Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Just a hoverboard as a weapon is a bit weird, but if you gave her a bat...

Nah, she'd need Ashe's bombs in order to extract maximum cheese from her board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #41: Echo of Thunder + Last Will and Testament

Cu Sith still has another quiz for us, we've still only seen the quiz for 1 of the 2 books we got from our first trip returning to Ivalice, but I'll be posting this next update.

First, we'll warm up with a side mission, before taking care of the main one.

- Echo of Thunder: A powerful scion lurks in the Ymir Qul Underground. The sound of thunder rolls from the cavern, shaking the foundations of Arda. There will be danger aplenty, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper)

"Rage he seems intent on directing at us."

- Objective: Defeat Shemhazai! At least one ally must survive. -

Vampires are pretty common in this fight. Vampires are weak to Holy, and are the only common foe who is weak to that. We have Ultima, who could hit that weakness, but I'm a genius who didn't think of that during recording. My choice of level III espers was Exodus, who actually isn't bad, considering the lightning foes we have to face.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper) continues.

First to capture the nearest summoning gate, to the west. Then, we swing back around (NOT going north - sticking to the south, as the boss is up north) to the east and capture that gate. Before finally dogpiling the boss.

After capturing the first gate, I dismiss my level I espers to free up affinity points for level II espers.

Some systems I haven't been talking much about in my commentary have been the astral crystals, and managing affinity points. They're both pretty background tasks, that just take a moment to do, but I think I should remind people they exist. Also, vampires spawn from the pool in the center of the arena, in pretty frequent waves, and are fairly dangerous.

Here's another wave of vampires right now. I take them out here. Astral crystals, if you remember, are up to 5 crystals that accumulate on the map screen, and can be used to raised the level of Espers temporarily, for the duration of the battle. I usually use them at the same time I'm summoning Espers anyway, as I'm doing here. I've been doing this for all missions since the system appeared, but I've not been mentioning I've been doing it. So... I am.

Heading northeast, killing more vampires. Getting some distance from the pool helps.

Flying units will fly right over the pool, and other units will walk over, so if you're ordering them both to do the same action, they'll take the fastest respective route for their unit type. It's important to keep this in mind, and watch your movement. Maybe even order them to move along the land manually, to make sure they take the same route? Not that it's terribly important here, but approaching all those ranged units, Llyud (or Filo) can be feebled easily.

From here on out, things get... messy.

Using Penelo's quickening at the last moment lets my level III esper (who is Exodus, by the way) live to fight another day.

Jut focus on killing the boss, wherever they are.

Soundtrack: Air Castle (Abandoning Power)

"As rage spreads through the sky continent, more such scions will stir."

"We can't let that happen."

"The fewer complications, the better."

"Complications?"

- Element of Treachery transforms the user into a shooting star, dealing devastating damage to one enemy. -

A few side missions ago, Filo wanting nothing more than to see a shooting star. And now Balthier has stepped up to the plate to fulfil her dream, that's... really nice. Wow. Thanks, Balthier.

As with most quickenings, we won't see this one this update, and we'll have to view it another time. This means we're waiting on two quickenings, so... I'll try to show them soon, as usual.

Now, as voted by you, it's time to head to the Glabados Ruins for some investigation!

- Last Will and Testament: The search to uncover the mystery of the Cache has led back to where it all began. What secret lies locked in the cold stone? The answer waits in a hidden chamber of the shattered ruins.

Soundtrack: Field 1 (Giza Plains)

"Counting the Stone Mydia has, there were three treasures in the Cache, yes?"

"Then that must mean there's a room here we haven't been to."

"The way to the hidden chamber lain bare."

- Objective: Find the hidden chamber! At least one ally must survive. -

We get no warning here again, but there are no Espers for this battle. So it's just our leaders. I've gone for a thematic party selection - Vaan, Penelo, Balthier and Fran return to the ruins - and Kytes is the only strategic selection I've made. If I were going entirely strategic, I would have picked Basch in place of Fran probably, but I'm not, so.

We're going to see 2 level III Espers here. One is Ifrit, and the other is the Elder Wyrm, a recolour of Tiamet. (Who I'm showing off in my party. But there's no Espers for me in this fight still.)

Soundtrack: Dungeon 1 Field - Dungeon 1 Battle

These ruins don't look too tricky.

Not many Espers show up at the start of the fight. There's a big, empty L shaped hallway behind us on the map.

