Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't know a lot about Final Fantasy XI, but I do know that there are at least two Tarutaru that you should fear and/or respect, one of which got into Dissidia.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
I liked the patch that unbound worms. So they could chase you around. Looked like submarine periscopes just zooming around.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 30: The Enigmatic Youth

My head is spinning... Can you fix it?

A pendant, some weird kid, and the Archduke's men chasing the weird kid. Time to stick my nose where it doesn't belong. Anyway that's a hint of where to start if I've ever heard one.

Ah a fresh steaming conversation about current happenings.

I might be able to get to the crags before Wolfgang's nerds can toss it. You may be asking "Hey Visaria this seems like a bad idea and don't you hate adventure and certain death/jail time?" and the answer is yes, absolutely. However the dutchy is doing something stupid and Kam'lanaut is very dead, so who is currently pushing buttons they shouldn't be? Why do I have this pendant and why did the kid send me on a trip to cotton candy land in my head brain? This stinks of someone trying to tickle the Gate of the Gods again.

Just for fun before leaving I tried getting an audience.

No luck. That alchemist wasn't much help either. Always smelling chemicals and testing potions on themselves...

Anyway I'm not letting Lion's sacrifice be undone.

Yep, that's broken alright. Hey wait... It's still working?

Where the hell is this? I mean I'm inside the crag but... I think this is one of the areas leading to the Mothercrystal? I usually just kinda pop in at the crystal. Let's see...

Touch!

This seems good.

The hell is going on up at the door? Seems they were trying to escape and that cloud is saying nope.

Well that sucks for them. But it is concerning that darkness blob came from the crystal chamber.

Anyway I seem authorized to enter the door now. Boy oh boy, I'm excited to deal with this new flavor of darkness and diplomatic nightmare. San d'Oria likes to act tough but Jeuno actually follows through when it shakes a sword at you, I blame Kam'lanaut for their competence.

Whatever they'll never know I'm here.

Next time: Visaria adds a name to the murder list

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hahaha. Look, at least it's not Cure spells doing tens of thousands of damage to undead. That happened once.

hold up. this game has a Mystic Quest-themed expansion? :haw:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Are there any quests involving the Archduke that disappear if you bonk him before doing them, or otherwise have weird things happen? Or does he mostly only pop up in the main questline?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

PurpleXVI posted:

Are there any quests involving the Archduke that disappear if you bonk him before doing them, or otherwise have weird things happen? Or does he mostly only pop up in the main questline?

Just the main quests. The really amusing thing is starting Chains does not require having finished Rise of the Zilart. So you could be seeing these cutsceens *before* you've killed him.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 31: Promyvion

Faded Memories - Promyvion

I can definitely say I am not where I expected to be.

I'm just gonna turn around and leave.

I'm stuck here in the void it seems...

Big and empty... There is this glowing orb though! Breaking it makes a portal which takes me further into the big empty.

Eventually after going through enough portals I happen upon this large structure with a glowing door.

Inside I find this weird door. Is it a door? I'm not so sure but I am gonna walk through it as there is no one around to laugh if I smack into it and fall flat on my rear end.

So I passed by a bunch of other worldly horrors on the way to this... place... This looks to be an important one. I think. I really have no idea what I'm doing and the unending black void everywhere is kinda unnerving. Number one thing to do when you don't know what you are doing is to beat up or break something important looking.

And so I do...

And it works?

Much better! The crystal seems fine. No sign of anyone else.

Ugggh...

It's a rock. I guess. probably. sure.

Wait what?

The kid is here?

The kid makes darkness?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kid likes to make flashbacks happen. Anyway I found myself outside the crag afterwards. Alone. Clearly I need to go mess with another crystal.

I may be pushing my luck a little. That guy seemed like he was ready to kill me. He seems familiar though.

Broken.

Friends... and a door man.

It's true, my job is to break or fix things.

Despair (Memoro de la S^tono)

See if I hinted at that I'd get thrown in jail or something.

See if said that I'd be dead or something.

Look I didn't...

...do this...

Crap.

So an observation I've made as I walk through here is the plant life and some of the structures are reminiscent of those around the crag I entered from. These creatures are unique to this and the other void though.

