Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh good lord, it is simple. He uses the water as a swamp cooler. Compound AC baby.

OK, now I want to try using two marginal window AC units compounded to get freezing temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I need new suspension and tires on the sequoia at the same time. Since I can't leave poo poo well enough alone, I'm going to lift it 1.75" and run 33's.
What 33" tires should I run? I don't really want to buy both summer and winter tires right now, so it has to be something that's good for the snow (at least when they're new, I'll buy winters next year), decent for offroading, and not TOO loud on the interstate.
I understand this is a compromise and I'm ok with that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BFG KO2

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. The radials are absolute trash, but I'm thrilled with Duratracs I bought 5 years ago. I'm currently debating on replacing them with another set in 33".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Am running these on my Jeep, honestly you aren't sacrificing much in the way of "highway behavior" with these to begin with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Am running these on my Jeep, honestly you aren't sacrificing much in the way of "highway behavior" with these to begin with.

Yep. I've run NEFR on mine twice and they are great in the snow. There is some road noise, but it's not anything annoying.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. The radials are absolute trash, but I'm thrilled with Duratracs I bought 5 years ago. I'm currently debating on replacing them with another set in 33".

Love my Duratracs I'll be getting another set when these wear out. Much more popular here (Manitoba) than KO2's for some reason which I've also heard lots of good things about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sirr0bin posted:

Love my Duratracs I'll be getting another set when these wear out. Much more popular here (Manitoba) than KO2's for some reason which I've also heard lots of good things about.

I've always heard that basically these are the two choices and neither are wrong.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The two choices are KO2s or Grabber AT2s. gently caress a Duratrac.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The tread on Duratrac tires have much better looking siping for snow than the K02 (I don't have an experience with either, just looking at the pictures...). I have used general grabbers on trucks before and they always have terrible tread life.

My dad plows with Geolandar a/t tires on his truck and they do loving amazing. They're a bit cheaper than duratrac, but also don't look as good for offroad.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I didnt get as good life out of my KO2’s as I did out of my original KO’s (as in 30k kms less life!) on my heavy landcruiser. I’ve gone to Toyo Open Country AT II’s and they’ve been great. Quiet tyre, well behaved, good off-road and I’m on track to get 80k kms out of em.

The other option if you want something a bit more aggressive but not a full blown mud is the Toyo RT.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just got some cool poo poo in the mail that I'm really excited about but imgur is dicking me. When I click on the circle at the top right of the page in imgur, then in the drop down click Images, I get the "Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn." message.
It used to bring me to all my albums, then I could select one to upload pictures into. imgur has been doing this for a while now, can anyone tell me how to upload pictures to my Sequoia album??

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I use the imgur extension for chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-community-extension/ehoopddfhgaehhmphfcooacjdpmbjlao

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I installed the firefox extension since I don't like chrome, then magically it started working correctly :iiam:

I got home to a heavy box on my doorstep.

I work 12 hour days and I'm really tired and lazy, so I rolled it down to the garage.

Big expensive pile of fun on my bench:

I like that these are teal. Not sure why, but I do.

These welds are only slightly more confidence inspiring than Bilstein...

Tires are supposed to be here Thursday, I should be able to mount them this weekend. I actually have some semblance of free time this weekend so maybe I'll be mall crawling by next week.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I didn't really take too many pictures because I was pissed off throughout most of this job. Seriously, never do rear suspension on a sequoia, it's miserable.

Anyway, to be chronologically accurate, I came home to a pile of tires late last week.

I got Duratracs because there are generally two camps people fall into with these tires. Either:
"OMG I love them so much they're amazing, the wear really great, they're good in snow, not too loud, blah blah blah here are all the reasons I love them!!!!"
Or:
"NEVER BUY DURATRACS THEY'RE TERRIBLE gently caress THOSE THINGS BUY <insert cheapest tire available> INSTEAD!!!!"

The haters never have a reason for hating, they can't ever justify why they think duratracs are worse than something else. Then you read more of their posts and you start to realize they're butthurt they can't afford duratracs so they just resort to hating.

