Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
How soon is it expected that people can create or transfer characters to Excalibur? I have some friends that I've been trying to recruit as completely new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Magil Zeal posted:

Going by the Job Guide DRK lost 7 actions and gained 7 actions*, not counting role actions. So more of a wash? Main thing is no more double weaving Dark Arts.

*Though more like 5 actions since the X of Shadow skills upgrade the X of Darkness skills.

It didn't even straight up lose 7, some of them are repurposed into other abilities. Like Darkside is gone as a button, but it's a buff now. So we didn't really lose anything there. Considering there is no damage decrease from tank stance, it's now straight bonus damage all the time now. We functionally lost one thing, Sole Survivor, as that functionality isn't really in any of our other stuff. That's it. We lost one thing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New Job titles (no difference between male/female on these, GNB and DNC have their 70, too):
https://i.imgur.com/0CqPSPy.png

SonicRulez posted:

Please no more freebies. Not a call out or intended disrespect. I just don't want anybody getting antsy.
Fair enough, I just figured that since the fight was a bullet point and at least one of the launch Savages has weapons, it wasn't something that would be unexpected, per se.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just ignore the brain geniouses who've figured out how the classes are going to play based on skimming the job description pages. unless they're complaining about healers losing damage. then they're right.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mulva posted:

It didn't even straight up lose 7, some of them are repurposed into other abilities. Like Darkside is gone as a button, but it's a buff now. So we didn't really lose anything there. Considering there is no damage decrease from tank stance, it's now straight bonus damage all the time now. We functionally lost one thing, Sole Survivor, as that functionality isn't really in any of our other stuff. That's it. We lost one thing.

Yeah I was more or less just confused by the whole "DRK lost half their buttons" thing. Even if someone cares at all about having Darkside and Dark Arts as actual buttons it still doesn't add up.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

PLD looks like it got more complex and GNB looks like it'd be slightly more complex compared to the other tanks in SB. The main loss is the aggro combos but you never wanted to use them anyways if you could at all help it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hogama posted:

New Job titles (no difference between male/female on these, GNB and DNC have their 70, too):
https://i.imgur.com/0CqPSPy.png

Fair enough, I just figured that since the fight was a bullet point and at least one of the launch Savages has weapons, it wasn't something that would be unexpected, per se.

Machinist definitely wins here.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A lot of them are real real good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Of course MCH only gets the good title once it gets gutted :argh:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Of course MCH only gets the good title once it gets gutted :argh:

that's a weird way of spelling "made easier to play and given a kickass fuckin robot"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

holy gently caress :krad:

Mulva posted:

i mean that's a little disingenuous. maybe in terms of buttons lost to buttons gained it's nothing but from the looks and sounds of things the class plays considerably differently now. most notably, slower

everyone can meme a lot about dark arts weaving but for someone looking for a high activity tank it felt great, and they're losing that

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know about everybody else, but I couldn't handle dark arts weaving all the time, maybe I just had a bad hotkey setup but it made my hands cramp up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

this is the first time i've been excited for an mmo expansion since burning crusade

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know about everybody else, but I couldn't handle dark arts weaving all the time, maybe I just had a bad hotkey setup but it made my hands cramp up.

Same here. I'm really hype for DRK now though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
We get more instant abilities and the ability to use our current instant abilities more. Will it be one to one button pressing? No. Will you still be hitting buttons? Yes. What's the difference? Nothing to very, very slight.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

holy gently caress :krad:

i mean that's a little disingenuous. maybe in terms of buttons lost to buttons gained it's nothing but from the looks and sounds of things the class plays considerably differently now. most notably, slower

everyone can meme a lot about dark arts weaving but for someone looking for a high activity tank it felt great, and they're losing that

Yeah, but it’s not like DA was complex. I feel like GNB basically stole it though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, but its not like DA was complex. I feel like GNB basically stole it though.

i'd never argue it was complex, just that hitting more buttons = feels gooderer. continuation is why i'm looking forward to gnb after being so hot and heavy on drk since the start of the year

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section 9 posted:

How soon is it expected that people can create or transfer characters to Excalibur? I have some friends that I've been trying to recruit as completely new players.

this is the worst possible time to try that. you might be better off rolling on a different server and transferring later. other than that they're going to be up at 3am trying to snag a spot

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://twitter.com/Yurensohn/status/1144332611885641730

drk will still be hitting buttons very fastly

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Blast of Confetti posted:

this is the worst possible time to try that. you might be better off rolling on a different server and transferring later. other than that they're going to be up at 3am trying to snag a spot

Ok, but is it expected that it'll be like a week, or several months?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

that's a weird way of spelling "made easier to play and given a kickass fuckin robot"

I'm known for my extremely bad opinions, yes.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Tanks lost most of the poo poo busywork not complexity there’s a big difference. This also means it’s going to be harder for idiot tanks to be trash in duty finder too. I’m glad we don’t have to throw out aggro combos and waste hotbar space on them and I’m glad I don’t need to waste a hotbar slot of stance dancing anymore.

