Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

actionjackson lives in a condo which means it's gonna be more expensive bc of the increased risk. Shoot a nail in the wrong spot and you hit a water pipe and flood your downstairs neighbors condo, with no accessible water shutoff valve in reach. Plus it's a pain in the rear end to work in a condo,but mostly it's the increased risk.

I remodel professionally and I'd say $20-25k is average for demo/cabinets/floors/backsplash/appliances/paint

$1-2k for demo
$8-12k for cabinets
$2-3k for floors
$1k for backsplash
$3k for appliances
$2-3k for granite/quartzite counters
$1-2k for whatever else

So obviously you do this for a living so you are the expert, looking again it looks more like 25k, so that might have been a misread by me.

However as you very well know, your picture is from a pretty standard size kitchen, but there's also plenty of giant houses with giant fuckoff kitchens. The place I'm working with mentioned they've had renos up to 80-100k.

Also 3k for all four appliances is EXTREMELY cheap. There are plenty of single appliances that are far more than that even.

Thankfully I live on the bottom floor so some of the things you mentioned are not an issue. The place I used kept the cabinets, but put in new slab doors and drawers to give it a frameless look, and did the blum hinges where you push and the door pops out, and when you push the door or drawer back in it "grabs" it at the end to pull the last bit of distance (tip-on blumotion for movento if you are familiar, I think each drawer for that is like 200-300). I'm paying 10k to have this done in my galley kitchen, which includes everything, including a custom paint color. It would have been like 6800 if I had done typical doors with hardware.

I had considered replacing cabinets, but because I'm a modern design slut I got an estimate from a really nice place that had the look I want, and that was like 20K just for cabinets and all the demo. But I would not be happy with doors with insets, or hardware of any kind.

https://puustelliusa.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

checking in to report an interesting detail i just learned about the starter townhome we bought in the early-mid 2010s and sold for a 45% higher price last year (after springing for cheap carpets/paint/appliances to cover our wear & tear)

the buyer is leasing it out

per some research i did during the sale she is/was a 30-ish woman living at a modest suburban home with her parents, so i thought it was going to be her starter home

this is where our generation is in 2022: if you can't live the american dream, maybe you can at least seek rent from those still chasing it

i guess she got a great interest rate but the home appreciated an extra 40k or so in value while we were on the market, basically out of thin air, which is probably why we learned she's charging rent that's hundreds above what neighbors have been paying until recently.

it was vacant for a few months until she got a tenant, probably once rates went to poo poo and people realized they missed the party

it's painful talking to friends entering the market because things keep getting worse and worse

to get our new place we lost a ton of bids before we lowballed a badly overpriced house whose sellers finally relented (after squandering the initial rush of attention and bids that new listings get in the first couple weeks). it still needs some work but i'm in a forever home at a good price point with a 5% down / 30 yr / 2.875% mortgage.

as stressful as the whole process was, knowing that the same grueling procedure now yields an even further overpriced house at a 5%+ rate makes me despair for my friends. my only hope is that the increasingly terrible rates deter enough of the small-time "investment property" seekers to make a dent in housing inventory

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, even with rates rapidly climbing, I doubt we will see at 2008 style crisis if only because there are so many deep pockets in property markets. It doesn’t mean there may be cooling but there are too many big players in it at this point.

i agree we won't see a 2008 crash in housing for a bunch of reasons. foremost is there's next to no variable interest rate loans this time around. but i also dont think the govt is going to let housing prices fall in the same way where people realize it's worth walking away. at best we'll just get stagnation like from 2015-2020 , especially as interest rates tick up. but even as i say that, stagnation should have already set in and it hasn't , so it's a really weird market. maybe it really is all owned behind the scenes by giant companies, and we know they'll get bailed out again

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

look at the size of this loving kitchen, you can't even fit it all in one pic. it's almost bigger than my home

how many loving cabinets do you need, there's like 50 doors and drawers just in this pic, what the gently caress are they putting in these

those appliances are probably 10-15k alone. of course you could also upgrade to the pelosi package of a separate subzero fridge and freezer (10k each), wolf wall oven, and whatever else and prob spent 35k just on those. don't forget the 5k miele built in coffee maker

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

look at the size of this loving kitchen, you can't even fit it all in one pic. it's almost bigger than my home

how many loving cabinets do you need, there's like 50 doors and drawers just in this pic, what the gently caress are they putting in these

those appliances are probably 10-15k alone

it looks very nice. i would love to host Thanksgiving dinner for all of my family and friends there.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

synapse posted:

it looks very nice. i would love to host Thanksgiving dinner for all of my family and friends there.

thats clearly a Sex Kitchen. The Food Kitchen is in the east wing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Everyone should post their houses and the bougie rear end remodels they did.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

those appliances are probably 10-15k alone. of course you could also upgrade to the pelosi package of a separate subzero fridge and freezer (10k each), wolf wall oven, and whatever else and prob spent 35k just on those. don't forget the 5k miele built in coffee maker

