Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Doctors "counting" for some insurance and not for others is just one more thing I'll never understand as a Canadian. It's a doctor. As long as they didn't graduate from Big Bob's Centre for Medical Learnin' what the hell does it matter. I mean, I know why it matters but not WHY that mattering matters.

It's because of this:

Lowtax posted:

"Morality: Will Shareholders Financially Benefit From It?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Generally speaking insurance companies negotiate with networks to get special prices and special treatment.

And the doctors in networks agree to charge way less because they'll get more patients (the company is gonna tell all of their customers to go to in network doctors) and because it simplifies their billing. They send the bill for X straight to the insurance company and get paid right away.

But now there's a whole new level of middlemen in the network and the insurance company who are negotiating over every last procedure and item.

The is what Single Payer means: there is one entity that pays the bills, and that's the government. You get a better deal when you buy in bulk!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

The is what Single Payer means: there is one entity that pays the bills, and that's the government. You get a better deal when you buy in bulk!

Not only that but the government can very easily in that case go "gently caress you hospitals you don't get to charge $30 for a single aspirin seriously what the hell is wrong with you?"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Dancing my Australian health care dance ATM.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Gridlocked posted:

Dancing my Australian health care dance ATM.

To be fair, our multi-tiered health system is pretty convoluted - it's just that there's usually a "pay nothing" option available if you're willing to wait and catastrophic stuff is effectively always "pay nothing" because our biggest hospitals are public (or at least non-profit, in the case of hospitals like St Vincent's).

What we do lack is a good public dental option, and the amount the Medicare levy would have to increase to cover that is insane.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

it's weird Mega64 doesn't give their props they should for their startings. Just saying. I got my carpel tunnel surgery which is like neck surgery so I figure this is my part.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man thats a pretty high tax!!

You should flee the country and turn something awful into a medical refugee support forum.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Is Lowtax dead yet? I'm still waiting for the tweets where people pretend to sympathise with famous people they never knew before posting their selfies and food as usual.

j/k, hope u get well soon buddy.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lowtax posted:

I didn't even want pain pills, I told them that specifically, because I have some sort of allergic reaction to them and they just make me feel like poo poo (except Lyrica). The doctor was rude as gently caress and, in the middle of me describing my symptoms to him, wheeled his loving chair out of the room and started talking to his nurse walking by. Like sorry my issues are inconveniencing you from your idle banter.

About that Lyrica...

quote:

A British man says he was turned gay by the pain pills he was prescribed for a broken foot.

Scott Purdy said he was straight until he started taking the medication Lyrica for pain following the fracture, Pink News has reported.

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/international-news-news/man-claims-pain-pills-turned-gay/168063

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

meat police posted:

it's weird Mega64 doesn't give their props they should for their startings. Just saying. I got my carpel tunnel surgery which is like neck surgery so I figure this is my part.

I'm pretty sure forums poster Mega64 isn't Internet Channel Mega64

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not sure if devious plot of the gay agenda or just an elaborate way to come out to his family.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
i'm gay

because i went to Canadia and got over-the-counter codeine

i guess it makes sense that chronic pain causes heterosexuality, heterosexuals are often angry assholes

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Oi that Lyrica made me gay, mate.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

new phone who dis posted:

Oi that Lyrica made me gay, mate.

It made me pain free, so in a sense I was gay, in the sense that I was happy

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah, so it made you classically gay.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

haha i had to go get a weird test at a weird place so i had to get my medical records from the hospital, like a printed stack of paper and cds of the imaging they did

i told one of the pain management docs that i wanted to go home because i could smoke weed there and it worked better than all the poo poo they gave me in the hospital and he specifically wrote the word for word conversation in my chart, like 'patient stated he would rather be at home because smoking weed works better than any of this poo poo' what the gently caress yo

the most fun part of surgery was probably the extra month i had to take off after the second one so i could be weaned off the morphine they gave me for the month i was in the hospital. or maybe it was when i asked the doc for 1 pain pill so i could sit through a show i had expensive tickets for and he prescribed me fifty. or maybe it was the experimental pain meds they gave me that made me hallucinate i was in the bottom of the well from the ring and stop breathing until my family asked me why i hadn't spoken in 3 hours

good times

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Any questions that non-Americans have about the American healthcare system can basically be answered with: this country is a loving miserable dumpster fire and the people who run it are greedy, heartless assholes. I’d be looking forward to seeing this shithole burn to the ground if it weren’t for all the innocent people who will be hurt by it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

RoboCop 3 posted:

Any questions that non-Americans have about the American healthcare system can basically be answered with: this country is a loving miserable dumpster fire and the people who run it are greedy, heartless assholes. I’d be looking forward to seeing this shithole burn to the ground if it weren’t for all the innocent people who will be hurt by it.
Yup, I'm literally afraid of stating my opinion of how this country is run and what the solution to it is, because I absolutely know I'd be placed on a watchlist.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Yup, I'm literally afraid of stating my opinion of how this country is run and what the solution to it is, because I absolutely know I'd be placed on a watchlist.

