Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I am delighted you're updating again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That was a very strange meeting with James' maybe-twin brother. The pretense of the meeting was immediately dropped and instead he decided to tell you allll about his super-secret spy mission and all its findings.

Also, everyone knows that in RPGs and fantasy, any ancient legend, fairy tale, or children's story is 100% true and will be proven so almost immediately upon hearing about it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well, telling James all about his secret mission worked, didn't it? He got James to run off and endanger himself delivering a message while Lysle could high-tail it to somewhere more hidden.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Lysle actually shows up in one of the (way) later books.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
All I can say is thank gently caress you can't travel the long way around in the later chapters or this LP would never be finished.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Robodog posted:

All I can say is thank gently caress you can't travel the long way around in the later chapters or this LP would never be finished.

Well, while some things are repopulated or refreshed between chapters, it usually only affects the route you're expected to go or places you're expected to visit, adding a few new events or enemies so there's still something to the place even if you visited it in an earlier chapter, and often upgrading the threat level some, so ultimately the long way around wouldn't take that long in later chapters since there'd be little to nothing to report.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Are you going to show the other way to get the Guild Seal?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It actually takes a whole lap to double back and get that seal to get into Romney? Or were you just exploring?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

It actually takes a whole lap to double back and get that seal to get into Romney? Or were you just exploring?

You can do Romney pretty much in straight line worth of travelling, though if it's your first time playing you'll probably loop back a BIT a few times to grab stuff as you become aware of off-the-beaten-path things being relevant, rather than just making a small detour to grab it on the way.

Snugglecakes is just playing this game the fun way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, like Ephemeron said there are two ways to get a seal.

Also there's a pretty good way to make a lot of money at the end of this chapter. I'd forgotten that until recently.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Well let's go pay farmer Rowe's barn a visit.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Psion posted:

Yeah, like Ephemeron said there are two ways to get a seal.

Also there's a pretty good way to make a lot of money at the end of this chapter. I'd forgotten that until recently.

There are a number of totally, utterly broken ways to get gobs of gold in this game, many doable before chapter 1 ends. The one that starts AFTER this chapter just happens to be the most "legit" one.

Edit: no, the situation hasn't quite touched off yet. It will at the end of the chapter...snugglecakes can show the difference if he visits the shop before and after the chapter end event.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 14, 2015

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm pretty sure that so long as you don't go into the tavern the thing still works in this chapter.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Robodog posted:

In one version of the game, there's actually a bug that lets you Temple teleport to some of the blocked off areas in the long way around. However, since the developers didn't intend for you to go there, there's very little reason to do so - everything is 100% unchanged from when you could last legitimately access it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MagusofStars posted:

In one version of the game, there's actually a bug that lets you Temple teleport to some of the blocked off areas in the long way around. However, since the developers didn't intend for you to go there, there's very little reason to do so - everything is 100% unchanged from when you could last legitimately access it.

Yes, but that allowed you to take advantage of the fact that non-quest-related riddle chests preserve their items across chapters.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mauman posted:

Lysle actually shows up in one of the (way) later books.

In one of the earlier books (Silverthorn?) Arutha and the Upright Man have a conversation (where Arutha negotiates James' resignation from the mockers) which very strongly implies that James is one of the Upright Man's bastard sons. Makes everything Lysle says crystal clear, really.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lysle doesn't show up there, he's written in later in one of the books that even the fiest dorks didn't bother with.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Lysle doesn't show up there, he's written in later in one of the books that even the fiest dorks didn't bother with.

I didn't say that it was a good book. :downs:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

What book? He appeared in the Serpentwar Saga, which I don't think was shunned by Feist dorks.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

I've been sitting on a bunch of screenshots, just waiting for a good evening to upload them and write up the next update which will be this weekend.

Shall we finish chapter 2? The answer is probably yes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Snugglecakes posted:

I've been sitting on a bunch of screenshots, just waiting for a good evening to upload them and write up the next update which will be this weekend.

Sweet! Looking forward to it.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Snugglecakes posted:

'But first, let's see what's happening back in LaMut…'

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I'm so glad you're back, Snugglecakes!

Also, as a result of this LP, I've been steadily making my way through the entire Riftwar Cycle for the past few months. I'm almost done - I'm on Crown Imperiled right now - and I gotta say, it's been... quite a ride. The quality has definitely been hit or miss in parts but overall I've enjoyed it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

UberJew posted:

In one of the earlier books (Silverthorn?) Arutha and the Upright Man have a conversation (where Arutha negotiates James' resignation from the mockers) which very strongly implies that James is one of the Upright Man's bastard sons. Makes everything Lysle says crystal clear, really.

