Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"Will you help to stop the Red Hat raiders? They're the most feared gang in the wasteland!"

and you get a dialogue prompt like:

Agree / Disagree / More Questions / Monkeycheese Bullshit Option

and you pick "Agree" and then your avatar says something like:

"I'll help you stop the Red Hat raiders, but only because you're such a pathetic bitch that can't solve the problem on your own!"

and I'm left sitting there thinking holy poo poo that is not at all how I would have wanted my character to respond.

[right hook]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mass Effect really doesn't allow much RP opportunity. You basically have 3 characters; generally good guy, mostly good guy that is a dick about it, and comically evil idiot. I don't think its a failing of the writing, since you are playing a very specific character there, but the game is built around that. Fallout was never about the protagonist be this extremely defined character with very clear motivations and goals. I don't think its a direction the series should continue to go in either.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

The case against/for a voiced main character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9cK0MDb1I&hd=1

The case for/against a voiced main character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxk40MMAd4A&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTkKe2mlpc&t=14s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way that a voiced protagonist can work is if you have a set personality for them to begin with and then base the choices presented around ways on which that character could conceivably act. Human Revolution is pretty good about this with Adam Jensen, but Alpha Protocol probably does it best, since you are only given varying shades of rear end in a top hat to play around with.
That's why Mass effect's roleplaying never really worked for me because it is impossible to believe that Shepard can go from angel saint to psychopath and expect me to think that is consistent.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Psychotic Weasel posted:

To be honest I really wish Bethesda did more with the Memory Den in their DLC plans so we got to spend more time in the pre-War world. It's like the most fascinating part of Fallout's lore to me; the American Dream turning to a nightmare and how the world was slowly coming apart at the seams. The first ~15 minutes of the game a heaven to me.

Just turn on the news and you're all set.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Reading this thread reminded me that Fallout 4 is steaming poo poo and reminded me that New Vegas is the poo poo. What community patches/mods are must haves for NV in 2018?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate Geralt because he looks boring and sounds boring and when I'm playing a fantasy game a grizzled old white guy is my last choice for a character.

I like him in part because he seems at the start like the cliche grizzled white man gameplay protagonist but then he turns out to have a actual personality and character.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Spun Dog posted:

Just turn on the news and you're all set.

We do get a lot of American news up here - but without the slick retrofuturism asthetic or news anchor voiced by Ron Pearlman it's just depressing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MikeJF posted:

I like him in part because he seems at the start like the cliche grizzled white man gameplay protagonist but then he turns out to have a actual personality and character.

Yeah, the first time I laid eyes on Geralt I thought he was anime original character do not steal Marty Stu guy, with his special eyes and magic hair. Then he actually started talking and it all came together.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

Yeah, the first time I laid eyes on Geralt I thought he was anime original character do not steal Marty Stu guy, with his special eyes and magic hair.

It's cool, tho.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The voice thing is amazingly bad because even I want want to be John Fallout and care about my son, going 100% for their characterisation it still feels really off if I want John Fallout to be a really buff black dude or a grizzled old guy, smooth Latino etc and a nerdy white boy voices comes out.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, though. if the general trend of increasingly civilized settings continues apace, FO5 is going to involve your character living a normal post-post-apocalypse life where you have to prepare for your job interview as a computer programmer for the NCR and fret about whether or not you can afford your apartment rent after the landlord just raised the rate to 1200 caps. you'll enjoy exciting things like eating lunch at a functional restaurant and paying for a ride on working public transportation.

I genuinely want to play It's Always Sunny in Boneyard, where seeding thread to the game is you have to come up with 1,200 caps every week or risk losing health insurance.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like that geralt's reason for getting laid so often is actually reasonable (sterile and immune to disease in a world of filthy sheepshaggers), he's practically preyed on by women in some stories because of how consequence-free a lay he is.

A refreshing upfrontness in a sea of bodice-ripping hunkmen who seduce every woman they lay eyes on

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Quick question.
What's the size required for Fallout 4 GOTY edition on the PS4. It says something like 40+ Gigs on the PSN site but I was wondering if that number includes the DLC or not.

Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I like that geralt's reason for getting laid so often is actually reasonable (sterile and immune to disease in a world of filthy sheepshaggers), he's practically preyed on by women in some stories because of how consequence-free a lay he is.

A refreshing upfrontness in a sea of bodice-ripping hunkmen who seduce every woman they lay eyes on

Of course Geralt is also a bodice-ripping hunkman. He's just a likable one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Charles Mansion posted:

Reading this thread reminded me that Fallout 4 is steaming poo poo and reminded me that New Vegas is the poo poo. What community patches/mods are must haves for NV in 2018?

The actual Fallout: New Vegas Modding Thread.

Literal not-optional stuff includes:
NVSE - the script extender that lets most things work,
CASM - a new autosave system built from the manual save system and replacing the default entirely because the default corrupts save files, and
NVAC - New Vegas Anti-Crash; a handler for tons of game-breaking exceptions that Bethesda (you read that right) should have caught in testing but couldn't be bothered.

