Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That criticism reminds me of game 2 campaigns people loved that I bounced off of. Like pirates or Taurox. I have one doomstack, and I aimlessly wander around picking fights. Eventually, I win the story. It's the exact opposite of "people won't like this because it doesn't have the mix people want from Total War." People love sending one doomstack crashing into hapless AIs over and over until they get bored. Lots of people want 0 campaign map.

Same with me tbh. I see the appeal, but its not really my playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

That would be more of a reward if he didn't have the skill tree of a generic empire captain.

Edit: If anything the Boris unlock is the best reward and you don't even need to get close to finishing the campaign to do it.
Do we know how to unlock Boris yet? I feel like I saw something about it but lost track.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah the Bretonnia campaign, essentially. Once my homelands are settled I'm just going to go fight cool battles against weirdos on the other side of the world.
The only issue I have with this, which I would like to do more of, is that replenishment is nigh impossible without taking land. I'd love to do less map painting if I could effectively project power and have fun.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do we know how to unlock Boris yet? I feel like I saw something about it but lost track.

Hold the 3 main Kislev settlements for 10 turns, then he is available.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

And you can use him for the rest of the campaign in addition to getting a new campaign with him.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Scott Forstall posted:

*as Kislev

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scott Forstall posted:

Ah perfect, thank you both!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think there's also a special battle involved after holding all three settlements.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I think there's also a special battle involved after holding all three settlements.

Also, afterward you get the choice to set Boris up with one of the cities and he acts as an independent faction (no idea why you'd choose this) or get him to join your forces.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So, basically, the biggest complaint about WH3 from people (aside from obvious bugs) is that the campaign objective is weird/repetitive for a TW game. Which won't bother me, because once Immortal Empires opens up I'm pretty much only ever going to play that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
As someone who's always wanted to get into the Total War games but finds jumping into campaign play overwhelming, I'm actually super excited about the tutorial. I'll probably play that on Game Pass then go back and play Warhammer 2 or Three Kingdoms.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The only issue I have with this, which I would like to do more of, is that replenishment is nigh impossible without taking land. I'd love to do less map painting if I could effectively project power and have fun.

I think that Warhammer 3 looks good for you.
  • The rifts let you project power anywhere and mean that if you want to play tall you can win with only two armies (one to go into the rift and one to hold the line at home)
  • Cathay, and especially Miao Yang seems to want to play tall and stick to the Cathayan heartland
  • Tzeentch, Slaanesh, and Nurgle all in different ways want to spread their corruption (or plagues) all over the map and can have a lot of power projection without taking the territory.
  • Khorne is going to splatter paint all over the map - but only splatter it and let it spread.
  • The ogres don't have to take land and can rely on camps and possibly their starting province.

On the other hand I don't think Kislev or Build-a-Bear are the factions for you.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It sounds like building wide might be the best option to stop other factions from winning the campaign (by killing them), but it also sounds like you can stop them in the chaos realms as well. I do really like that the other factions try to win, I enjoyed the vortex campaign and how you would see the others doing rituals even if you weren't in the race itself.

I guess it all depends on how it's tuned after the game is released. Like I'm not super concerned if it's really annoying on legendary personally, but it's still not great for legendary players. And if it's a pain on normal that's gonna be bad, Just wanna get my hands on it give me the game I want the game where is the game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Also, I will be very surprised if Immortal Empires comes in anything under 6 months. It is a huge amount of work they took on by completely reworking the settlement siege maps, so they still have to do that for every single faction biome that's not on 3's map already. Plus updating all the custom UI and such for the various DLC characters to the new style and everything else.

