Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

White now increases jump height? Guess that explains why it feels like you fly up so much higher now, at least with the new air dodges you can kinda maneuver a bit if you miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Emalde posted:

(radial menu is simultaneously great and super frustrating)

Not being able to move the camera while scrolling through items :whitewater:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

White now increases jump height? Guess that explains why it feels like you fly up so much higher now, at least with the new air dodges you can kinda maneuver a bit if you miss.

It always has though???

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I ran up to the jagras and did a gl slam>full dump>stake driver at it and then a wyvern fire when it fell over and it died. Maybe a little heartier enemy for the easy trial.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

Your health is in the upper-left. It's collapsed into a little green diamond when you're not in combat. Same for your stamina, which is right under your health.

One thing to note is that there's a lot that isn't in the demo. For example, while there are a lot of consumables, the full game isn't going to just dump them all on you from the start like that. And there are lots of different weapons to craft of each type, with different aesthetics.

It really doesn't have much in common with Dragon's Dogma, though, beyond there being big monsters you can sometimes climb on.

On top of that, the monsters in the demo are weak for demo purposes.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Olive! posted:

Not being able to move the camera while scrolling through items :whitewater:

You can press left/right on the d-pad to scroll through items though.

Also, I'm already finding the wheel becoming muscle memory - you can press L1 and flick the right stick in a direction so quickly that the wheel doesn't even show up once you know where the item you want is.

Edit: okay the wheel does show up but you don't have to look at it

Triarii fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 9, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

goddamn it feels nice to play this game with a real controller and on a non-handheld with none of nintendo's bullshit

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Never played a game like this before. Manage to complete the 4 missions with randoms. It seems a complicate game with all the tools and controls. Feel somewhat like Lost Colony?.

My favorite weapon is the glaive because you do damage and still are mobile. Tried the range weapons but don't seems to do much damage, maybe?.

Can't wait for the complete game, that I will play slowly, learning all the keys and movements and stuff.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
so why when you launch the main menu does a flute play the old Destiny 1 theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKfd5EKBtI&t=12s

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
This is how I beat the Expert quest. :black101:

https://twitter.com/eikoandmog/status/939608946213502978

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I also discovered that you can launch teammates onto the monster and they can start to rodeo the mofo lol

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

sicDaniel posted:

I just did the first mission, and it was my very first experience with a Monster Hunter game. Coming from Dragon's Dogma I expected to like it a lot more. None of the weapons look good, the controls feel awkward, combat is too slow and weird, and the amount of consumables just adds to my confusion. I killed the monster just mashing buttons randomly. I don't even know where my health bar is.
I'll give it a couple more shots. Maybe it'll click.

Tei posted:

Never played a game like this before. Manage to complete the 4 missions with randoms. It seems a complicate game with all the tools and controls. Feel somewhat like Lost Colony?.

My favorite weapon is the glaive because you do damage and still are mobile. Tried the range weapons but don't seems to do much damage, maybe?.

Can't wait for the complete game, that I will play slowly, learning all the keys and movements and stuff.

Monster Hunter is a game that can take a while to fully click, even with the help the new one gives. In the first Monster Hunter I played (Tri) I rage quit on the Barroth, which was one of the early monsters and probably the first brick wall. I waited a while, read up on Monster Hunter and saw that this is a kind of deliberate game, where you learn the monsters, your combos, and how long things take to do, and just don't go in mashing buttons expecting things to work out. It all feels a bit faster paced now than then, and everything feels better balanced in general, but that underlying stuff is still an important part of the game.

Ranged weapons are a bit more complicated than they appear. You need to be at specific ranges away from the monster to do max damage, and make proper use of your ammo or coatings. I only tried out the ranged weapons for a short time in the training area, but it seemed like you still want to be the right distance depending on the shot type. Other people can probably explain it properly.

And Insect Glaive is my favorite too, it's so much fun. I always branch out to a bunch of weapons, but I love the glaive the best.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Tried the range weapons but don't seems to do much damage, maybe?

Did you catch the tooltip about changing ammo?

