

I hope it was just dehydration or something. Be okay, Polee.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

sbaldrick posted:

So what happened to UCLA?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Kentucky is really good

I'm really happy I was drunk as poo poo all weekend. I was at a friend's house and the first time we checked the score it was 28-4.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

VDay posted:

I'm really happy I was drunk as poo poo all weekend. I was at a friend's house and the first time we checked the score it was 28-4.

That was following one of UCLA's better runs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Kansas got completely destroyed by Temple last night. I'd expect to see them in the tournament come march. They'll probably do very well with all of the experience and depth.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 23, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I spent the game being impressed with Temple rather than worrying about Kansas. I feel like they will be ranked soon and that's not fanspeak.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

SDSU senior Dwayne Polee collapsed on the court last night, and was taken to the hospital via ambulance. He was down on the floor for about 15 minutes before regaining consciousness, and all reports are that he's okay and aware of his surroundings. He was kept in the hospital over night as a precaution.

I hope it was just dehydration or something. Be okay, Polee.

Yeah that was pretty horrifying. I hope the kids ok and it isn't some sort of heart thing. If it is in fact the heart, he's very lucky to be alive. Gathers 2.0 would have sucked.

E: No updates yet suggest it might have been more than dehydration. Thoughts and prayers from the USD side. I always joke that our tuition dollars entitle us to a few favors from the big guy. Joking aside, i'm hoping this is one of those times prayers work. No one deserves to have the game taken away from them. I can't even imagine with how many times this game has kept me upright.

thompson fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 23, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

VDay posted:

I was super sad given it was only the second game I could watch all year.

Against unranked teams Kentucky should only be allowed to start their third string. To give other teams a fight chance.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
I may be a rarity among UK fans but I want to see a UK-UVa match-up more than a UK-Duke match-up.

I am not scared of Duke. UK-UVa though? That could be a game for the ages.

Final score: 32-27, UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

sbaldrick posted:

I was super sad given it was only the second game I could watch all year.

Against unranked teams Kentucky should only be allowed to start their third string. To give other teams a fight chance.

They kinda play like poo poo against the unranked teams though (for the first half). It's the ranked teams where they should be trotting out the third string, because they always seem to maul those.

• Locked thread