Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Edge's still the best if you have his ssb, it's amazing how much utility I'm getting out of that one still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Arcon posted:

Ive neglected the torments so Ive been kinda working on getting them done. Just did 250/300CM XIV today, so now I have an assortment of IV-VII, XI, and XII left to do

Probably not gonna get the IV 200CM done, my IV gear is absolutely poo poo* but I dont want to pull on the banner

Trip Report: Finished all the torments, got all the CMs. I even did a 5man CM for the V-300 for fun, since I had the right SBs to make it work (Krile Sheep, Exdeath USB, Gogo BSB, Faris USB1, and Lenna USB), just dropped a bunch of summons on them. Then went up and murdered the crystal tower today, meaning the only limited time content I have left to catch up on is the Fest Weapon bosses

Also time to finally assemble a proper set of magicite. Got my Fenrir, Mist Dragon, and Living Flame times down to sub30, so I should be good to get some real decks sorted out instead of handicapping myself

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I always hear about how Ixion is pretty much a gimme once you have Edge SSB2 or Arc SSB2 but I have both and I don't think I've managed to get it below 75% before it crushed me

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
You can use hastega against Ixion now too. The worst thing about dispel is the removal of haste.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah my ixion team has OK basically just chain-casting hastega

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Yuffie has the notoriety of not taking dexterity motes (for reasons???) for her legend dive, either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't call it a gimme, but Edge SSB does make it a lot easier. It's all about timing. Pop it at the start for hastega, then the blink eats the first dispel, then you recast during the animation of the second dispel. Don't worry about characters who get hit by the ST dispel, that's not a huge loss. You might need an entrust bot to sustain charges. Also don't bother bringing protectga or shellga - Ixion's non-piercing attacks don't hit very hard, so spending two character turns to recast them isn't worth it.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
drat, I didn't know we were losing the crystals from the sub-30 clears but it looks like a net gain in the end.

What's the consensus on some of the new 6* abilities in Japan? The black magic and spellblade ones are pretty self-explanatory; we need lightning and earth first for the 5* magicites and you go with whatever your kit looks like. I don't have any fantastic monks yet so I'm looking way down the road at the elemental Thief's Revenge (Storm Ride?); I'm guessing my Zidane would really love that over Dash and Slash. The new Sharpshooter seems like a no-brainer for Tidus. I'm a bit torn on the instant wind/lightning Celerity for Lightning, seems like a waste with her USB since she's fast casting anyway; I really wish she'd get 6* Spellblade. That (very) new machinist ability looks awesome: 4 hits, 50% minor imperil.

Good news for me is I'm doing pretty well on hones - I mapped out 8 new abilities to R3 and I've got plenty of crystals left (not that I'll do well enough on the Torments to unlock them anyway)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Philouza posted:

I'm a bit torn on the instant wind/lightning Celerity for Lightning, seems like a waste with her USB since she's fast casting anyway; I really wish she'd get 6* Spellblade.
About two weeks after Quick Disaster (6* Celerity skill you mentioned) is released, there's a XIII event that has Ripping Bolt, the lightning version of Ripping Blast, debuting. Quick Disaster for gauge+actions, USB, then Ripping Bolt to use the quick cycle

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nephrite posted:

Yuffie has the notoriety of not taking dexterity motes (for reasons???) for her legend dive, either.

Because they classify Yuffie as a hybrid character for whatever reason. She even gets a splash of Black Magic access and can equip rods. Hope is also in this weird category which is even more baffling a decision than Yuffie.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Probably because she's all about stealing materia which is mostly spells.

Edit: Remembering to equipm LM's got Ixion down to 35s. :D Kraken still being a dick though, just Lightning herself prob isn't enough there.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I'm convinced, thanks everyone. On both that Edge needs some attention from me, and that the torments are worth doing. heck, I should just have a ninja week or something

e: gently caress, I always forget Fujin. whether its that she does wind stuff or is a dang ninja, I just forget her every single time

e2: I just have ninja blindness or something

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prav posted:

if you dive a ninja you are 100% guaranteed to pull a relic for some different ninja soon after

I tried this.

