Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, I think a new TV. Found the oxygen plants but the icon is so teeny, it’s hard work.

Also lol

lmao the exact same bug happened to me, it even looked exactly the same as this

i dropped into some rando people's games and it seems like that is the pro funhaver way of seeing new planets real quick because you always jump into the system in your ship. you can just keep quitting and joining Random Games until you find a system with neato planets in it

i built my base in "their" game and haven't gone back yet so we'll see how that goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

All my upgrades turned into obsolete tech. Salvaged them but stupidly left them on my ship, when I went to a planet something shot me that I couldn't see and my ship crashed and i lost all the technology modules (worth over a million units). The rearranging of resources meant i didn't have any pulse engine fuel anymore or the stuff to refill grenades. Luckily asteroids still give the pulse engine resource but pirates also still come to gently caress up your crap after a few seconds of shooting asteroids. Later on I found a ship to trade for that has a Teleport module of some kind, the description made it sound like you would be able to teleport items to and from your ship from long distances. I couldn't tell that the distance had really increased at all, I was maybe a 15 second walk away from the ship and couldn't teleport items to it as usual. Also this ship had some other bug, I could not fire my weapon without hitting my own shield and had to waste all my sodium repairing the shield repeatedly. There were a bunch of other issues but I've forgotten them because these were annoying enough to turn me off again. Well, I probably would have kept going but it crashed my PS4 so I figured I should take that as a sign.

Oh yeah, one little other bug I remember is someone else's Blueprint Analyzer they had made was a Rusted Metal dispenser for me. Every time I clicked it I got Rusted Metal. I don't know what the hell that was about though I don't think I was losing anything in my inventory.

In short it's as broken and buggy as usual, though at least now you can suffer with someone together if you want. I guess I will try it with a new save another day but I hate being down to nearly no inventory slots again, ugh.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 25, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The game is a lot more visually pleasing to look at and they've made some big changes, but god drat I'm already doing the same exact things as I did at launch already and repeating the same grind. I even found almost the exact same snow planet with Gravitino balls everywhere to farm and sell to become rich.

My biggest issues:
- NPCs don't do poo poo, no one in this universe ever walks anywhere apparently or gets out of their ship when they dock. The universe feels so dead because of this.
- Crafting is confusing as poo poo because nearly everything you want to make has 4 other prerequisites for crafting, so you have to make a bunch of other poo poo to get whatever you want and then spend it immediately. This is loving dumb.
- The space combat is still miserable, and when it happens you're trapped in it and have to deal with whatever is attacking you. It sucks balls and they need to legitimately remove it until they can figure out something actually fun.

Do we get to customize ships this time?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So are there any tangible incentives for playing together in NEXT now? Like, as we get used to the game would there be any reason for us to claim a chunk of the galaxy as a goon star cluster or whatever ala EVE? I really like the idea of playing a space trucker in no mans sky and I feel like this update will be a Good Thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ringed planets are pretty dang cool

About 3 hours in to reach the antimatter recipe. Crafting is going to get really annoying really quick if they don't streamline some of it soon (or let mods handle it)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So the website says you can invite friends aboard your freighter. How does that work? I just wanna multicrew a ship and explore together.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any idea on how to quickly recover an archived base? The base terminal doesn't seem to work for that.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

FYI, it looks like the tutorial still breaks when you redeem your preorder dlc ship since it already has a hyperdrive.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Had to scan a colony of creatures that were so small they were barely visible to the naked eye even with 3x zoom on the scanner. I had to go into photo mode to make sure it wasn't just a bug (tee hee) that things were showing up to scan.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
so, no man's sky on pc is kind of a mess huh? i just bought it tonight.

i turned off vsync to try and fix the lovely frame rate (running this on an i7 with a 1070, but yeah, really bad frames), and it hard crashed to desktop. then steam wouldn't relaunch it. gets stuck on "preparing to launch." shut down steam, restart it, get it to run. turns out i lost about half an hour of progress. okay, fine, whatever, try to reload the autosave and see if that’s any further, hard crash to desktop again.

and steam is being fucky since it updated tonight.

:sigh:

e: yeah it seems applying any graphics updates with vsync off crashes it. :lol:

e2: finally managed to turn vsync back on and got a "restart required for changes to take effect" message, which i haven't seen before the earlier crashes, must be hanging there.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 25, 2018

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I played about 60 hours of this when it came out, put in maybe another hour or two with the last few updates (didn't really care much for them). Played tonight and I'm really digging this so far.

Love that the planet where it said to build my first base has "mellow" weather and is gorgeous. Oh, and it has SUPERHEATED RAINSTORMS from time to time, totally mellow lol.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elendil004 posted:

So the website says you can invite friends aboard your freighter. How does that work? I just wanna multicrew a ship and explore together.

