Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Poopy Palpy posted:

The illustrator credited isn't Matthan, the BGG user who put Dominion on chips and designed the exact banners and iconography that ended up on Puzzle Strike. The thanks to DXV disappeared from revised Puzzle Strike rulebooks after he and Sirlin met, which went down like this:

lol DXV frigging rules. I think I'd heard that story before and possibly conflated some of the details here. I've updated the OP accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Tabletop Simulator banning people for saying they are gay or trans in global chat because global chat is to be 'family friendly'

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kBMorbq59Izsu5gYA1B3pQfbyoaG102_p0pEWZx4Hk/mobilebasic

So mad I forgot to say gently caress THAT poo poo. No more TTS for me

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 8, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Tabletop Simulator banning people for saying they are gay or trans in global chat because global chat is to be 'family friendly'

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kBMorbq59Izsu5gYA1B3pQfbyoaG102_p0pEWZx4Hk/mobilebasic

Yep, gently caress that poo poo. The OPs have been updated again, now with a section about online gaming (which I wanted to add anyway), and a section denouncing this homophobia / transphobia / erasure / fuukken bullshit.

I did my best to write it quickly, but please correct me if I have made any missteps.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Siivola posted:

Wow gently caress Sirlin.

I want to note that he "only" stole the visual design for Puzzle Strike, the game is more than just a Dominion-with-chips, but that's still super blatantly scummy.

Sirlin's second biggest crime (after just blatantly ripping off that guy's chip design*) was him going on long screeds on BGG about how he definitively "improved" Dominion by adding asymmetrical design (which he fallaciously claims is always 100% better than symmetrical design) and then weirdly as part of these rants taking credit for things like non-targeted attacks (even though this is lifted wholesale from Dominion), claiming Puzzle Strike has less kingmaking and lame duck endings than Dominion does (which is also just blatantly wrong) and then IMO the weirdest thing which was to somehow claim that chips are easier to randomly shuffle and handle than a deck of cards?? (even tho you need a bunch of extra components like a pouch and a big screen so that a stack of chips can have the same inherent properties that a deck/hand of cards does)

* just want to elaborate a bit because it still is completely mystifying to me that he didn't even bother to take the extremely simple step of moving away from the color scheme and heraldic banners that Matthan used, when none of it matches a fighting game aesthetic at all. It's almost like he took the extra step to rub it in this poor person's face that "hey not only am I profiting from your cool idea of deckbuilding chips, I also used you as free design labor!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will offer one extremely tiny counterpoint, Puzzle Strike isn't going for a fighting game aesthetic, it's going for a Puzzle Fighter aesthetic which it's fairly that. But yes still, gently caress Sirlin.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

IMO the weirdest thing which was to somehow claim that chips are easier to randomly shuffle and handle than a deck of cards?? (even tho you need a bunch of extra components like a pouch and a big screen so that a stack of chips can have the same inherent properties that a deck/hand of cards does)
I'm an okay shuffler but "windmill slam chips into bag, dig out new ones" is absolutely the superior method. :colbert:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions on BGA. We ended up trying 7 Wonders Architects, which turned out to be a perfect game to play while shooting poo poo with your mates. The one friend who had paid for premium just had his subscription run out, so we were a bit limited in our selection. But we also got one game in of RftG when some people got to bed.

We've already decided to try out Arnak next time around, since several of us have heard good things about it (the player limit may be a problem though).

Also, I only realized today that A feast for Odin is in beta on BGA. Gonna have to convince people to try that out, see if I remember enough of the rules to teach.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

I'm so, so loving mad at this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Siivola posted:

I'm an okay shuffler but "windmill slam chips into bag, dig out new ones" is absolutely the superior method. :colbert:

It's definitely a blast to do that. The weird part to me is that Sirlin is basically taking credit for having iterated on and improved a concept as simple as "a deck of cards you can shuffle and draw into a hidden hand" when 1. "his" method requires a bunch of extra peripherals to properly mimic the deck, 2. there's certain aspects of a deck of cards that's can't properly be emulated (e.g. cards in a specific place like "top" or "bottom" become meaningless in a bag of chips) and 3. he wasn't even the one who actually came up with this concept in the first place

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
would be a great time to tell publishers to pull their content from TTS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

I've left a review explaining this. With your permission, I'll borrow your document and add it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've left a review explaining this. With your permission, I'll borrow your document and add it.