I got Shadow SSB. :negative:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

McDragon posted:

Well I'm convinced, thanks everyone. On both that Edge needs some attention from me, and that the torments are worth doing. heck, I should just have a ninja week or something

e: gently caress, I always forget Fujin. whether its that she does wind stuff or is a dang ninja, I just forget her every single time

e2: I just have ninja blindness or something
Fujin is a wind mage. The best thing Ninja gives her is Stitch in Time, she's basically the only Ninja actually interested in it

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I'm having trouble with Kraken. I've sub-30'd Ixion and have a bunch of lv99 4* lightning magicite so I'm boosted as much as I'm gonna ever be and still can't crack it.

The only thing I can think of is Lightning+Garnet+Shelke+Onion+Healer but it didn't work for me.

Here's my lightning tech:

Obvious choice options:
Lightning: USB, BSB2, LMR, full dive
Garnet: NuChain, BSB (the +ATK/MAG one), LMR, not dived but I could easily do it if necessary
Onion Knight, both USB's, OSB, BSB, full dive, LMR
Tyro: three USB's
Ramza: Chain, two BSB's, Shout/Chant
Shelke fully dived

Other (not exciting, at least as far as I can tell) choices:
Reno BSB
Raijin BSB
Shantatto USB
Ashe BSB, OSB
Delita USB, BSB
Rapha BSB
TG Cid USB, BSB, OSB, full dive
Marach USB, LMR

Healing options:
Aphmau USB
Yshtola BSB, full dive
Iris BSB, LMR
Alma BSB, full dive

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm having trouble with Kraken. I've sub-30'd Ixion and have a bunch of lv99 4* lightning magicite so I'm boosted as much as I'm gonna ever be and still can't crack it.

My (pretty reliable) sub-30 of Kraken with no 4* lightning magicite is:
Shantotto (USB/full dive)
Reno (USB/full dive)
Garnet (CSB/LMR1, spends her time bardsonging)
Onion Knight (Entrustbot/mage USB)
Deuce (BSB/full dive)

You could probably emulate something pretty similar with Iris, OK, Garnet, Shantotto, and Lightning - you'd just have to hone up the +ATK song so Lightning does some damage.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

if you want the least exciting possible, just bring that TGC instead of garnet and have him churn out those OSB's, prevents you from eating so many counterattacks. If aphmau can keep you up the extra instacasts she provides should help for the sub30. I did basically this strategy with King instead of Lightning, should be pretty comparable I'm guessing. I only barely hit sub30 though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally!

Double healer was the key. I LD'd Aeris and replaced Shelke with her. I had plenty of healing to deal with the counters so I started spamming Thundering Quadstrike with Lightning after USB. Then finished with her AOSB. I also had good RNG. Not too many counters and OK was the only one who got stopped.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah. I'm sub-30ing Kraken now with King/Sora/Lightning pumping out the DPS, but my first clear was just "everyone gives the ball to Orlandeau."

You have everything you need to recreate that:

1.)

bilperkins2 posted:

The only thing I can think of is Lightning+Garnet+Shelke+Onion+Healer but it didn't work for me.

Here's my lightning tech:

Obvious choice options:
Onion Knight, both USB's, OSB, BSB, full dive, LMR
Shelke fully dived

TG Cid USB, BSB, OSB, full dive

Healing options:
Aphmau USB

OK: pUSB and Mako Might. Equip with wrath/entrust
Shelke: wrath/entrust; battleforged
TGC: lifesiphon and...who cares; he's going to be using his OSB over and over. I guess give him thundering quad in the other slot for turns where he isn't fully charged.
Aphmau: curada and protect/shellga. whatever the other battleforged RM is called.
Iris: ultracure and protect/shellga. TGC RM.