Same as last time.

And back outside. I wasn't accosted this time at least! On to the last crag. I'm nowhere near being able to piece together anything that is going on right now.

Gah!

Look man, we are all trying to find the...

He... He slapped me...

He slapped me!

Nag'molada: You, boy without a name, you know the darkness of which I speak.
The darkness that the Dawnmaidens have feared for thousands of years.

Wolfgang is an arse but he isn't going to kill a kid.

Ah, I know how this ends. To the void I go...

Yep. It's a void.

Our goal is the central tower. But before we do lets take a quick moment to go over something we haven't seen before.

Apex monsters exist from now on. They are big and are used for gaining XP at high gear levels. I could fight them on my most geared Job but not at a rate that would be worth it. If I have Varesele with me certain apex mobs in later areas are a wonderful source of Job points.

Let's have a quick talk about another thing. All of Chains used to be level restricted and there were no trusts. So all this we've been through used to be level 30 with other people needed. In addition you could weaken these bosses by doing a quest to make an item from drops in the area. We don't need to do that! Huzzah!

Turmoil

Ah this rear end in a top hat is already here.

Oh here we go again.

And then there was just darkness...

Next time: Visaria isn't in San d'Oria anymore

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The void place is pretty cool, reminds me of some of the voidy areas in Risk of Rain 2.

Out of curiosity, does the overworld in FFXI also contain passive wildlife, or only (potentially) hostile creatures? And what about the void? Does it have any weird wildlife or only weird things that want to eat your bone marrow?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

The void place is pretty cool, reminds me of some of the voidy areas in Risk of Rain 2.

Out of curiosity, does the overworld in FFXI also contain passive wildlife, or only (potentially) hostile creatures? And what about the void? Does it have any weird wildlife or only weird things that want to eat your bone marrow?

Everything wants you dead even the sheep. Some events add passive npc monsters around in some places. In lower level areas most mobs are passive until you smack em. Everything in Promyvion(that black void) wants you dead.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, there's weird passive wildlife all over the place. Any and all of it will kick your rear end if you start a fight, but your average rabbit or sheep won't attack unprovoked.

Promyvion, the void area, is very unique. It only contains these weird things called Empty, which all have bizarre names like Craver, Thinker, Weeper and other unsettling things. They drop unique "memory" items that can be used to make the special item that debuffs the boss that F&U mentioned. A Recollection of Fear, for example, gets you a Terroanima. Use that on the boss and spends the next minute running in terror from the party. And hoo boy, did you need the edge those items gave you back when you were capped at level 30 for this.

Fat and Useless posted:

Everything wants you dead even the sheep. Some events add passive npc monsters around in some places. In lower level areas most mobs are passive until you smack em. Everything in Promyvion(that black void) wants you dead.

Well huh, Did they just make everything aggressive at some point past ToAU?

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 16, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Mr. Vile posted:

Oh, there's weird passive wildlife all over the place. Any and all of it will kick your rear end if you start a fight, but your average rabbit or sheep won't attack unprovoked.

Promyvion, the void area, is very unique. It only contains these weird things called Empty, which all have bizarre names like Craver, Thinker, Weeper and other unsettling things. They drop unique "memory" items that can be used to make the special item that debuffs the boss that F&U mentioned. A Recollection of Fear, for example, gets you a Terroanima. Use that on the boss and spends the next minute running in terror from the party. And hoo boy, did you need the edge those items gave you back when you were capped at level 30 for this.

Well huh, Did they just make everything aggressive at some point past ToAU?

Most of ToAU is aggressive, WoG is super aggressive, and past the first zone(s) Adoulin is all aggressive. For the most part until post Qufim levels you only need to be afraid of NMs, undead, insects, arcana, and beastmen. By that point you should have a mount which makes the overworld much safer.

But yeah I see what you are saying, most sheep/buns will not attack first until you do and when they do they are real fights that exist the entire span of the game. Also this is a good time to bring up every mob drops things, some junk, some crafting material like rabbit hides. Much later (as early as like level 20) you get access to a way to get crafting materials from monsters without fighting.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 16, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The CoP OST owns. It has such a distinct feel that matches so well with the zones. All the music will be pro clicks in the CoP updates.