You will almost certainly want:
the new FNV_4GB, which patches FalloutNV.exe on disk rather than in memory,
the Mod Configuration Menu to configure things like CASM and some of the bigger mods, and
Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch for reasons you can probably figure out on your own.

You are rather likely to want:
JSawyer Ultimate, an expanded form of Josh Sawyer's rules changes file,
New Vegas Uncut, a set of content restoration mods. There's supposed to be a Github of 'em but it's 404.

There's also goon favorites like Yukichigai's Gameplay Tweaks and the Radio New Vegas Secret Stash (if you can find it), but at that point it's time to visit the modding thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas uncut also recently had a compilation patch made so you only need to download one instead of several and cut down on your plugin count.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course Geralt is also a bodice-ripping hunkman. He's just a likable one.

I love how there's endless complaints online from players about a questline where Geralt gets hired to 'tutor' a noble young girl in swordfighting and she has arguments with her twin and it feels like it's leading up to sex but then she gets into a fight with some randoms and turns out to be a horrible racist and Geralt is all well gently caress that poo poo and leaves. And people online are all WHAT HAPPENED WHY DIDN'T WE gently caress HER I DON'T GET IT AND I HAVE BLUE BALLS

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Imagine "whether or not the video game man has sex" being anywhere even remotely near your radar as far as things to care about

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Last time I played Alpha Protocol I tried to get the achievement for not doing any romances in a playthrough, and then right at the end my wife made me have sex with SIE

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

rude

Yeah, video game romances sure are A Thing.

When the throwaway single-button skits from Saints Row IV are near the top of the heap, that's probably a sign your medium has problems with intimacy.

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Vegas uncut also recently had a compilation patch made so you only need to download one instead of several and cut down on your plugin count.

That's on the downed Github page and also needs some heavier (read: any) documentation so people who haven't shot mods directly into their veins can install it properly.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Last time I played Alpha Protocol I tried to get the achievement for not doing any romances in a playthrough, and then right at the end my wife made me have sex with SIE

Sorry, you get the bad ending for spilling your essence. In game and in real life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I love how there's endless complaints online from players about a questline where Geralt gets hired to 'tutor' a noble young girl in swordfighting and she has arguments with her twin and it feels like it's leading up to sex but then she gets into a fight with some randoms and turns out to be a horrible racist and Geralt is all well gently caress that poo poo and leaves. And people online are all WHAT HAPPENED WHY DIDN'T WE gently caress HER I DON'T GET IT AND I HAVE BLUE BALLS

We should all wish games were as well-written as The Witcher 3.

The thing is, I don't even like medieval fantasy. I don't play D&D very often despite loving tabletop RPGs because I can't get into the setting, and I've never read any Tolkien books or watched more than a few minutes of any of the movies. It's never had any kind of appeal to me....and then with The Witcher 3 I'll sit there for hours without moving from the computer. The characters and story are so engrossing that it's made me willingly step into a genre I've otherwise ignored my whole life. The only thing that stopped me from powering through the game as fast as possible is that it's actually pretty difficult and I'm stubborn about not turning it down to the easiest difficulty setting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The writing in that game didn't really do anything for me; New Vegas already gave me my fill of mud farmers asking me to kill a monster as they're tugged to and fro by The Powers That Be, and I'd mostly much rather have the heightened emotions and melodrama of a Nier Automata or Yakuza 0. Great visuals and atmosphere tho

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Steam has the FO4 season pass 50% off this weekend.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

How the hell did Bethesda add the ability to become a raider king to fo4, and then not add a loving raider ending. I want to see diamond city in chains, and overrun the Institute with a bunch of drugged-up morons wearing stuffed animals.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NotALizardman posted:

How the hell did Bethesda add the ability to become a raider king to fo4, and then not add a loving raider ending. I want to see diamond city in chains, and overrun the Institute with a bunch of drugged-up morons wearing stuffed animals.

Because Bethesda doesn't really seem to plan anything story wise. They just sort of throw in whatever seems cool at the moment like they have attention deficit disorder.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, they were really just going 'oh gently caress it all, can't be hosed', I think.

There's hints that there was originally going to be a raider faction story in vanilla that didn't make it. All the intricate character plot and policies for the Raiders that can be found on their terminals, for example.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea that weirds me out but it's pretty funny; there's all these raider dens where they have names and backstories and you just run in and blow them all to pieces, then moonwalk off into the distance and never think about them again.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I get the feeling that everything in FO4 is a direct response to criticisms levelled at FO3 especially after FONV was released.
So, when people complained that the capital wasteland was just a load of unconnected set pieces and that the Raiders made no sense and how do people live there, there’s no food, there’s no economy, there’s no factions to join etc etc.
Well, that’s why FO4 has settlement building and crafting and crop growing and Raiders with backstories and cities with shops and factions to side with.
There’s so much in 4 that I can see are inspired by the immersive elements of New Vegas.
I’m just playing Nuka World now for the first time and it’s interesting how they’ve humanised Raiders to be another gang more like the BoS rather than just bullet fodder that threw themselves screaming at you in FO3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MikeJF posted:

Also, they were really just going 'oh gently caress it all, can't be hosed', I think.