Can you actually remove Jagras tail? I blasted it with carving ammo the whole fight and I think I got a pop-up about breaking a part, but his actual tail didn't pop off before he died.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

Did you catch the tooltip about changing ammo?

Can you actually remove Jagras tail? I blasted it with carving ammo the whole fight and I think I got a pop-up about breaking a part, but his actual tail didn't pop off before he died.

The tail won't come off a Jagras, no.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Game's good, after playing around I'm surprised how much carries over from the older games. My only gripe is that charging phials with Charge Blade uses R2 instead of R1, meaning I'm accidentally sheathing a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the concepts and systems I'm not entirely grasping yet are going to be introduced more gradually and thoroughly in the full game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
:siren: attention: you can slide and shoot with Heavy Bowguns :siren:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Tried the range weapons but don't seems to do much damage, maybe?.

Gunning in the older games requires precise knowledge. To do max damage you have to be within a specific range, using specific ammo, and hitting specific weak points. If you're just shooting willy nilly you're not using ranged weapons to their full potential. For a beginner I'd just make sure you're not using the basic shots. They have unlimited ammo but they hardly do any damage.

e: Critical Distance is something I don't know if the games have ever bothered explaining. Basically you have to be within a specific range (not too close, not too far) when you fire your shot to do max damage.

Taken from This old gaijinhunter blog post

quote:

The MOST CRITICAL THING TO KNOW about Bow:
OK now that we know the shots and what they do, let’s talk about how to deal damage (besides charging and making sure we hit with most our arrows!) The one factor besides charge LV is distance. In Japan, we call it ‘critical distance’. It’s the main reason people try bow and find they cannot kill ANYTHING without spending nearly all 45 min.

When you aim, critical distance is the top of the arc. Here is the distance in terms of backsteps from the monster:
Spread: 0.5-2 backsteps
Rapid: 2-3.5 backsteps
Pierce: 3.5-6 backsteps

So you can see, spread shot makes bow essential a mid-to-close distance melee weapon when used properly. Apparently there is a difference in effect when you hit at critical distance, but I really don’t see it. Great video for visually seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zxIFz_x1id0#at=26

You miss the critical distance on your bow and you’ll 30-35% less damage. Hit close and you’ll do 100%. Hit the sweat spot and you’ll do 150%. That’s DOUBLE the damage for each arrow had you shot too far or too close away. Seeing why people try bow and can’t seem to kill anything?

Learn the critical and it’ll stick with you like learning to ride a bike

Basically, when you shoot the monster you want to see HUGE hitsparks. If you're not seeing bigass hitsparks you're not in the "critical distance." Apparently there are no hitsparks in this one. See below.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 9, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the concepts and systems I'm not entirely grasping yet are going to be introduced more gradually and thoroughly in the full game.

Yeah I've completely forgotten how to do very basic-rear end stuff like Captures and the demo does not elucidate, so keep in mind that this demo is Opaque As Hell compared to normal releases

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Game's good, after playing around I'm surprised how much carries over from the older games. My only gripe is that charging phials with Charge Blade uses R2 instead of R1, meaning I'm accidentally sheathing a lot.

There's an option to switch those buttons. R2 feels much more natural as sheath/sprint and R1 feels more like the shoulder button on the 3DS.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think my biggest beef so far is that the HP/Stamina bars are too small/don't stand out much. They were much larger on handheld because they needed to be else they'd be invisible, but playing on my monitor they feel way too small. I think I'll get used to seeing them over time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really like the control scheme. Why oh why is triangle an attack button, and why does my character have to spend 2 sec unsheating their weapon again whenever the monster gets more than 5 feet away from me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there are no hitsparks in this one so for ranged weapons you need to pay attention to what your crosshairs look like. they turn orange and have extra lines on them when you're at the right range for your current ammo. its easy to see in the training room with the big tree trunk

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really like the control scheme. Why oh why is triangle an attack button, and why does my character have to spend 2 sec unsheating their weapon again whenever the monster gets more than 5 feet away from me.