OK uses his first 2 turns to drop USB and wall. Then he starts wrath/entrusting over to Orlandeau.
Iris and Aphmau should be able to keep eveyrone topped off after the initial AoE thanks to iris' additional cast speed.
Shelke: wrath/wrath-->entrust to Orlandeau
Orlandeau: lifesiphon until OSB is ready. Preferably line it up after Aphmau does her USB to group heal since you will instacast.

Primary magicite: whichever one punches holes in lit resistance.

That'll get you a reliable 35-40 second clear.

If you're so inclined, you could try swapping in Tyro for OK. Give him the insta-bar RM, carry fabula raider and have Iris cast it with her TGC RM. In this approach, you'll need to cast Orlandeau USB first to get the ATK+50 and 100% crit chance. It's possible this is faster, though it essentially wastes 1 soul break to get it up. On the other hand, you'll always do 99999 damage with the OSB since it'll always crit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The lack of a festival banner runback where you can pull on any of them for 24 hours is kinda a bummer

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The lack of a festival banner runback where you can pull on any of them for 24 hours is kinda a bummer
that only happens when they gently caress up real bad

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I had my fingers crossed the Wondrous Burst select list would be wrong again and we'd get to pick two bursts. Maybe next time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Yeah I'm seriously regretting not going all in on Banner 1. I'm probably going to have to do a few pulls on Tactics 1 despite a ton of dupes and not great other stuff. My holy game is weak, and there's nothing else good on the horizon.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Nihilarian posted:

Fujin is a wind mage. The best thing Ninja gives her is Stitch in Time, she's basically the only Ninja actually interested in it

Yuffie with Dive and Glint loves a well-honed Stitch in Time. Even moreso with LMR.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

FairGame posted:

Yeah. I'm sub-30ing Kraken now with King/Sora/Lightning pumping out the DPS, but my first clear was just "everyone gives the ball to Orlandeau."

You have everything you need to recreate that:

1.)

OK: pUSB and Mako Might. Equip with wrath/entrust
Shelke: wrath/entrust; battleforged
TGC: lifesiphon and...who cares; he's going to be using his OSB over and over. I guess give him thundering quad in the other slot for turns where he isn't fully charged.
Aphmau: curada and protect/shellga. whatever the other battleforged RM is called.
Iris: ultracure and protect/shellga. TGC RM.

OK uses his first 2 turns to drop USB and wall. Then he starts wrath/entrusting over to Orlandeau.
Iris and Aphmau should be able to keep eveyrone topped off after the initial AoE thanks to iris' additional cast speed.
Shelke: wrath/wrath-->entrust to Orlandeau
Orlandeau: lifesiphon until OSB is ready. Preferably line it up after Aphmau does her USB to group heal since you will instacast.

Primary magicite: whichever one punches holes in lit resistance.

That'll get you a reliable 35-40 second clear.

If you're so inclined, you could try swapping in Tyro for OK. Give him the insta-bar RM, carry fabula raider and have Iris cast it with her TGC RM. In this approach, you'll need to cast Orlandeau USB first to get the ATK+50 and 100% crit chance. It's possible this is faster, though it essentially wastes 1 soul break to get it up. On the other hand, you'll always do 99999 damage with the OSB since it'll always crit.

This got me 39 sec clear (I tried the other options above and they didn't work out). 39's good enough for now, I needed someone else to farm as I currently have tons of 4* magicite from the other three I could clear reliably and didn't want to keep farming those anymore.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Man, that Octopath Traveller ad almost made me think we were getting an Octopath event until I actually read the announcement. Almost got excited.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
This is directed to noone in particular, but if you find yourself struggling with either 3 or 4* magicites, or struggling to sub-30, don't forget that your magicite deck is directly responsible for your performance. I was unable to sub-30 lots of 4*s until I got my decks in order, upon which I started blowing them out of the water.

Just last night I realized my Wind team wasn't doing as well as I knew they could. I was using 2x Isgebinds for the crit (I still haven't farmed Silver Dragons) and on a whim I swapped one for a level 99 Tiamat. Tiamat doesn't help PHY teams too much, but the Level 15 Wind Damage passive was enough, by itself, to make my team 4 seconds faster.

