Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Funerals, because yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Ceremonial Burial we need hope.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Patrols

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Extended Shift.

If the miner had been too busy to write poems, he'd still be alive now.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 24, 2023

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
When the Londoner's not paintin' his graffiti (his graffiti)
He carries on with dignity and class.
He dreams of holidaying in Tahiti (in Tahiti)
And tips 'is cap to robots as they pass.

After workin' in the sawmill with his brother (with his brother)
He loves the pub and other honest fun. (honest fun)
Taking one consideration with another, (with another)
A patrolman's job is not a happy one.

Ohhhh ...

When constabulary duty's to be done, to be done
A patrolman's lot is not an 'appy one. ('appy one)

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You know, in endless mode with faith you can eventually just employ all your humans in the healthcare system and have autobots get your resources for you, health care being of course the warmest job... save 15 poor souls to explore inbetween blow outs. but dang that run has been fun... wild, and also OH DEAR

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Burials Funerals edited for clarity

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 25, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

NewMars posted:

Ceremonial Funerals.

It would have helped with the poet thing to have had them, but better late than never.

Good point. And too much of the Order stick could be more harmful than useful. We need some kind of carrot for the peaople in despair.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Ceremonial Funerals

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Pleasure because that's what every mining camp needs.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
We're going to need Prosthetics soon if my knowledge of steam power is any indication.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Prosthetics. It's gonna get colder and we're gonna want to be proactive to frostbite not reactive.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Goddamnit, this thread is making me want to install Frostpunk all over again.

There I was, on track to play a bit of Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but this just looks like so much more fun. And the playthrough here is doing so well that I'm all like, "Yeah, this time I could do better." 'cause I survived the main scenario, sure, but you just want to go back and see if you can do more.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

painedforever posted:

Goddamnit, this thread is making me want to install Frostpunk all over again.

There I was, on track to play a bit of Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but this just looks like so much more fun. And the playthrough here is doing so well that I'm all like, "Yeah, this time I could do better." 'cause I survived the main scenario, sure, but you just want to go back and see if you can do more.

Frostpunk 2 is sometime this year, probably winter

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Nineteen
With the demise of Mr. Crugg still weighing on many peoples' minds, a law is signed allowing a memorial gathering to take place at night.

Cynical comments from the Franklin brothers notwithstanding, a proper send-off for each of our dead will help with our morale should we lose more lives.

Not long after, a service for Robert Crugg is held at the cemetary as his body is laid to rest, led by his brother Bernard.

Someone has stolen 67 Food rations from the stockpiles. People are saying it was the Londoners gathering supplies for their journey.
It seems this ridiculous idea of leaving for London is gaining traction.

Not long after I have the writers at the Centre publish an in memoriam for Mr. Crugg to remind others not to follow in his lead, I get the news that the Londoners stole a sizeable cache of food. Guards are sent out to find the culprits and retrieve the supplies, but are unsuccessful.

A loyal citizen has reported that he saw a group of young people vandalising the Propaganda Centre. They wrote "WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!" in big letters on the outer wall. What should we do?

Immediately after that, there is another act of vandalism, the largest defacement yet. I must demonstrate that I am capable of mercy and compassion as well as strength. Though we have a good idea who did it, we simply remove the writing and do not pursue the matter further.

Sir, several of the people who wanted to flee to London have decided to trust you and stay! They say that your recent decisions convinced them there is hope for us here yet.

My decision to act clemently has paid off. Three of the young people who we know to be behind the writing on the wall turned up to my office today, sheepishly informing me that they have seen reason and decided to stay with us after all.

It's been an eventful night, but peace has been kept.

The door of the research station has been bashed in. There are signs of fighting inside - broken furniture, damaged scientific instruments, and spatters of blood.

Inside the ransacked station we found Tesla's audio diary. A voice speaks: "... all the observed changes, like Sun's dimming, volcanic ash could not have caused such cooling. But what if the huge quake of 1887 in Patagonia was an asteroid strike...?" There's shouting, crashes and then silence.
Numerous tracks lead from the door towards the mountains.

Scout team one has reached the research station that two had passed over. Inside they discovered what appears to be the final recorded words of Nikola himself, who was apparently as baffled by the changing weather as our scientists have been on this side of the pond.

There's a dark opening at the base of a hill, probably an entrance to a cave. We can see some smoke coming out of it.

There are tracks leading up in this direction. They could be the other scientists who were stationed here, or other survivors of Tesla City.

We can use our steam cores to upgrade our coal mines in the same way as we did with the steel mines. This will be a massive boost to our coal production.

We climbed up to the cave. A low stone wall stands across its entrance. Behind it we can see several men.

As we approach the cave, its inhabitants pull out rifles and take positions behind the wall barring the entrance. They are in a bad shape, weak from malnourishment and illness.

There is a group of Americans with guns holed up in the cave leading away from the research station. The scouts are advised to approach cautiously and attempt to reason with them - they can't have enough in the way of supplies to last long out here.

