Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Because specific things have specific places. Bonus points for being able to, at a glance, see how much space a specific sort of data takes up on a hard drive, so I can see if one sort of data would (or would not) fit on a reasonably-priced SSD.

It sounds like OCD is the biggest hurdle to getting an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
E; nah, not worth getting baited over this, especially since it's a derail.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 22, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Xae posted:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
You're refusing to spend a relatively small amount of money for literally the single biggest improvement to your PC's performance you can buy for reasons that make no sense to anyone else. You aren't the one being trolled- it must be the rest of us because it's hard to believe you can be so willfully dense.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

It's pretty much this.

MisterBibs posted:

Because specific things have specific places. Bonus points for being able to, at a glance, see how much space a specific sort of data (say, games) takes up on a hard drive, so I can see if that one sort of data would/wouldn't fit on a reasonably-priced SSD.

After all, how dumb would I feel if I bought an SSD specifically for games and I could only fit half of them on there at once?

So you can instead bitch about load times :thumbsup: These specific places for specific things are made up inside your own head and on a whim you can change where they go. I can tell you with 100% certainty that your HDDs or SSDs won't care.

We're not trolling you here dude. We're trying to help you get a MASSIVE increase in performance for not a whole lot of money. You honestly need to re-evaluate the reasons why you think it's important for your data to align to storage locations.

That's it from me on the derail. So can anyone comment if they actually fixed the things they said they fixed in that hotfix?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Can't believe how well this topic relates to me right now. Drunk purchased an SSD online years ago for my PC and fired up my laptop for the first time in ages tonight to play this.
Realised quickly how badly I needed those quick load times. I can't survive without it.

Mine is 1tb so I can fit a retarded amount of games on it but I try to prioritise everything I play often, keep most of it free and chuck all the singleplayer games and small time crap I don't need on my other drive.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

That's it from me on the derail. So can anyone comment if they actually fixed the things they said they fixed in that hotfix?
I'm getting better performance, but now I've got a repeating crash in Mission 5 during the 200 Tyranid swarm. Right at ~110 left when a mini-boss spawns an audio bug causes the game to take a poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Steam handles multiple drives easily. You just add another path for installs and when you go to install a game there will be a drop down letting you select which folder you want to install too. It's really simple and will improve your game play experience for a lot of games. The only extra work you have to do is decide which games at any given time you want on SSD and which games don't require lots of large loads and can stay on your HDD.

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I use Link Shell Extensions to make symbolic links easily between drives so I don't have to mess with Steam (or the CMD line) if I just want to move a game, and then I use WinDirStat to quickly see which old games I'm not playing anymore might be taking up space on the SSD.

Games still go to their 'specific places', but now the ones which need to load faster can be on the faster drive!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Baiard posted:

I use Link Shell Extensions to make symbolic links easily between drives so I don't have to mess with Steam (or the CMD line) if I just want to move a game, and then I use WinDirStat to quickly see which old games I'm not playing anymore might be taking up space on the SSD.

Games still go to their 'specific places', but now the ones which need to load faster can be on the faster drive!

This can be done without effort with Steam Mover. I've been using it for years now for my tiny SSD and larger HDs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Space Hulk: Deathwing - In the grim, dark future there are only SSDs.

Xae posted:

I'm getting better performance, but now I've got a repeating crash in Mission 5 during the 200 Tyranid swarm. Right at ~110 left when a mini-boss spawns an audio bug causes the game to take a poo poo.

What kind of soundcard are you running? I've heard anything running off USB might be problematic in the game.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Space Hulk: Deathwing - In the grim, dark future there are only SSDs.

What kind of soundcard are you running? I've heard anything running off USB might be problematic in the game.

Whatever crap RealTek was shoveling into Motherboards for 10 cents a chip for 2014.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MisterBibs posted:

Because specific things have specific places. Bonus points for being able to, at a glance, see how much space a specific sort of data (say, games) takes up on a hard drive, so I can see if that one sort of data would/wouldn't fit on a reasonably-priced SSD.

After all, how dumb would I feel if I bought an SSD specifically for games and I could only fit half of them on there at once?

