Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i put quotes around useful because the things i saw people walk out with were: empty box of tide with the top ripped off

why would one need an empty Tide box

e: snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 205 days!)

buttcrackmenace posted:

they wanted to go out "tide", dumbass

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Cracked_Gear posted:

Six months ago there were three kmarts within 5 miles of where I live. two nice Super Kmarts that were recently built and actually nice stores, and one lovely regular kmart that's been there since probably the 70's. They just closed two of these three stores. guess which store is still open?

The one with the lowest paid staff? The one that got a 99-year lease in the 70's?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dick Fagballzson posted:

But their tires are extremely overpriced compared to Costco. Same set of Michelins I got at Sears for $800 a few years ago was $500 at Costco when I replaced them recently. Costco usually has them buy 3 get one free, or $70-100 off, which is hard to beat. Also cheap on the install and disposal.

Yes but if you have a flat and didn't buy your tires at Costco then Sears is probably the only one around who is open to patch it. And that summarizes the last time I've been at a Sears in the past 10 years

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dick Fagballzson posted:

But their tires are extremely overpriced compared to Costco. Same set of Michelins I got at Sears for $800 a few years ago was $500 at Costco when I replaced them recently. Costco usually has them buy 3 get one free, or $70-100 off, which is hard to beat. Also cheap on the install and disposal.

This is a good tip. My dad likes Discount Tire for some reason, though, I think he was looking for a specific tread.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Are you 110% sure they are the same tire?

Some of the larger buyers of all items, it being anything from poo poo tickets to computers get their own special poo poo made.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The one that got a 99-year lease in the 70's?

Yep! they shut down two nice stores and leave the smallest one with the shittiest selection open

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
buying tires is like buying a mattress

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Cracked_Gear posted:

Yep! they shut down two nice stores and leave the smallest one with the shittiest selection open

But now that they've cut the costs of the other two staffs and consolidated their customer base to one store, they can afford to upgrade it to a beautiful, new Super ahahaha j/k. It's going to rot for another decade.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cracked_Gear posted:

Yeah, paying $45,000 x 2 a month or $1,000 a month for lease is a hard choice.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cowman posted:

I put in an actually good idea and I'm probably not going to win because they claim they're already trying it out. To submit your idea you have to use this social networking thing called Pebble that you can only access while on the clock at work. It's also terribly structured and absolutely ridiculous to try to navigate if you're not on a tablet. They had an idea to speed up the checkout process by giving everyone iPads and letting the employees run around with the iPad and check people out. I'm not entirely sure how that would work but they never did it. The registers also run on an old version of Unix and they're trying to make us utilize the touch screens but it just makes things slower and more of a pain in the rear end.

"Yes"
Not in the slightest :rip:

lol to save money let's buy thousands of ipads for no good reason

businesses are just run smarter than governments :byodood:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Korthal posted:

Before being purchased by Sears, K-Mart's HQ was in Detroit. :eng101:

It kinda says something.

Not really. It was in the suburbs, across the street from a Neiman Marcus and a few miles from a famous country club that hosts stuff like the US Open.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Korthal posted:

Before being purchased by Sears, K-Mart's HQ was in Detroit. :eng101:

It kinda says something.

Kmart bought Sears

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tezzor posted:

lol to save money let's buy thousands of ipads for no good reason

businesses are just run smarter than governments :byodood:

Depends on whether they were looking at replacing their 20 year old unix terminals anyway. Getting last years ipad wouldnt be so bad in that case compared to the alternative.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

say what you will about sears but craftsman is pretty bang for the buck handtools

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blue Raider posted:

say what you will about sears but craftsman is pretty bang for the buck handtools

or was, until they made them all in China and got rid of the warranty because they are now unreliable pieces of poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ryoshi posted:

or was, until they made them all in China and got rid of the warranty because they are now unreliable pieces of poo poo

I bought a rotary edger that warped trying to cut through some thickish sod. I took it back and got a replacement on it. The new one did it again after like the third lawn job.

Need to get Bob Vila back to fix their poo poo

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah but people feel rude or thoughtless for giving cash and instead want the appearance that they put effort into the gift while standing in the checkout line waiting to pay for gas or groceries. It's the only reason why the gift card industry got off the ground.

That and my mom not wanting me to buy alcohol when she sent me money when I was in college

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fetus Tree posted:

Also nicki minaj owns

I can appreciate her rise in hip-hop. (Except crap like "Starships" and "Stupid Ho". Come on.)

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Somebody said K-Mart pays employees if they provide a way to save money. My idea is to cut all electricity to the store and fire all the staff. Customers can use a flashlight to see where they are going and a K-Mart app on their phone to scan and pay for items. All items are in a giant pile so customers may need to dig through it for hours, increasing the amount of impulse buys and rope to drag them out when the pile falls on them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

This explains so many things on why any replacements have been giving me trouble. I didn't even know this.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
KMart had a warehouse in my hometown. About 20 years ago the warehouse thought it would be a good idea to hire undercover investigators, have them pose as employees, become friends with the workers, and to give management detailed reports about the workers family lives, family issues, sex lives, and any/all statements they made about their bosses.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yaos posted:

Somebody said K-Mart pays employees if they provide a way to save money. My idea is to cut all electricity to the store and fire all the staff. Customers can use a flashlight to see where they are going and a K-Mart app on their phone to scan and pay for items. All items are in a giant pile so customers may need to dig through it for hours, increasing the amount of impulse buys and rope to drag them out when the pile falls on them.

bonus incentive: looting items off of the corpses that are buried in the pile. You never know what you'll find!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah, I think I found this out in the last Kmart thread, and I definitely won't be buying Craftsman anymore. I think they do have a Pro series or something that still is made in the US, but I'll still be going with someone else next time I need something. I can't justify spending Snap-On money, but there are a few decent US manufacturers at a more affordable price point.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Emanuel Collective posted:

KMart had a warehouse in my hometown. About 20 years ago the warehouse thought it would be a good idea to hire undercover investigators, have them pose as employees, become friends with the workers, and to give management detailed reports about the workers family lives, family issues, sex lives, and any/all statements they made about their bosses.