Seeing that we have no ill intentions, the Americans told us how they "dealt justice" to the inventor after expelling him from his city. We buried Tesla's battered body in the cave and are heading home with these poor wretches in tow.

After establishing that we were not from Tesla City the Americans became a lot more friendly, sharing how they dealt with their eugenicist leader, and agreeing to come along with us to join our growing city.

I'd been waiting to commission our first home-built automaton until the redesign plans were complete! While still expensive, this goes a long way towards making them easily mass produced. I have the factory engineers start work on the automaton not long after.

Sir, a group of people found inspiration in their work under the guidance of a foreman and have decided to try organising their workplace on their own. Their spirit and motivation are exemplary today.

While it is good to see them working hard on their own, the whole point of appointing a foreman was to ensure the workers don't organize on their own! What will we see next, collective action? Unionization!?

Another temperature drop is due in only a couple of days, so I have the researchers working on better insulation for some of our more vulnerable buildings. The cookhouse requires a minimum temperature to function at all, so it is the first to receive the upgraded insulation.

Scout unit two has finally returned to the city after their marathon tour, sleds loaded dangerously high with resources of all kinds. Wood and steel shortages will no longer be an issue for a very long time! Some of the new materials are put towards housing for our incoming migrants, upgrades to all of our coal mines and remaining hunter's huts, and a couple new workshops - and we still have plenty of resources left over afterwards.

This place is the only thing standing out in the endless white desert.

After a well-deserved stint at the pub the scouts are sent out once more, to investigate this landmark the other team spotted. It is not promising on its own, but is another landmark we could potentially spot more areas from, like the stone ship.

With our coal mines all upgraded, I can finally set the Generator to steam level 2 permanently! The new design is so effective that we are running a bigger coal surplus now than when we were on steam level 1 with the unupgraded models.

Somewhat at a loss as to what to do with the incoming workers, I order a coal thumper built. Unlike the coal mine this building only extracts resources, not collect them; therefore, a couple of gathering posts will also be built and staffed. This entire setup will require thirty workers but will theoretically bring in about as much coal as one of the new steam coal mines; more importantly, it doesn't require an exposed coal vein, it'll bring its own to the surface.

Captain, the Londoners are stealing again. They've taken 89 Food Rations from the stockpiles.
People are angry that the Londoners are putting their crazy idea before the needs of the city.

With all of the running about and construction going on, another trove of rations was stolen right out from under our noses. The Guards are dispatched again...

Our guards did a good job! They got the goods back, but more importantly they caught one of the thieves. Now we can put an end to the thievery. What should we do with the thief?

Much as I would like to toss this thief in prison, we have not elected to legalize it yet! We have come this far by relying on democracy to guide us forward, and I will continue to leave it up to the people to decide what his fate will be.

The number of Londoners is falling by quite a lot, now. Many of those who joined have reconsidered their positions and their likelihood of survival out in Frostland, and all but the most fanatical are renouncing their ties each night. Slowly, our community is healing.

Our coal thumper is ready to go, and the city stands ready to bring in as many people as are still alive out there in the cold. First, though, it is time for another vote.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Patrols. The Londoners' number is shrinking, but the recent trend of food theft is worrying.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Patrols would be the best way to keep Order on the streets.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prison Might be the only way to save their lives.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

God drat it you morons, stop stealing food!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Patrols I think would be a good step.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Patrols, better to catch them before they do anything else, instead of locking them up afterword and potentially making people worry that we're turning into a police state.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Patrols.

In this scenario I think prison is just a waste of resources, spending food and heating on able-bodied adults who aren't contributing anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gonna vote for prison. Not to protect the city from criminals, but to protect criminals from the city. The "banish" option may as well have been "kill him, but slowly" and I'd rather have an empty prison than a full grave.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Extended Shift.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

By popular demand posted:

God drat it you morons, stop stealing food!

we provided them with soup, and then the allure of extra soup was too tempting :negative:

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Patrols

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Patrols

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Patrols. Prevention is more effective than curing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AtomikKrab posted:

Frostpunk 2 is sometime this year, probably winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04B4mi1QfEM

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah Patrols

We've had the guards catch people, so having extra guards about will help reassure the populace.

Also extended shifts are very nice for when you're starting to need to build up a heavy surplus of resources for later in the game as stations can be set to it ongoing rather than emergency shifts

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
There is no way patrols isn't winning but I will vote for Prosthetics until we get them, drat it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The best movie series.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bbcisdabomb posted:

There is no way patrols isn't winning but I will vote for Prosthetics until we get them, drat it.

I'll back a vote for Prosthetics.
The demise of the londoner faction seems a sure thing at this point, Prosthetics will give new hope to those who need it most - and will give a buff to our worker number.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

tithin posted:

I'll back a vote for Prosthetics.
The demise of the londoner faction seems a sure thing at this point, Prosthetics will give new hope to those who need it most - and will give a buff to our worker number.

