Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

mycot posted:

Really once people start using logical fallacy terms that's when threads go to poo poo.

Fallacy Fallacy. Fallaciously calling upon a fallacy.

Get real mate. Fair enough the derail is unnecessary and not worth having here, but 'false equivalency' is just the educated term for 'not the same thing, even though you're claiming it is' and not at all the internet debating nonsense terminology you're hinting at.

Back on topic, it's a shame 24 disappeared up its own arse. Was the 'reboot' series any good?

The End fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The last season of 24 was the best season of the show period.

Fifthfiend
Mar 24, 2014
Daily reminder that Supernatural is still on the air for some reason

If someone has already mentioned Supernatural: go gently caress yourself in the ear

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's gonna be hilarious to see South Park outlive the Simpsons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heroes. And I'm not talking about season 2 onwards. It should have been canceled in season 1. Everybody on that show was like the most annoying person ever. Except for Ando. He was awesome.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The End posted:

Get real mate. Fair enough the derail is unnecessary and not worth having here, but 'false equivalency' is just the educated term for 'not the same thing, even though you're claiming it is' and not at all the internet debating nonsense terminology you're hinting at.

Back on topic, it's a shame 24 disappeared up its own arse. Was the 'reboot' series any good?

I like using "moving the goalposts" myself but I'm just being entirely honest from observation when that's always the point when internet arguments go to seed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

It's gonna be hilarious to see Family Guy outlive the Simpsons.

Fixed

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

computer parts posted:

It's gonna be hilarious to see South Park outlive the Simpsons.

I figure the Simpsons will get a 30th season if only to have the most episodes for an American prime time scripted show. Gunsmoke is currently the leader with 635 episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

The last season of 24 was the best season of the show period.
I would take Season 5 as the best, but the new season was up there in the top 3 for sure

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

SNL has this tendency of every few years when you've just sort of forgotten about it a new performer or two will show up and the media will declare, "SNL IS BACK with the BEST CAST SINCE THE FIRST SEASON" I'll then tune and and find myself just going, "Oh, this is worse than ever!"

Ummmmm.... Did you guys miss the seasons with Tina fey and Amy Poehler? Then Kristin Wiig came in and made me forget about both of them? I haven't had TV in years, but I'd be shocked if the show is currently awful, and if it is, it'll surely get better again.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Sadly, the one true legacy of P&R is that it made everybody forget how bad Amy Poehler was on SNL.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Speaking of SNL and one example of a show that was canceled way sooner than it should have been: Fridays. They only had 2 seasons back in the early 80s. Michael Richards was on it as well as Larry David. Man on the Moon with Jim Carrey showed the time Andy Kaufman and Michael Richards got very hostile with each other on live TV... and then Jack Burns almost kicked his rear end. I just saw it for the first time recently (it's on Amazon Prime Video I think?) That show was awesome.

Hell, In Living Color was another, but the people who made that show great were getting too famous so ending it only made sense.

Watch Fridays if you haven't.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Shadow posted:

Speaking of SNL and one example of a show that was canceled way sooner than it should have been: Fridays. They only had 2 seasons back in the early 80s. Michael Richards was on it as well as Larry David. Man on the Moon with Jim Carrey showed the time Andy Kaufman and Michael Richards got very hostile with each other on live TV... and then Jack Burns almost kicked his rear end. I just saw it for the first time recently (it's on Amazon Prime Video I think?) That show was awesome.

Hell, In Living Color was another, but the people who made that show great were getting too famous so ending it only made sense.

Watch Fridays if you haven't.

I loved that show! I can still remember REO Speedwagon being introduced as 'REO Speedway'. Yes, watch it if you haven't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shadow posted:

By the time In Living Color went off the air, the Wayanses had all been long gone. I think the cast was mostly white people at that point too.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Prison Break was/is a never-dying zombie show. They break out of prison in the 21st episode. It continues to air for another 3 seasons for 81 episodes total. Don't worry though, the name still works because characters keep getting locked in prison and need to be broken out. And now, despite the fact that nobody wants it, it's going to get rebooted! Even after they killed one of the main characters in the series finale (spoilers!). Luckily, the show brought so many dead characters back to life during its original run, it would be more surprising if the guy was actually dead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Prison Break would have been a great one-season show. Just get rid of the silly conspiracy plot and end it with them escaping and it would have been fine.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Prison Break would have been a great one-season show. Just get rid of the silly conspiracy plot and end it with them escaping and it would have been fine.

*homeland

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Phylodox posted:

Or if they had toned down the sill conspiracy plot in the second season and ended everything in a cohesive manner then. There was no need for that show to go 4 seasons and a stupid made for TV movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

By the time In Living Color went off the air, the Wayanses had all been long gone. I think the cast was mostly white people at that point too.

It had also gotten pretty unfunny from what I recall. Not Mad TV levels of unfunny, but still.

Speaking of which, MadTV should have been cancelled... probably after one season. I don't even remember if it was ever funny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Irish Joe posted:

Sadly, the one true legacy of P&R is that it made everybody forget how bad Amy Poehler was on SNL.

SNL is like minor league baseball, it's never good or entertaining on its own merits, the value is in evalutating the players and trying to see who could be funny at some point in the future.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I assume you mean "post-90s SNL" because Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Jim Belushi, Eddie Murphy, Chris Farley, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, etc etc

One could even argue that SNL was the only time Dana Carvey was funny

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

It's been years since I've seen any Real World but reality in general is something that can basically run forever since it's pretty cheap on the whole thing is pretty much just a concept that you can plug different people in with little problems, unless it revolves around a given host or cast of people or something.