Moving on...
I started on the rear since I knew the rear was going to be a pain, but HOLY loving poo poo I wasn't prepared for what a miserable oval office it was going to be.
There's half an inch between the top of the shock and the body, it's drat near impossible to see up in there, and of course it's a rusty piece of poo poo. I got really lucky the nuts didn't round off either back shock. I used the grinder to make a flat spot on the piston so I could grab it with visegrips, then I hurfed on the top nuts until they broke off. Perfect.

Getting the rears back together was fairly uneventful, but the whole end took me loving HOURS.
Also I can't fit the 33" tires in the stock spare tire area. The front end of the tire hits the track bar, the other end hits the trailer hitch. Without the hitch it would probably fit. I'll get another wheel and tire for offroad trips and just rotate it in. For normal use, the stock spare is good enough.

Then I went to go and do the front. I thought it would be easy. first off I didn't realize it had tophats on the struts, I guess I didn't really think about how the fronts went together.
It is abundantly obvious whoever put these struts in (probably when the frame was being replaced) didn't have the axles installed. I had to hammer a prybar under the eye and jack the control arm up so the bolt would clear the axle. loving bullshit.

I started on the left side, two of the three tophat nuts came off easily, one rounded off. The one that's loving impossible to get to.

The picture doesn't make it look too bad, but the one on the back left doesn't even have clearance for a socket wrench, can't get the sawzall in there, can't get the grinder in there.
I put spring clamps on the spring, but couldn't really do a good job on car. Took the grinder, and cut the other two studs off and the top bolt on the strut. You know when you know something is a bad idea but you're going to do it anyway? Yea, I had a lot of that feeling.

Then I took the only tool that fit in the space, a hacksaw... Got the job done.

The loving thing is finally loving out.

I had to go to the store and buy lovely tophats for more than good ones cost online. That's what I get for being a dumbass and not actually looking at what I needed for the job before starting.

Compressing the new front springs was really loving hairy. The coils are too big for my clamps to fit into so I couldn't insert the pins. You can also see the threads are bending. I think when I took this picture I still had to compress another inch or so.
The only thing that saved me was I sent a snapchat asking everyone to pucker their rear end in a top hat for me. Cursedshitbox did such a good pucker all the way from the west coast I didn't die.

I couldn't get the control arm down far enough to get the new strut all the way in. I even sat on the hub and wasn't heavy enough so I took the jack out of my metro (which I think belongs to either an outback or forester), and put it to work. I think I've used this style twisty jack for stupid poo poo more often than I have for lifting cars.

I had to push the door ALL THE WAY up and clamp it off with visegrips...

And this thing, all transformed, barely managed to emerge from its cocoon.

Seems to handle a bit better with actual sidewalls, not gummy piece of poo poo snow tires I bought for $400 on ebay.
It also seems quieter than said lovely tires, although I haven't had it on the interstate yet. I'll drive it to work for the next few days to make sure everything is good. I have a camping trip next weekend, so I gotta proof it out. With a 60 mile round trip a day, I'll know pretty quick if something is hosed.

EDIT: This is all thanks to bilstein sending me garbage. I should sue them for this.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 12, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I can afford Duratracs and I don't like them. :colbert:

They can be hard to balance, especially when you're in the 18-20" or greater wheel size range or going with the 10ply heavy load variant. Something like a 325/75R20 is gonna be around or above the maximum of what the average big box store shop balancer can handle. Also, here in Canada you don't need to be licensed to mount and balance tires, so imagine how well-balanced a set of Duratracs is likely to be when it's coming from a Canadian Tire that pays its tire guy $14/h + $1 per vehicle and the machine tells him to put 30+oz on each wheel.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Obviously Toyota used the same retarded rear shock mount on the sequoia as they do on the 100 and 200 series. On the 80 and 105 they have a little plate that’s held on with two M8 bolts from underneath. Undo them and the whole top shock mount pulls down out of the chassis and you take the top bolt off on the bench...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

They can be hard to balance, especially when you're in the 18-20" or greater wheel size range or going with the 10ply heavy load variant. Something like a 325/75R20 is gonna be around or above the maximum of what the average big box store shop balancer can handle. Also, here in Canada you don't need to be licensed to mount and balance tires, so imagine how well-balanced a set of Duratracs is likely to be when it's coming from a Canadian Tire that pays its tire guy $14/h + $1 per vehicle and the machine tells him to put 30+oz on each wheel.

