Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
It's been a while so don't remember all the details but Confrontation had you making card stacks to determine activation order at the start of the turn in at least some editions, same for AT-43.

i also like what i've seen from dropfleet so far: your fleet is divided into battlegroups, the larger they are the higher their command value. players make a card stack to determine in which order they want their BGs to activate, and then flip over their top card simultaneously. The group with the lower command value activates first, then the one with the higher, then both players flip cards again. It'll be interesting to see how battlegroup splits and compositions work out with that in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Forbidden Stars has a stacking mechanic where you put down tokens that are your orders, and then reveal them round-robin, but if you have no tokens on 'top' when it comes to your turn, you just skip until there is.

In practice it means that 2 other players have to work together or be focused on the same areas of the board as you are to create situations where anyone doubles up, but it's an interesting way to make turn order a regular part of the strategy. Especially since these tokens come from a set of actions, so you can't just do the same thing every time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I played a historical where one player moved their force, the opponent moved theirs, then shots were resolved simultaneously with some initiative rules to allow some units to get shots off before others, then cavalry got a second move, but the second player moved their cavalry first and the first player moved second, then melee was resolved. Then players rolled off again to determine who the first player would be for the next turn.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played a historical where one player moved their force, the opponent moved theirs, then shots were resolved simultaneously with some initiative rules to allow some units to get shots off before others, then cavalry got a second move, but the second player moved their cavalry first and the first player moved second, then melee was resolved. Then players rolled off again to determine who the first player would be for the next turn.

That actually sounds kinda interesting as a system. I'm not too keen on historicals, though.

I liked Battletech's system, even if that game is a bit of a chore to actually play, with all the book-keeping.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

FrostyPox posted:

I liked Battletech's system, even if that game is a bit of a chore to actually play, with all the book-keeping.

Which is why I backed the Kickstarter for the turn-based computer game that's in development. Just hope it turns out alright.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

krushgroove posted:

Which is why I backed the Kickstarter for the turn-based computer game that's in development. Just hope it turns out alright.

:hf:

I'm hoping for Mechcommander all over again.

Though I guess I wasn't looking closely enough because I could swear they were going to do a real time mode?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think that's one of the most confident KSes you could back. Returns was decent (although maybe more a decent tutorial), and then the next two releases were even better. I think they hit all their deadlines, too? Not sure. BattleTech has generally adapted well to computer games as well.

I didn't back because my heart only beats for the clans.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
While we're talking about GW paints drying, I found the texture paints dried out insanely quick compared to any other paint product. The rocky/dirty texture I could get from combining ballast and paint, but the crackle was pretty neat and I've seen some cool stuff done with it and lava basing. No way I'm getting my $6 worth before it kicks the bucket though since each dried out within a month of opening. Are these mixes more delicate or reactive somehow?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I didn't back because my heart only beats for the clans.
:furcry:

I always preferred the Inner Sphere mechs because they have a lot of character and were pretty much all heirlooms held together by baling wire and duct tape. The clan mechs were designed from the start to be easy to model in video games and while some look cool, they lack a lot of the janky charm of the older stuff. Also, the clans are dumb and bad.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Safety Factor posted:

:furcry:

I always preferred the Inner Sphere mechs because they have a lot of character and were pretty much all heirlooms held together by baling wire and duct tape. The clan mechs were designed from the start to be easy to model in video games and while some look cool, they lack a lot of the janky charm of the older stuff. Also, the clans are dumb and bad.

Inner Sphere 4 lyfe, son

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The dumb clan stories, what little I know of them, are worse than the Karen Traviss honor-bound Mandalorian fanfic crap in the Star Wars EU. Only thing is that the Madcat just looks so cool.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

The dumb clan stories, what little I know of them, are worse than the Karen Traviss honor-bound Mandalorian fanfic crap in the Star Wars EU. Only thing is that the Madcat just looks so cool.
The clans are cool as invaders and kinda cool around the time Comstar beats them by exploiting their hubris and the social mechanisms the Clans use to keep from going into open warfare. Everything after the Wolf breaks off or whatever is horrible bad. I imagine people liked the story beat with Comstar so they just keep replicating it while they probably had an edition war or something.

The IS is a bunch of like ww2 era caricatures coupled with the goofy stagnation of 40k so it's kinda eh? and then later defeats the clans via the harnessed power of elite mary sues or something so that's horrible bad too. Then something about wizkids and dark ages of infantry blobs?

But yes i mostly just like the Timberwolf, Mad Dog and other stuff that looked cool in CCG art or in Mechwarrior 2.

edit: an iconic IS design

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

IMO anything after the Clan Invasion is defeated never happened.