Magicite passives are the real deal friends!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've done and sub 30'd all but 2 of the 3* magicites (~35 seconds for golem and shadow dragon but i haven't tried again really) but what kind of decks should I be using for 4*? I've been kind of plugging like an imperil or interesting 3* as my primary and then whatever as secondary.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

hey girl you up posted:

Yuffie with Dive and Glint loves a well-honed Stitch in Time. Even moreso with LMR.
Seconding this. It's not the 100% chance of creating an image like using a four-star skill, but overall it's damage, gauge, and utility for me.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Combo posted:

I've done and sub 30'd all but 2 of the 3* magicites (~35 seconds for golem and shadow dragon but i haven't tried again really) but what kind of decks should I be using for 4*? I've been kind of plugging like an imperil or interesting 3* as my primary and then whatever as secondary.
Imperils are the choice main magicites for offense (Shell Dragon, Hydra, Mom Bomb, Wendigo, Shadow Dragon for 3*) but you just have to feel out the fights to see if those are the best choice or if you need to go with a more defensive choice. For sub magicites just throw in whatever you have that's relevant for your team with empower element, dampen element, and stat boons.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Boo seifer lmr and ulticima overstrike

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm too scared of a pull like that to throw at this banner, and I desperately need a good ice weapon. Pulling for Squall USB2 seems like the heart of folly.

Although, pulling on fest banners with no dupes seemed bulletproof and they still ended in a sads. So maybe...maybe I should try the inverse?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fear is the mind killer. Always pull.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I just like Quistis so I'm gonna try and wait for the Quinoa banner around the next fest. It's a good ice banner, just two bursts on the banner (Squall, Laguna) and one of the first regular banners with 5 6* relics on it. Quistis USB or Glint would be nice for the VIII Torment too.

The worst pull on there (ignoring dupes) are getting the LMRs with nothing else, but as long as you have something decent for the character they're all good (two En-Ice LMRs for Squall and Rinoa, two dualcast BLK LMRs for Quistis and Rinoa).

Only reason I wouldn't is if the fest banners change a lot for the better, or my WoFF bias comes through and I pull for Lann, Reynn, Tama and Enna Kros.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bwah ha ha! Your weapons tickle!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Irrationally excited for this pull. Got squalls BSB2 and USB1 so that LM is drat appreciated. Already had rinoa for an ice chain but this is physical which means it synergizes a lot better with my ice team (Squall BSB2, Ayame BSB and Sora USB/AOSB)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fister Roboto posted:

Literally killed him a minute ago.

9999x8 tickles?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ceaselessfuture posted:

This is directed to noone in particular, but if you find yourself struggling with either 3 or 4* magicites, or struggling to sub-30, don't forget that your magicite deck is directly responsible for your performance. I was unable to sub-30 lots of 4*s until I got my decks in order, upon which I started blowing them out of the water.

Just last night I realized my Wind team wasn't doing as well as I knew they could. I was using 2x Isgebinds for the crit (I still haven't farmed Silver Dragons) and on a whim I swapped one for a level 99 Tiamat. Tiamat doesn't help PHY teams too much, but the Level 15 Wind Damage passive was enough, by itself, to make my team 4 seconds faster.

Magicite passives are the real deal friends!

So is it best to farm one element until you max it and then move onto the next?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So is it best to farm one element until you max it and then move onto the next?

It will certainly make things easier, but that's... not exactly something you can always do. For instance, if you have a really strong lightning and ice game but incredibly bad wind and earth, you might end up skipping from Tiamat to Kraken without actually defeating Midgardsormr or Ixion (or vice versa with Maliris/Isgebind). If you can farm an element, though, doing so will help you out quite considerably, especially in the cases of Tiamat, Isgebind, and Kraken, who are incredibly rough without solid defenses against their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, was just wondering the other day why Ultimecia hadn't popped up yet as a character. Or a boss I don't think. She should have an RM that turns all Cs into Ks. And Thunder God Kid would still wreck face.

Fister Roboto posted:

That made me laugh.