I'm not sure that the Prosthetics law actually raises hope, and we don't have any amputees anyway.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Twenty and Twenty-One
With the recent uptick in crime it has been determined that we must give our Guards greater power and jurisdiction to proactively execute their duties.

The Guards will now patrol every day, ensuring their presence is felt. We will stop these criminals before they can even act.

In addition to their expanded duties, their numbers will be bolstered with the setup of another guard post.

We perform our first sweep of the streets, and good people's spirits are raised knowing that our loyal Guards are keeping the peace. I imagine criminals must be feeling quite deterred by this show of strength.

When the temperature plummets, we will see another wave of illness. We need to ensure that our places of healing are warm enough to keep our medics and patients healthy.

Our very first home-built automaton is operational! In keeping with the naming scheme started by the old Green Bostoner, this one is named the Yellow Cornishman.

I don't really understand it.

Another set of resource depots are under construction, but we'll need a longer-term solution sooner than later.

Sir, a child came to the Guard Station and gave the guardsmen a stuffed toy dog, telling them that they should take it with them when they walk the streets at night.
It seems people appreciate those who work hard to protect law and order in our city.

The people stand behind our patrolmen, our only line of defense against agents of chaos and disorder! The Guards will do their jobs even better knowing they have the support of the people they serve.
I miss dogs.

Scout team one returns home with a few supplies and thirty-five Tesla City survivors in tow. They are put to work manning the coal thumper, its associated gathering posts, and our fourth guard tower. As they don't have any other points of interest to survey, they are sent out on the heels of team two, in case that group discovers multiple points of interest at once.

If the hothouses get too cold, they won't be able to grow food. This will help when the temperature drops tomorrow.

Another automaton is built, this one named after the ancestry of its lead engineer. We continue to produce automata for the rest of the day, assigning each to one of the mines as they are completed.

I grew impatient with the half-finished research the science team left behind at the end of the night, and ordered this workshop to continue their work for the next 24 hours. A foreman is appointed to ensure their cooperation.

Captain, the Londoners are stealing again. They've taken 105 Food Rations from the stockpiles.
People are angry that the Londoners are putting their crazy ideas before the needs of the city.

A third theft, the largest so far! It seems our patrols weren't enough to prevent this one, and the Guards are sent out to recover what was taken.

One of our guardsmen was beaten to death whilst chasing the Londoners. We caught one of the thieves, but he's not the murderer. What should we do with him?

Murder! Infamy! The Londoners have finally gone too far, and beaten Guardsman Luther Bewley to death halfway down Timber Street. As we do not yet have a Prison, nor can we legally send a man to his death for a crime he is not directly responsible for, I am reluctantly forced to let the man go.

This incident has shaken up the Loyalists and the Londoners alike. Nearly a third of the Londoners' remaining number abandoned them in disgust overnight, including the young thief we caught earlier. Maybe this incident will demonstrate to even the most hardline secessionists what awaits them out there.

As its name indicates, this is a far larger warehouse that will provide far more storage for all of our resources.

The trend of dwindling Londoner numbers is promising. We are nearly united once more, but...

The temperature fell. Twenty more degrees. We only expect this to last for two days, but this is unbearable.

With frost-nipped fingers I manage to engage the Generator's emergency overdrive switch. This warms things up to a more tolerable level, but we will need to keep a very close eye on the Generator's stress level.

Our brave workers extend our storage quarter with five large resource depots. These will ensure we have space to store everything for a good long while.

It took a decent chunk of resources to get these difference engines built but we can afford it. This will allow even more advanced designs to be dreamed up in the workshops.

Sir, our guards report that a man is giving an impassioned speech to a small crowd, accusing you of scheming to enslave us all.
"Our captain is trying to keep you content, ignorant, and under control! Remember the New Poor Law? The workhouses? That's how we live now! We're supposed to work and be quiet! But it's not too late."

These lies are ridiculous and unfounded. I have no intention of keeping the people content and ignorant! He will stir a bit of discontent but can cause no real damage with his words any more. The Centre issues another news bulletin, letting the people know about the latest developments and what to think of them.

If we're here for the long haul and it's going to keep hitting these ridiculous temperatures, we'll need more comfortable accommadations than the bunk houses. I hold off on ordering any upgrades right away, though; the engineers already believe they can further refine this design to require less wood and steel. Speaking of steel, I have the researchers looking into another upgrade for our now fully automated steel mines, since the warehouses took up most of our stockpile.

Another patrol is underway before nightfall, aiming to ensure that no more rabblerousers, thieves or murderers lurk among us. If they happen to catch the one who beat Mr. Bewley to death, well... I'm sure the Guards will be more than happy to see that justice is served.

It is time for another vote. Our options are Agitator, Pledge of Loyalty, Prison, House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Triage, and Prosthetics, or None of the Above.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Extended shift.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I vote for Pledge of Loyalty.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prison

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Prison, let's not have any lynchings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Prison. Not having options in events is bad.