Like there's a TRO for 3150 or some poo poo like that? Don't care, I just want my cool 3025-3060ish Inner Sphere and Clan Mechs like from the MechWarrior 2 series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I made some Warhmmaer models this weekedn, I put together a Knight and a Blood Angels Dreadnought.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:allears: Who doesn't love that dumb, little doofus of a mech?

FrostyPox posted:

IMO anything after the Clan Invasion is defeated never happened.
This is pretty much the best route to take, but then you don't get the Hauptmann.

Yeah, that's a cigar laser. :c00lbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

While I was painting earlier today, I saw some local hams playing orcs and goblins vs the new deviant art furry army. The Orc guy kept losing and he kept blaming himself for not using good strategy. :( The models were really well painted too.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

This is pretty much the best route to take, but then you don't get the Hauptmann.

Yeah, that's a cigar laser. :c00lbert:

Exceptions can be made, of course, for super-cool Mechs.

I just remember cracking open a later TRO and seeing poo poo, like... Mech Tasers and Advanced Tactical Missiles and TSEMPs and something called the "Word of Blake". It confused and frightened me and made my inner grognard come out. :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

FrostyPox posted:

Exceptions can be made, of course, for super-cool Mechs.

Battletech stole all their coolest mecha from Dougram

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

boom boom boom posted:

Battletech stole all their coolest mecha from Dougram
Atlas.

:colbert:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tequila Gunner

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Battletech actually introduced me to macross. I had gotten an old TRO 3025 and I brought it to a GW store to work on some mods for my crisis suits when a grognard started talking about the "unseen." Really wish it was macross instead of gundam that became the more popular giant robot show. Transforming jet-robots are just the best. Starscream. :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Every time someone mentions Macross it takes me a moment to realize that it's not the name of a pokemon. Even when the context is already explicitly giant robots.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

FrostyPox posted:

That actually sounds kinda interesting as a system. I'm not too keen on historicals, though.

I think it's a homebrew system, so it's not like it's in wide circulation. It did a good enough job representing chariots strafing infantry before committing to a flanking charge though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Battletech actually introduced me to macross. I had gotten an old TRO 3025 and I brought it to a GW store to work on some mods for my crisis suits when a grognard started talking about the "unseen." Really wish it was macross instead of gundam that became the more popular giant robot show. Transforming jet-robots are just the best. Starscream. :allears:

Macross is still super popular, dude. In fact there's a new Macross series starting this winter, Macross Delta.

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKiLsbWiHY

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Those planes look too future-tech for my tastes. I miss the simple lines of the VF-1.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa that's cool that's both giant transforming robots and all the kawaii desu. :3: Thing is, though, since it was never aired on cartoon network you'll never really talk to anyone about it in the US except for hyper nerds. Meanwhile, I can talk about g gundam (the best series) to anyone and everyone.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Whoa that's cool that's both giant transforming robots and all the kawaii desu. :3: Thing is, though, since it was never aired on cartoon network you'll never really talk to anyone about it in the US except for hyper nerds. Meanwhile, I can talk about g gundam (the best series) to anyone and everyone.

Blame the company that made Robotech, they hosed everything forever.

It's super worth illegally downloading(the only way to get them in America) Macross 7 and Macross Frontier. They're both great, in very different ways.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I made some Warhmmaer models this weekedn, I put together a Knight and a Blood Angels Dreadnought.

Warhammer warhammer warhammer morning musume.

Yep, that seems about right for a GW fan.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Arivia posted:

Warhammer warhammer warhammer morning musume.

Yep, that seems about right for a GW fan.

Monster Musume, not Morning Musume. I don't really care for Morning Musume, And I don't think there was ever a manga series about them anyway.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

This is what you'd get out of a scrunt run forgeworld.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Macross is still super popular, dude. In fact there's a new Macross series starting this winter, Macross Delta.

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKiLsbWiHY

Why are teenaged girls piloting jet planes? Seems kinda dumb.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
agreed, there should be more badass older women

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yes.

All of the characters in the anime pic look entirely out of place.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

Why are teenaged girls piloting jet planes? anime Seems kinda dumb.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AgentF posted:

It's anime. I'm just glad the question isn't "why are teenaged girls jet planes".

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The reason is anime is dumb.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AgentF posted:

Aerodynamic issues. The wind tunnel tests were conclusive.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
I don't know if it's been posted, but the user Helen Highwater made a lot of good posts in the old thread with an inside view of what GW used to be.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603841&userid=208658

Especially this post about the Perry Brothers and the early days of miniatures making. (also the origin of the Green Knight)

Also, I read through some of the Stormcast battlebook-thing and it is boring and nonsensical.

It did have this koolaid-guzzling stardragon hiding in the realm of metal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Vytrix are for vykids!

• Locked thread