Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Serephina posted:

Deserts of Kharak is very strong and I woulda liked the devs to have done their own thing instead of being bolted onto the Homeworld IP. Game's good for the first 3/4ths, then for some braindead reason 'artillery' and 'battlecruiser' units show up, maybe out of some mistaken feeling of obligation, ruining the nuanced unit balance.

:hmmwrong:

Battlecruiser good.

Thyrork posted:

As for warzone, I really should try it! Its wrapped up in my head alongside Earth 2150 as I think I had demo's for both as a kid and never got the full games of either. And speaking of, How IS Earth 2150 or that franchise as a whole?

I really like Earth 2150, and if you can tolerate the eurojank there's a ton of campaign missions to go through. Sometimes they're even pretty good missions! It's very much copying Warzone in a lot of ways, but there's more variety in units and weapons and they've got enough of their own ideas it feels distinct. If you want an RTS which makes unearned allusions to Stanisław Lem in one breath and has mission briefings hit on you in another, this is the game for you.

Earth 2140 is somewhat like C&C, I hesitate to say 'clone' because it's more like someone trying to describe C&C to you through a concussion. Sadly the AI is completely broken in all the windows versions, I'm not sure if anyone has made a fix. Just recently saw that some people are working on an OpenRA version of it though, which could be interesting.

Earth 2160, alas, blows. It's ambitious and still fairly impressive on a technical level but just doesn't gel together into anything good. Horrid obnoxious "writing" and "story". I'd put it in a similar category to Perimeter 2 or Genesis Rising where you might get something out of it as a sightseer, if you keep expectations low, because it does have some novel ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh! World in Conflict!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtQEuwNyBI

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Serephina posted:

Talke to me more about DUNC please, I've not heard of it until just now. Does it scratch the itch? I've been playing Dawn of War1 recently which certainly scratches it, so are they similar in a rts-hybrid sort of way?

DUNE Spice Wars is like Sins of a Solar Empire to me. Same hybrid of RTS and Grand Strategy while being "lite" in both. There's some unit micro depending on the faction and passives taken but fights are more won on the macro then the micro (Did you start a fight in the desert? Well better make sure your army doesn't get swallowed! Ranged units suck in melee so group them separately! Some units are durable frontliners, others are sneaky flankers and others melt armour so arrange them properly as the battle starts and let it play out!) and commanding the various layers such as meddling with the space shares market, plotting assassinating other leaders (and not getting stabbed yourself) and maybe just being really huge and with really impressive monuments to convince everyone that your hegemony is clearly the best.

Its good! I strongly recommend it.

Daton has strongly recommended this to me for awhile. One day. One day. Also that weird time bending RTS. E: Achron!

Assessor of Maat posted:

I really like Earth 2150, and if you can tolerate the eurojank there's a ton of campaign missions to go through. Sometimes they're even pretty good missions! It's very much copying Warzone in a lot of ways, but there's more variety in units and weapons and they've got enough of their own ideas it feels distinct. If you want an RTS which makes unearned allusions to Stanisław Lem in one breath and has mission briefings hit on you in another, this is the game for you.

I'll have to peek at 2150 then!

Also I'm suddenly reminded of the FPS Tank commander semi-RTS games like Battlezone 1998 and Uprising. :confuoot: Played 'em both and I dunno if they hold up for a replay, I think I remember liking Uprising 1 more then 2?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 22, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Thyrork posted:

DUNE Spice Wars is like Sins of a Solar Empire to me. Same hybrid of RTS and Grand Strategy while being "lite" in both. There's some unit micro depending on the faction and passives taken but fights are more won on the macro then the micro (Did you start a fight in the desert? Well better make sure your army doesn't get swallowed! Ranged units suck in melee so group them separately! Some units are durable frontliners, others are sneaky flankers and others melt armour so arrange them properly as the battle starts and let it play out!) and commanding the various layers such as meddling with the space shares market, plotting assassinating other leaders (and not getting stabbed yourself) and maybe just being really huge and with really impressive monuments to convince everyone that your hegemony is clearly the best.

Its good! I strongly recommend it.

