Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah, it was a not that fun experience. There's so much good stuff in terms of worldbuilding but the way it's written and/or translated makes it a bit of an ... endeavor to read through.

The book does tie in to the end of Last Light in an interesting way, you should continue reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we catch up with an old friend.

Journal entries for this update:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 3, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The two journal notes are the same as last update's

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SgtSteel91 posted:

The two journal notes are the same as last update's

No idea what you're talking about. :colbert:

Fixed. Thanks!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can you let Pavel die and still get the good ending? Cause I'd be sorely tempted to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Edmond Dantes posted:

Where we catch up with an old friend.

To paraphrase someone from the first game: What the hell was in those bombs?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Aumanor posted:

Can you let Pavel die and still get the good ending? Cause I'd be sorely tempted to.

I guess I thought so too, the first time around; I mean, we're talking about somebody who not only stabbed you in the back, but knowingly aided and abetted a war crime... But even at the time, I thought that being pulled down and held by the souls of the damned forever was a little too much, especially with the Kiddo right there quietly judging my actions. Besides, now Pavel has to live knowing that the man he betrayed- the man he wanted to die at the hand of, as the Kiddo implied- was the bigger man in the end.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Sure, Pavel was a war criminal, a Red, a liar, and kind of a prick but op-pa I'd still go for another drink with him.

I mean I'd bring a sealed bottle of my own but still.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Aumanor posted:

Technically you can, same as Lesnitsky, but I'm pretty sure you can't kill both and get the good ending.

However, I would totally murder Lesnitsky any given day (I didn't because I didn't want to 'bet' on getting the good ending), but I just can't bring myself to kill Pavel:

resurgam40 posted:

I guess I thought so too, the first time around; I mean, we're talking about somebody who not only stabbed you in the back, but knowingly aided and abetted a war crime... But even at the time, I thought that being pulled down and held by the souls of the damned forever was a little too much, especially with the Kiddo right there quietly judging my actions. Besides, now Pavel has to live knowing that the man he betrayed- the man he wanted to die at the hand of, as the Kiddo implied- was the bigger man in the end.

I remembered Pavel being a bit more... hesitant about his orders, to be honest, but during the Korbut flashbacks he just seems so eager to carry a loving virus into Oktyabrskaya. I still believe his sin is following orders blindly, but the only glimpses you get about this are his dialogue during Bolshoi about how he truly believes Communism is the only way of saving the Metro, and the Little One's comment about how he doesn't feel anger coming from him when you're about to skin him, just sadness.
Having said that, I still think leaving him to be quite literally damned forever is a bit too much. (They should give you the option of going back and throwing Lesnitsky into the Soul Pit, I would totally do that).

Skippy Granola posted:

Sure, Pavel was a war criminal, a Red, a liar, and kind of a prick but op-pa I'd still go for another drink with him.

I mean I'd bring a sealed bottle of my own but still.

Seriously. I mean, how can you stay mad at this guy for long?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 3, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As before, this game really shines in its more supernatural parts. The grasping arms of the damned is a common motif, but it really works here. I like that the apocalypse in this game is so severe, that even heaven and hell have been destroyed and the souls have nowhere to go. Even if people eventually start going up to the surface and inhabiting the ruins, Fallout-style, there's no real hope, just an illusion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Who could stay mad at that face?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As before, this game really shines in its more supernatural parts. The grasping arms of the damned is a common motif, but it really works here. I like that the apocalypse in this game is so severe, that even heaven and hell have been destroyed and the souls have nowhere to go. Even if people eventually start going up to the surface and inhabiting the ruins, Fallout-style, there's no real hope, just an illusion.
Funny, Khan literally says in 2033 that the bombs atomized purgatory and now the dead have nowhere to go... Is it really too incredible to believe, all things considered?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's why the weird shadow people are around, right?

Other than Khan's mystical theories and the Little One describing things he probably doesn't fully understand, we never get any omniscient information. The game just goes, "Hey, this is weird. Maybe you should wonder about it."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Not only that, creatures that evolved to survive in the surface like Demons and Watchmen keep getting hosed by the environment (like the Demon just falling dead out of the sky or the scared Watchmen in the trenches). You could trace a parallel to present-day animals dying to 'regular' storms, but even something like the Dark Ones are affected by the Damned Souls, and presumably by some of the other supernatural stuff as well. Yeah, they're sturdier than us humans, even more than Artyom who has a huge advantage over normal Metro folks, but you can see the Little One being grabbed by them a couple times after he saves you, and even him cannot keep you 'anchored' for long when saving Pavel.

poo poo's hosed.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Funny, Khan literally says in 2033 that the bombs atomized purgatory and now the dead have nowhere to go... Is it really too incredible to believe, all things considered?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That's why the weird shadow people are around, right?