Congress is run by the pharma companies and insurance companies in order to make the most money. Most of this is a result of crooked democrats. Republicans have better things like war, and cronyism.

anyways, i'm now on a watchlist.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Lowtax posted:

I guarantee you, you have already been on a list for a very long time. Probably from around the time LF was opened.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Lacey posted:

Funnily enough I was at a Canadian ER this morning with a broken middle finger. I was in, X-rayed, taped up, and out in about 2.5 hours and it was all free.

Granted it's Sunday and we're having a winter storm so the hospital was eerily empty. It was just me and a couple parents whose toddlers had diarrhea. It really depends when you go.

I work for a company that runs hospitals.

A few months ago, I had a kidney stone. I went to the urgent care (Basically, an alternative to going to the ER, it's cheaper, if you're not familiar). They did blood work and said go to the ER. I did. I drove myself the 30 miles to the nearest hospital my company owned, in excruciating pain, because ambulance rides are expensive. I checked myself in. They did a blood test and said it looked fine and the urgent care must have screwed up. Did a CAT scan, said it would probably pass, and then gave me a prescription for a bunch of opiates. I was in there for about 4 hours and never actually saw a doctor, just one of the physician's assistants.

Got a bill for $500. Okay, it could have been worse. Got another bill for another $800 because the doctor that oversaw the PA's that I saw, while working at the hospital my company owns, isn't technically an employee of the company (Even though he works there, has a thing on our website like he's an employee) and because of that it fell under a different insurance tier. So apparently you're supposed to ask to see everyone's tax documents before you let them talk to you otherwise you're going to get screwed. Mind you, I never even actually saw this doctor, either. And I work for the company that runs this hospital, too, so I am supposed to get good prices.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

That'd be hilarious if it wasn't so terrifying.

In the UK it's all free but the current government are defunding it to the point where it's basically useless, so hooray!

I still don't even get how any country can actually view proper healthcare as a net cost. People can't work if they're sick or injured but apparently it's not worth the money to help them get better. poo poo's hosed.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves the biggest reason is that the pressure is insane. I think anesthesiologists have a very high rate of addiction and mental issues because it's such a high pressure job. There tends to be a shortage of them because a lot of med students look at the insane pressure and razor thin safe zones and go "lol nope, doing something less insane."

Well i definitely have mental issues

Anesthesia drugs are actually extraordinarily safe in a sense. Complications are rare at high volume hospitals with large anesthesia groups.

The drugs that create a painless state of unawareness also cause your breathing to slow or stop. So if you need to be deeply asleep, you will necessarily have to be given enough to make you stop breathing, which is fine as long as the anesthesiologist is able to put a breathing tube in your windpipe and connect you to a ventilator before your blood oxygen levels get too low. Sometimes the surgery is so delicate that under no circumstances must the patient be allowed to move or react to being cut, so in those circumstances we infuse a paralytic agent into your blood. This also makes you stop breathing. It's a lethal injection in a sense but there is a highly trained professional there to give you life support.

The problem is our ability to predict who will be difficult or impossible to put the breathing tube into is limited. So you can imagine if I give you a dose of paralytic that will last 30 minutes, but I find it impossible to put a breathing tube in you cause you're too fat and i can't see poo poo in your throat, then your oxygen levels get depleted and you suffer cardiac arrest. Then things get interesting.

This is just one example of hundreds that make up the reason that anesthesia is like flying a fighter plane in a dog fight sometimes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

That'd be hilarious if it wasn't so terrifying.

In the UK it's all free but the current government are defunding it to the point where it's basically useless, so hooray!

I still don't even get how any country can actually view proper healthcare as a net cost. People can't work if they're sick or injured but apparently it's not worth the money to help them get better. poo poo's hosed.