Oh man, this track used to fill me with such dread... almost like... and emptiness... :v:

Fat and Useless posted:

Let's have a quick talk about another thing. All of Chains used to be level restricted and there were no trusts. So all this we've been through used to be level 30 with other people needed. In addition you could weaken these bosses by doing a quest to make an item from drops in the area. We don't need to do that! Huzzah!

This is underselling it quite a bit. To beat these mission fights, you'd need six players who knew exactly what to do and how to play their jobs. Face-tanking it with a PLD or a WAR was a pain due to the status ailments they would inflict, and NIN tanking was very hard since at 30-cap you didn't have Ustusemi: Ni. These were definitely situations where you'd get the special items to weaken them (sometimes multiple ones since the fights could drag) and it could still go off the rails if you didn't have the right balance of damage and healing/support. Or you'd just get a few SMNs to Astral Flow these fuckers into oblivion :science:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Happy 21st Birthday, Final Fantasy XI.

Promyvions were some of my favourite areas. I loved the desolate and gloomy atmosphere, and I'd often volunteer to assist groups getting through them with my Summoner just because I enjoyed them so much.

Every monster in there is aggressive to True Sight/True Sound, meaning you cannot sneak your way through using anything other than raw stealth tactics. Someone dying meant hoping you had a BLM with Tractor with you, because unlike in say FFXIV, Raise in XI gets you up where your corpse is, not where the person casting is standing. So Tractor was a black magic spell that moved corpses instead. Mostly useless but situationally time-saving.

Bregor posted:

This is underselling it quite a bit. To beat these mission fights, you'd need six players who knew exactly what to do and how to play their jobs. Face-tanking it with a PLD or a WAR was a pain due to the status ailments they would inflict, and NIN tanking was very hard since at 30-cap you didn't have Ustusemi: Ni. These were definitely situations where you'd get the special items to weaken them (sometimes multiple ones since the fights could drag) and it could still go off the rails if you didn't have the right balance of damage and healing/support. Or you'd just get a few SMNs to Astral Flow these fuckers into oblivion :science:

Yup, one of my LS-mates failed Holla about 5 times before we rounded up a bunch of Summoners to finally break her curse. All of the bosses have extremely irritating TP moves that throw out status ailments. Mea has a move that drops the target to 5% HP and resets hate, Dem summons pets and AoE Paralyzes, and Holla is probably the worst of all because it steals your goddamn buffs, removes its own debuffs and hits you with a bunch of the Dark status ailments -- Blind, Sleep, Curse. In a protracted fight you WILL see these moves come out. The more melee fighters you have on the boss, the more moves it gets to use. Or you can just nuke it while it runs around hysterically thanks to Terroanima. Everyone can hold one, and it lasts 30 seconds, so you can just make the boss do nothing for 3 minutes by chaining them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Or you can just nuke it while it runs around hysterically thanks to Terroanima. Everyone can hold one, and it lasts 30 seconds, so you can just make the boss do nothing for 3 minutes by chaining them.

Yup, that was a good one, although I remember using it to mostly reset if poo poo hit the fan, or if WHMs/SMNs needed to pop an ether or something. I would NIN tank it and use the other two, which would cause 100% intimidation (basically paralyze) on either normal attacks or TP moves.

This is just the tip of the iceberg though. CoP has a lot of mission fights that were legitimately hard, and I can't wait until Visaria gets there :getin:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 32: The Isle Of Forgotten Saints

One of my favorite field songs

Uggggh... I'm awake. And I spy some little bastards running off towards a cave. And my bag feels exactly one mysterious amulet lighter...

Where the heck am I even?

... Maybe I can kill him before he notices me...

Goddess drat it! I don't control the kid!

I crack my knuckles, I am the paragon of honesty...

When these three are around this should be constantly going off in your head

You... You thievin' bastards...

I still have no idea what is happening, but I think I'm stuck here for now... Which is fine. I need to figure out Nag'molada's deal...

Wait did I just call him Nag'molada? Oh that's why I thought he looked familiar! drat that bump to the head must have flipped a switch. 20 years ago he was responsible for bringing the nations together during the war as an ambassador from Jeuno. He absolutely knows about the Zilart. He reeks of ancient bullshit. Also he slapped me.

