Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I do think it might play worse with people who are more familiar with the other times DC have tried to milk the property. I was telling a friend about a thing that happens and they were like, "Oh that sounds like something in Before Watchmen" and it turned them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I enjoyed it but it has that same fanficcy vibe that accompanies all expansions on Alan Moore's work. I think I'll enjoy it more if I disassociate it from the comic and think of it more as a 'what if' story.

To paraphrase Moore: they're all what if stories.

I think if you're going to do a Watchmen show this is the best way to do it. It's not fetishizing the characters or setting and seems to have something new to say. Going to reserve judgement until a few eps in, but I hope this continues to be very loosely be related to the source material.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
My wife and I watched this and are completely invested in it, despite neither of us being comic book superhero fans. It helps that we both really enjoyed Lindelof's previous work like Lost and The Leftovers and the way his shows just throw you into these established worlds without much explanation.

So what was the deal with the man in the wheelchair? Was he dead at the end? Did he string up the police chief? We couldn't figure that one out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kodo posted:

My wife and I watched this and are completely invested in it, despite neither of us being comic book superhero fans. It helps that we both really enjoyed Lindelof's previous work like Lost and The Leftovers and the way his shows just throw you into these established worlds without much explanation.

So what was the deal with the man in the wheelchair? Was he dead at the end? Did he string up the police chief? We couldn't figure that one out.

He was alive, and you’re not supposed to know quite what’s going on just yet. He’s also the boy from the beginning.

Considering the 7th Kavalry are white supremacists though it’s probably not a simple matter of him being a member.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

e.: nvm, enjoy whatever you want to enjoy

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 22, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol shut up nerd

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alan Moore was okay.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This score is the best thing Trent has put out since Hesitation Marks

and I was skeptical of this show being anything other than a half-hearted cash grab by HBO now that Game of Thrones is radioactive trash but I am in for the costuming alone

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Who gives a poo poo what someone said in an interview? Watch the show and make up your mind. Or don't.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

From the trailers there's obviously a Cult of Rorschach. Count me on that side of the situations.

lol

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ah, I was worried this show wouldn't be provocative enough to enrage the sad contingent of Alan Moore fanboys, but I'm glad to see I was wrong!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 22, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i think it is wrong to take characters from a beloved story by a beloved author and use them to your own ends

what, no i love extraordinary league of gentleman, what does that have to do with anything?

edit: lost girls nope never heard of it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DC Murderverse posted:

i think it is wrong to take characters from a beloved story by a beloved author and use them to your own ends

what, no i love extraordinary league of gentleman, what does that have to do with anything?

My favorite part of all this is that Moore himself doesn't seem to give the slightest poo poo about the show. Like most things in his life he seems to just treat it with generic 'will this bother me loving off and doing drugs in the woods and loving? Then whatever who gives a poo poo?' Imagine being more offended at a story using an IP than the actual IP's creator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

What about Marvelman, Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Watchmen?

EDIT: I guess you said beloved, while his career is spent trawling through trash they’ll let him do whatever with. Except Charlton comics, I guess. They were too valuable.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 22, 2019

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I loved Lost and Leftovers unapologetically and I am all in on this.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What about Marvelman, Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Watchmen?

EDIT: I guess you said beloved, while his career is spent trawling through trash they’ll let him do whatever with. Except Charlton comics, I guess. They were too valuable.

He's obviously being facetious, making fun of that guy who deleted his own posts (which I presume were about tainting Alan Moore's sacred legacy of being weird as gently caress).

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Can't help but notice the brief Dr. Manhattan cameo castle he was making looked a LOT like Veidt's mansion.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Can’t believe I didn’t hate that.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

To paraphrase Moore: they're all what if stories.

I think if you're going to do a Watchmen show this is the best way to do it. It's not fetishizing the characters or setting and seems to have something new to say. Going to reserve judgement until a few eps in, but I hope this continues to be very loosely be related to the source material.

It's clear the title is filling two critical roles here:

First, and most importantly: prestige. This seems like a show that probably could have been made as its own intellectual property (none of the main characters are from the comic?), but no executive is putting their chips behind a superhero show without some sort of cultural cache. If buying the rights lets Lindelof make his superhero drama of choice, so be it. In fact, it probably gives him a bit more creative freedom to pull off things like that utterly fantastic opening scene.

Second, and more interestingly: a universe/base of themes to build off. It's not hard to see how the show's gonna address the same basic question of how hosed up do things get if you try to make superheroes '"real," and I think its a great choice to essentially use the original Watchmen and their story in the same basic way the comic series treated the Minutemen.

The Leftovers elevated itself to one of my top three favorite shows of all time once it stopped treating the source material as story and started treating it as background. The fact that Lindelof jumped immediately to that starting point has me INCREDIBLY high on the potential of this show.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 22, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Nohman posted:

Can't help but notice the brief Dr. Manhattan cameo castle he was making looked a LOT like Veidt's mansion.

I noticed this and in the season preview You can see Sister Nights kid building a model of the same castle

I also noticed on my rewatch that Veidt called his servants the "leading roles" of his play, which goes with the theory they are clones of Osterman and Janey and he is trying to make another Dr. Manhattan

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Also of note if you read the supplemental material from that site, according to the newspaper article obit, Veidt's fortunes kind of fell into a freefall in the late 80s and 90s, only to be salvaged when he created a pet cloning service. Given the relatively young ages of his servants, he probably cloned them right around the same time he started cloning rich people's dead dogs.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ballz posted:

Also of note if you read the supplemental material from that site, according to the newspaper article obit, Veidt's fortunes kind of fell into a freefall in the late 80s and 90s, only to be salvaged when he created a pet cloning service. Given the relatively young ages of his servants, he probably cloned them right around the same time he started cloning rich people's dead dogs.

