Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
At first I was excited he was taking on the vaccine "debate" as we need more skeptical content on TV but that episode was a disaster.

The entire panel revolved around false balance which is amusing to me because John Oliver handled the topic of false balance so well on his show (regarding climate change yes, but just as applicable here).

Seriously this episode was embarrassing. I knew the lady was going to be anti-vax as soon as he introduced her, the man was just woefully ignorant on the topic, the doctor was way too timid and the comedian was really the only person who challenged the idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I get that he can't have his panel be a 'hit piece' segment where Larry, some scientists and some experts just lambast some lone tin-hatted nutjob for 8 minutes but one can hope, right?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I don't get what people are so mad about. The Nightly Show is great.

Last night's monologue was funny (funnier than TDS) and made it very clear that Larry thinks people who don't vaccinate their kids are idiots. The panel was basically 4 against 1. The anti-vaccine woman wasn't there to give the illusion of balance, they spent the entire panel shutting down everything she said. They just weren't jerks about it. I don't know how you could watch that and think they were giving any legitimacy to the anti-vaccination movement.

The only thing you could say they did to make it look positive was to humanize the parents who refuse vaccines out of an emotional fear-based reaction. While it's obviously an irrational and stupid decision, I at least understand that.

I feel like people in this thread want the show to be Larry calling war veterans child murderers to their faces, and telling a sweet-seeming sorta timid woman that she did a terrible job raising her kids. That wouldn't be funny, it would be uncomfortable.

Normally I get annoyed when people pull the "comedy show" card to fight off any criticism of these shows, but I think inviting people with stupid opinions to the panel to act as sources of mild conflict is totally okay. As long as the official stance of the show is against the stupid opinions I have no problem with it. I got some laughs out of the panel, and they were all at the anti-vaccine woman's expense.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 29, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This show is just stupid and not funny. Crossballs did this better.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't get what people are so mad about. The Nightly Show is great.

Last night's monologue was funny (funnier than TDS) and made it very clear that Larry thinks people who don't vaccinate their kids are idiots. The panel was basically 4 against 1. The anti-vaccine woman wasn't there to give the illusion of balance, they spent the entire panel shutting down everything she said. They just weren't jerks about it. I don't know how you could watch that and think they were giving any legitimacy to the anti-vaccination movement.

The only thing you could say they did to make it look positive was to humanize the parents who refuse vaccines out of an emotional fear-based reaction. While it's obviously an irrational and stupid decision, I at least understand that.

I feel like people in this thread want the show to be Larry calling war veterans child murderers to their faces, and telling a sweet-seeming sorta timid woman that she did a terrible job raising her kids. That wouldn't be funny, it would be uncomfortable.

Normally I get annoyed when people pull the "comedy show" card to fight off any criticism of these shows, but I think inviting people with stupid opinions to the panel to act as sources of mild conflict is totally okay. As long as the official stance of the show is against the stupid opinions I have no problem with it. I got some laughs out of the panel, and they were all at the anti-vaccine woman's expense.

she literally lied saying that black people get autism by getting their vaccines on time so theres that

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

she literally lied saying that black people get autism by getting their vaccines on time so theres that

She fell for emotionally charged propaganda I guess we should burn her at the stake.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I personally thought Larry did a great job of letting the anti-vaxxer dig her own grave. She sounded loving retarded even before anyone else said anything.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Bass Bottles posted:

She fell for emotionally charged propaganda I guess we should burn her at the stake.

Or maybe, you know, not give her a platform for her stupid and dangerous opinions.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

kittenmittons posted:

Or maybe, you know, not give her a platform for her stupid and dangerous opinions.

They spent the entire panel shooting down everything she said. They let ONE thing slip by because pausing the panel to pull up Snopes would be ridiculous, and 100% of TNS audience knew it was BS anyway.

It sort of seems like you just want to see someone yell liberal talking points at conservatives while the audience cheers, which is basically 99% of The Daily Show these days. Hmm.