Harsh but honestly a smart choice. I'm bad luck and he's probably several kinds of evil.

He wasn't kidding they have next to nothing here... Kinda pretty in a way though.

Well time to learn about this place.

Beyond the sea... Woof I really am lost. These people seem unable to leave freely, maybe unwilling, I dunno. Anyway may as well give him some information, if they can't leave that means I probably can't and I'd like a roof over my head.

Ah I see. Tavnazia. What? Didn't Rochefogne blow this place to pieces? Oh yeah that's why we are out at sea isn't it... He did wash up on shore didn't he...

Tavnazian Safehold

Well. Hmm. I probably shouldn't tell them anything I know about the explosion. Rochefogne getting over it almost killed me(and San d'Oria) and I doubt it would go much better with the people who lived through it.

I awkwardly smile. Each word he speaks is slowly killing me more and more.

I tap my foot nervously. Yeah man, that's rough! (poo poo!)

If and when I get back to San d'Oria I really need to do something about this.

I'm going to go nervously look for a job to do. You are a dang queen(possibly) Visaria... Compose yourself! GUGH!

I'll act like the queen I am and check out the sewers... There's usually stuff that needs killing in the sewers...

Speaking of sewage.

Yes!

Yes...

Well today I'm a Dragoon but yeah sometimes...

I think I deserve this harassment though?

They run off...

I can...

I thought they left...

I know I started to volunteer but Nag'molada volunteering me makes me want to wait for my execution.

Anyway this won't be any problem for me. Nag'molada obviously has something up his sleeve and needs watching. I'll do it.

I give a thumbs up and we head in.

Next time: Her

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, I love those three little braindead potatoes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, I love those three little braindead potatoes.

:sludgepal: Chains update 12 has video for a reason.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I started playing this cause if this thread.

I just finished the base game i guess and doing the level limit break to 65 was rough. Oztraja is just rough

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I started playing this cause if this thread.

I just finished the base game i guess and doing the level limit break to 65 was rough. Oztraja is just rough

We did it folks, LP over. Last person out shut off the lights.

Enjoy friend. Maybe you'll even beat me to the finish as I've been dragging my feet on the worst quest* in the game for 2 months! If you need bodies to help with something we have people across several servers who are broken and will do anything you ask.

That 65 limit break is the worst of it. So take heart, soon you will be 99 and you get to enjoy gearing. The thread gets to enjoy gearing around Chains update 23 when I slowly start dying from writing the worst quest* updates.

*so far!

Also some of you may get a kick out of these videos they JUST put out in the year 2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olYZbllQ4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go-EOqXouhE

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 19, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

We did it folks, LP over. Last person out shut off the lights.

Enjoy friend. Maybe you'll even beat me to the finish as I've been dragging my feet on the worst quest* in the game for 2 months! If you need bodies to help with something we have people across several servers who are broken and will do anything you ask.

That 65 limit break is the worst of it. So take heart, soon you will be 99 and you get to enjoy gearing. The thread gets to enjoy gearing around Chains update 23 when I slowly start dying from writing the worst quest* updates.

Doubtful. My brainworms tell me to do stuff in release order so far as possible.

I did the Rhapsodies Stuff first but the Server i am on isn't very well stocked in terms of auction house so i got up clothcraft to craft cloth for my AF armor only to learn that the second item i need needs double the clothcraft (rainbow velvet).

So now i have 90% of the AF Attire and it annoys me so much

I also wanted to get the first Shantotto Quest out of the way and had to get a Sleeping Potion...Yeahhhh. it's wild how the same quest can have an alchemy requirement from 8-56 depending on pure RNG

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 19, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I also wanted to get the first Shantotto Quest out of the way and had to get a Sleeping Potion...Yeahhhh. it's wild how the same quest can have an alchemy requirement from 8-56 depending on pure RNG

In the sense that what you need to get for Shantotto is randomized?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Here we go! I absolutely love this track. When I beat the Promys way back when and was transported to this weird island, exploring new zones, checking new mobs, listening to this song... man that was awesome. Definitely one of my favorite moments in the entire game.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

In the sense that what you need to get for Shantotto is randomized?