They'll probably want to get chorfs out before IE, less work that way as opposed to having to replace the Darklands Greenskins in both campaigns once they come out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having read Nagash's entire 1d4chan page I'm not sure how any playable faction can do him justice. He'll probably be player-balanced worse than the Huns.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's important to note that before End Times Nagash was much, much weaker. He was an influential lore figure who hadn't been playable since 4th edition, he just sat around in the background biding his time. Sorta like pre-War of the Ring Sauron I guess? Teclis and Mazdamundi were considerably more powerful spellcasters than him and you can still play those two just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Having to actually pay attention to the campaign objective feels like a step up for me from TWW2, honestly. I actually enjoyed the time pressure to get off your rear end and do things that might not be optimal from an empire-building standpoint but were necessary to stay ahead in the race, and it was hugely disappointing to me when I found out that doing so was mostly a waste of time because you were much better off if you didn't bother.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember there will be a patch right at the start, and optimization is one of the last steps.

Also there is a fun little short story for those with Total War Access. https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

Reading that I can see at least two future hero DLC

Naryska 'The Golden Knight' whoever that is
Mother Ostankya who is some sort of hag queen? Also probably hags as a new hero unit

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Andy Hall danced around Mother Ostankya all interview long last time he was on Lorebeards so I'm sure she's gonna become a DLC lord sooner or later. She's the rebranded Baba Yaga equivalent. Naryska meanwhile is the equivalent of Ludwig Schwartzhelm for Katarin, she's the queen's champion and kind of like a link between the Orthodoxy and the Ice Court.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Nagash’s old miniature is from the unified Undead army book, from before there was a split between Vampire Counrs and Tomb Kings. Google tells me he was an extremely high level wizard who was good in melee then too.

So a Nagash faction would just be every undead thing. Some factions start with disadvantages, so ones could start with extreme advantages too. Like the Daemon Prince, kinda. It does leave Arkhan and his faction in a weird place.

If they are doing a chronology starting with game 3 and going backwards, what does that mean for Arkham’s game 2 quest? It also means that all those game 2 epilogues about N’kari planning something we’re kinda referencing something that already happened.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 15, 2022

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. N'kari didn't even show up for the chaos invasion, so I guess their evil plan was to gently caress off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Christmas posted:

Nagash’s old miniature is from the unified Undead army book, from before there was a split between Vampire Counrs and Tomb Kings. Google tells me he was an extremely high level wizard who was good in melee then too.

Nagash's old mini was also a result of self sabotage. The Sculptor for his model, wanted him to look like a desiccated corpse. However his superiors wanted Nagash to be a skeleton. So the Sculptor purposefully made his skull very silly looking to try and get them to go with a resculpt with a non skeletal head. But his bosses felt it was fine and decided to use it as is.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Having read Nagash's entire 1d4chan page I'm not sure how any playable faction can do him justice. He'll probably be player-balanced worse than the Huns.

Remember Mazdamundi and Teclis, who are both supposed to be on the same level of power. "The founder of Necromancy, one of the most powerful magic users in the setting and someone that is capable of destroying a continent with a single ritual" translates in TW: Warhammer to something like "a spell list that is mix of Lore of Vampires and Death, a skill that gives -10% cool-down to spells and +15 winds of magic and maybe a bound spell or two if he is really lucky".

The CA does pretty good job of portraying notable martial characters as absolute ball-wreckers but I don't think they managed to get a single powerful mage right so far.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lt. Lizard posted:

Remember Mazdamundi and Teclis, who are both supposed to be on the same level of power. "The founder of Necromancy, one of the most powerful magic users in the setting and someone that is capable of destroying a continent with a single ritual" translates in TW: Warhammer to something like "a spell list that is mix of Lore of Vampires and Death, a skill that gives -10% cool-down to spells and +15 winds of magic and maybe a bound spell or two if he is really lucky".

The CA does pretty good job of portraying notable martial characters as absolute ball-wreckers but I don't think they managed to get a single powerful mage right so far.

Lord Kroak.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I dunno high level mages happily nuke armies, as you’d hope.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, but your mage hero who is supposed to be just some random schmuck will do as good of a job as your mage LL that is supposed to be one of the strongest mages in the setting. In comparison, the difference between a random elven Noble and Tyrion, or Imrik is far more clear.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah pretty much, the only exception is LLs that get some good discounts like Teclis and Gelt (but base Metal kinda sucks so even though Gelt is head and shoulders above other Metal casters it just makes him 'good' compared to casters in general).