Along this way is the hallway we travelled through in the first mission. Aww. But like I said, it's empty, I'm kind of sad there's nothing to see here but... whatever. Let's get into the mission for real!

The first group of Espers is easy to fight. Just attack. However, there's a gate standing in the way of us progressing.

To the northeast, down one of the forks in the path, is a little statue with a crystal in it. It looks cool, but it doesn't do anything.

However, to the southwest, there's an identical statue, and this one can be searched.

The results are entirely expected, it opens the gate, and some new Espers are summoned up here.

In one scrapped recording, I died to these Lamia. There, I said it, now I can't be ashamed of it.

But in serious, these Lamia are dangerous for the same reason that I use them to my advantage. Their attacks can cause confuse, which turns party members against each other. You can equip items to some party members to prevent them from getting confused, but I just used some buffs and killed them quickly here.

Vaan, they're dead, it's over, stop. Penelo's Esunaga can heal confusion on the fly, and also can clear away confusion from any party members left after the fight. So yeah I use it.

Northeast, another useless statue except green.

Southwest, useful statue, opens the gate.

Ifrit is summoned up from summoning this gate. Ifrit was the first Esper we fought, in the second mission in the Glabados Ruins and the whole game.

Since 4/5 of my units are ranged, Vaan gets himself in trouble a lot... also a physical Esper like Ifrit isn't a good opponent. Luckily, Vaan gets his quickening, and then... dies.

Oh no. This is what I get for picking thematic party members rather than going strategic. Luckily, Penelo can bring Vaan back to life.

And his quickening cleans up. Phew. Close call.

Gotta wait to bring Fran back to life. There's some more statues on either end of the fork, but neither are functional.

Our switch to the next gate is in much plainer sight.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword)

- Objective: Defeat the Elder Wyrm! At least one ally must survive. -

This is sort of how the fight goes.

After all that other nonsense, this guy is pretty easy.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 4 Field (An Imminent Threat)

"No, I sense something on the Mist. The other treasure was here."

"There's something etched in the stone. Can you make it out?"

"It's written in an ancient hand."

Soundtrack: Theme of Love (Ai no Theme)

"Why would a god from Lemurés build a temple in Ivalice? And what's this about a wife and children?"

"The Cache of Glabados was a father's legacy to his family."

"The hearts of men are wont to pursue ambition."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Feolthanos took a viera as his wife. Their children are surely the fair-skinned viera from whom Mydia is descended."

"The Gilgamesh started moving when we brought the Cache onboard, right?"

"Yeah, but what's that got to do with anything?"

"The Gilgamesh must've been called to Ivalice when we took the Cache! Feolthanos made the airship to bring his family to Lemurés!"

"All this time we've been travelling in a vessel of the Eternal."

Neat, I always wondered what sort of airship god would ride in. Turns out it's the same as Vaan's.

Next time, we'll see what the Giza Plains has to offer.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I never used level 1 espers after I got a few level 2 in my roster.

I guess it saved me the trouble of dismissing them but then again I'm going to bet that the rabbits are better healers than the carbuncles somehow. (Probably by summoning cap.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Everyone wants to marry a viera it would seem.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ok Amazing posted:

"Rage he seems intent on directing at us."

Heeey, Shemhazai's a woman! Just because she's half horse doesn't mean you should be rude...

ok Amazing posted:

Neat, I always wondered what sort of airship god would ride in. Turns out it's the same as Vaan's.

I think the more important question is, what does god need with a starshipairship?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, good. I was glad that I remembered that right.

Shemhazai is based on Ultimecia, right?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

According to the FF Wiki, no she is not! Apparently, she is the only one not based on a preexisting Final Fantasy villain or character from Final Fantasy Tactics. Further fun fact, she was originally nonelemental but was changed to Lightning element for this game. In XII she is referred to as female, but here she is called male. Maybe its a different translation of a gender neutral Japanese pronoun? I'm not sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

According to the FF Wiki, no she is not! Apparently, she is the only one not based on a preexisting Final Fantasy villain or character from Final Fantasy Tactics. Further fun fact, she was originally nonelemental but was changed to Lightning element for this game. In XII she is referred to as female, but here she is called male. Maybe its a different translation of a gender neutral Japanese pronoun? I'm not sure.

I think it's because she replaced Adrammalech (who doesn't appear), so they needed another Lightning Esper. I'm assuming it's because Ramuh was Flying and Adrammalech would definitely be Flying, so they needed something they could pass off as a Melee Esper.