It sucked running content with sams and rdms that never managed their aggro and forced you to stop dpsing and grab it back. Also isn’t GNB fairly complicated? To be honest I’m not reading the salty theory crafters poo poo until a week after the games out and we can see how it works in practice. They’ve talked a lot about throwing in new mechanics and other poo poo which is where I prefer difficulty to come in personally.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just noticed the job guide icon legend has a rear cone icon. Is there a skill that actually goes out as a rear cone?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Algid posted:

Just noticed the job guide icon legend has a rear cone icon. Is there a skill that actually goes out as a rear cone?
Passage of Arms.

~Some more datamine stuff~

Gunbreaker weapon list.
https://i.imgur.com/nyFPuMl.png
Dancer weapon list.
https://i.imgur.com/DjhNsSZ.png

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Would like to hear why you think WoW is bad now. I too recently started playing it again because BfA sounded cool. Finally, Horde v Alliance. The game still looks like it's in 2009 though, and I can't really get over it.

Goon Squad has an entire whining thread for it but for me:
- All queueable content is trivial and unrewarding, pugging non-queueable content feels almost discouraged. Have friends, or suffer.
- Specifically, a lot of M+ is a toxic hellhole, which really hurts me because in principle I like M+. You can claw your way out of it to the Good Pug Zone every season, but it's a huge loving pain.
- The story is an incoherent shouty mess and the faction conflict is the worst trash where everyone acts like a moron, and not the good Alphinaud kind of moron.
- I've played wow for 15 years. Boffa is a very backwards-looking expansion even for wow. Systems and mechanics-wise there's very little fresh new stuff.
- Turns out having a hard global region split in a game really loving sucks when you move 9 timezones.

There's a certain type of heavy metal spectacle that wow still does very well and I enjoy checking out the new things when there's a patch but a lot of what the game has done with M+, loot, etc recently is just not much fun. I also really dislike that so much of the design really encourages more experienced players to avoid playing with less experienced players at all costs, which just seems like a horrible idea if you want to engender any sort of community.

FF14's main advantage is really that it's just much nicer. I barely ever encounter any jerks, people are patient, barely anyone treats the tank misspulling and causing a wipe like the social order just collapsed and the world descended into anarchy. It's a lot like playing a fun game with decent people, really. I'd probably be less sour on Boffa if I could play it with friends but, well, 9 hour time diff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Choyi posted:

Yep, tanks the already easiest to play role got even easier in ShB.

And yet people will still be too afraid to play it lmao.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah the rudest people I've met in FF14 are just like, people who silently drop from PF primal farm groups which........ yeah, okay, fair enough.

The game itself demands a lot more patience so I suspect that bleeds over into multiplayer content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

Gunbreaker weapon list.
Dancer weapon list.
I wonder if that's the entire list because the lowest they show are level 60 weapons from Diadem (:laffo:), PotD (easy since they already have to make glowy weapons for inside the place) and shire gear, but not even level 60 raid- and primal weapons (and as expected, level 50 primal weapons are out too).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not having a forced split between half the playerbase helps a lot too, as does making it easy (and regular) for newbies to group with experienced players, letting you commend people in groups, not having cross-team chat in PVP, etc. There's always going to be toxic assholes but FFXIV does everything it can to encourage cooperation instead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

orcane posted:

I wonder if that's the entire list because the lowest they show are level 60 weapons from Diadem (:laffo:), PotD (easy since they already have to make glowy weapons for inside the place) and shire gear, but not even level 60 raid- and primal weapons (and as expected, level 50 primal weapons are out too).

I really hope that's not the full list because I farmed up 16 alexandrian tomes to get weapons and 20 extra Seiryu totems for 70 so they better be there. :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Minrad posted:

yeah the rudest people I've met in FF14 are just like, people who silently drop from PF primal farm groups which........ yeah, okay, fair enough.

The game itself demands a lot more patience so I suspect that bleeds over into multiplayer content.
The game is also significantly less competitive-focused. Like, the opportunities for people to be a dick to others can boil down to fit on one hand: verbal abuse, systems annoyance (vote kick, macro spam, Rescue abuse etc.), marketboard pvp and hunt mark shenangians.

Even the actual PvP is fairly benign.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Setting an alarm for 3 hours from now :sigh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Eimi posted:

I really hope that's not the full list because I farmed up 16 alexandrian tomes to get weapons and 20 extra Seiryu totems for 70 so they better be there. :argh:

And I bought mats to make Horde and Goddess weapons! :doh: At least I can still get Shire and Scaevan weapons, as well as Ryumaku, which I also grabbed some tokens for.

Also, are we just straight skipping iLvl 420 gear?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Hogama posted:

Passage of Arms.

Gunbreaker weapon list.
Dancer weapon list.

Oh my God is that a club gunblade?

A motherfucking gunclub!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I wanted to get Garuda chakrams :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Intoluene posted:

I wanted to get Garuda chakrams :smith:
If there's the demand they might patch them in?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

If there's the demand they might patch them in?

Didn't SAM and RDM Warring Triad weapons get patched in?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Intoluene posted:

Didn't SAM and RDM Warring Triad weapons get patched in?

They did, so GNB and DNC weapons will likely get added in later.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I remembered this site from back at Stormblood prelaunch and it's still there and updated with Shadowbringers models, if you want to fool around and look at new gear.
https://ffxiv.dlunch.net/model.html?language=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From the team themselves, the lyrics to Shadowbringers:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002805.html