Yep he does.

Also Lysle shows up later and we find out he is James's long lost older brother. Same mother and everything, James only remembers a only boy being around sometimes; whereas Lysle remembers his mother having another child for a few years before her death.

Torrannor posted:

What book? He appeared in the Serpentwar Saga, which I don't think was shunned by Feist dorks.

I have read pretty much all his books bar the Riftwar Legacy ones and I don't consider myself a big Fiest dork. Personally the series should have ended after the Dark War and everyone should have gone home happy. Most of his later ones were complete trash and littered with continuity errors as it became obvious that Fiest had forgotten his own material and was willing to change things as he got too lazy to go back and remember.

Still a few good books appeared amongst the bad: the Empire trilogy with Janey Wurts is still one of my favorite series ever, Rise of a Merchant Prince was a nice change of pace from the WAR WAR WAR that was going on and even Magicians End was decent in tying up some loose ends although you had to have a really good memory for a few of them as he kinda went "remember all those retcons I made? Yeah throw them out and remember what I said in book 5."

Remember that all of this actually started as Fiest writing the back story to his DnD groups custom fantasy setting. Where Tomas was a legend, the dragon lords were a big and scary piece of the past and Pug was the legendary black sorcerer. It kinda just blew up out of control and it took him 2 decades to bring it all back to what it was supposed to be.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Could someone who's sufficiently well-versed in the Feistiverse explain the Riftwar to me? My understanding is currently limited to "interdimensional wizard-samurai invasion that failed for reasons," which could be completely erroneous.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Fairly accurate. Tsurani Empire was invading at the behest of their lords and warlord, servant boy Pug gets captured and dragged off, recognized as having great magical potential [magic is stronger on Tsurani world], gets trained as great mage; goes back through rift, helps close rift. Tsurani remaining in Midkemia expect to be put to death but are instead permitted to swear oaths of fealty to the kingdom instead, thus Kasumi in first city you visit.

I forget the specific reasons beyond "Kelewan's kind of a desert and sucks, so we want to take resources from Midkemia".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I forget the specific reasons beyond "Kelewan's kind of a desert and sucks, so we want to take resources from Midkemia".

That's about right. Metals, in particular, were rare on Kelewan and therefore super valuable. When your rift pops you out next to one of Midkemia's larger mines, well.

e: I think my posts about the books were in the old thread, but there are a lot of books Feist wrote that most people probably shouldn't read, so I'd suggest the first three (Magician counts as one here, despite being split into two volumes) and then decide "do I want to read more of this that is worse?" and go from there. Or not.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:eng101: On Midkemia they forgot that there's more than one kind of magic; Pug was magical, but he sucked at 'hedge' magic. The Tsurani taught him :agesilaus: Greater Magic, which is what Owyn uses.
Then Pug went and did the GMPC power creep sometime, I forget when, and learned every other kind of magic, too :sparkles:

How is Janny Wurts' other work? I read the Empire trilogy and liked it, but I don't know anything about her other books.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Fairly accurate. Tsurani Empire was invading at the behest of their lords and warlord, servant boy Pug gets captured and dragged off, recognized as having great magical potential [magic is stronger on Tsurani world], gets trained as great mage; goes back through rift, helps close rift. Tsurani remaining in Midkemia expect to be put to death but are instead permitted to swear oaths of fealty to the kingdom instead, thus Kasumi in first city you visit.

Basically this.

Though Kelewan's not really a desert-world. It just has VERY limited mineral deposits in the earth and thus metal, gems and such are super rare.

Also it's not that magic is stronger on Kelewan but rather that Midkemia has lost the "Greater Path" of magic which is what most magicians of Kelewan that we see in this series practice and that Pug is naturally attuned to that path (he is infact the first child born in a long time on Midkemia with that attunement).

There is really a lot to explain and I am sure we can answer questions one at a time but really the best bet is to go read the Rift War trilogy then the Empire Trilogy.

Timeline wise I believe its like:

Start of Magician (Apprentice when originally published)-> Daughter of the Empire -> Most of Servant of the Empire -> End of Magician (Master when originally published) -> Silverthorn -> Darkness at Sethanon -> Rest of Servant of the Empire -> Mistress of the Empire

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
And thus the whole Tsurani armor being made of some flexible laminate instead of metal like everyone else. Got it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tanith posted:

And thus the whole Tsurani armor being made of some flexible laminate instead of metal like everyone else. Got it.

Yeah basicly anything that would be made of metal for us is made from a mixture of laminated hide and/or some tree part.