That's why Jon blew his interview with Huckabee the other day. Huckabee's book is all about how the left doesn't understand people on the right and just criticizes them for being wrong. Then Jon went and did exactly that. What he should have done was acknowledged that there is truth to what Huckabee was saying and caught him off guard. Once that had been established, all he'd have to do was ask if maybe Huckabee's book was doing the exact same thing from the other direction. That would have been a slam dunk, instead of the usual angry yelling that just makes people fooled by conservative values pull back into their comfortable bubbles.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
The anti vaccine movement isn't even a liberal Vs. Conservative issue so maybe you were reading a little too much into my post.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I have mostly enjoyed the Nightly Show so far but I couldn't finish watching that. I knew what was coming as soon as they said the name of her website.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Man I miss the Reddit thread, I almost want to know which MRA idiots were talking about this.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I'm weirdly attracted to Kristen Schaal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Bass Bottles posted:

They let ONE thing slip by because pausing the panel to pull up Snopes would be ridiculous, and 100% of TNS audience knew it was BS anyway.

You are comically overestimating people. Young parents are exactly the type of people who eat up everything anti-vaxxers spit out.

You shouldn't have a panel on vaccinations because it isn't a debate worth having. It's solidly one-sided, and pretending otherwise is dangerous. TNS gave her a platform and she took advantage of it. The only correct way to handle a person like her is to keep her away from a camera.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One day I'd like to see a segment on stupid poo poo women's groups have gotten mad about.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Jax-Guy1 posted:

Same, and goddamn that segment was hilarious.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh gently caress me, they had an anti-vaxxer on Larry's show? I almost watched it on their video feed today, thank goodness I didn't.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Bass Bottles posted:

all he'd have to do was ask if maybe Huckabee's book was doing the exact same thing from the other direction. That would have been a slam dunk, instead of the usual angry yelling that just makes people fooled by conservative values pull back into their comfortable bubbles.

Didn't he do exactly that? He kept pressing the the idea from Huckabee that coastal "liberals" look down on the simple country folk in the flyover states, that those people then take a down-to-earth "life" education that those darn city folks don't get; the anti-intellectual, anti-Ivy League stance. Huckabee was either too dense to understand, or was just more interested in selling his book. I mean his hypothetical at the end proved exactly that.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Regarding the Daily Show: I think we shouldn't pretend there is some argument that is going to actually shut Huckabee or anybody else down. These people get paid to represent the abhorrent beliefs of their side.

Also I personally have enjoyed the Nightly Show so far, I feel like when Larry realizes the crazy guy on the left is just spouting nonsense he just kind of stops them to let someone else have time to contribute actual content. I can understand how that could be a piss poor tactic with something as dangerous as anti-vaccination but I feel like with Cosby and with this Koch episode it is a strategy that has great strength at keeping conversation funny and flowing. My go to example is going to be the Radio guy on the Koch episode and his "Larry and Radio guy start a business and now can't talk about politics" story that was thankfully cut short before we could find out how accepting dark money really is just the best thing for everyone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jax-Guy1 posted:

She objectively possesses the cutest voice in the world and simply on that level I don't blame you

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Hari Kondabolu should be a recurring panelist. He didn't have too much to say about Koch but he'll definitely have nice sound bites if it's about race, immigration, free speech, etc.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

old dog child posted:

I personally thought Larry did a great job of letting the anti-vaxxer dig her own grave. She sounded loving retarded even before anyone else said anything.

I agree with this. Nothing she said sounded the least bit credible or rational - it was all just "Well, man, we just don't KNOW. Also, CORPORATIONS, maaaan!" Which is good, because that's a fair representation of the anti-vaxxer group: completely uninformed morons.