For context it's for one of the mini expansions focusing on Shantotto not the actual Shantotto quest I did.

And yes it is random I believe, it is one of four.

Oddly enough at least one of the mini expansions has a best or near best in slot I think.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My bad, i didn't know you didn't cover it yet. But yeah,it introduced me brutally to crafting, just cause i wanted to see what that was about...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

My bad, i didn't know you didn't cover it yet. But yeah,it introduced me brutally to crafting, just cause i wanted to see what that was about...

No worries it won't be covered until the end of the game proper probably. The mini expansions are a pain and don't get me closer to unlocking the actual endgame which I can't touch because it's all behind Rhapsodies and you need the other stories completed to a point to finish that. When you are trying to tell a story it makes sense to go in order right? Even if I don't get to work on the good stuff in the downtime. Even if I'm stuck at 4 trusts making the endgame I do have access to much harder until next expansion. I need to really bite the bullet and finish Chains.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

For context it's for one of the mini expansions focusing on Shantotto not the actual Shantotto quest I did.

Fat and Useless posted:

No worries it won't be covered until the end of the game proper probably.

Pleeeeeeease, I need more Shantotto in my life. She's the best part of FFXI.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 33: Prishe

Welp in to the sewers we go. Dingus heads off on his own. Just as well, this is a good place to be stabbed in the back and left for dead.

You've seen one sewer, you've seen em all.

This place has 2 gimmicks. First one is ladders that you need to climb to go to a second floor and the other is gates which are locked. The keys for the gates are one time use and drop off undead here.

I need one key.

Boy this place has a bunch of demons and undead in it. Anyway here is our Minotaur.

I expected worse... Huh. Well time to go find my partner and get out of here.

I smell rat bastard coming from this direction.

Anxiety

Yes.

I killed the brothers, I think I would have been fine.

I sure do hate that and I'm not letting him be alone down here.

There's a bunch of undead down here and hidden doors in the walls. The wrong door will take you back before the gate we need the one time use key for.

Sneaky.

This is our last puzzle, depending on the day we need to touch the correct lanterns.

Today is Iceday so tomorrow is Windsday. We need to touch ice and wind which is lamp four and five going from the door we came in from. Doing so opens a hidden door in the wall.

Whatcha up to?

Hrm...

If I had a gil for every time someone said that... I'd probably have enough gil for some lunch. That would be very nice actually.

Vana'diel March #2

Queen.

Hi.

Yep.

Next time: You are clicking on the music or you go to jail

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, there she is. Ms. Dissidia herself.

For whatever reason, she wasn't in Dissidia NT, but given that game purportedly had 50 characters planned, I imagine she was meant to be one of the returning characters that was going to be added to the roster like Lightning, Vaan, Yuna, etc. Of course, that game did poorly, so that didn't pan out in the end. Woops!

Instead, the new XI representative for the game wound up being Kam'lanaut. Why him instead of Eald'narche, I have no idea. But there you go.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Ah, there she is. Ms. Dissidia herself.

For whatever reason, she wasn't in Dissidia NT, but given that game purportedly had 50 characters planned, I imagine she was meant to be one of the returning characters that was going to be added to the roster like Lightning, Vaan, Yuna, etc. Of course, that game did poorly, so that didn't pan out in the end. Woops!

Instead, the new XI representative for the game wound up being Kam'lanaut. Why him instead of Eald'narche, I have no idea. But there you go.

They needed a villain for Shantotto. Is that an oxymoron? I dunno. I'd guess making costumes and moves for Kam is easier than Eald.

Near the last expansion I'll throw together a big post of FF11 in other games. The number one constant is Shantotto and right behind her is Prishe. I wonder what the popularity poll ranks have been for the last decade?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I didn't expect to like Prishe, but she seems to be the most no-bullshit, no-ceremonies leader of any group we've met so far.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Near the last expansion I'll throw together a big post of FF11 in other games. The number one constant is Shantotto and right behind her is Prishe. I wonder what the popularity poll ranks have been for the last decade?

Oh, that will be neat to hear about!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

:prishethunk:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hello best girl.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Oddly enough at least one of the mini expansions has a best or near best in slot I think.