Shemhazai isn't the only Esper to change elements, but at least it's better than Cuchulain, who got demoted to a level 2 Esper.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think it's because she replaced Adrammalech (who doesn't appear), so they needed another Lightning Esper. I'm assuming it's because Ramuh was Flying and Adrammalech would definitely be Flying, so they needed something they could pass off as a Melee Esper.

Shemhazai isn't the only Esper to change elements, but at least it's better than Cuchulain, who got demoted to a level 2 Esper.

But why is Ramuh flying? I guess he floated around a bit in FFIX, but he's usually depicted with his feet firmly upon the ground.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat. I don't even know where to start with this. Feolthanos... became a god, somehow? Or has the party just taken to calling him a god because he's buff as hell?

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Glazius posted:

drat. I don't even know where to start with this. Feolthanos... became a god, somehow? Or has the party just taken to calling him a god because he's buff as hell?

Well, he's immortal and incredibly powerful. He got the aegyl to consider him a god, too. Keep in mind we (or the party at least) still have very little idea who or what Feolthanos actually -is- at this point, so reverting to a title he already has is a solid option.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I thought it was said somewhere that Feolthanos was an Occuria. Now I think I've gotten things all mixed up.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #41: The Sword in the Shell + The Secluded

New logbook entry:

A Calm
  • We have passed below the veil of clouds and come to the Glabados Ruins, a place built for the children of Feolthanos. We aegyl are not without family, but we do not share the bond that you do. Our lives are short. What mightm those lives be like with such bonds?
    - Llyud

New Cu Sith quiz:

The quiz for the Arcturus is the same as a previous quiz for Balthier, the Rigel.

The quiz for the Lava Wand is the same as a previous quiz for Kytes, the Pyrowand.

The quiz for the Divider is the same as previous quizzes for Filo, the Mythril Cutter, Wavefront, and the Pressurizer.

The quiz for the Fumarole is the same as a previous quiz for Ashe, the Hornito.

Defender
Live by the sword... But what does the sword live by?
  • A shape edge.
  • A balanced blade
  • A wieldy hilt.
What is the mark of a true swordsman?
  • A strong sword arm.
  • Quick wits.
  • A focused mind.
What adventures await this sword?
  • Hunts for treasure.
  • Battles with monsters.
  • New discoveries!

I said we wouldn't be seeing the airship again for a while, and yet... here we are. A few characters get new dialogue after missions, but not all of them. This time, Llyud gets something new to say.

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"That reminds me. There was something I'd meant to ask you. Do you have any brothers or sisters? What about your parents?"

"My parents passed away several years ago. The aegyl are not as long-lived as you humes. I did not think much of it at the time. All things live and die. Why should my parents be any different?"

"Sorry. I... I didn't know."

"I am not so different from you and the others, am I? You lost your parents, but you still have each other."

"That's right! And we'll always have a place for you in our family!"

"Even Feolthanos cared for the children he left behind."

And out on the sky saloon, Ashe also has some new dialogue.

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"Yeah. You seem like you're holding up okay, though."

"(chuckle) As do you."

"I gotta admit, you seem more... relaxed than the last time we saw you."

"I suppose I might have changed... a little. I've left the affairs of Dalmasca in capable hands, but I would not have this drag on longer than it must."

I don't quite know how I missed it, but I think this side-mission was unlocked in chapter 6? I'm honestly not sure, but if it was, this means this is late. And I'm probably over-leveled for it. But, oh well, better late than never.

- The Sword in the Shell: Who can say 'no' to a legendary sword? Well, I've found one at Gugoza Falls. The only catch is, it's stuck in the back of a stoneturtle. Still, treasure is treasure!

"I don't think we have much of a choice."

- Objective: Defeat Aspidochelon! At least one ally must survive. -

I feel like I'm over-levelled for this. But thankfully, the mission doesn't look too hard, so there shouldn't be any strategy you guys miss out on hearing because my level is too high. It's a walk 'n' kill, not much to see here.

Soundtrack: Field 1 - Battle 1 (Giza Plains)

Enemies are fairly thin, but there's a big buildup towards the end of the level.

However, our target of murder starts all the way down here.

The Aspidochelon will flee to the end of the course, and we, of course, have to chase him while finding time to collect all the material nodes.

...Balthier has a really interesting way of mining materials.

Getting back on track, by keeping on top of buffs with Penelo and Basch, my team is bulky and unstoppable.