Up to and including their weapons which are all very carefully crafted ultra-lite constructs of a special animals hide and resin sharpened to a razor edge. Apparently it performs roughly on par with metal because they aren't getting destroyed by the Kingdom soldiers in chain and plate wielding steel swords; although in one of the Empire books a character gets his hands on a solid steel sword and proceeds to turn a whole patrols of Tsurani warriors into mince meat.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Basically this.

Though Kelewan's not really a desert-world. It just has VERY limited mineral deposits in the earth and thus metal, gems and such are super rare.

Actually, gems were, while not SUPER common, were common enough that they were regularly used as currency.

Making this odd situation that spies going from Kelewan to Midkemia and visa versa needed only a pouch of common currency to live like a drat king.

Minor Book spoiler

I remember that Luarie (the Bard, if I recall correctly) capitalized on this.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 9, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Sounds like it would go both ways. Midkemian currency being metal coins, Kelewan being gems.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mauman posted:

Actually, gems were, while not SUPER common, were common enough that they were regularly used as currency.

Making this odd situation that spies going from Kelewan to Midkemia and visa versa needed only a pouch of common currency to live like a drat king.

Minor Book spoiler

I remember that Luarie (the Bard, if I recall correctly) capitalized on this.

Yeah you're right. It is workable minerals that is near non-existent. The Cho-ja could find gems like crazy which is what the Tsurani used as currency.

OAquinas posted:

Sounds like it would go both ways. Midkemian currency being metal coins, Kelewan being gems.
Book spoilers:

Actually later in the timeline Kingdom traders going to the Empire start causing regional economic problems by having the NAILS IN THEIR BOOTS drawn out and selling them. It causes the Empire to enact a rather strict "no metals past this point" policy on anything not approved for trade.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Timeline wise I believe its like:

They interleave something like that, yeah. That said, reading order should be Magician series -> maybe stop there -> okay fine, Empire trilogy maybe I guess -> how about starting Serpentwar if you want -> probably skip Rise of a Merchant Prince, it's bad -> finish Serpentwar -> stop, never read wiki articles on what happens after, nope never -> seriously, stop, drat it

As a heads up before anyone tackles the Empire trilogy - I said it in the old thread and it's still true - when you're 12 you don't care but when you're older and reading those there are some real problems on how the Empire trilogy handles the "exotic" alien race of the Tsurani. Just try not to think about the extremely overt real world parallels to each society and you'll be okay. If you do, well :rip:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Psion posted:

As a heads up before anyone tackles the Empire trilogy - I said it in the old thread and it's still true - when you're 12 you don't care but when you're older and reading those there are some real problems on how the Empire trilogy handles the "exotic" alien race of the Tsurani. Just try not to think about the extremely overt real world parallels to each society and you'll be okay. If you do, well :rip:

Hehe, Feist books in general are NOT what I would call PC.

Not that I personally care, but yeah, if you're sensitive to stuff like that, look elsewhere.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Robodog posted:

'But first, let's see what's happening back in LaMut…'

Update 44: Before we finish this chapter, let's see what's happening back in LaMut...

:wal: "This LP seems like it is trying to be different."

:stat: "Do you like it?"

:wal: "No."

:stat: "Than it isn't different."

:wal::stat: "DOhohohohoho."

Uploading images now. Actual update to follow.

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 12, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Oh god what have I done!

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Update 44: End of Chapter 2

Alright. Last time we finished things up in Krondor and, amazingly, were able to get one of the Glazer Guild Seals that we need in order to get into Romney. We are going to head back on up there, and fortunately we can resolve at least one side quest on our way up.

Nothing of interest right now in Darkmoor or in Malac's Cross, however just outside of Lyton we get ambushed by a group of nighthawks.

I'm not sure how we were, given that we are on the road. Could have been that I was zipping around off the road before. In any case, I can use the benefit of this battle to put on the grid.

Like so. Handy dandy was to figure out how far away you actually are from something. Makes the trap puzzles much easier too. I'll try and remember to keep on the grid on for any future encounters from this point on.

Two of the nighthawks are firing arrows into Gorath's back, but we use this opportunity to take down the one who bumrushed Owyn and get him out of the fight.

This frees up Owyn to use what is probably my favorite spell, Skyfire. He has a decent selection of spells now, so I really should diversify more in battles. Maybe in Chapter 3 I'll try and show off other spells.

The nighthawks send another of their number to try and take out Owyn.

It goes about as well as you'd expect. Gorath easily takes down the nighthawk and I spam another skyfire on the nighthawk. In case you've been wondering, I've been having James fire off crossbow bolts, though he isn't as effective as I'd hope.

Gorath, as usual, gets the final kill. :black101:

Well poo poo. The bolts they were firing at us were poisoned and they got Owyn pretty bed.