I think two of the minis have some BiS gear for some very situational poo poo, like BST and PUP pet tanking and some JA activation cooldowns. They are very short and only mildly annoying so I did them all.

Also yes, Prishe is the best.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 34: Nocturne Of The Gods

Tavnazian Safehold

Well that was certainly something.

She's on the top floor in the back.

It was some kid. Probably magical in some way. You know how it is.

Thanks! (I'm never not gonna snicker when someone says the word thief)

This is new.

Anxiety

Ah excellent timing.

The woman on the left is trying her best not to make eye contact with anyone.

What what?

To the crab!

I have a feeling I will see this door a lot.

:siren:First Ode: Nocturne of the Gods:siren:

That world was called Vana'diel.

It was lovely. Prishe needs you because there is a Bah...

I was happy for like 60 seconds and you ruined it by existing.

If I had Ranger leveled I'd be loading my gun.

:siren:Distant Promises:siren:

That world was called Vana'diel.

His eye thing starts lighting up and he turns to walk off.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with Bahamut showing up.

Anyway we head back.

I'm already technically stepped forward I think... Also I need to make sure the world doesn't end because I live in the world and it would be inconvenient and Lion wanted me to not not exist and I put in a lot of hard work fixing a kingdom.

Seems I'm the only one though...

This is gonna be a very long day.

You take your eyes off a member of the ancients for 5 minutes and they go off to break things. This clearly isn't my fault this time at least... Yet...

Next time: Dragons

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That man has a DBZ Scouter.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of FFXI quests would be a lot shorter if everyone just told everyone else what they knew.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of FFXI quests would be a lot shorter if everyone just told everyone else what they knew.

They would also be very much shorter if the mapmaker made accurate maps.

And the Numbers and letters were more legible

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 26, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 35: Bahamut

Floating islands. That isn't normal.

There's also a swirly vortex. Nobody touch it or you'll get sucked in.

We are touching the vortex I guess.

You don't need to click this to know what plays

Prishe rushes off into the portal behind them. Unfortunately for me the portal locks behind them.

In order to open the portal I need to aquire some dragon scales.

Sorry I need your scales which have a horrible drop rate!

Once through the portal, I find myself in a cave with another vortex. This one is menacing...

I've caught up now.

Second Ode: Distant Promises

Is this good or bad?

The Ruler of the Skies

Ah! So that is how they blew it up. Also Nag'molada isn't Zilart but is Kuluu. Still needs a deck in the face.

This is starting to go over my head.

Turmoil

Oh.

Hmm.

They seem to be casting something.

Ah.

I have so many questions.

Seems like a fight is gonna break out.

All and all this is an easy fight. Though I do notice while fighting these things that they aren't actually human. Some kinda humanlike machine would be a good description.

While I fight Prishe takes out one of the net puppets.

That does it!

The phrase of the day is "what is happening?"

As I get zooped away I take a moment to reflect. This was self defense! Also the Zilart capturing Bahamut would be bad right? Even though I hate Nag'molada? Goddess I have so many questions...

Next time: Back home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Prishe is legit the best character in the game, she's great.

If I remember correctly the Cape Riverne area is another one that used to be level capped, this time at 40. And no, your equipment would not automatically get level synched with you, so doing these areas meant keeping a set of gear around for each level cap. Exploring them solo was, uh, not recommended.

If I remember right the Mammet fight was a real pain in the neck. Unlike more modern MMOs FFXI's battle system was really not designed to handle fighting multiple enemies at once. It was practically impossible for a tank to keep hate on more than one target at a time because all the hate generating abilities were single target, so this fight was usually done with the "supertank" exploit of the enmity system that was mentioned earlier in the thread. One tank would just be stood in the corner getting beaten on and not fighting back while the other mammets were picked off by the rest of the group. Fights in this game were not exactly designed, they just sort of put enemies in an arena and waited to see if the players could figure out a way to beat it.

Since the LP is mostly focusing on the story beats and skipping the actual mechanics almost entirely, anyone mind if I take the occasional trip down memory lane with some more mechanics-focused posts? There's a surprising amount of depth going on behind the scenes.