Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember being amazed by the 3d map in the original AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Main thing I suggest if you're getting newly getting into PSX/PS2 AC is once you have access to the options menu, swap move left/right with turn left/right, and it basically becomes equivalent to something like megaman legends.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What I did was map the camera controls to the dpad (for fine camera control) and the face buttons for movement, but the reverse is good too. Although if you're emulating them on PC you can rebind the camera to the face buttons and then make the right analog map to the face buttons, or something similar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Thanks for the advice! I didn't exactly need a bunch of games getting dropped on my backlog like garbage blocks in tetris attack, but I'm a huge post-Souls Fromsoft fan, so I'm pretty excited to dig in on all of these.

edit VVV Yeah I think I'll at least give AC1 a few hours of my time, just to get a sense of how it plays

This was posted in the genchat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a couple of those model kits for AC4A btw and they range from really good to weirdly brittle and lovely plastic

I've got Tellus, Sunshine, Ambient, and friends have Unsung and White Glint.

The Tellus one sucks the others are rad. All are extremely fragile though.

e: They also make it super clear how tiny the heads really are lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 13, 2022

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

heck yeah I can't wait for another robot game for me to be suck at. it's been so long

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

^^^ Play the PS2 games and go in release order, basically: Armored Core 2 > Another Age > Armored Core 3 > Silent Line > Nexus > Ninebreaker > Last Raven.

Don't play Ninebreaker it sucks. Or DO play Ninebreaker purely to torture yourself, get all its exclusive parts and then import them into Last Raven. OR just gameshark all of Ninebreaker's parts into your save file for Last Raven. It's your life, live it how you want to.

Also if you have PPSSPP set up, there are PSP versions of Armored Core 3, Silent Line, and Last Raven each with even more exclusive parts that you can check out as well, if you're willing to, you know :yarr:

I finished Ninebreaker just a couple months back, and maybe it was just going in with a below rock bottom set of expectations, but I actually enjoyed it a bit more than Nexus's first disc. Sure, some of the tests were absolutely terrible, and the lack of missions was obnoxious, and the arena's structure was terrible, and the maintain distance test was insane...

Looking back, that might be Stockholm. But Nexus was just so boring, while the tests in Ninebreaker had some variety to them. Not that I'd recommend Ninebreaker. Just shaking my head at Nexus in disappointment.

Interesting thing about importing a Ninebreaker save into Last Raven is that, unlike a fresh save, you start out flat broke, needing to sell parts to get the money to pay for the arena. On the upside, even a near-unplayed Ninebreaker save still has a ton of parts for free. Sure, you don't get the secret parts like the KARASAWA or Moonlight, but it's a good place to start.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ninebreaker at least toned down the horrible horrible booster heat issue, which is something I can give it in its favor. Though it also didn't fix it so I guess it cuts both ways. That chart calling Nexus the pinnacle is hella funny though, even if I do still have more than my fair share of a soft spot for it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

In my secret heart of hearts they have played a bunch of Project Wingman and they get deep into the radio chatter world. I want to hear Patches lose his poo poo at someone and damage his radio just like Diplomat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

In my secret heart of hearts they have played a bunch of Project Wingman and they get deep into the radio chatter world. I want to hear Patches lose his poo poo at someone and damage his radio just like Diplomat.

Ace Combat and Armored Core have always kind of existed parallel to one another since their inceptions, and while Project Wingman follows the former's lead in terms of its radio chatter, Armored Core has always been on the quiet side of things. Usually an enemy AC would show, go "I'm going to kill you now," and then if you're lucky you'd head them scream and curse a little as they blow up.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Yeah, Ace Combat chatter treats the radio like a play's stage, while Armored Core treats it like an actual-rear end radio so you usually don't hear stuff unless someone wants your character to hear it

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Probably the chattiest Armored Core ever got was in the one mission in AC3 where you assault Crest's headquarters, and there's a handful of Ravens employed who you can help out as you go around the facility clearing objectives. But outside of that, yeah, not much.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This was posted in the genchat

Good stuff, OP-worthy IMO. I'm probably not gonna be the last person to stumble in and ask how to catch up with the series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

Yeah, Ace Combat chatter treats the radio like a play's stage, while Armored Core treats it like an actual-rear end radio so you usually don't hear stuff unless someone wants your character to hear it

That's what makes the end of the original game so terrifying. 10 minutes of absolutely unsettling silence, including a lack of background music, punctuated by "TURN BACK!" as loving loud as the game can manage in as deep as the voice filters can make it go.