You left out the part in which they had a drug ring and where stealing everything not nailed down or on fire there.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

InterceptorV8 posted:

You left out the part in which they had a drug ring and where stealing everything not nailed down or on fire there.

ok sorry

Johnson v. KMart posted:

The Posegos submitted handwritten reports to CIC by mail every few days. These reports were then forwarded to defendant. The Posegos wrote the reports from memory based on the events they observed and conversations they participated in or overheard. The reports contained information including, but not limited to: (1) employee family matters (i.e., the criminal conduct of employees' children, incidents of domestic violence and impending divorces); (2) romantic interests/sex lives (i.e., sexual conduct of employees in terms of number/gender of sexual partners); (3) future employment plans (i.e., which employees were looking for new jobs and which employees were planning to quit without giving notice); (4) complaints about defendant (i.e., the quality of the company and employee's view that defendant was "screwing people up"); and (5) personal matters and private concerns (i.e., employee's prostate problems, paternity of employee's child, characterization of certain employees as alcoholics because they drank "frequently").

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

And.....?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

I too don't understand why its bad for my bosses to be spying on my personal life

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Emanuel Collective posted:

I too don't understand why its bad for my bosses to be spying on my personal life

I too don't understand how to be an adult and not take home strangers from work.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

InterceptorV8 posted:

I too don't understand how to be an adult and not take home strangers from work.

those are called "friends"

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Three-Phase posted:

I can appreciate her rise in hip-hop. (Except crap like "Starships" and "Stupid Ho". Come on.)

Granted I really haven't sought out her music, but the two songs they play on the commercial radio here sound like country-pop to me.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tezzor posted:

those are called "friends"

Figures you'd be sad enough to get your "friends" from Kmart.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, who is the next major retailer that will sink? K-Mart/Sears? J.C. Penneys?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

You Are A Elf posted:

Even the escalators were depressing. I don't know how that's possible, but they were depresscalators.

This would make a great name for a parody goth band

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

buttcrackmenace posted:

e: snype

Apparently Tide is used as a form of currency in some areas

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-tide-black-market-2013-1?IR=T

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, I think I found this out in the last Kmart thread, and I definitely won't be buying Craftsman anymore. I think they do have a Pro series or something that still is made in the US, but I'll still be going with someone else next time I need something. I can't justify spending Snap-On money, but there are a few decent US manufacturers at a more affordable price point.

Which is weird because I think the Chinese Craftsman ratchets are miles above the last few years of the American-made ones. You wanna talk about sloppy action and slippage resulting in bloody knuckles? Those were the last few years of the American-made Craftsman ratchets. The new Chinese ratchets are pretty tits and seem to have better QC then when Danaher was making them. At least the ratchets are better; I can't speak for the rest of the tool line.

That still doesn't give me incentive to go out and buy a new ratchet since I've got enough already. When I think of Craftsman, I've got the old fart mentality of "good American-made tools at a reasonable price with an awesome warranty," not "Chinese-made tools of questionable quality at high prices with a warranty you may or may not get depending on who's manning the register and how much of a dick they are."

They've got to be at least better than Harbor Freight tools. You just look at those things funny and they break.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

You Are A Elf posted:

Which is weird because I think the Chinese Craftsman ratchets are miles above the last few years of the American-made ones. You wanna talk about sloppy action and slippage resulting in bloody knuckles? Those were the last few years of the American-made Craftsman ratchets. The new Chinese ratchets are pretty tits and seem to have better QC then when Danaher was making them. At least the ratchets are better; I can't speak for the rest of the tool line.

That still doesn't give me incentive to go out and buy a new ratchet since I've got enough already. When I think of Craftsman, I've got the old fart mentality of "good American-made tools at a reasonable price with an awesome warranty," not "Chinese-made tools of questionable quality at high prices with a warranty you may or may not get depending on who's manning the register and how much of a dick they are."

They've got to be at least better than Harbor Freight tools. You just look at those things funny and they break.

Yeah but it's cool because every week you can get a new Harbor Freight coupon for a mini led flashlight and janky toolset.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

haljordan posted:

Yeah but it's cool because every week you can get a new Harbor Freight coupon for a mini led flashlight and janky toolset.

9 LED ALL ALUMINUM SUPER BRIGHT FLASHLIGHT! TAKES ONE AAA BATTERY!! ONLY $1.99!!!

*9 leds that put out 3 lumens of light and works once, then dies*

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You know what I always found scummy about Craftsman, though? Those mechanic tool sets that come out every holiday season. 600 PIECE BLACK FRIDAY MECHANIC'S TOOL SET HOLY gently caress!!

Where 580 of those "tools" are allen and torx keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

idk what it is about led flashlights but ive never had one that didnt kick rear end

• Locked thread