Other than Khan's mystical theories and the Little One describing things he probably doesn't fully understand, we never get any omniscient information. The game just goes, "Hey, this is weird. Maybe you should wonder about it."
Yeah, I spliced the audio from Khan's monologue in 2033 during Regina, right after you leave the 'hospital'. I do like some things not having an outright explanation though. To quote The Ancient One; not everything makes sense. Not everything has to.

Samovar posted:

Who could stay mad at that face?
Right?!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the Demon gets struck by lightning? But yeah seriously it's kind of amazing that surface Moscow is as intact as it is, considering the bombs, the 2-3 decades of pure neglect, and the super storms.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we understand the plight of a single mother.

You get an achievement for saving Bear after the fight:

And we got the ahicevement for hoarding 1000 Military Grade Rounds! :toot:

Well, as it was bound to happen, my computer fell to the LP curse and I had to bulldoze/reinstall this morning. I didn't lose any files, but it's gonna take me some time to get everything up and running again, so next week's updates may be delayed a bit. Apologies. :(

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aw, drat, and so close to the end too! Seriously, there are only a couple of missions left after this, as I recall. That sucks; hope it's not too time wasting. (Seriously, I am intimately familiar with having to play this particular game twice, due to the lovely little glitch where you inexplicably become unable to knock out enemies not being ironed out. Bleah.)

But yeah, that there is... a memorable encounter. Especially if you spent all your medkits and have to run to the one corpse that has them, all the while avoiding her charges...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 6, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Aw, drat, and so close to the end too! Seriously, there are only a couple of missions left after this, as I recall. That sucks; hope it's not too time wasting. (Seriously, I am intimately familiar with having to play this particular game twice, due to the lovely little glitch where you inexplicably become unable to knock out enemies not being ironed out. Bleah.)

But yeah, that there is... a memorable encounter. Especially if you spent all your medkits and have to run to the one corpse that has them, all the while avoiding her charges...

Only 2 updates to go! I have all footage recorded already (including some bonus for the last episode; that took a while since I had to replay everything from Depot onwards :v:) so I just need to do the subs and encode, but I'm still reinstalling all software and trying to remember which settings I used for each thing, and downloading stuff and eeeeeeeeegghhhh. I should be good, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case Monday rolls over and the update is nowhere to be seen.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Edmond is wrong, you should never let sleeping demons eat - they guard the key to the Redux safe in that level! After you get the key you have to backtrack a bit to the safe - it is in the room behind the first safe that Edmond showed. That's right, instead of just locking the one safe that was already there, they added a new one.

Bear never used to give me trouble but in my play-along to this lp, it bugged out multiple times. It would fall down, but the watchmen would only swipe at it and sometimes go for me instead. Also, the Watchmen were invulnerable during this time. I think it might have been due to the bear's positioning - both times it fell close to the edge of the boss arena. Didn't help that I had only one medkit and were low on ammo - Ranger Hardcore about halves your max ammo. But still, Bear was nothing like the Red Square arena. The sniper gauntlet almost broke my Survival Ranger Hardcore playthrough and I think I went through several gas masks - as in, they broke completely. I was extremely fragile and had to run at the shotgunners that jump out, and take them out before they could get a shot off. Do yourself a favor and don't play Last Light Redux SRH.

The Dead City safe is fairly close to the start. In one of the first houses you enter, it's hanging from a toilet tank. The safe is as far as you can go upstairs in the same building.

Those are all the safes in Metro Redux! If you open at least ten of them in one game, you unlock the "Master Thief" achievement!

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: First mask replacement - I'm pretty sure you got hit by either a surprise Watchman or by Pavel. Probably the former, though. That's how your mask got damaged.

Also, question - if LDO could disguise himself as a human child, why did he never do so before? Were there plans to have to chase him around the Metro that got scrapped? And if all Dark Ones can do that, why didn't they do it in the last game?