I nearly poo poo myself the first time it happened. It was beyond horrifying.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I got AC4A working on my Steam Deck and it runs pretty well without the texture glitch issues from before.

Any tips on how to play this for someone who's never played an AC game before?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

That's what makes the end of the original game so terrifying. 10 minutes of absolutely unsettling silence, including a lack of background music, punctuated by "TURN BACK!" as loving loud as the game can manage in as deep as the voice filters can make it go.

This cannot be overstated. Before MGS/2, before Eternal Darkness, before Silent Hill, ...Armored Core was startling me and loving with my brain.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Super hyped for this poo poo. My most hyped game with Wo Long and Yakuza Ishin.

As much as I trust Fromsoft, I think after they show gameplay I will be fully bought in .

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

unpurposed posted:

I got AC4A working on my Steam Deck and it runs pretty well without the texture glitch issues from before.

Any tips on how to play this for someone who's never played an AC game before?

As someone who played through it for the first time over the weekend and finished it a few days ago, here's what I wish I knew from the start. The in-game tutorial is solid, but then on top of that:

- Use Control Setting B, it's the closest to a modern third person action game / Souls. With that control setting in mind...
- Regular boost is L2, makes you go faster at the expense of slowly draining energy bar (the big bar above your AP / Health at the top of the screen). If you press it without a direction input you'll jump, keep holding it to fly. You almost always want to be using this. It's used automatically while on water.
- Quick boost is R2, it's your dodge. Can be used repeatedly and rapidly depending on which boosters you have equipped. Also uses energy.
- Using both of these simultaneously will help you a lot, and is key to the tougher fights.
- Watch your equip load in your build. Equip tankier legs or a literal tank base as legs to increase this at the expense of mobility.
- Primal armor is basically like the shield from Halo. It's the smaller bar to the right of your AP. You take more and more damage as it decreases, so it's good to back off and let it recharge for a sec if necessary.
- Some of the best weapons in the game are the back mounted ones, don't sleep on them.
- There are two separate indications for lock on status for both your left and right weapon. Don't waste ammo before that targeting reticule turns red unless you're hitting a large enough thing where you can visually see the damage occurring before lockon occurs. Missiles with large blast radiuses are another exception.
- Tuning seems more complicated at first then it actually is. As you play the game you'll get more and more Tuning Points which can just be invested in different aspects of different parts. I chose to put as much of mine as possible into my lock-on targeting system speed.
- Stabilizers seems equally intimidating but again pretty simple. Basically, the actual weight of the different components of your mech can influence your turning and movement speed in certain directions. Stabilizers are there to counter these imbalances. Just aim for 0,0 or equal weight distribution. I don't think this makes a huge difference in most cases but worth doing.
- There are 3 ending routes based on which missions you choose to accept.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FA fun. Robots go zoom.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i do wonder how AC6 is gonna compare to 4A speed-wise, they do keep advertising it as High Speed and Fast Paced but compared to V/VD every other armored game could be considered High Speed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feels like if you're going to make melee at all viable you have to slow the anime dashing down a bit

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
FA tip: if you press quickboost while not moving the left analog and holding left or right on the right analog stick you'll do a quick turn

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stabilizers are there so you can add V-fins to your mech and you can't convince me otherwise. Balance? What's balance?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Feels like if you're going to make melee at all viable you have to slow the anime dashing down a bit

Playing a melee build in 4A is the greatest thrill. It just does a shitload of damage to compensate for, y'know, being melee. So you mostly just instantly delete things if you hit them at all.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i just hurt the tendon in my forearm because of the way i hold the controller to play armored core 4 and now i can't pick up things with my right arm and it was worth it, can't wait for 6

too old to pilot mechs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

typhy posted:

i just hurt the tendon in my forearm because of the way i hold the controller to play armored core 4 and now i can't pick up things with my right arm and it was worth it, can't wait for 6

too old to pilot mechs

It's a well known fact that when you turn 35 you forget how to fight. One of the tragedies of mech piloting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a well known fact that when you turn 35 you forget how to fight. One of the tragedies of mech piloting.