Absolutely!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Wasn’t there also a hoopla about Sirlin “borrowing” rather generously from Knizia’s En Garde?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Absolutely!

Done. Unfortunately my review is now hidden until they can verify the link is safe - fair enough - but there's plenty of other people leaving negs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Wasn’t there also a hoopla about Sirlin “borrowing” rather generously from Knizia’s En Garde?

I only learned about that this morning:

Magnetic North posted:

Also, in researching Sirlin for this topic, I discovered that there was another controversy: he allegedly ripped off a 1993 game from Reiner Knizia. The discussion from 10 years ago involves Penny Arcade of all people. I'm not familiar with the games, but a cursory look at the rules show they are quite similar. Whether this counts as inspiration or theft is admittedly blurrier in this case, but considering the other incident I would understand why people might not afford him the benefit of the doubt.

If you've got more intel on this and we can corroborate it with links and sources and stuff, I could puff this up a bit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Flash Duel is Literally Just En Garde, except it has characters and a 1-v-many multiplayer game mode. It's about as much work on top of an existing game as Puzzle Strike, Yomi, or Chess 2*. :shrug:

*That is absolutely a game David Sirlin has put out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
On one hand, I like Puzzle Strike and think there's a lot of unique design work in it; it's not really fair to call it a ripoff of Dominion. I don't think anyone would be looking askance at its design were it not designed by a serial plagiarist.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I have an idea for a deck-builder. Instead of cards or chips, your deck consists of cardboard pieces shaped like David Sirlin's head, which you shuffle in your bag. Other players can attack you and make you gain negative turd-shaped pieces as well.

But Llyranor, you ask, wouldn't players be able to feel the difference between turds and David Sirlin's head? No, no they wouldn't.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
I'm about to play twilight imperium IV for the first time tomorrow, is there any tips to making it a more seamless process or should I just buckle up?

also I think I'm gonna play as the embers of muaat so I made this

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magnetic North posted:

I only learned about that this morning:

If you've got more intel on this and we can corroborate it with links and sources and stuff, I could puff this up a bit.

I unfortunately don’t have much beyond that.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

nrook posted:

On one hand, I like Puzzle Strike and think there's a lot of unique design work in it; it's not really fair to call it a ripoff of Dominion. I don't think anyone would be looking askance at its design were it not designed by a serial plagiarist.

yeah the thing about sirlin is that a lot of his stuff is iterative changes or extrapolations of other games. flash duel to en garde, puzzle strike to dominion, codex to mtg (although its more different from its originator than the others,) pandante to poker. I wouldn't characterize any of these games as plagiarization because there's a lot there in his games that isn't in the games they're riffing on. people pile on him for those because they're justifiably upset at him for the art theft in puzzle strike, his weird aggro fighting game community tone, and his self-aggrandizing steve-jobs-wannabe style. But he doesn't steal from other game designers, just hobbyists on bgg.

That doesn't mean that we should say puzzle strike is plagiarizing dominion, though. there's a dozen games we can point to that do way less with the core fundamentals of dominion and are much closer to being reskins that aren't accuzed of plagiarism. It's not a great attitude to cultivate that a game should be judged on how closely it resembles its influences - I think that's a bad mindset for a fan community - especially one that has wound up having so many newer board game devs spring up from it. People should feel free to iterate on mechanics of games they like.

gently caress sirlin tho. If he only ever did just one bad thing and that was stealing that person's artwork for puzzle strike, that one thing is bad enough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We have an actual official FLGS in town now. Except it's more of a general nerd store that just happens to sell some games. Supposedly they'll be getting a shipment of games in next week but considering their store name is "Weebs in the Woods" and their description putting emphasis on anime merch and their photos only showing plush toys and TCGs, I'm going to assume that TCGs will probably be the extent of their inventory.