I only wish he had pressed her a little further when she said she feared for her children; that would have been a good opportunity to ask, "Afraid of what, exactly?"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Je suis fatigue posted:

Didn't he do exactly that? He kept pressing the the idea from Huckabee that coastal "liberals" look down on the simple country folk in the flyover states, that those people then take a down-to-earth "life" education that those darn city folks don't get; the anti-intellectual, anti-Ivy League stance. Huckabee was either too dense to understand, or was just more interested in selling his book. I mean his hypothetical at the end proved exactly that.

I don't think Jon was willing to admit that Ivy-league elitism is a real thing. He just went "Nuh-uh, YOU'RE the jerks." He was combative instead of understanding.

Obviously he wasn't going to get Huckabee to admit his book was bad, but it would have been very clear that Huckabee was wrong.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Bass Bottles posted:

Pointing out even once the horrible views and things Chris Kyle said he did is not remotely near calling a veteran a child murderer to their face. Neither is attempting to refute debunked reports or dumb "big pharma" arguments uncomfortable.

The fact that you frame things this way seems odd.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Spoke Lee posted:

Pointing out even once the horrible views and things Chris Kyle said he did is not remotely near calling a veteran a child murderer to their face. Neither is attempting to refute debunked reports or dumb "big pharma" arguments uncomfortable.

The fact that you frame things this way seems odd.

That's not what I said, though.

People keep wanting Larry to act aggressively toward the panel guests and verbally berate them for having wrong or bad opinions. The show makes it very clear that bad opinions are bad, it just doesn't try to make panelists overly emotional/upset because that has no place in a comedy show.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think Jon was willing to admit that Ivy-league elitism is a real thing. He just went "Nuh-uh, YOU'RE the jerks." He was combative instead of understanding.
Huh? He was criticizing Huckabee's implications that the "bubble" America was some sort of debauched moral cesspit by saying, "Dude, look at what your folksy hero is actually saying, we don't have a monopoly on debauchery". Jon was trying to say everyone was essentially the same, and that we're all blind to our own side's "failings". Huckabee wouldn't grant him that, so Jon got stuck on that point and never moved on, but it was hardly just a "you guys are jerks" tirade or anything.

Bass Bottles posted:

People keep wanting Larry to act aggressively toward the panel guests and verbally berate them for having wrong or bad opinions. The show makes it very clear that bad opinions are bad, it just doesn't try to make panelists overly emotional/upset because that has no place in a comedy show.
I think it's just the anti-vaccine position. Some folks were also frustrated by the hero worship in the sniper episode, but for politics he's doing fine by being respectful.

Things like the anti-vaccination people are a kind of unique situation that strains normal rules of politeness and open discourse. First because they are, no question, wrong, 100%. There's no legitimate point of debate. But that's okay- if someone was disputing the theory of gravity, or more realistically, evolution, there's no reason to be a dick to them. You can still discuss it fine. Publicly even.

But anti-vaccination stuff has emotional appeal, and a very real possibility to inspire child abuse. Like glorification of self-harm or suicide, it has a very real possibility to cause harm just by talking about it in the wrong way.

In a private conversation with that anti-vaccination woman, by all means, it's best to be polite. But if you're going to give them a stage to speak on to thousands of people, you need to shut them down unambiguously or you're being tremendously irresponsible. This poo poo can and will cause real harm.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, as someone who chimed in for both episodes, my issue with the American Sniper episode is very different (and I'll admit, a bit of a pet-peeve for me) than the vaccine episode. I was annoyed by the former because the entire discussion had no loving point. It started with the laughable question of "Iraq was a bad thing, does that matter?" in the broadest possible way and then only touched on the whole "snipers are cowards" aspect, which was already a foregone conclusion since The Nightly Show obviously wouldn't agree. It was just a half-hour of treading water.

But I found the latter actively irresponsible, in that it granted more legitimacy to a side that will cause literal harm and death due to sheer ignorance. I don't care if they poked fun at her a bit- the show did not refute her at all, so to anyone watching it who isn't already laughing at the anti-vaccine woman, it has now added a voice to the room that says it is okay to endanger children just because your parental gut tells you that needles are scary and government/Big Pharma is bad. You don't treat that kind of position with kid gloves- you either ignore it and deny it any power (my preference, since I agree that seeing four people shout down a delusional but otherwise well-intentioned woman would not be entertaining in the slightest) or you break it down clearly for everyone to see so that it can't become an acceptable stance.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Bass Bottles posted:

That's not what I said, though.