This one little random thing just raises so many questions.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Apep727 posted:

if LDO could disguise himself as a human child, why did he never do so before? Were there plans to have to chase him around the Metro that got scrapped? And if all Dark Ones can do that, why didn't they do it in the last game?
The Dark One is only a child and is learning to understand humans as we go. Remember, he didn't understand clothes until "Crossing" despite being around people a while at that point. I don't think he knew what a child was before Artyom saved him either. Maybe he needs to filter through Artyom to make sense of things? At the same time, he connects with a Reich Soldier in "Pavel" and compels him to sell him to a Hansa merchant. But yeah, it doesn't all make sense. Just go with it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If the Little One doesn't comment on you saving the mother bear, does he comment on you killing her instead?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Also Artyom is the only human TLO can 'read' without having to touch, so he probably started getting a whole lot of information when they started travelling together. He keeps picking up stuff from Artyom's thoughts which he then incorporates, like 'Mother' (and probably child as well) during the first vision flashback in Dead City, 'Storm' in Red Square, and a couple others.

PurpleXVI posted:

If the Little One doesn't comment on you saving the mother bear, does he comment on you killing her instead?

Nope! She just dies and you get a negative karma hit. I have the footage for that, I'm saving it for a bit of a bonus after the last episode's up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You know, there's a lot of fantasy/sci-fi literature where there's a 'cjosen one's or 'last hope's character, but it's almost always to save humanity. I can't thinking any other media whereby the chosen one is another creature.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

You know, there's a lot of fantasy/sci-fi literature where there's a 'cjosen one's or 'last hope's character, but it's almost always to save humanity. I can't thinking any other media whereby the chosen one is another creature.

:colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we learn the truth.

That's the Fuhrer on the left, in case you were curious:

Only one more update to go!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Do they ever give the name for the Fuhrer? Looks like a Kyle to me. Would make sense, anyway - whenever anyone would ask to meet the head honcho, all the Reich guys would say 'See Kyle!'

Sorry.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Do they ever give the name for the Fuhrer? Looks like a Kyle to me. Would make sense, anyway - whenever anyone would ask to meet the head honcho, all the Reich guys would say 'See Kyle!'

Sorry.

No, you've got a point. Totally looks like a Kyle to me, now that I think about it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's kind of a shame that there's so much stuff they put effort into, but that last reveal felt kind of... bland. There's animation for the one or two characters that are acting, but everyone else just stands there, basically stock still. No crowd mutter, no pushing or shoving in the gallery, nothing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

bman in 2288 posted:

No, you've got a point. Totally looks like a Kyle to me, now that I think about it.

Sorry. :v: Not really sorry, you deserve it for that pun. :colbert:

quote:

In Metro 2035, his first name and patronym are revealed to be Евгений Петрович (Yevgyeniy Petrovich), but his surname remains unknown.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's kind of a shame that there's so much stuff they put effort into, but that last reveal felt kind of... bland. There's animation for the one or two characters that are acting, but everyone else just stands there, basically stock still. No crowd mutter, no pushing or shoving in the gallery, nothing.
Yeah, and Moskvin is all "later, shitlords" and just walks out; you'd think at least the Nazis would have a few choice words to say to him.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Hell, I was hoping this was completed. I've been marathoning this while setting up for my next session of Apocalypse world, and I have to say, the music as well as the outdoor sections have been a joy to watch.

I'm surprised Anna is staying behind, though sadly I'm not surprised she's been benched after becoming the love interest. :sigh:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

RedMagus posted:

I'm surprised Anna is staying behind, though sadly I'm not surprised she's been benched after becoming the love interest. :sigh:

Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed. I thought she was built up to be a character that would be all "Hell yeah, let's shoot some commies!"

Are any of the Reich or Red Line types heading for D6? To back up the Rangers?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RedMagus posted:

Hell, I was hoping this was completed. I've been marathoning this while setting up for my next session of Apocalypse world, and I have to say, the music as well as the outdoor sections have been a joy to watch.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :D The game's visual/sound direction is top notch; it can be surprisingly beautiful considering the subject matter. It has got some great moments with the music soaring in, like during Sundown as the sun sets.

Also, you won't have to wait long, the final update (and a small bonus video!) are going up on Friday!