You can only multicrew a freighter, not ships, so everyone will have to pilot their own personal ship.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

s.i.r.e. posted:

You can only multicrew a freighter, not ships, so everyone will have to pilot their own personal ship.

I am not sure what the difference is, I only played a few hours at launch. How does one get a freighter?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'd say they procgen has improved...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Played a few hours but holy poo poo I ran into something I wish they had playtested more. Normally I'm not retarded but I feel like some idiotproofing here would help.

Twice now I've accidentally passed up completely free upgrades. Once was the multi-tool and the second was the free freighter(!). While checking them out I hit the back button (right mouse or whatever) and somehow or other it just exited me out of the prompt entirely. None of their lovely "hold down your mouse to make sure you're really declining this offer" or anything, just exit out of conversation, no fancy upgrades no nothing.

Talking to the freighter dude allowed me to transfer my cargo over to him but the freighter doesn't shown as owned by me so... I just logged off for the night. Apparently the auto save was when I entered the system so I'll have to kill all the dumb pirates and hopefully not somehow decline free poo poo this time. :sigh:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Soul Glo posted:

so, no man's sky on pc is kind of a mess huh? i just bought it tonight.

i turned off vsync to try and fix the lovely frame rate (running this on an i7 with a 1070, but yeah, really bad frames), and it hard crashed to desktop. then steam wouldn't relaunch it. gets stuck on "preparing to launch." shut down steam, restart it, get it to run. turns out i lost about half an hour of progress. okay, fine, whatever, try to reload the autosave and see if that’s any further, hard crash to desktop again.

and steam is being fucky since it updated tonight.

:sigh:

e: yeah it seems applying any graphics updates with vsync off crashes it. :lol:

e2: finally managed to turn vsync back on and got a "restart required for changes to take effect" message, which i haven't seen before the earlier crashes, must be hanging there.

Weird. I have an i5 and a 1050 and I dont have any frame issues, with vsync on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pursuant to the pic I just posted yeah I'm on a planet with legit mountain ranges and forests and continents right now. It's also chill and safe to walk around on. Hop in my game if you want to check it out. I named the planet "65daysofweed"

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm surprised how big a difference tress make

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elendil004 posted:

I am not sure what the difference is, I only played a few hours at launch. How does one get a freighter?

You either buy a Freighter (expensive as poo poo) or you get far enough into the story and you're given one for free. I don't have one, but the Freighter is basically just a "Hub" ship, you can dock your one seater ship in it and warp places with it. It's like... and aircraft carrier and the smaller ships are the fighter planes. In multiplayer the Freighter can hold your ship and your friend's ships but the Freighter itself stays in space, out of the atmosphere and doesn't land. So in order for you and friends to get to planets you all have to board your own ship and fly down.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So I'm stuck on a space station with no launch fuel and no-one is selling di-hydrogen so I can craft it.

...I think I'm screwed.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

PunkBoy posted:

So I'm stuck on a space station with no launch fuel and no-one is selling di-hydrogen so I can craft it.

...I think I'm screwed.

Launching from a station or any other landing platform doesn't cost anything.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dootman posted:

Launching from a station or any other landing platform doesn't cost anything.

Oh well now I feel dumb. :doh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know what the gently caress they think they were doing with the frigate repair gameplay but I'd love to hear what they thought they were.

So I send my frigate out to do a mission it gets damaged and has to retreat and abort the mission. Then it is damaged and I need to land and run around to 3 different parts of it and repair it. First repair requires 20 gold which is easy enough. The next one wants 5 platinum which I can make from tritium except you can't use your refinery in space, the last one wants 50 pure ferrite which again I can't get in space. Just tell me what you need ahead of time and don't make me run around it's pointless and zero fun.

Doing this one time and it becomes exceedingly obvious how terrible a mechanic it is.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is anyone playing on the original version of the Xbox One? I’m kinda interested but not 100% sure yet.

I played for a couple hours with no problems. Loading times are a little slow and the game hitches a little in places but it's perfectly playable (so far).

Why did those little drones that follow you around suddenly start attacking me? I thought they were chill and then I suddenly got attacked while collecting some stuff with that mining laser. Do you have to avoid them while mining stuff?

Also how do you manually save? I tried to exit the game and was warned that I would lose 7 mins of progress but I don't see a manual save button anywhere.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Also how do you manually save?