Also for some reason their mascot is like an anime girl version of the brawny man.

And their e-mail address domain is "@weebs.cool" lmao

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

We have an actual official FLGS in town now. Except it's more of a general nerd store that just happens to sell some games. Supposedly they'll be getting a shipment of games in next week but considering their store name is "Weebs in the Woods" and their description putting emphasis on anime merch and their photos only showing plush toys and TCGs, I'm going to assume that TCGs will probably be the extent of their inventory.

Also for some reason their mascot is like an anime girl version of the brawny man.

And their e-mail address domain is "@weebs.cool" lmao

That has to be a front for a meth lab. There's no reason to make something so universally unappealing if you aren't using it to hide top tier crime

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

hekaton posted:

I'm about to play twilight imperium IV for the first time tomorrow, is there any tips to making it a more seamless process or should I just buckle up?

also I think I'm gonna play as the embers of muaat so I made this

Just played a game of it tonight. Great game and I hope your group has devoted a significant amount of time into playing it. It pays to know the rules very well because there are a lot of them. There is something that is incredibly important to remember: TI is a game for points. First to 10 wins, the moment it is reached. Everything you do in the game should lead to you scoring a point. Do go out picking meaningless fights. Also protect your homeworld. You can't score if you lose it!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

That has to be a front for a meth lab. There's no reason to make something so universally unappealing if you aren't using it to hide top tier crime

Well at least they'll have some stuff to offer aside from the meth, though not sure how well a meth lab would do being run out of what used to be a bank. Seems like they will have some other tabletop stuff available.

Also noticed their site says they'll have a gaming lounge but I don't really want to think about sitting in close quarters with others downtown during a pandemic.

quote:

We offer a gaming lounge featuring tournaments and a storefront stocked with cards, toys, games, plushies, and hobby supplies! We work with big brands to sell products such as Pokémon, Warhammer, Magic The Gathering, Amuse, Dragon Ball Super Card Game, Dungeons and Dragons, and many more.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
10/10 would go there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FirstAidKite posted:

Well at least they'll have some stuff to offer aside from the meth, though not sure how well a meth lab would do being run out of what used to be a bank. Seems like they will have some other tabletop stuff available.

Also noticed their site says they'll have a gaming lounge but I don't really want to think about sitting in close quarters with others downtown during a pandemic.

Honestly if they aren't creeps they seem kinda fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly if they aren't creeps they seem kinda fun.

The genderflipped anime character used as a store logo suggests that boat has already sailed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jedit posted:

The genderflipped anime character used as a store logo suggests that boat has already sailed.

don't make fun of my vtuber avatar

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jedit posted:

Heeeeeh, that kind of art is real popular online these days. It's half a red flag at worst.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Crossposting my trip report

FirstAidKite posted:

Went to the nerd store, didn't buy anything because not much of anything there at the moment I'd want to buy. Had more than I expected though and has a lot of space. Also it's pretty rad how the bank vault is right there with the door wide open. It'd be neat if they incorporated that into the design of their shop, could probably do something neat with it and it's all just right there so why not make some use of it.

Very scattered assortment of things though. Like, all in on one bookshelf was a singular sexy anime girl figurine next to a bunch of "used manga" with a notice to ask at the desk for 16+ manga, some transformers toys, long plush toys of cats and bears, some blind boxes of little spinning tops that look like the kind of thing you'd get out of a quarter capsule machine, and plain boxes of bulk magic the gathering cards, and remilia scarlet's hat.