I'm not licensed to balance tires, either. This is how I balance tires that make the machine jump off the floor. Put about half the weight on it suggests and hit GO again. You kinda just have to work toward the end goal, you'll eventually get it balanced. Only one took excessive weight, that wheel always takes excessive weight, so...
I haven't had it over about 45mph yet, we'll see if traffic isn't a shitshow how it goes to work today :v:

Ferremit posted:

Obviously Toyota used the same retarded rear shock mount on the sequoia as they do on the 100 and 200 series. On the 80 and 105 they have a little plate that’s held on with two M8 bolts from underneath. Undo them and the whole top shock mount pulls down out of the chassis and you take the top bolt off on the bench...

Do you know how the loving bump stops inside the springs are held on? They look for all the world like they're glued in.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

I couldn't get the control arm down far enough to get the new strut all the way in. I even sat on the hub and wasn't heavy enough so I took the jack out of my metro (which I think belongs to either an outback or forester), and put it to work. I think I've used this style twisty jack for stupid poo poo more often than I have for lifting cars.

lol. One of the more interesting uses for this was separating the tub of a maytag washer off of the driveshaft.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

So the worst wheel took 4oz, which I thought was excessive, but it rides really smooth at 90. Tires are quieter than the really sad snow tires, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

chrisgt posted:

And this thing, all transformed, barely managed to emerge from its cocoon.

Where's Godzilla when we need him?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

chrisgt posted:

I'm not licensed to balance tires, either. This is how I balance tires that make the machine jump off the floor. Put about half the weight on it suggests and hit GO again. You kinda just have to work toward the end goal, you'll eventually get it balanced. Only one took excessive weight, that wheel always takes excessive weight, so...
I haven't had it over about 45mph yet, we'll see if traffic isn't a shitshow how it goes to work today :v:

Do you know how the loving bump stops inside the springs are held on? They look for all the world like they're glued in.

There’s a bolt and washer up the guts of them that go into a captive nut in the chassis on the top of the spring perch....

Which can be undone on mine, but is possibly a giant lump of iron oxide for you...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ferremit posted:

There’s a bolt and washer up the guts of them that go into a captive nut in the chassis on the top of the spring perch....

Which can be undone on mine, but is possibly a giant lump of iron oxide for you...

There's a one inch home through the middle of the whole thing, so I know there isn't a bolt down the center...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think the balance problem is a Goodyear thing. When I use to wrench on cars for money I did lots of tire mounting/balancing and Goodyears were always the problem tires. Not sure why but there's some anecdotal evidence for you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, all I got is anecdotal from when I worked at CT. Total Terrains, KO2s, Grabbers, etc. never got so much as a peep of complaint from the tire guys, but Duratracs and Winter Nordics would almost always made them gripe.

While I got nothing to counter the Grabber AT2's lack of tread life, I find their off-road performance to be on par with or better than KO2s, especially when sidewall lugs come into play.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Duratracs are great tread pattern but according to all the Jeep guys I used to wheel with, including ones who used to own duratracs, the sidewalls are about as puncture resistant as a banana peel.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Duratracs are great tread pattern but according to all the Jeep guys I used to wheel with, including ones who used to own duratracs, the sidewalls are about as puncture resistant as a banana peel.