Kind of helps that our foes are kinda weak. But yeah, I am coming to this mission late, so there's that.

Finally, to deal with that big clump of enemies and the Aspidochelon at the end...

...I lied, we don't even get close to the final clump before killing our target.

Soundtrack: Penelo's Theme

"I don't get it. There was only one in the turtle."

"How'd it get there in the first place?"

"They say a swordmaster, mortally wounded seeking a great treasure, thrust his blade deep into its shell."

"What treasure is that?"

"Stoneturtle eggs! Tonight we feast!"

A feast sounds about right. C'mon, let's head to the cafe and see what Penelo's done with those eggs!

"No complaints here."

"Actually... it wasn't that bad."

"I think it's almost safe to stop and taste your cooking now instead of just gulping it down."

"Maybe you'd be happier without any food at all?"

"He didn't mean it!"

"You wouldn't do that... would you?"

Now, it's time to head onto Giza Plains. Will this mission be a good palette-cleanser? Let's hop to it.

- The Secluded: The party's investigation into the origins of the Judge of Wings points to someone with a fervent interest in the sky pirates' legend of the sky continent, but her identity remains a mystery.

Soundtrack: Field 3 (Dalmasca Eastersand)

"His patrol takes him through this stretch of Giza. He should not be far."

"No. I've told you all I know. We will approach them one by one until we find him. We should waste no time. An attack could come at any moment."

- Objective: Seek out the informant. At least one ally must survive. The informant must survive. -

This mission is probably the among the easiest in the game, if you know what you're doing. On a casual play-though, it might take a few tries, but once you know the trick to it, it's... yeah. Easy. The Yarhi spawn endlessly from off the map, and it can be tricky and messy. Equip Vaan with the sprint shoes and bring him, everyone else is just bonus.

But first, the gimmick of this mission is that there are 4 guards patrolling. You chat with them by walking near them. You have to walk near the right one to win the mission.

It's the one furthest away from you. I marked him on the map. Other yellow dots are white rabbits, which can support the guards, and you.

The guards who aren't the right ones will give you information on who is the guy you need to talk to.

Sometimes.

I hope nobody was thinking the informant would be a unique PC or something.

That would have been really cool, but no, just generic guys here.

The objective states your informant can't die, so the white rabbits help them live another day.

And since you don't know who your informant is, if any of these guys dies, you lose. As proof, the dead guy in the screenshot isn't our informant.

As tempting as it is to let these guys die, sometimes.

If you're too slow, a Titan will actually spawn, and proceed to wreck the guy who is your informant!

"Where to begin?"

Ok, I'm talking to him now, because I think that's all everyone has to say.

Anyway, just highlight your guys, and tap the guard I pointed on the map. Ignore all monsters, and use Vaan with sprint shoes. It's super-easy, I was just prolonging things to show off dialogue, this mission takes less than a minute.

Soundtrack: Ashe's Theme

"She was quite taken with the notion. Charming thing. Fair of skin, with golden hair. Did I mention she was a viera?"

"She could easily have passed for a hume."

"That doesn't sound like any viera I've ever heard of."

"I even commented how lovely her hair was. She turned as red as a Galbana lily. A cute one like that, you'd think her sued to such compliments."

"She ran off, and I've not seen her since."

"Did she tell you what her name was?"

"Her name? Now that you mention it, I think she did. What was it...?"

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village)

"There are different kinds of viera?"

"There are. The features the guard described can leave no doubt. Flaxen hair, fair skin, and short ears. And more long-lived than all other viera."

"We thought them long dead."

"With a keen interest in Lemurés. The plot thickens."

Something cool about this mission, is that winning it nabs you an Embroiled Tippet, an item which Ashe can equip. This item raises the amount of exp gained from each fight, making it a good tool if you ever need to do some level grinding, or just to milk as much exp as you can out of a mission. It's cool.

Next time, we head on over to our last destination in Ivalice, the Paramina Rift.

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 30, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think this plot twist would've been a bit more of a surprise if Fran hadn't spoiled it in the last update.

ok Amazing posted:

"Feolthanos took a viera as his wife. Their children are surely the fair-skinned viera from whom Mydia is descended."

Thanks, Fran! <:mad:> Seriously, though, did you do these out of order? Or maybe the game simply expects you to do them in a certain order.

(btw, you've got a broken image tag early in the turtle battle.)