Like, Survivor's something that can possibly still be going on after we all die. If the ratings don't dip sharply then there's literally hundreds of thousands of islands and remote locations you can go launch a bunch of people onto with cameras and run games of coconut chess or whatever to decide who wins. I just hope I'm still alive when Survivor: High Earth Orbit and Survivor: Deep Sea Lab both air. Skip Survivor: Low Earth Orbit, it's not as good as High Earth Orbit was.

This is old but to piggyback off the concept: Road Rules was on for 14 seasons, but the Real World/Road Rules Challenge has been on (with various name changes) for 25 seasons. Even after RR was canceled, they had players on 'Team Road Rules' who had never been on the actual show. Also :aaa: that Real World is on its 30th season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sheriff posted:

Prison Break was/is a never-dying zombie show. They break out of prison in the 21st episode. It continues to air for another 3 seasons for 81 episodes total. Don't worry though, the name still works because characters keep getting locked in prison and need to be broken out. And now, despite the fact that nobody wants it, it's going to get rebooted! Even after they killed one of the main characters in the series finale (spoilers!). Luckily, the show brought so many dead characters back to life during its original run, it would be more surprising if the guy was actually dead.

Prison Break had a goofy moment partway through the first season where they had gotten to where they had already finished filming and would originally be the season finale. Except they got good ratings and Fox ordered more episodes, so even though they were actually escaping they had to stop and go back to prison. The weather had also completely changed so outside shots no longer matched up.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Prison Break season 4 is definitely the most egregious example of a show stretching out long after its original premise expires that i've seen. It involved nobody breaking out of any kind of prison, kept the original cast together, including the guard, for a ludicrous nonsensical reason, and made very little sense even on its own merits.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Phylodox posted:

Uh-oh.

As long as T-Bag comes back, I'm in.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Uh-oh.

As long as T-Bag comes back, I'm in.

Seriously. I watched Prison Break mostly for T-Bag's antics. Also Peter Stormare's character was great, too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm echoing whoever said 'any live Adult Swim show'. Stayed in a hotel recently that got the channel and it was the most 'lol so random!' garbage. Black Jesus is hilarious though. Everybody watch Black Jesus.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

It had also gotten pretty unfunny from what I recall. Not Mad TV levels of unfunny, but still.

Speaking of which, MadTV should have been cancelled... probably after one season. I don't even remember if it was ever funny.

Mad TV was solid for at least the first two seasons. Then the funny cast members all left and you were left with the characters that didn't leave because they weren't funny enough for anywhere else.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm echoing whoever said 'any live Adult Swim show'. Stayed in a hotel recently that got the channel and it was the most 'lol so random!' garbage. Black Jesus is hilarious though. Everybody watch Black Jesus.

Have you seen Childrens Hospital? I'm not a fan of the wacky/random Adult Swim style of humor, but I love that ridiculous little show and everyone on it. Most of them have built up a lifetime of goodwill with me, and sometimes it's amazingly clever and ambitious for what they accomplish in 12-minute episodes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

LadyPictureShow posted:

Love Black Jesus. Especially to see Charlie Murphy being a dick.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have you seen Childrens Hospital? I'm not a fan of the wacky/random Adult Swim style of humor, but I love that ridiculous little show and everyone on it. Most of them have built up a lifetime of goodwill with me, and sometimes it's amazingly clever and ambitious for what they accomplish in 12-minute episodes.

Also its spiritual cousin NTSF:SD:SUV. I want more of that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Children's Hospital is loving great and I will fight anyone who says different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

red19fire posted:

Real World is on its 30th season.

When the fresh Hell did they do more than one season per year?!

I think the last season I watched any of was the sixth? It was the one that had a poetry slam guy on it, and I pretty much only watched it cause he was a friend of mine.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

precision posted:

I think the last season I watched any of was the sixth? It was the one that had a poetry slam guy on it, and I pretty much only watched it cause he was a friend of mine.

Probably multiple cities in a single count as different seasons?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

I think they started doing two-a-years around the 10th season or so.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Snowman_McK posted:

Children's Hospital is loving great and I will fight anyone who says different.

Let's go.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Let's go.

Put 'em up.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
stop it goonicide is a sin :(

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phylodox posted:

Similarly, The Pretender. The episodic bits were cool, Jarod pretends to be a <profession> in order to expose <injustice>, and also discovers <pop culture>, all while being hunted by the institute he escaped from. The overarching conspiracy was also acceptable, with everybody coming to terms with the fact that everybody else has been lying to them, and some flashbacks suggesting that Jarod was the mind behind certain pivotal events. Unfortunately, at some point the conspiracy climbed up its own rear end and became a Goddamn soap-opera of nothing anybody knew being at all true and everybody being related to everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
High concept shows tend to run into that problem where you need to tell a story but it can't end because the show needs to go on indefinitely.

You saw it with Twin Peaks, which didn't know how to not be about a murder investigation, you saw it with Lost where half the show felt like they made it up as they went along.

Even shows that aren't high concept fall into the trap of trying to do too much with their story.

House is a great example of a show where they lost sense of what made the show work. Oddly, the more they tried to deal with how House's actions would play out in reality, the show got tougher to watch and harder to accept.

It worked best when it was happy to be an offbeat drama with heavy comedic elements instead of the melodrama it became.

• Locked thread