RedMagus posted:

LashLightning posted:

Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed. I thought she was built up to be a character that would be all "Hell yeah, let's shoot some commies!"
Not only that, she's (in Miller's own words) The Order's best sniper. Unfortunately she catches the worst virus during Contagion: she contracts Love Interest Syndrome. :smith:

LashLightning posted:

Are any of the Reich or Red Line types heading for D6? To back up the Rangers?
Small spoiler for last episode:
Nope. Just the Rangers and their gigantic brass balls.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
e: nvm, asked and answered earlier

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Final update time! :siren:

Where we reach the end of the line.

I recommend you stick around for the credits, the music is fantastic.

Journal entries for this update: (which you should really read).

We got all notes:

And the good ending! :toot:

And in case you were curious, here's the 'C'est la vie' ending: (with a bit of a bonus at the beginning, so you may want to check it even if you've already seen it).

Aaaaaaaaand that's a game! Thank you all for watching, I really hope you enjoyed the LP. :D

So, what now?
I got Redux during the Winter Sale, so I now have access to all DLC and I'm considering making videos for it. Having said that, I'm gonna be taking a bit a of a break first and I'd like to hear from y'all before I start.

And now, a bit of a favour: This was my first LP. I learned a lot making it and while I like to think it wasn't a complete disaster I'm pretty sure there's room for improvement. I got a bit of feedback along the way, but the thread was mostly quiet in between updates other than a bit of discussion here and there when we hit certain milestones or a particular theme, so it would really help me if you could take a couple minutes and tell me your thoughts about the LP. What did you like? What didn't you like? Did I 'speak' too much? Too little? Did I nail the commentary style/tone, or was I too flippant/too serious?
Any and all comments would be appreciated, even if it's just stating your personal preference regarding some aspect of the LP. Just, you know, don't be a dick about it. :v:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Well, I haven't watched all the videos yet, but in general I think you did a really good job. I still stand by my comments in the start of the thread, that you maintain a great balance between commentary and letting the game speak for itself, and I also think you struck a good balance when it comes to the tone of your commentary. My one complaint comes down to personal preference: Sometimes I feel you cut the videos a bit too short, by adhering too strictly to the beginning and end of a level. No particular level springs to mind, I'm afraid, but this was mostly during the first third or so of the LP. But I see, and understand, the stylistic choice behind doing it like that, and it does work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I thought you did a great job! You showed off the game really well, and the commentary was a good mix of fun and informative. I look forward to your next LP, if you plan on doing one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

And in case you were curious, here's the 'C'est la vie' ending: (with a bit of a bonus at the beginning, so you may want to check it even if you've already seen it).

That's a neat bit of editing at the start there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

This LP was great; you covered everything that needed covering and the subtitles allowed the atmosphere to be maintained throughout. I too will be looking forward to your next project.

As to the game itself... I do kinda have mixed feelings regarding this ending. On the one hand, I feel the same way that other poster does about this game being a bit too "Hollywood"y in comparison to the first, because of the reveal that the Dark Ones aren't all dead and some are in a vault. I mean, it's fine that we get some motivation for the Kiddo helping us beyond his link to Artyom, but... the struggle of the LDO having to deal with being the last Dark One and Artyom trying to deal with the fact that he committed literal genocide was providing some interesting character delelopment, and the reveal of something that retcons both of their struggles away... seems a bit too pat, too easy for this setting, where the struggles of man against a possibly inevitable end have been so well built up by everything else. On the other hand... if you don't get the brownie points, you just get C'est La Vie; it can't even be called a Bad Ending because it requires not a lot of effort to get to (in fact, if you look at the Steam stats, more people have gotten that ending then Redemption, presumably because they all rushed through the levels, and shanked Pavel and Lesnitsky when they got the chance). And goddamn, is that ending bleak; everyone blows up, and we're all going to die. Whereas the Redemption ending, in which the Little One comes back with the cavalry to save Artyom from blowing D6 up, provides at least a measure of hope for the future, someone out there in the world that doesn't want to kill us and might even be willing to work with us to reclaim what we can of the shattered world. It's a small scrap of hope (I mean, they still might all be eaten by nosalises before that happens), but presented by the game, it feels a lot more like an actual reward for exploring and reigning in your darker impulses, in a way that not a lot of other games have pulled off. It usually feels like an either/or prospect than a reward, and often it's a lot easier to be good than bad... not that being good was too terribly hard, especially toward the end.

So... I dunno what I think. But I liked it, thought it was quite satisfying.

• Locked thread