I hope they have better traction than one :)

I did notice the sidewalls are kinda soft. I'm not planning on any really hard core wheeling, but I'll definitely keep it in mind to be careful about sliding sideways into sharp poo poo.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think the balance problem is a Goodyear thing. When I use to wrench on cars for money I did lots of tire mounting/balancing and Goodyears were always the problem tires. Not sure why but there's some anecdotal evidence for you.
Do you think this is likely confirmation bias? Goodyear is the 3rd largest tire manufacturer and perhaps most iconic or memorable in the US.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do you think this is likely confirmation bias? Goodyear is the 3rd largest tire manufacturer and perhaps most iconic or memorable in the US.

Well Goodyear own BF Goodrich tyres too and I’ve NEVER had a set of them that balance up nicely. Same rims, same Tyre size and my toyo mud terrains were on there with 10-20g per Tyre. Change to bfg and they’re up to 100-200g per Tyre

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Well Goodyear own BF Goodrich tyres too and I’ve NEVER had a set of them that balance up nicely. Same rims, same Tyre size and my toyo mud terrains were on there with 10-20g per Tyre. Change to bfg and they’re up to 100-200g per Tyre
If Wikipedia is accurate, Michellin owns BF Goodrich.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The only one that took a lot of weight for me (which was only 4oz), was the wheel that always takes a lot of weight.
I dunno if it's bent, cast poorly, whatever. But that wheel always takes a lot of weight in about the same spot every time I balance it.
Otherwise they took between 1 and 2 oz which honestly doesn't seem that excessive for 33's.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Crotch Fruit posted:

If Wikipedia is accurate, Michellin owns BF Goodrich.

That is correct.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I was a little hesitant to post this because I know you guys are going to tell me I'm a loving idiot, but I already know that so here we go.

With the bigger tires I have some rubbing at full lock, a little bit on the frame and a lot bit on the upper control arms.
I'm not sure what to do about the frame. I could attack it with the angle grinder or a BFH or something, but I can't bring myself to molest the beautiful piece of art Toyota so kindly installed. There are only about 100k miles on the frame, it's not rusty, and it still has the factory paint. The tires BARELY rub at full lock so I'll just wait until the sidelugs are worn down and it'll be fine.

The real problem I had was the upper control arms, they have a bow out that rubbed really bad. I took the grinder to them and made it better, but I was kinda making them thin. So I went and just cut out the section that rubbed on the tires.

All fixed, no more rubbing.
Now for some CAD.

Now go and mill the part out of billet hot rolled flat stock.

And finally run down some dank beads.

It's no instagram bead, but it'll do the job. I'm too lazy/cheap to deal with gas, so I weld everything with flux core. The top weld came out kinda shaky because a moth (thankfully not THAT moth) flew into my welding helmet.

Now the tires don't rub on the UCAs. This weekend I'm going camping and have about 500 miles of driving; if I'm not in the Bangor Daily by Monday morning this poo poo held just fine. If I am, well, dance on my grave and say "I told you so."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
volley the fucker off some potholes and speed humps. see if it holds. Is there any tube bro-ey upgrades for it? Welds look fine, it'll hold. Nice catch on saving your tires too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, poo poo happens, been there done that but usually I just pound on poo poo with a BFH until it clears the tires :v:

Good job on the control arm, don't sweat it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That’s better than the effort I saw where someone took an oxy torch to the arm, got it cherry red and pounded the poo poo out of it with a hammer to clear tyres!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ferremit posted:

That’s better than the effort I saw where someone took an oxy torch to the arm, got it cherry red and pounded the poo poo out of it with a hammer to clear tyres!

I'm not a welding (or blacksmithing) guy, but wouldn't that do unwanted things to the hardness of the steel?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably quenched it with some some container of used motor oil.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:lol: if you think that the average 4x4 enthusiast considers anything like the effects of welding on hardened metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I'm not a welding (or blacksmithing) guy, but wouldn't that do unwanted things to the hardness of the steel?

If it was a mild steel bracket that did nothing... no issue.

A high strength steel fabricated control arm? Probably not so good...

The amount of dumb as gently caress poo poo that floats across the Facebook group pages for 4wd’s is mind numbing