Fortunately, I have more than enough uses of Silverthorn Anti-Venom, so the threat of Owyn slowly dying from poison becomes immediately neutralized.

"tastes like purple."

Now, you may remember that we were given a quest by Lord Lyton to gather up 6 kingdom armors (for reasons) that would allow him to dismiss the tax collectors that were bugging travelers. Off-screen I grab various kingdom armors from dead nighthawks and the like and repair them up.

No hellos, how are you or anything like that. Lord Lyton just wants the armor.

"A key and a piece of paper. You shouldn't have" :geno:

"With redundant information." :what:

Well, that was a very underwhelming end to the quest. But in the age before online walkthrus getting some free answers to the wordlock chests was quite a treat.

That's one side quest down. There is another one we have to finish up though...

"Oh yeah, remember that time we got pelted with infected mulch? I think we promised to take care of the Rusalki in this area"

I've already taken out a few groups off-screen, but there are some more to take care of before we can go back to Eortis to finish up the quest.

Rusalki are assholes though.

Skin of the Dragon spell or some other defense spell is really needed to get through their encounters, especially in multiple groups like this.

By the time Owyn was able to cast this on James, at least one of the Rusalki had already used their ranged attack which took off 25 stamina. If this one had hit it would have taken James down close to 9 stamina or so, which would have really starting to effect his ability in battle.

Rusalki keep on running away, and so I have to send James and Gorath after them to take them down one by one.

We eventually get them though.

Remember this place? We had stopped by a few updates ago but didn't really take any action here.

Let's get our fortune told! :haw:

Let's ask about... the future

:confused:

As always, we are very nice guys. Even if her fortune didn't make any sense.

Let's ask her about rumors

Well, this certainly isn't suspicious, no sir! :downs:

How about we ask about the dead?

"Lame."

How about we ask about the future again?

"I hate my life." :emo:

"Ohh ohh! tell me my fortune! tell me my fortune!"

:magical:

Alright, we've had enough. James, give her the what for.

Well. That was different.

Turns out that this is the hidden Rusalki. We have to take her out to finish the quest. There isn't anything special about this particular one though. We take her out and then go back to the fortune tellers.

Obvious foreshadowing. Especially important given the next soon-to-be-announced chapter.

Now, at this point I think that I've gotten all the groups of Rusalki, and I head back to Silden only I can't get on the boat. We spend a few days going up and down the coastline. Obviously I'm missing another group somewhere. So.. uh, we'll leave that sidequest unresolved but I'm sick of this chapter! :v:

"To Romney!"

"The constabulary were all killed in the uprising by the Riverpullers Guild and no one else in any authority was left alive to administrate. When I was approached to take command, I decided that I would use my men in the Guild to help maintain order until such a time the Duke was able to arrive from his estate."

"Makes some sort of sense. Where can we find the King's men from Bas-Tyra?"

"They'll be holding up in the Black Sheep Tavern for a celebration of some kind. I believe I heard one of them say they've found something they were looking for. I'm not sure what it's all about."

"I think that may mean good news for us as well. Good night, reeve. We're on into Romney."

:toot:

We made it! Hurrah! Okay, points of interest. The far right building is the tavern. The middle building is the shop, and the building to the far left is a house we can just 'enter'. So, let's do that first.

gameplay note: I lost an image here. The rest of the text is below

:mitt: "If I hear another word of a possible uprising in Romney, I swear to you, I shall make each and every one of you pay for it..."

Having heard enough of the heated words in the chamber, James turned and whispered to his companions. "

"If Arutha were here, he'd have this lot at the gibbet for even thinking of open rebellion..."

:mitt: "The fact of the matter is that Prince Arutha is not here," the Duke replied tersely, evidently having overheard the whispering. "And I will not deal so cavalierly with those who are as much my family as my serfs." Snapping his fingers, he motioned to a pair of guards who stood mute behind him. "Sergeant Yearly, see to it that these gentlemen are let out, seeing as how they yearn to get to a part of the world where Prince Arutha rules..."

Oops. Guess we wore out our welcome already. Let's try and go back to apologize.

Guess Duke :mitt: isn't the forgive and forget kind of fellow.

Alright, second to last stop is the shop.

Pretty standard prices for your standard equipment. I could sell a few items here, but let's wait on that for now...

"Okay,enough stalling, damnit. Let's go to the tavern already! Fresh fruit for everybody"

:hf: "Yayyyyy!"

:stonklol:

Thus ends Chapter 2. See you guys next time for...

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Huh, I could have sworn the interesting shop mechanic was in effect at the end of chapter two.

• Locked thread