That's the guest facing kitchen. There's another kitchen area for caterers and personal chefs that's more industrial in form and function behind a door. The cabinets in that picture are almost empty

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

actionjackson posted:

lol can you even reach the center of the island without crawling on it?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is my kitchen. well, i rent so its not really "mine" but u get what i mean

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
lmao I thought 90k for a trailer was ridiculous but now there's a trailer going for 175k and 300/month in park fees. I have a friend who bought a house with a few acres for around that price three years ago

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bonelessdongs posted:

lmao I thought 90k for a trailer was ridiculous but now there's a trailer going for 175k and 300/month in park fees. I have a friend who bought a house with a few acres for around that price three years ago

lol

up here I looked at a trailer you could stick your fingers through the siding that had been used to board large numbers of cats.

firm 800,000

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That island could lose a foot and it'd be much more serviceable. Countertop space is what makes that ELITE

i enjoy your kitchen fart simpson :)

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Apr 25, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
crossquoting from the doomsday Econ thread:

totally normal and sustainable

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

animeistrash is taking notes for when the revolution comes

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i remodelled my toilet this morning with a massive poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

this is my kitchen. well, i rent so its not really "mine" but u get what i mean

nice dishwasher rear end in a top hat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that brand of soy sauce is ftw though

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there’s no one in the picture???

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

turn on your monitor

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

re: these types of cabinets - serious question for the thread.

why is it that sometimes the style *looks* extremely expensive and contemporary and other times the style *looks* extremely cheap? like basically ikea cabinetry.

I’m serious, at first I thought it was exclusively the impact of the handles but it seems to be more than that

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

re: these types of cabinets - serious question for the thread.

why is it that sometimes the style *looks* extremely expensive and contemporary and other times the style *looks* extremely cheap? like basically ikea cabinetry.

I’m serious, at first I thought it was exclusively the impact of the handles but it seems to be more than that

materials, ikea stuff is going to be particle board, fiber board and a lot of plastic, basically super lightweight and cheap - I think it might be called thermofoil, which is very susceptible to heat and moisture damage

nice stuff is going to be solid wood, or maybe MDF, and with a really nice clear coat, before painting (if done)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

but it looks almost the same

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now run a mister coffee under both for five years and see what happens

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i'll never own a house unless I got lottery-winning lucky or something. Oh well. I can't ever retire either

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i say swears online posted:

now run a mister coffee under both for five years and see what happens

I’m aware.

I just find it curious that sometimes that style of cabinetry looks amazing and other times that style of cabinetry looks cheap plus poopy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I’m aware.

I just find it curious that sometimes that style of cabinetry looks amazing and other times that style of cabinetry looks cheap plus poopy.

for me it's any shiny design, no matter how expensive. just looks like trash. matte all day baby

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah i don't understand high gloss kitchens at all it looks horrible, and any lighting will bounce off them and blind you

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

you're not "fixing" them you're replacing them entirely. it only makes sense when you're about to sell the house since you'll probably get more back than you put into it. otherwise it's an expensive indulgence, agreed

Sorry but pumping money into a house just for sale doesn't actually make sense.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

scandinavian design is a fancy term for “how ikea stuff looks”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Sorry but pumping money into a house just for sale doesn't actually make sense.

why would i put new tires on this car i'm selling, seems like a waste

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Dear lord that kitchen looks miserable to use, love to walk ten feet to wash my hands after cutting/handling raw meat near the stove

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

scandinavian design is a fancy term for “how ikea stuff looks”

Scandinavian design is when I have a huge house with a poo poo ton of storage that makes it so that I can hide all of my shameful belongings and any other signs that the home is occupied by humans that love each other

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

an acquaintance of mine is constantly talking about minimalism and letting go of belongings, but what it means in practice is that he just hires people to do laundry, dishes, yardwork, home repair, and then eats out all the time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this is my kitchen

https://twitter.com/PizzaDalle/status/1518397084616970241

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

clicked that and then under it was this

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlhZ60H

lmao what the fuuuuuck

Hahahaha jesus

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ammanas posted:

i remodelled my toilet this morning with a massive poo poo

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

i am harry posted:

clicked that and then under it was this

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IlhZ60H

lmao what the fuuuuuck

Just reenact The Sad Tale of the Principal Post irl, cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Innocuous posted:

my only hope is that the increasingly terrible rates deter enough of the small-time "investment property" seekers to make a dent in housing inventory
In my very limited anecdotal experience this has been the case. In early March we offered 20% over asking on a house which needed significant work to be livable. There were 16 other bids and they informed us they weren't even interested in our second offer unless it was all cash.

Last week we offered 5% over asking on the house next door to that one, same lot size with a mirrored floorplan but in need of far less work. This time around there was only one other bid (which was of course all cash) but I guess the seller had some backbone and went with us because we're going to actually live there.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Apr 25, 2022