Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

darealkooky posted:

idk how anyone can say the first half of gunbuster is better than diebuster when they're basically the exact same thing (girl who sucks at life never gives up on trying to stop sucking, meanwhile people who don't suck fight stuff while in giant robots)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhGz6eKow8

*drops mic*

I got myself into a Black Lagoon binge (attempting to stop myself from watching Diebuster too soon, hah) so didn't end up starting the Simulwatch til this evening. Up to ep two, will save my opinions for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

gunbuster episodes 1-3 are really bad

there's all sorts of cool characters, sci-fi stuff and concepts that have to be pushed to the side because noriko is the main character even though she's trash garbage

it's nothing but "I'm going to train harder so I don't suck so bad" "Oh no, even after all my training I still suck really bad" and "I have a crush on senpai get it it's like that tennis anime" over and over and over broken up by the odd cheesecake scene or fleeting reference to a way cooler idea than noriko doing pushups in a robot

like 4-6 are an inverse of how poo poo 1-3 are and are insanely good but idk how anyone can say the first half of gunbuster is better than diebuster when they're basically the exact same thing (girl who sucks at life never gives up on trying to stop sucking, meanwhile people who don't suck fight stuff while in giant robots) only diebuster has better animation, a main character who doesn't bitch the entire time, and way more engaging action scenes

The scene where Noriko comes face to face with the time and space her father died was interesting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But that poster undoubtedly complains that Shinji is a bitch so I shan't be feeding the trolls.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

In Training posted:

The scene where Noriko comes face to face with the time and space her father died was interesting.

Besides this I also really liked the duel between Katsumi and Jung.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

In Training posted:

That was probably one of the strongest scenes in the entire show, I think. Everything from the early portion of the show seemed to climax in that one scene.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It did a good job at illustrating the possibilities of time travel in Gunbuster. There was literally a chance her dad was there, alive and had only been traveling through time/space for 2 days. I think that was the moment that hooked me with the series more so than anything.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

But that poster undoubtedly complains that Shinji is a bitch so I shan't be feeding the trolls.

shinji is insanely badass

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

like I said there's some really cool ideas in the first three episodes

I wish they got more focus and there was less scenes of noriko jogging

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe it's time for a new Buster.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Bigbuster :greencube:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ghostbuster.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gutbuster

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Dustbuster.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Brainbuster

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Bustbuster

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Aim for the face. Nutbuster.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is honestly the most likely title to be produced by Gainax.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i did it, i caught up.

the end of episode 4 is so cool. I wasn't crazy about episode 3, but instead of talking about that, i'd rather talk about how good episode 4 was. because it was good.

now to watch some utena before bed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Goldmine just this post

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My plan of staying up tonight and watching the last two episodes at the appropriate time probably isn't going to happen, in short

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I'm on GMT, so just finished up.

I remembered that I enjoyed Diebuster more when it referenced Gunbuster, what I'd forgotten was that it steadily works towards synchronisation with Gunbuster in almost every way. Music, scale, emotion and eventually characters.

It's a lovely tribute to the original, while managing to be its own thing.

Edit: I now want Aim for the Top! 3.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 31, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CuLT posted:

I'm on GMT, so just finished up.

That's not how it works. If the OP had just said 8PM, then sure you would watch it beofre us. but it said

Srice posted:

8PM EST.

The inclusion of the timezone there means you're supposed to adjust the time, based on your timezone, so that we all watch the same thing Simultaneously. Hence, "simulatch"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8PM GMT was four hours ago though, obviously he was just watching it now rather than 1am.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

8PM GMT was four hours ago though, obviously he was just watching it now rather than 1am.

Yeah, I got stuff to do at 1am these days (like sleep).

boom boom boom posted:

That's not how it works

If my schedule does not meet your criteria for simulwatches, feel free to ignore my posts. I'm here to talk about a cartoon that's fresh in the minds of a few other people, that's all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can't fault anyone for watching it early because they don't live in the Americas. I'm not a stickler for the exact time, just watching it on the same day is good too! Diebuster is good but loving up your sleeping schedule, is not.

I hope everyone is hyped for the finale.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i can't start for another half hour

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished it. gunbuster was better but i liked it well enough

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*clears throat*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She hit it with Jupiter.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

i finished it. gunbuster was better but i liked it well enough

Yeah. It was really good. I do wish that the ending hadn't been, "and then the ending of Gunbuster happened"

Because I already saw the ending to Gunbuster. It was really great and amazing, but it was the ending to Gunbuster. This is Diebuster, it needs a different ending.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah. It was really good. I do wish that the ending hadn't been, "and then the ending of Gunbuster happened"

Because I already saw the ending to Gunbuster. It was really great and amazing, but it was the ending to Gunbuster. This is Diebuster, it needs a different ending.

I agree but that ending put the biggest smile on my face because I love gunbuster so much. It's too bad that Nono didn't get to meet Noriko though. :smith:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

It tied together all the loose ends and the Diebuster version of the ending is even stronger if you've seen Gunbuster. Save for Nono maybe coming back (:smith:) there's not a thing I'd want different. It's absolutely perfect.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

And Nono coming back would honestly make it weaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Nono sharing her impossible dream with Lal'c beyond the bounds of time is the ending.

• Locked thread