Not sure if a joke, but go Greatsword. You get a sick unsheathe attack.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Did they give Insect Glaive the forward leap in World? If you have having to resheath all the time I'd go with that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does the scale seem way different in this game? i haven’t played a monster hunter in a decade+ but i don’t remember rathalos being so huge, or diabolos?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not a joke, just annoyed by how loose the target locking is. Oh you sidestepped the bad guy's charge, that must mean you wanted to put away your weapons and lose targeting.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Emalde posted:

:toot:

Game feels real good. There are definitely some Quirks to the enhanced UI that require muscling through (radial menu is simultaneously great and super frustrating)

New Insect Glaive is a riot and will probably be my weapon of choice, but there is some Cool poo poo on Switch Axe and Duals.

:toot:

I was playing switch axe for these and hoooooly gently caress is it satisfying as poo poo to land a zero sum elemental discharge.

After skipping gen and xx it's nice to be back hunting mons!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i've never really hammered before but goddamn that midair spinning thing is loving beautiful when you land it

exquisite tea posted:

auto-sheathing is an option you can turn off

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

If you feel like combat speed is too slow try using Sword and Shield or Dual Blades. Sheathing and unsheathing are much faster with these weapons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

Not a joke, just annoyed by how loose the target locking is. Oh you sidestepped the bad guy's charge, that must mean you wanted to put away your weapons and lose targeting.

Dunno if you're an MH vet but traditionally MH games don't have any sort of auto targeting, which is a good thing since (at least in the main game) you want to try to break parts for more loot

Try playing without it and swiveling the camera & (un)sheathing manually

(e) The games are also about commitment and being punished for overcommiting is part of the design, so the slow sheathe/unsheathe/animations in general are part of that

(consider that in old games you had to sheathe to use a whetstone and were held still for 2+ seconds while using a potion)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can you only have one horn song up at a time?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Managed to kill the Rathalos, now all that’s left is the Diablos but I think the demo gear is too weak to do it in 20 minutes

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even bother target locking since the camera is on a fully analog stick this time, wasn't hard to keep myself focused.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On the technical side of things it's unfortunately horribly held back by the base PS4 hardware, it struggles to maintain 30fps with bad frame pacing issues and horrendous input delay that you will immediate notice & feel as soon as you start playing. I'm sure the pro/x versions will be a lot more solid but it's a very sluggish feeling game on base hardware. The complaints I have with this beta are all down to the hardware, and in my personal case it's a non-issue since I'm going for the PC version anyway. I am so very ready for this game.

Yeah I really expected it to run better from videos but I guess those were all running on a pro. This feels like the first game that actually has a really significant performance difference on the pro; I found the frame rate tanked anytime a second monster was around and couldn't really maintain 30 for long elsewhere. I'll still get it on PS4 but it will be temporary until the PC version comes out.

I doubt it will happen but I hope there are more control options in the final version too. Circle/triangle instead of square/triangle for attacks is throwing off my muscle memory something fierce after nioh and I was just constantly pressing the wrong thing in general. Still killed the quest monsters with my old switch axe barely within the time limit :)

WildChyld
Dec 20, 2003
Entirely too metal for one hand: \mm/
This is my first time playing a MH game and I’m pretty sure I’m digging it thus far. The controls do feel awkward to me but once muscle memory kicks in I’m hoping that the game becomes much more enjoyable. The targets system seems pretty clunky to me. I would think turning auto targeting/locking off would be better. Any opinions from y’all?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Triarii posted:

You can press left/right on the d-pad to scroll through items though.

Also, I'm already finding the wheel becoming muscle memory - you can press L1 and flick the right stick in a direction so quickly that the wheel doesn't even show up once you know where the item you want is.

Edit: okay the wheel does show up but you don't have to look at it

Also now that I took the time to look through the options menu, you can even just turn the radial menu off and use old controls! I'll probably take the time to get used to the radial menu though, it does seem handy.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Some of this UI still needs some work. As a hunting horn user, not having a big noise / popup to show whether or not my buff worked is really throwing me off. I appreciate having the songs listed in the corner at all time, but at least give me a good noise to tell my brain that the buff executed - it's OK to roll now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why have I never used the hunting horn before? It's loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea posted:

You can turn off the auto sheathe