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I'm not sure if the game intended a certain order, since you can do these all in any order. It did seem a bit like the Glabados ruins skipped ahead on a few things, but yeah, I think it's a script oversight. As for me, I'm just playing them in the order the thread voted, no funny business on my end.

I do have a savestate before the Giza Plains though, and will be playing the Paramina Rift before the plains using this savestate, but that will just be to show off some dialogue back on the airship's bridge/sky saloon, if there is any change. I've already recorded the post-plains dialogue, and since finishing all 3 missions moves you onto the next cutscene, that's the only way to show the post-rift dialogue. If there is any, I'm not sure, I guess I've gotta check though. I don't think they'll be any script changes based on the order you do them, but I'll post them if there are. Funny business exposed. Anyway, I played the Glabados Ruins before the Giza plains, and I'll be using savestates to play both the Giza Plains and Paramina Rift second, is my point.

Also I fixed the tag, thanks for pointing that out!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Let's kick the nigh-immortals out of our secluded forest hideaway into a world we've taught them to hate and fear. This can't possibly end poorly."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

"Let's kick the nigh-immortals out of our secluded forest hideaway into a world we've taught them to hate and fear. This can't possibly end poorly."

The Viera are actually in a pretty bad place in FFXII. It's said that their Wood is shrinking and they will have no choice but to leave it sooner or later. So they will get a taste of their own philosophy sooner or later.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #42: Ordered Chaos + Ye Who Rest.

There is a new logbook entry, and another one unlocked after the main story mission we're doing here. However, I'll post both at the beginning of next update. Anyway, here's something Fran has to say about the Giza Plains, then we're jumping into a side mission.

"To consort with outsiders has always meant banishment. Exile."

- Ordered Chaos: Aegyl gather at the auralith's cradle on Arda to stage their attack on Ivalice. Black worlds, but nothing unexpected. What is unexpected is to find sky pirates among their ranks. What's going on?

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Battle (The Beginning of the End)

"Aegyl fighting alongside sky pirates? Now I've seen everything."

"You ally yourself with the very menace you seek to repel?"

"Loyalty bought in auracite - no different than Yarhi."

- Objective: Destroy the enemy soul crystal! Your soul crystal must survive. -

Since our last soul crystal battle couldn't be won employing a swarming strategy, we need to get trickier. We need... flying espers, and flying leaders. Yeah, this'll work. The other leaders I bring are just ones I want to level up, doesn't matter who.

Soundtrack: Field 2 - Battle 2 (State of Urgency)

Got a good amount of level II espers at the start. I picked Diabolos, as they were element-neutral, and I wasn't sure what foes would be at the other end of the field.

Since the middle of the field is over water, and can only be traversed by flying espers, it means they can cross over to the soul crystal a lot safer. I send Filo, Llyud, their espers, and some of the Garchimera espers over too. I send my party leaders who can't fly over to grab the summoning gate, just in case. As it turns out, I will never need it.

All these guys have to do is tank the enemy leader and these harmless level I espers, and smash the crystal.

Good job, everyone.

We've finally invented swarming strategies 2.0

"Is auracite really worth turning against their own?"

"They lose that which the aegyl have begun to regain - their anima."

"Whatever the cause, a bitter war looms before us."

"The game is the same - only the stakes have changed."

Well, there's been enough waiting for our visit to the Paramina Rift, so let's play it!

- Ye who Rest: The Judge of Wings was sighted in the cold wastes of the Paramina Rift, but why has she travelled to this frozen place? What connection does she bear to those who rest here?

Soundtrack: Dungeon 4 Field (An Imminent Threat)

And already, we're finding out new things out about this place. Thanks for telling us it's cold here.

"What was she doing here, anyway?"

"Hey, Vaan! Look at this!"

"It's a memorial commemorating those who died in the battle of Nalbina. This site was chosen for its vicinity to the holy grounds of Mt Bur-Omisace."

I don't remember this war memorial being in the original FFXII. I might be mistaken, but if I'm not this must have gone up in the year between the games I guess.

"Look, Vaan! Velis's name is right there on the memorial!"

"Velis did say he was in Nalbina when the war came."

"So the Judge of Wings was visiting Velis's grave? I guess she has a soft side, too."

"Strip away the armour, there is still a person underneath."

"Then this is all one big stroll down memory lane for her? I didn't think she was so sentimental."

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

"You fanned war's flame, only then to heel like the cur you are before the throne of empire."

"I am no cur!"