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I suspect the mastery of the winds thing that requires stacking models to increase spell damage might be a prototype for figuring out a way to make strong spellcasters notably better than generics, though it'll feel wierd when Kairos of all people/demons likely won't have it to avoid double dipping into hero stacking and that.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Not surprised that reviewers aren't hot on the repetitiveness of Chaos realms or the siege rework.

Looking forward to playing build a bear but mostly IMMORTAL EMPIRES (in a few months)

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I reckon some wizard will be able to mod the main campaign goals to be ignorable in a short timeframe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah pretty much, the only exception is LLs that get some good discounts like Teclis and Gelt (but base Metal kinda sucks so even though Gelt is head and shoulders above other Metal casters it just makes him 'good' compared to casters in general).

Metal has Final Transmutation and Searing Doom, which are both aces - it really only "sucks" in comparison to the good wind spells(Burning Head, Wind of Death, Pendulum) which mostly get bajillions of kills simply because the AI knows how to dodge bombardment spells but has literally no response to line-based winds for some reason.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lord Kroak does an excellent job of being a absolutely terrifying mage without peer.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dr Christmas posted:

He was not merely 'good' in melee, he had the stats to bench press a giant and the gear to chop a dragon to bits easily while being an extremely potent caster and having a ton of special rules at the same time. 4th and 5th edition, aka 'Herohammer', were savage af.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lmao Legend of Total War has clocked 500 hours + on the game already.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lmao Legend of Total War has clocked 500 hours + on the game already.

Easily done if it's your job.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For him to have reached that many hours he's had to have played for about 14-15 hours every single day for 37 days straight. On top of that there's another 200 hours of idle time. Which means his computer has been running the game for 19 hours a day for 37 days. That's loving nuts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For him to have reached that many hours he's had to have played for about 14-15 hours every single day for 37 days straight. On top of that there's another 200 hours of idle time. Which means his computer has been running the game for 19 hours a day for 37 days. That's loving nuts.

Are you telling me there are daily patches and five hour load times?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

On the tabletop you had a limited pool of power dice each turn which you rolled against a target value to attempt to cast spells. In addition to that each wizard only knew 1- 4 spells determined randomly from the six in their lore at the start of the game.

A high level wizard would know more spells and have more juice to spend trying to cast them, but the effects of each spell remained the same regardless of who was doing the casting.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Dispelling is also a thing in tabletop, and higher level wizards were better at doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Well, mostly that would be in them being more likely to be a higher level wizard than a generic one, though that's not a guarantee. The wizard level (up to 4 IIRC) determines how many magic dice that wizard contributes to your pool and also how many spells they can equip in a battle, and I think the level of those spells and how many dice they can use to cast a spell. Named characters may also come equippemed with items or rules that gives them bonuses to cast a spell or which spells they can pick, that was mostly it I think. Also worth noting that in general in the later editions of Warhammer Fantasy named characters (they were typically just called "Special Characters" not Legendary Lords that's a total war thing) were generally not worth taking compard to generic ones, because of their extravagant point cost, I think that went double for the spell-casters, particularly if they were also good combatants.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Dispelling is also a thing in tabletop, and higher level wizards were better at doing so.

This may have changed in the editions, and I mostly just played in 5th and 6th (and a little bit at the start of 7th) but I remember dispelling being an "army" thing not tied to a specifc one of your caster, they just generated the magic dice, whcih could be allocated for either casting or dispelling (or were they separate?). That's also how Dwarf magic resistance worked out, they couldn't cast spells, but they could dispel and several of their characters (and possibly even units) did generate magic dice (runesmiths with anvils generating the most of all), which would naturally all be used for dispelling.

I may be wrong about characters not dispelling now that I think about it, I at least remember items like dispel scrolls and such that could be used to automatically dispel a spell and things like that were equipped on individual characters.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 15, 2022