I've told you before; people are a renewable resource.

edit: Where in the world is that originally from? My earliest memory of it was Galactic Civilizations II but I feel like that wasn't where it originated.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm an American who moved to Canada. Two weeks ago I fractured my foot and had to use socialized medicine for the first time.

I had to pay for the aircast boot, but the x-ray, nurse check up, and doctor consultation was free.

If I want to see a podiatrist it will cost $65, but that's still a joke compared to American prices.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Ccs posted:

I'm an American who moved to Canada. Two weeks ago I fractured my foot and had to use socialized medicine for the first time.

I had to pay for the aircast boot, but the x-ray, nurse check up, and doctor consultation was free.

If I want to see a podiatrist it will cost $65, but that's still a joke compared to American prices.

How did you get the Canadians to let you in? Are you rich? Are you like a superstar neurosurgeon or some other highly desirable skilled worker? Did you marry a Canadian? If not, will you marry me? :(

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Well i definitely have mental issues

Anesthesia drugs are actually extraordinarily safe in a sense. Complications are rare at high volume hospitals with large anesthesia groups.

The drugs that create a painless state of unawareness also cause your breathing to slow or stop. So if you need to be deeply asleep, you will necessarily have to be given enough to make you stop breathing, which is fine as long as the anesthesiologist is able to put a breathing tube in your windpipe and connect you to a ventilator before your blood oxygen levels get too low. Sometimes the surgery is so delicate that under no circumstances must the patient be allowed to move or react to being cut, so in those circumstances we infuse a paralytic agent into your blood. This also makes you stop breathing. It's a lethal injection in a sense but there is a highly trained professional there to give you life support.

The problem is our ability to predict who will be difficult or impossible to put the breathing tube into is limited. So you can imagine if I give you a dose of paralytic that will last 30 minutes, but I find it impossible to put a breathing tube in you cause you're too fat and i can't see poo poo in your throat, then your oxygen levels get depleted and you suffer cardiac arrest. Then things get interesting.

This is just one example of hundreds that make up the reason that anesthesia is like flying a fighter plane in a dog fight sometimes.

Anesthesiology basically makes every other form of surgery possible (aside from quick amputations and a few tumor-chopping-offs and whatnot that were being done before it was "invented" back in Victorian times), including the ones I, personally, wouldn't have survived past my early 20s without, so their being amongst the highest-paid of specialties is A-OK by me. The conquering of pain in medicine (speaking broadly here) is one of the greatest acts of human ingenuity in the history of our species.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Anesthesiology basically makes every other form of surgery possible (aside from quick amputations and a few tumor-chopping-offs and whatnot that were being done before it was "invented" back in Victorian times)

Robert Liston, "the fastest knife in the west end":

quote:

He was six foot two, and operated in a bottle-green coat with wellington boots. He sprung across the blood-stained boards upon his swooning, sweating, strapped-down patient like a duelist, calling, 'Time me gentlemen, time me!' to students craning with pocket watches from the iron-railinged galleries. Everyone swore that the first flash of his knife was followed so swiftly by the rasp of saw on bone that sight and sound seemed simultaneous. To free both hands, he would clasp the bloody knife between his teeth.

quote:

Amputated the leg in under 2​ 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Klyith posted:

Robert Liston, "the fastest knife in the west end":

Yep, he's exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that bit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RoboCop 3 posted:

How did you get the Canadians to let you in? Are you rich? Are you like a superstar neurosurgeon or some other highly desirable skilled worker? Did you marry a Canadian? If not, will you marry me? :(

I went to school for a year in Canada, managed to get a job and get my company to sponsor me.

You can get Permanent Residency if you do a masters degree in Ontario. That automatically gets you the number of points you need for Express Entry.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I got myself banned again for the first time in years to send you more money for your robot spine.

Well it was mostly because I was drinking but it has a happy side effect.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Last time I was sent to a hospital was when I suffered 3 epileptic(ish) seizures. I'm not epileptic and had no experience with seizures so I didn't know one could drop to the ground and have a seizure that lasts for minutes, and not remember any of it. During the last of the three I was already in the hospital and had high fever. So when I came to, I was confused, had no idea where I was and according to the paperwork I wrestled 6 of the staff members trying to escape before they managed to tranquilize my rear end and tie me down. Anyway 8 days of full care and thorough research in a good hospital in Europe cost me around 60 dollars, wrestling the staff included.

Hope you get the cost to a manageable level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
European death panels had to kill ten grandmas to pay for your healthcare, you monster

• Locked thread