Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

slogsdon posted:

this has pretty much gone out the window since browsers are rolling their own lovely pdf rendering engines now
yeah now web pdfs are handled by something with less 0days (except for maybe internet explorer, sorry shaggar), it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

what does graphics even mean? photo? video? print? web?

video is 100x better on windows, its a loving nightmare on osx, photo is p much the same, print is better on winders

printing is unironically better on os x

you don't have to install 400 mb printer drivers that spew horrible vendor programs all over the place that you have to use if you just want to loving print something and networking printers is ridiculously easy

cups supremacy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

cups supremacy

thanks to cups setting up printers is now actually easier on linux of all things than windows. go to the print settings, have it automatically detect your network printer and hit 'ok'. done.

trying to setup the same printer on windows requires, at minimum, the 'slim' driver package that's still 40 megs and installs a bunch of bullshit "ORDER MORE INK" icons everywhere.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The_Franz posted:

trying to setup the same printer on windows requires, at minimum, the 'slim' driver package that's still 40 megs and installs a bunch of bullshit "ORDER MORE INK" icons everywhere.

"oh no! the network printer is connected with a network cable and not the USB, you'll have to hook it up to USB to join the wireless network"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Beeftweeter posted:

printing is unironically better on os x

you don't have to install 400 mb printer drivers

fyi this is because every os x install comes with like 5gb of printer drivers you will never use

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
naw, it just comes with a handful of common drivers, and if you need something for a lovely home office printer you just picked up from staples, it'll download them for you

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i remember when people were unironically mad about driver.cab eating their precious hdd space

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

fyi this is because every os x install comes with like 5gb of printer drivers you will never use

it actually doesnt. thanks for trying though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The_Franz posted:

thanks to cups setting up printers is now actually easier on linux of all things than windows. go to the print settings, have it automatically detect your network printer and hit 'ok'. done.

we have a cheap wifi printer and windows assumes its going to have the same ip forever so if its ip ever changes and you want to print on windows you have to reinstall the printer lol

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

we had a konica thingamabob which driver has no concept of subnets so my machine being in a different one can't print to it while being in the same room welp

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

heard adobe is finally pulling cs6 its all creative clowd now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

im the picture of a screen that someone took, imported into their computer, cropped and uploaded instead of just taking a screenshot

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

THC posted:

we have a cheap wifi printer and windows assumes its going to have the same ip forever so if its ip ever changes and you want to print on windows you have to reinstall the printer lol
i have some lovely thermal printers at work that require their own printer management software to be downloaded and used for this exact reason lol

an extra 500 mb of install space just to make sure a printer is still installed even if another pc's ip changes

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Binary Badger posted:

heard adobe is finally pulling cs6 its all creative clowd now

good

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if the printer does not say BROTHER on it, it is not allowed into my house

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Beeftweeter posted:

it actually doesnt. thanks for trying though

well, it used to. i haven't installed os x in a long time.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

can you imagine the looks on people's faces if you went back 20 years and told them of the future of computers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

can you imagine the looks on people's faces if you went back 20 years and told them of the future of computers?

"computers are smaller, faster and have lots of advertisements" isn't exactly mind-blowing

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i'd be highly disappointed

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

qirex posted:

"computers are smaller, faster and have lots of advertisements" isn't exactly mind-blowing

yes, certainly the only thing that defied expectations and "common knowledge"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i don't think there have been any truly shocking developments in computers since 1995. the specifics might weird them out ("it's extremely common for people to take photographs of their food when they go out to dinner and host them on the internet for other people to view") but the general trajectory of smaller, lighter, internet connections in everything was pretty obvious at that time

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

cthulhoo posted:

i'd be highly disappointed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you don't have a computer that plugs directly into your skull? you just have lameass oculus goggles? what is this loving poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

im the picture of a screen that someone took, imported into their computer, cropped and uploaded instead of just taking a screenshot
more like took the picture and then added it to my post in awful app which uploads them automatically

would have been more effort to take the screenshot and transfer the screenshot from random POS windows box onto my posting station

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i would tell them not to move to syria and to support president bashar al assad because that fucker is gonna win. go team usa.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

well, it used to. i haven't installed os x in a long time.

Yes, but now that people have broadband internet connections there's no longer a need. OS X automatically downloads the necessary printer driver, and updates it it a new driver is released.

edit: Apple owns CUPS and employs the main CUPS developer(s). They even added an exemption to CUPS' open source license that allows companies to make closed-source CUPS drivers but only for OS X.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 5, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

os x is much smaller than wandows op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Doc Block posted:

They even added an exemption to CUPS' open source license that allows companies to make closed-source CUPS drivers but only for OS X.

good

• Locked thread