I actually went and pirated it yesterday, and I'm glad I did as there's no way to know if it's any good within two hours. Started a campaign on 'normal' instead of default easy, played three matches, took maybe my entire Sunday? Which is a big deal for a conqueor-the-map campaign which uses individual skirmishes per mission - I felt the game is far too slow for that format, first game probably took six hours before the two shorter followups when I understood the tech tree and chose quick missions. The computer players are properly savvy for the voting and the very simple details of tactical combat (run away or fight, basically), I unironically enjoyed them dogpiling me when I tried to vote myself a win. But maybe I should have played on hard or something, the players don't know how to push for a win themselves; second game was a 1:1 on a tiny map where the AI sat still, third game was on a small map that had a special rule to 'race to do X the most in order to win' where the opponents completely ignored X, forcing me to large blob of units through their territory to knock over objectives they where pointedly ignoring.

I think it's a decent enough attempt at taking the 1979 board game and adapting it to modern 'grand strategy' sensibilities and the 2021 film aesthetics, and it's certainly polished enough in that last regard. Doesn't feel like it has legs tho, which I know is a lovely thing to say after playing it for an entire day, but that's the nature of these 4x and 'grand strategy' games, it takes a bit to get to the bottom of them and realise there was never any magic along the way.

Put it this way, I recently played DoW: Dark Crusade which had the same campaign style, but after finishing the it over a week I was still hungry for more, which honestly says a lot.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Dune 2 was trending for awhile due to the movie and it reminded me how I've never been satisfied with any of the fan project remakes, as much as I appreciate the efforts. I love that game, especially Frank Klepacki's music. I once planned on streaming a playthrough annually (takes me about 8 hours straight) but haven't been able to get it to work with OBS since the first time I tried. Dune 2000 etc. do not have the same charm, not really possible I suppose.

What I dream of is the same original chunky graphics (just looks wrong all slick and huge res with tiny units) with simple band boxing, better enemy AI and more 9th-level sized maps with an extended campaign/skirmish generator. Always hated the "limited units" or stealth missions in C&C, so none of that. Just big rear end bases and battles. Playing online would be nice but not really my Main Care

i also want a pony

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Brolander posted:

Dune 2 was trending for awhile due to the movie and it reminded me how I've never been satisfied with any of the fan project remakes, as much as I appreciate the efforts. I love that game, especially Frank Klepacki's music. I once planned on streaming a playthrough annually (takes me about 8 hours straight) but haven't been able to get it to work with OBS since the first time I tried. Dune 2000 etc. do not have the same charm, not really possible I suppose.

What I dream of is the same original chunky graphics (just looks wrong all slick and huge res with tiny units) with simple band boxing, better enemy AI and more 9th-level sized maps with an extended campaign/skirmish generator. Always hated the "limited units" or stealth missions in C&C, so none of that. Just big rear end bases and battles. Playing online would be nice but not really my Main Care

i also want a pony

Have you given the 8-bit Invaders/Armies/Hordes games a try? I have a feeling this wont be what you want but it might be good enough?

Serephina posted:

I actually went and pirated it yesterday, and I'm glad I did as there's no way to know if it's any good within two hours. Started a campaign on 'normal' instead of default easy, played three matches, took maybe my entire Sunday? Which is a big deal for a conqueor-the-map campaign which uses individual skirmishes per mission - I felt the game is far too slow for that format, first game probably took six hours before the two shorter followups when I understood the tech tree and chose quick missions. The computer players are properly savvy for the voting and the very simple details of tactical combat (run away or fight, basically), I unironically enjoyed them dogpiling me when I tried to vote myself a win. But maybe I should have played on hard or something, the players don't know how to push for a win themselves; second game was a 1:1 on a tiny map where the AI sat still, third game was on a small map that had a special rule to 'race to do X the most in order to win' where the opponents completely ignored X, forcing me to large blob of units through their territory to knock over objectives they where pointedly ignoring.

I think it's a decent enough attempt at taking the 1979 board game and adapting it to modern 'grand strategy' sensibilities and the 2021 film aesthetics, and it's certainly polished enough in that last regard. Doesn't feel like it has legs tho, which I know is a lovely thing to say after playing it for an entire day, but that's the nature of these 4x and 'grand strategy' games, it takes a bit to get to the bottom of them and realise there was never any magic along the way.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Although I'm totally blanking on the 3rd mission format. I have noticed that sometimes the AI in Dune can leave you playing solitaire as you amass power but othertimes its you who left them to slowly infiltrate your villages and prepare assassins or secure income and become Ruler Of All Market Shares.