Whole lot of pokemon and magic cards, surprisingly no yugioh cards (yet, I assume they'll end up with those eventually along with every other random anime tcg that's being played), and a bunch of warhammer 40k stuff. A lot. Some D&D stuff and some pathfinder stuff but mostly warhammer 40k. And also something about selling their friend's avatar the last airbender 3D printed models for some avatar board game that was kickstarted last year.

It said on some signs that they do game nights, that'd be cool if it weren't for the whole covid thing. Their rules for using the lounge seemed reasonable enough too, the only one I was worried about was rule 2 because of the same reason tabletop simulator is under fire at the moment. The store's rule 2 was that discussion of things like politics and religion and issues are banned and that you will be asked to leave if you don't agree to the rules and I can easily see someone doing the same poo poo tabletop sim did with someone interpreting that rule as "no mention of identity, don't talk about it because that's political/related to religion/sexual and inappropriate"

e: they did have vid games too but it was hilariously obvious it was basically someone trying to turn a profit on some old stuff. Some random ps2 games like Black, a gba for $80, a few gbc/gba sports games, a ds action replay, AND a dsi action replay

They also had a section of store space labeled their podcast area so I guess now I need to see what their podcast is like.

Also we were the only people there wearing masks. Even the employees weren't wearing them.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I just got an email blast from David Sirlin promoting Puzzle Strike 2 and this first paragraph is pretty rich coming from a guy who used a picture of someone else's redesign of someone else's game as the starting point for his design:

sirlin posted:

Puzzle Strike 2 marks a shift in my design thinking. My usual process has been to start with a mechanic or system, develop it, then later on develop the components and how it all looks in the box. A sensible order of events. But…something I’ve learned from user interface design is that if you want a slick user experience, then START with that. Have the underlying system and functions in mind, sure, but start with what you want players to ultimately see, touch, and do. Make it look good and feel good so that you can craft the underlying system specifically to end up pretty, elegant, and/or satisfying.

He turned the game into a market row deckbuilder, and his justification for why this is good design is that in addition to all the standard reasons market row deckbuilders are bad, the order of cards in the market row affects how attacks work so sometimes you need to buy a card you don't want to prevent your opponents' attacks from getting too good. There's also a big dumb plastic scepter for some reason.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Poopy Palpy posted:

I just got an email blast from David Sirlin promoting Puzzle Strike 2 and this first paragraph is pretty rich coming from a guy who used a picture of someone else's redesign of someone else's game as the starting point for his design:

I also got this and it's the first e-mail I ever got from that mailing list, I think. :tinfoil:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FirstAidKite posted:

Crossposting my trip report

They also had a section of store space labeled their podcast area so I guess now I need to see what their podcast is like.

Also we were the only people there wearing masks. Even the employees weren't wearing them.

There’s a reason the saying is something like “pittsburgh, philadelphia, and kentucky in-between”. Rural PA sucks (i’m on the other side), and people are going to have that mindset. It would be interesting to ask if they have a person managing the game buying, or if they just accept whatever package from their distributor. I think some shops don’t get much choice in what they carry, not sure the actual logistics, they will mostly only make tabletop money on Magic anyway

They should totally put their figurine displays in the vault though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Got to play Dune (Gale Force 9 edition) for the first time, with 6 players, and it was an absolute blast, even if we did only make it to round 5 (and our first Nexus) before we called it quits. Super thematic, everything felt right, even if we had no real idea how to evaluate anything starting out.

Combat was a bit finicky but it's at it's core a game from the 70s.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

TTS response

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/camo/c57537f52df75dcd040f91a2f0eec5b0e5dfd132/68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f346b707379474c2e706e67

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Damage control

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orange DeviI posted:

Damage control

They had to do something. The situation was ridiculous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It sounds like maybe they had a bad chat moderator. It's not a great look to have initially defended that policy and then turn around a day later and backpedal on it... but I've seen exactly that happen right here on SA, and not that long ago, so I have some insight into how that can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Orange DeviI posted:

Damage control

I mean what else do you want from them? It said “we hosed up, our moderation didn’t work, we’re going to rethink what’s going on”.