This is why teenagers are only allowed to pilot mechs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why teenagers are only allowed to pilot mechs.

You shut up! He's Dingo!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nine-gear crow posted:

i don't remember this at all and don't understand how you could be worried about anything in that game with the evangelion laser gun in hand

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

i don't remember this at all and don't understand how you could be worried about anything in that game with the evangelion laser gun in hand

Double Nineballs with flying rocket launchers tho :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Stabilizers are there so you can add V-fins to your mech and you can't convince me otherwise. Balance? What's balance?

Playing a melee build in 4A is the greatest thrill. It just does a shitload of damage to compensate for, y'know, being melee. So you mostly just instantly delete things if you hit them at all.

I will second that, when I played 4A I went with a melee build, using physical blades, it was FUN to get good enough to get in and just graze them with a deletion weapon.

I am going to get that piledriver and use it on mechs I don't like or are in my way

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i'm pretty sure that i've played and beaten all of the ps1 armored core games but i couldn't tell you what happens in any of them. the only reason I think that I've done so is because I remember being mad that the karasawa got heavier in master of arena and that it was extremely short

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

i'm pretty sure that i've played and beaten all of the ps1 armored core games but i couldn't tell you what happens in any of them. the only reason I think that I've done so is because I remember being mad that the karasawa got heavier in master of arena and that it was extremely short

Master of Arena is short, but it has a lot of extra content, and isn't as short as Project Phantasma.

(That one's most notable for how un-From the plot is. No ambiguity, just "Hi! I'm the good guy. I would like to give you money to stop the Bad Guy and the Doomsday Organization. Good luck!")

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chiasaur11 posted:

Master of Arena is short, but it has a lot of extra content, and isn't as short as Project Phantasma.

(That one's most notable for how un-From the plot is. No ambiguity, just "Hi! I'm the good guy. I would like to give you money to stop the Bad Guy and the Doomsday Organization. Good luck!")

i mean in contrast i don't remember playing phantasma at all or that it existed

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

turn off the TV posted:

i mean in contrast i don't remember playing phantasma at all or that it existed

Yeah, Project Phantasma is like 20 missions, and is about the most simple and direct plot that From has ever done in any of its games and you can probably beat it in the span of an afternoon or evening. It's where From figured out "Oh holy poo poo, we can just make games on the same engine that are just More Armored Core, sell them for the same price as the original, and pump out one a year... and people will buy them." Which they then did for a straight decade until Last Raven, only stopping to update the engine 3 times between AC2, AC3, and Nexus.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

so there's this dude in ac1 who's offering to give me an entire payday, in advance, to finish a job he bailed out on. he says the targets won't stay down no matter how much you beat them up. sounds hard.

might just take the money and immediately abort the mission

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

I will second that, when I played 4A I went with a melee build, using physical blades, it was FUN to get good enough to get in and just graze them with a deletion weapon.

I am going to get that piledriver and use it on mechs I don't like or are in my way

Thirded, there was that one hard mode mission where you fight 3 mechs and one was armed with that huge radiation missile and my solution was to dash him and insta delete him with the piledriver.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

wow that last mission sure was something huh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

wow that last mission sure was something huh

You don't have to kill Nineball, unless you're going for 100 percent.

But if you do get 100 percent, you can build overweight mechs and that powerup is carried into Phantasma and Arena if you import your saves.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

You don't have to kill Nineball, unless you're going for 100 percent.

But if you do get 100 percent, you can build overweight mechs and that powerup is carried into Phantasma and Arena if you import your saves.

nineball ended up being pretty easy to handle, he kindly flew down into the duct between the two shafts where i could blow the hell out of him with boosted plasma shots

but still, WHEW, i was sweating by the end of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EightFlyingCars posted:

nineball ended up being pretty easy to handle, he kindly flew down into the duct between the two shafts where i could blow the hell out of him with boosted plasma shots

but still, WHEW, i was sweating by the end of that

Yeah, it's a nailbiter mission.