Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kotone

Kotone looks up from her whispering, as the answers ring out across the room. She looks intent, and then says:

"To die knowing you have left the Empire a better place than when you entered it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Minoru

Whether anyone else notices or not, Minoru decisively drinks to that.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

"Hot tea, a good pillow-book and your sword drenched in blood and vengeance," Kaiya says. She doesn't sound very amused, but at least she's not glaring directly at the Scorpion when she says that.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Ikoma Takakage

The answers already given were good, and Takakage would appear vain if he spoke over the rumble of cheers of assent. Drunk, or perhaps pretending, he speaks during the next lull.

"Victory and the peace it brings. The blood of heroes, righteously spilled. The test of battle and the thrill of the clash. Victory, gentlemen!"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ai's answer is met with some confused glances, though a few Unicorn - notably some of the women - do seem appreciative. Tora's response gets a few hoots and cheers, and Kotone's a few more. One of the Scorpions speaks after Kaiya's answer, saying "The wind in your hair, a horse beneath you, and the open road ahead," but the Unicorn aren't having any of his pandering--and Takakage's response gets the loudest cheers yet.

It would seem you're on the right track to winning them over. The other Scorpion don't seem to know what to say in response after the first attempt fell flat.

~

Eventually, after much feasting and drinking, the meal ends, and you are given guides who show you to your quarters. Will you head straight to bed, or engage in planning or perhaps something less honorable but more efficacious given your opposition?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

Kaiya asks the Unicorn if they have a forge she can borrow, then tries to put the whole thing out of her mind by repeating what she did with the Dragon. If she can't do any forging, she goes straight to bed to try and relax. Sake might be is involved.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Tora

Tora stays in the shadows through the meal, and slips deeper into them as the night wears on. He plans no ill deeds of his own, but he suspects the members of his former clan have their own plans. He finds his way outside their lodgings and seeks a hidden spot to watch from.

Stealth! Not so hot.
[17:10] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 18 = 6k3(1,4,3,7,3,7)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone

In theory, Kotone is going to get some good rest before the morning. Such is the way of the Scorpions; either she lets her guard down and becomes vulnerable, or wastes energy on vigilance against trouble that may or may not come. In the end, she opts to rest, though it's likely not a steady rest. The threat of Scorpion troublemakers nags at her, and there's likely a good deal of shuteye without sleep.

So it goes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

Ai would plan, but she doesn't really know what they'll be up against. She spends her time running through possible scenarios and attacks from the Scorpion contingent, because that at least is almost certain to happen.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Ikoma Takakage

If there was wrongdoing, they would reveal it in the light of day. Skulking around at night would provide useful information, but reflect poorly in the eyes of their hosts. This whole event was a test, and the Unicorn were perceptive, if nothing else.

Takakage discusses matters of minor importance with his allies before heading back to his room. He takes stock of his belongings, notes the entry and escape points, and trusts his hosts' arrogance to get him through the night without being poisoned.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Work and depression again, folks. I suck, sorry. I'll have an update soon.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The next morning none of you are dead. Possibly surprisingly. Some of you are a bit hung over, admittedly, though not moreso than would be expected from the amount imbibed.

Yokatsu sends for you a little before noon, and you and your Scorpion rivals are both brought before him in his great hall.

"I have decided," he intones, pretty obviously hung over himself. "You will prove yourselves by completing a great task. For me. For my Clan. I mean."

He belches.

"The Unicorn."

It seems like he has more to say, but he doesn't continue immediately. The silence stretches out, as he rubs his head.

The Scorpion look at each other. They studiously avoid looking at you.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

Kaiya pulls her straw hat further over her eyes. Why is it so bright in here? How does a man belch so loud?

"We will do what we can, Y... Shinjo-..dono," she says with a cracked voice. "The task?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone

Kotone suppresses a yawn, getting one of those strange faces that results for a moment before flicking one of her bangs. Then, she bows sincerely, looking to the earth as she says, "You have but to provide your request, Shinjo-sama." She rises, focusing on him as her hand goes to her scabbard, but nowhere near her hilt or tsuba.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Tell them that thing." Yokatsu points vaguely at a shugenja nearby, who hurries forward. Yokatsu's head bows forward sharply as the other man advances.

"Yes, ah. Your challenge is to prove yourselves by riding into the steppes, and finding the great stallion kami Kageuma, and returning with it. This will require bravery, wisdom and--"

"Enough talking. Go!" Shinjo waves his hand again, clutching his temples with his other hand.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

"You want us to bring you a stallian kami - ah, well. Fine."

Ai hasn't really got much of an idea what Kageuma looks like, but she's more than willing to try anything if it will receive aid for Toku (and the rest of the army).

She turns on her heel, heading out. It is only once outside that she turns to the others.

"So, do any of you know anything about Kageuma or how to catch it?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone...

... doesn't even bother hiding her "you've got to be kidding me" sort of expression. She stares bluntly, and then bows again. "Yes, Shinjo-sama.", she finally manages in forced politeness. Looking to Ai, she tches more quietly and privately, "It's as if he's trying to rid himself of us.", before glancing at the reaction of the Scorpion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Tora

Tora simply bows at Shinjo's request and follows his companions out. He looks at Kotone, and shrugs. "Does it matter? He committed himself. If we return with it, then he cannot go back on his word now. I know little of horses myself, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Everyone I apologize but I'm just at a loss to move this game to a satisfactory conclusion at this time. Sorry and thanks for the patience you have shown sticking with me this far. I'm going to call it here.

• Locked thread