There's hints that there was originally going to be a raider faction story in vanilla that didn't make it. All the intricate character plot and policies for the Raiders that can be found on their terminals, for example.

That's just standard Bethesda writing though. They love to write little backstories for a lot of the areas that get told through the environment and notes. I'd actually say its the one part of their writing that is consistently good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The most telling thing about Bethesda's storytelling is the utter lack of coordination between their various writers. There can be individual areas where the storytelling is really good but there is almost no consistency between regions because nobody wants to step on someone else's toes. Frankly I'm amazed that there is any level of interconnectivity between the Raider camps in FO4.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

You're correct, you don't need perks. However, you do often need specific small parts like springs that you can't get from breaking down items unless you get the requisite perks. Without them, you're stuck getting 1 or 2 Steel for breaking down an entire gun and still effectively unable to craft the standard parts.

The mod I got makes those standard parts free (if you want a greater challenge, it makes the shortest barrels free and standard-length barrels still require crafting) so you can effectively pull pieces off the guns you find and get to building guns immediately.

Yeah, Scrapper's got a very misleading description and picture. What it notes, even the rank 3 bonus you get from DLC, don't apply to the normal junk items, which scrap into the same subcomponents no matter what. They only apply to reclaiming advanced materials from mods when you scrap a gun or piece of armor with mods attached.

And it's a good thing too, you need crystal to build radio beacons but you can't reclaim it until rank 2.

If you want to find items with a particular component in, like springs, you can go to the junk tab in your Pip-Boy, change it to "component view", and then tag particular component types for search. Their name will show up with a magnifying glass after it, even in vendors.

Scrapper 2 will highlight all containers in the world which have a tagged component in them, but you don't need perks at all to tag components.

Springs are present in most intact pre-war mechanisms, like alarm clocks, cameras, toasters, typewriters, all lockets and flip lighters, and Giddyups Buttercup, in whole or in part.

I really like Fallout 4's scrap crafting system. There are a couple things that actually do need specific items, but the bulk of the game uses subcomponents and as a result strikes a good balance between variety of lootable items, relative rarity of recipe ingredients, and the ability to regularly make actual crafts instead of getting stymied because you need short wood planks but only have regular wood planks, and need small screws but only have small bolts and medium screws.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Fallout 2 was the height of the series for me, I don't think I survived the transition to the 3rd dimension. Certain Fallout hallmarks survived in 3/4 and VATS was sort of interesting (if janky), but I think the isometric light shone extra-bright on some games, and Fallout 1/2 are among the illuminated ones.

I mean, hitting something and seeing their skull explode like a wet paper bag should be standard fare in RPGs.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

That's just standard Bethesda writing though. They love to write little backstories for a lot of the areas that get told through the environment and notes. I'd actually say its the one part of their writing that is consistently good.

the Survivalist in Honest Hearts is, bar-none, my favorite character in the entire FNV saga, and you never even actually meet him unless you count finding his skeleton as meeting him so i'm tentatively okay with having little side-plots that weave through several areas but are hidden away on notes or in computers or whatever and aren't ever actually brought up by the main characters.

that's probably the answer to my earlier question too, about what below-the-surface sub-plot keeps popping up in FO4 to hint at where they want FO5 to go - the raider factions all having specific leaders that all had interactions with, or opinions about, the other raider leaders, is probably what they're going to explore the next time around. it's actually kind of a neat idea, since groups like the BoS and Enclave and NCR are extremely played out at this point, and raiders as a concept are barely defined as more than amoral murder robots, which doesn't really explain how the hell they manage to exist long enough to reproduce or maintain any kind of lifestyle that allows for the perpetuation of values and heritage and etc.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

I agree with every single word in this post. Silent protagonists, especially in the vein of Elder Scrolls and F:NV are just painfully bland to me. It really limited the level of engagement that I was able to achieve with the story in New Vegas. Games like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol show that it is possible to allow a variety of character flavors to role play while still having a voiced protag. You just can’t discard the entire premise of the game like a petulant child and be a special princess.

OTOH, do you think they'd record every single PC line of dialogue again in the orc, khajiit and argonian male and female voices, or just cut them from being playable characters?

Any character flavor you like, so long as it's white male human.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Byzantine posted:

OTOH, do you think they'd record every single PC line of dialogue again in the orc, khajiit and argonian male and female voices, or just cut them from being playable characters?

Mass Effect proves this isn't the case. You're right about the orc, khajiit, argonian bit, not about the white male bit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Byzantine posted:

Ehh, they're being pretty cagey about the next Elder Scrolls ("the technology won't exist for years!" or some bullshit) but even Dragon Age Inquisition had four voices, two male/two female. It's not inconceivable they could do a similar thing and have English accent/American accent/Vaguely eastern European accent and call it good. If I recall correctly beast races shared the same voices in Oblivion, as did most Orcs/Nords :shrug:

This is all conjecture about a totally different series though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They could just run the same voice through filters depending on your race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

They could just run the same voice through filters depending on your race