It's not aggression to challenge a guest at least once in a calm manner.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Generic American posted:

But I found the latter actively irresponsible, in that it granted more legitimacy to a side that will cause literal harm and death due to sheer ignorance. I don't care if they poked fun at her a bit- the show did not refute her at all, so to anyone watching it who isn't already laughing at the anti-vaccine woman, it has now added a voice to the room that says it is okay to endanger children just because your parental gut tells you that needles are scary and government/Big Pharma is bad. You don't treat that kind of position with kid gloves- you either ignore it and deny it any power (my preference, since I agree that seeing four people shout down a delusional but otherwise well-intentioned woman would not be entertaining in the slightest) or you break it down clearly for everyone to see so that it can't become an acceptable stance.

I think you're overestimating how many people who are, shall we say, "undecided" on the issue were watching the show, though. I'd guess that most people who watch the show already have their opinions made up on it, and very, very few of them are anti-vaxxers. I strongly doubt that that crazy, inarticulate, not terribly smart lady made her argument seem any more credible with that appearance.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Spoke Lee posted:

It's not aggression to challenge a guest at least once in a calm manner.

I feel like they spent the entire panel challenging her points but okay.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sorry, but "Doogie Howser M.DEEZ NUTS" was the funniest thing possible.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Majorian posted:

I think you're overestimating how many people who are, shall we say, "undecided" on the issue were watching the show, though. I'd guess that most people who watch the show already have their opinions made up on it, and very, very few of them are anti-vaxxers. I strongly doubt that that crazy, inarticulate, not terribly smart lady made her argument seem any more credible with that appearance.
That is quite possible, yeah. I've always been prone to being overly cautious, so it would make sense. But anti-vaccine sentiment is one of the rare issues that I find truly transcends the right/left divide, so I don't think it's entirely unwarranted as a concern either. Or just people who give zero fucks and watch the Daily Show and Colbert (now The Nightly Show) for giggles. She was appealing to the parental ego for most of the episode, which is surprisingly effective in a lot of otherwise smart people I've known. Even if no one actually gets burned, I still think the show was playing with fire there.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 30, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Toona the Cat posted:

Same, and goddamn that segment was hilarious.

Kristen Schaal is really good in her Daily Show segments.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They're, uh... really digging deep for this second segment, aren't they? Jessica's doing the best with what she's got to work with, at least.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

raditts posted:

They're, uh... really digging deep for this second segment, aren't they? Jessica's doing the best with what she's got to work with, at least.

Yeah I mean, it's stupid, but this isn't exactly an issue unique to politics I would think.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah I mean, it's stupid, but this isn't exactly an issue unique to politics I would think.

Sometimes they like to end the week on a light note. But yeah, pretty tame.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't date anyone who said "I'm a Republican" because they either mean "I'm a neoconservative" or "I'm grossly uninformed about actual party platforms."

Maybe if they said "I'm a Republican, and so is Obama, which is why I voted for him."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Maybe if they said "I'm a Republican, and so is Obama, which is why I voted for him."

:rolleyes:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus Christ, I think it's better that Belichick doesn't speak much at press conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
After catching up on this week's Daily/Nightly Show episodes, I'm a little mixed on the Nightly Show format and I'm wondering what it's going to grow into. I mostly just wonder where the format will go if it has to come up with a panel-worthy topic 4x a week. Additionally, cramming the setup for the rest of the episode in the first segment also gets frustrating. The anti-vax episode, especially, felt like a topic Jon Oliver should have ranted about for 20mins, rather than cramming the meat of the topic into the 7.5 minutes before the commercial break.

• Locked thread