:eyepop:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Space Hulk Deathwing: Who got SSDs into my Terminator armor?
Space Hulk Deathwing: These SSDs can't contain all the heresy I'm purging

SSD: Space Sulk: Deathwing

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 22, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Space Hulk: Deathwing: Genestealers Can Only Live On /space/hulk

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Space Hulk: Deathwing: In the grim darkness of the far future there are only properly organized hard drives.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bibs Hulk: DeathSD

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Oh hey it looks like they fixed the autosaves in between major objectives actually working, sweet.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo this game is so intense haha shooting a wall of flame and thinking your set then watching a stealer jump over your flame. Its so annoying that the apothecary can't carry any other ranged weapons though.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there any word on a patch for this game. It looks really fun and I have a good PC but half the posts in this thread are people with 970s and other specs similar to mine saying they have really bad performance issues :negative:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Most games you dont really need to put on SSD, just put stuff that loads really slow on there or games that you play all the time.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That is the solution for normal people. Normal people don't have 800gb of games installed.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

M-My powerlevel...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lunethex posted:

SSD: Space Sulk: Deathwing

:eyepop:

Brasseye posted:

Is there any word on a patch for this game. It looks really fun and I have a good PC but half the posts in this thread are people with 970s and other specs similar to mine saying they have really bad performance issues :negative:

They just patched again with some crash fixes and performance updates. Steam has a great refund policy so you could buy the game, try it out and refund if it runs like rear end.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That is the solution for normal people. Normal people don't have 800gb of games installed.

I have well over a terabyte, probably over two, but I have no problems moving them around to make room on my ssd.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Reminder that MisterBibs didn't like XCOM 2 because in his head XCOM won the first (Because he beat the first one) and having XCOM lose as canon in 2 made it just totally unacceptable.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think this is a proper Space Hulk experience without everybody but one Termie dying and the last guy barely finishing the mission as the blips close in.
I did play it for a bit but it ran like buttered poo poo on my system, so I had to return it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I finished the single player with my squad dead and myself a single hit from death with enemies on all sides. Was pretty sweet

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How long does Steam give you to refund? I bought the game but haven't played it yet due to all the reports of bad performance so I have been waiting for some patches.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

How long does Steam give you to refund? I bought the game but haven't played it yet due to all the reports of bad performance so I have been waiting for some patches.

2 hours of play time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't chance it, 1 of those hours will be spent loading the main menu

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Digirat posted:

Don't chance it, 1 of those hours will be spent loading the main menu

Only if you're A Poor or your 'tism prevents you from having a SSD, like The God Emperor intended.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My brand of 'tism has 4x256GB SSDs in RAID 0 for all mah games. Deathwing loads in about 6 seconds on them :clint:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Stanley Pain posted:

My brand of 'tism has 4x256GB SSDs in RAID 0 for all mah games. Deathwing loads in about 6 seconds on them :clint:

But but but, what if I have 5000gb of games and they all have to be in one folder, arranged alphabetically into A B C folders AND AND AND include the folder size in the name? WHAT DO YOU DO HOT SHOT?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

But but but, what if I have 5000gb of games and they all have to be in one folder, arranged alphabetically into A B C folders AND AND AND include the folder size in the name? WHAT DO YOU DO HOT SHOT?

Actually, I have them sorted by MD5 hashes that includes the size of the install, the position of the major constellations, and which NAND flash chips the files sit on.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Actually, I have them sorted by MD5 hashes that includes the size of the install, the position of the major constellations, and which NAND flash chips the files sit on.

:gizz::gizz::gizz: Teach me sensei!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

Reminder that MisterBibs didn't like XCOM 2 because in his head XCOM won the first (Because he beat the first one) and having XCOM lose as canon in 2 made it just totally unacceptable.

Please tell me you're joking.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I download a game, play it, and then uninstall it when I play the next game; I'm basically the PC gaming hitler of my generation.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I download a game, play it, and then uninstall it when I play the next game; I'm basically the PC gaming hitler of my generation.

Jesus Christ Man! Think of all that NAND flash you're killing! MURDERER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Jesus Christ Man! Think of all that NAND flash you're killing! MURDERER!

#GamesLivesMatter

• Locked thread