Also its lack of legs is defo part of the "lite" experience. Dune Spice Wars feels like someone went "yeah but what if the 4x game took 3 hours instead of 12" and I actually like it for that. Feels boardgamey and a bit easier to suggest to friends as such.

Serephina posted:

Put it this way, I recently played DoW: Dark Crusade which had the same campaign style, but after finishing the it over a week I was still hungry for more, which honestly says a lot.

I'm increasingly thinking of going back to DoW.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 22, 2024

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I still love that trailer/cutscene. The Battle of Burger King of 1989 is my favorite part.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh yeah, are there any interesting Supreme Commander 1, 2 or forged alliance mods/projects that y'all would recommend peeking at?

Also, what version of Sup Com, 1, 2 or forged is worth playing baseline?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo the best FA mods are the BlackOps set of mods, which add a bunch of new, polished units, experimentals, and ACU upgrades, 4th dimension, which...same, just not as much, and the Nomad race.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thyrork posted:

Oh yeah, are there any interesting Supreme Commander 1, 2 or forged alliance mods/projects that y'all would recommend peeking at?

Forged Alliance is really good but only has a single campaign. I replayed both vanilla Supcom and Forged recently and FA improved so many things.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Thyrork posted:

SC2 you can save yourself a good ten hours by simply not reinstalling, it's still poo poo to play and a boring stupid campaign (except the few entertaining minutes of Gage). Game has bone cancer, and modding never could treat it.

For all good game related purposes, simply install Forged Alliance Forever and don't look back. Behold the wonders of co-op campaigns.

Though, I think most of the notable mods fall into the same trap many Total Annihilation mods did where it's often just wanting to make things MORE BIGGER LOUDER but require the game to go on artificially long to actually see the new stuff, don't really have coherent ideas of how to expand on the game, and the new things tend to look like garbage. So more novelty value there to be extracted rather than any great new experience.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
FAF is a good shout, I had forgotten about it and goons have recommended it to me in the past since I have an account apparently!

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

I actually reinstalled WiC last week. Have been missing a good RTS and forgot how much I enjoyed the 'old' RTS types. WiC was one of the only non 'base buildy army smash mid game' types that I actually enjoyed.

Hell this thread has made me add a bunch to my wish list I never looked at back in the day and I'm going to work my way through those that I missed (starcraft being one).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody heard of this? It certainly has the look of TA, though it’s worrying the teaser reel is more of a cutscene <Snip>

Oh right, I meant to shill Mindustry in reply to this reveal. Mindustry good. :shobon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 1, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
steam has a bundle of like, every c&c game ever made for $10 right now, but it doesn't include the hd re-releases of c&c and ra1 that came out a couple years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39394/Command__Conquer_The_Ultimate_Collection/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

site posted:

steam has a bundle of like, every c&c game ever made for $10 right now, but it doesn't include the hd re-releases of c&c and ra1 that came out a couple years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39394/Command__Conquer_The_Ultimate_Collection/

I'm going to pick it up for sure - I already have C&C3 and RA3 on disc, but lost all my other C&C game discs long ago.

I'm sure there at my parents house somewhere but...for only $10, it's a no brainer. I wonder what the "enhanced compatibility" with newer operating systems entails. I know pretty much every game below C&C3 need fan patches in order to run in any sort of acceptable manner...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got C&C the first decade on my computer and have since I first got it!

It never worked once lol. I should probably remove it but it's only a few gigs so it's not like it's eating up tons of space

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It'll be nice to play Generals again. I know it wasn't well-liked by the greater C&C community, but it was still fun, and its one that really could use some "Extended edition" or "Complete edition" fan patches to add in the stuff that was obviously cut (the Generals challenge mode, for instance)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't ever played a C&C game except for Renegade so I'll use this as an excuse to play the remaster/remake on game pass and get the rest of the games in that pack.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Randalor posted:

It'll be nice to play Generals again. I know it wasn't well-liked by the greater C&C community, but it was still fun, and its one that really could use some "Extended edition" or "Complete edition" fan patches to add in the stuff that was obviously cut (the Generals challenge mode, for instance)

Actually Generals is very well-liked in the C&C community now. Much different story than when it first came out - I was on those official Generals forums at launch and woaaahhh boy. I think it was one of my very first glimpses at how an online community can get nasty.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Actually Generals is very well-liked in the C&C community now. Much different story than when it first came out - I was on those official Generals forums at launch and woaaahhh boy. I think it was one of my very first glimpses at how an online community can get nasty.