Never assume ages of clones. They can be fast growing to prime age or some poo poo.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AccountSupervisor posted:

I noticed this and in the season preview You can see Sister Nights kid building a model of the same castle

I also noticed on my rewatch that Veidt called his servants the "leading roles" of his play, which goes with the theory they are clones of Osterman and Janey and he is trying to make another Dr. Manhattan

That's why I guessed they were those particular clones in the first place...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ymgve posted:

What was up with the focus on the picture frame as Don Johnson was leaving the house?

His father? My guess is his dad was one of the white folks in the Tulsa riots (they were a few lingering shots on some of the men) and that’s the motive for his death. This is initially unrelated to the 7K but in trying to make sense of the murder Night is going to get uncover some poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Khanstant posted:

his being married to a black woman is used to excuse a lot of his bigotry.

Oh you better loving believe it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The real question is will the "RORSCACH ROXXX" crowd change their tune?

It's 2019. They will double down

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

His father? My guess is his dad was one of the white folks in the Tulsa riots (they were a few lingering shots on some of the men) and that’s the motive for his death. This is initially unrelated to the 7K but in trying to make sense of the murder Night is going to get uncover some poo poo.

His dad is wearing the same badge in the photo so he’s the former chief of police.

So he could have been a cop during the riots. It would make him like 50+ when Judd was born but that’s hardly impossible.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this is gonna be terrible

https://twitter.com/LogLadyUSA/status/1186416283669020672

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ymgve posted:

What was up with the focus on the picture frame as Don Johnson was leaving the house?

You tell me, it's the one thing that has been bugging me about the episode. I thought it was the racist kid in class, but other than him looking an angry redhead in the photo they don't look the same.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

woof.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Lindelof being actively terrible and hating his fanbase isn't news. :nallears:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I watched episode 1 and everyone is unlikable and complicit. Maybe Looking Glass is okay, but I can’t say I felt good with Sister Night walking behind a door and beating that guy til she opened an artery or something. I’m also glad the chief got fragged- burning a Cessna with people inside from his owl ship while simultaneously pushing it too far so that it crashes? Big yikes. It seemed like the owl VTOL was perfectly capable of loitering and looking through walls with some sort of thermal vision - he could have just followed the 7th Kavalry plane. Blood thirsty chief!

The NYC squid causing squid storms in Oklahoma and probably other places decades later is funny.

The trailer they put at the end of ep 1 makes it seem like some other psychics are in play besides Veidt, right? That and the reoccurring image of the manor, and a mass seizure or something at that carnival.

It sure looks like the American flag logo has a lot of stars, and Vietnam being a state is... interesting. A glance at a world map later in the series would be nice.

The little drop of blood on the police badge made me groan.

Also, small aside, but drat the Rorschachs have a lot of automatic weapons at all levels, cabbage guy an uzi and the battery house a machine gun in a truck bed. How’s that jive with the radio saying there’s a 6 month waiting time for gun ownership and the police having their guns strapped into a remotely operated car safe? I haven’t looked at the hbo wiki but does it mention why police need a weapons free signal?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 22, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think we should acknowledge the fact that a Buick Grand National got a supporting role as a badass superhero car.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nohman posted:

Since I didn’t see anyone else say it, I will: I think “Veidt” is actually Dr. Manhattan and his servants are life forms he said he was going to go off and create. The transition from the stars in the sky to the Scottish moors is actually to show that this is taking place on some other planet Dr. M hosed off to to play God. The Dr. M playing in the sand on Mars is just a copy to make humanity think he’s otherwise occupied. The anniversary referenced is not of Squid Day, but the intrinsic field accident.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ross DaouThot posted:

i'm sorry, what do you call a police force that requires firearms authorization but has appropriated the use of vigilante masks and has no external accountability?
Extremely authoritarian.

Ross DaouThot posted:

what do you call a government that has issued reparations to descendants of slaves but has no presidential term limits?
Those two things alone don't really say anything at all about their ideology.

What do you even think "liberal" means?

General Dog posted:

I was expecting him to get his head blown when he was standing on top of the airship after the rough landing.
I thought the ship was going to explode.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
this was boring and i spaced off halfway in

i was expecting something like the boys and got???

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madurai posted:

I think we should acknowledge the fact that a Buick Grand National got a supporting role as a badass superhero car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejnulsLLyI

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I've been rewatching the pilot looking for callbacks and symbols from the comic to see if there was any meaning to be gleaned and so I tried counting every instance of a circle with the "five minutes to midnight" mark. This is what I got, some are extremely tenuous, but still tell me if I missed any.

-the blood on the kid's forehead at the beginning
-the egg yolks during the show and tell, with the embryo at five to midnight
-the logo for Milk & Hanoi
-the giant crystal globe thing on Jeremy Irons' desk
-when Judd's having his final dinner, the overhead shot shows he's sitting at the five to midnight position
-Judd's badge at the end, also it's got the camera zooming in on it, also it's ending with the camera zooming in on it because the comic opened with a zoom out from the Comedian's badge get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
That was super not was I was expecting, good even.