Jump in and out of your ship, the game saves every time you exit your ship.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Really hoping there's a way to get back up to speed with the old saves now that they junked the old upgrades, I don't really want to have to search out another 48 slot ship or 24 slot multi tool. Sucks to have 70 hours go down the drain almost. Also I have a stack of 200 nanite clusters from before that I can't seem to add to my balance and that seems lovely.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I decided to give this a whirl and reinstall since apparently the new patch makes it a lot better or something. After 5 minutes of LOADING SHADERS it finally dropped me into a world which was admittedly from what little I saw way more pretty than anything I ever saw back on launch. I then noticed the game was running in 1080p, so I went into the options and changed it to my monitor's default 1440p, and the game crashed. :downs:

Also I didn't actually walk around enough to verify but from what I could tell it appeared the game had dropped me in a super cold world with no protections on survival mode, and I started the tutorial freezing to death. Good stuff.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The whole loading shaders thing will only happen after a patch or driver update. Every time either of those things change they have to be rebuilt, but only once.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, played for about six hours today and if you didn't like the loop beforehand, you still won't like it. I guess I just wish there were more quality of life features. Mining stuff to power your multitool to mine different stuff and then having to hoof it all over the place to find different stuff to recharge other things... It still feels largely like inventory management. Maybe I'll restart on creative...

Edit: Anybody getting the underground relics to work correctly? Unlike the underground technology, which has the tag remain stationary on your map, the relic tags float around and disappear when you start digging in the general area. Tried a few, haven't been able to unearth one due to not knowing where the gently caress I should be digging.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 25, 2018

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

xilni posted:

You get a welfare one as part of the tutorial so there’s that

What about for someone who beat the original Atlas path and was grinding units before getting bored? Is there some way to get myself one short of continuing to grind?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Their decision to triple down on the crafting aspects is a perplexing one. I can no longer just toss raw plutonium into my thrusters - now I need to craft an item (and one of the required ingredients also must be crafted)?

instead of just mining for metal you get metal dust which must be refined into better dust which can be further refined into really drat good dust. can you build metal plates with refined metal dust? no, ridiculous, you must use unrefined dust!

Argh! If you're going to make a crafting game at least give it a good UI! I have to press X to select my refinery fuel, yet I must press Triangle to transform the input from my inventory. I must use on-screen arrow keys to either incrementally add / subtract a single input or add / subtract all of them, then it's Square (but this time you hold it) to start the process and it's back to X to transfer to your inventory even though we just used Triangle to transfer moments ago

Well, those are the parts I hate. The improved proc gen stuff is a lot of fun, the clouds are cool and space feels more interesting. I'm only about 2 hours into the story and I like how much more effort is in showing off every aspect of the game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, you really do get your freighter early. All I had to do was warp into a system where one was under attack and defend it, the guys attacking were wimps, and now I have a freighter at 6 hours in :stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I see that hunting down the last animal on a planet is still as infuriating as ever.

Edit: I do like that I can make my head an electric dynamo though.

Edit2: Btw, if you get a location for a downed freighter, go do it asap. The one I got had like 6 buried containers that gave me around 200k in cash, and 3 items worth around 400k each.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 25, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Korvax looks at you and shrugs.

code:
TAKE MY PIECE OF poo poo SHIP.  IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK LMAO.  DEUCES!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Or you can seek out Ancient Ruins and find stuff like this I guess

Keep in mind I'm still less than 4 hours in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the crafting and resource getting is more difficult than it was. It feels a bit more grind-y with a hell of a lot more running around since the resource amounts you get per rock/tree/crystal seem to have been slashed in half. Plants seem a lot hardier too, with a tree taking me three full long blasts (right up to overheat) to take down, and then getting about half the carbon I’d expect back.

Changing easily grabbable plutonium to having to craft launch fuel is a massive pain in the arse now, and I wonder if they’ve done that on purpose to make you wander around more.

Gathering carbon to build the wooden walls of my shack was annoying because despite the sentinel presence on my planet being ‘relaxed’, every time I was blasting down a tree, one would suddenly appear and start scanning me and then get aggressive. This one is a paradise planet, but the planet I started on was a toxic hellworld, and I found a crop of gravity globe plants. I managed to pick two without even thinking before two small sentinels and a laser puppy rocked up out of nowhere. And this was before I’d even got my ship repaired.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what does the % number under the upgrade modules mean? is that the modifier it gives or is it the price variation of the module? it's weird because some are like green quality and have % modifiers equivalent to yellow quality ones

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The extra step of having to craft fuel pales in comparison to how much more efficient the crafted item is than plutonium.

The blue rocks are about as common as plutonium was.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I tried loading up my old save and my base, and everything in, on and near it is gone. On the bright side, I still have a rad spaceship. And I found a freighter for cheap. And all the old technology I have is worth a shitload apparently? Still unsure if I should start over or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Petition to change thread title to "Just Start Over"