I'm happy to hear that people started judging the games on their own merits and not just knee-jerk "This isn't an ACTUAL C&C! It is terrible and you are terrible for liking it!" nonsense that permeated any discussion of it.

So... did anyone make some form of restoration mod? Because I know what I'll be picking up in the near future if they did.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Randalor posted:

I'm happy to hear that people started judging the games on their own merits and not just knee-jerk "This isn't an ACTUAL C&C! It is terrible and you are terrible for liking it!" nonsense that permeated any discussion of it.

So... did anyone make some form of restoration mod? Because I know what I'll be picking up in the near future if they did.

What do you mean restoration mod? There are fan patches and tools to make Generals/Zero Hour run better on modern systems if that's what you mean:

https://www.gentool.net/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

I got C&C the first decade on my computer and have since I first got it!

It never worked once lol. I should probably remove it but it's only a few gigs so it's not like it's eating up tons of space

Was this the book package with like 15 CDs in it? I had that at one point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think it was a couple dvds actually.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What do you mean restoration mod? There are fan patches and tools to make Generals/Zero Hour run better on modern systems if that's what you mean:

https://www.gentool.net/

If anyone had tried to add in the missing Generals from the Generals Challenge, for example.

...well, okay, that's basically the only major thing I want.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it was a couple dvds actually.

I had to look this up because it was bugging me, I was thinking of the worldwide warfare pack and it was only 7 CDs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh my god I think I had that one too lmfao. How many times have I bought this game

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Randalor posted:

If anyone had tried to add in the missing Generals from the Generals Challenge, for example.

I think this might be the closest from what I've seen:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave

I haven't touched Generals/ZH since...I guess C&C 3 came out. drat. That was a long rear end time ago. Guess I'll have to fire it up soon...

site posted:

I had to look this up because it was bugging me, I was thinking of the worldwide warfare pack and it was only 7 CDs

"Only"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Right?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Generals/ZH were fuckin great. Spent a lot of hours playing it at our local LAN center. Haters vacate

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Part of it was some people didn't see it as a "true" C&C game, but another big part was that the game had pretty heavy system requirements when it was released. I remember a lot of disappointed and angry forum posts when people found out their GeForce MX cards weren't supported because they lacked stuff like Hardware T&L etc, even though Nvidia put them in the same "generation" as cards that were supported.

Made for a lot of confusion and angry threads.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's not a bad game but it has NOTHING to do with C&C at all. They just tried slapping that logo on for marketing purposes. There is no tiberium, there is no Nod and there is no Kane. It is NOT a C&C game. I will die on this hill*! :mad:

*I have it fortified with obelisks!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

It's not a bad game but it has NOTHING to do with C&C at all. They just tried slapping that logo on for marketing purposes. There is no tiberium, there is no Nod and there is no Kane. It is NOT a C&C game. I will die on this hill*! :mad:

*I have it fortified with obelisks!

Why you hating on Red Alert 2/3 like that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Randalor posted:

There are a looooooot of ZH mods that add new generals and really change up the old ones. Without even diving into TCs, I'd say the best ones are Shockwave, Contra (kind of a big change in gameplay tho), Firestorm, and Rise of the Reds. The latter adds Europe and Russia to the game.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I played Generals as a kid back in the day, but developed a bit of hate for it because I liked Red Alert and it seemed like it was forgotten in favor of Generals. Of course, with age I mellowed out, so much so I was pleasently surprised when I saw they put it in this pack. Might have to buy it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was always kind of down on it because it doesn’t play like a C&C game, so I went back to it recently and was still down on it because it doesn’t play like a C&C game.

It’s great that it has a fan base. It’s just not for me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm the dam break sequence that brought PCs at the time to their knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3RgJNRxv0&t=716s

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I haven't played Generals since C&C 3 came out, but the Quad Cannon firing sound is still etched in my memory.

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had forgotten how generals is very of the post 911 moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It sure is something.