"Your every breath betrays those who died for you. Is it not just that they should watch as you draw your last?"

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 2 (Desperate Fight)

- Objective: Defeat all enemies! At least one ally must survive. -

Last time we were in a battle with a lot of undead, I sorta regretted not bringing Ultima. Now all our foes are undead, Ultima is our choice for level III esper for sure. Basch is compulsory for this battle, Kytes is good for crowd control, and everyone else is susceptible to frostbite, this is a very typical selection.

We start off with one summoning gate, and a bunch of others not ours on the field for taking. There's also a fair smattering of foes out there already. This initial summoning gate is only useful for summoning up your level III Esper, it's too far out of the way to use again.

We can break into the sort of doughnut-shaped area full of baddies by exploding some bombs on them. This also gets rid of our bombs, freeing up their affinity points for summoning more lamia.

The foes will spawn indefinitely from summoning gates, even though there's no one there to summon them. Spooky.

The first gate I'm going to capture is the west. In order to win this fight, you should capture all 3 summoning gates to plug the spawning of foes, and then pick off the survivors.

The next gate is the one to the east. More foes are piling up around the gates, which makes capturing them harder, but Ultima is just tearing through them all like paper pretty much.

Finally, to the north. Your party members can capture gates, which your espers kill the foes.

Now all the gates are plugged, I use astral crystals to buff my espers up. It's just a matter of killing whoever's left now.

And that's all that's left.

It's not a hard fight to win now.

Plug the summoning gates, plug the summoning gates, plug them before they spawn too many zombies to deal with. I'm just repeating it, because it's the absolute key to victory here.

Soundtrack: Ashe's Theme

"No, though she would have you believe otherwise."

"Yes, but do people make the times, or the other way round?"

Soundtrack: Theme of the Empire

"Our struggle is never truly won, is it? Always must we fight for our future."

After this bit, the game automatically goes onto the next round of taking counsel. However, if you did this mission second, you'd get to return to the airship and find one little snippet of conversation:

Riveting. So, next time, taking counsel part 2! Time to just talk to everyone on our airship again draw up our battle plan against the Judge of Wings.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Basch is kind of a badass.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Basch is in fact pretty drat awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ok Amazing posted:

We've finally invented swarming strategies 2.0

Yarhi rush. gg.

That was probably a better Basch moment than he got in FFXII proper.

And Larsa is really slacking off here. He should be giving us legions of redshirt goons to use as disposable shields. He's a terrible emperor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting trick she pulled. Were the zombies wearing ancient wrappings or the remains of war uniforms? I suppose it's too small to see, either way, but I suppose it's the former; explaining how they were so easy to see through.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #43: Taking Counsel (2) + Comfort Food.

New logbook entries:

Rabanastre
  • I paid a visit to Rabanastre while Vaan and the others were down in Giza. Migelo was worried about everyone, naturally, but he seemed to relax a bit once I told him what had been going on. At least he gave me a warmer welcome than I got at the Sandsea...
    - Tomaj

True Captain
  • To be honest, I never thought much of Basch from what I'd heard about the war and the Empire. Now I realize that everything he does is to protect others. One day, I'm going to be like him.
    - Kytes

Soundtrack: Revealed (The Forgotten Capital)

"The Judge of Wings is really a viera named Mydia. Only she's not just any viera, she's one of the last of the Exiled viera."

"And that's why she went looking for the Cache of Glabados - its connection with the Eternal."

"But what happened to her after she found the Cache?"

"That's the big question, isn't it?"

"If I may..."

"The inscription!"

"That's when she found a way to get to Lemurés!"

"She knew that her tribe of viera were the sons- or daughters, in this case - of Feolthanos. She went to Lemurés looking for him."

"There's one thing I still don't understand: Why leave a trail that we could follow? Unless she wanted us to find it..."

And with that, we get control of Vaan again.

"...has issues that need resolving."

Feolthanos is pretty much the two things Balthier likes the least.

"The Exiled flouted these laws, and met the same fate as all who do."

"What reason could she have for this?"

"It should not be long before they have news to report."

We can't visit the sky saloon, and checking the notice board will have Penelo say...

"Have you seen Filo or Kytes anywhere?"

Which leaves us with only one option! Let's launch!

Knew it.

"We can't read a word."

"Where'd you dig that up?"

"We wanted to give it to Larsa. You know, a surprise."

"Sorry we didn't tell you."

"The Feol viera. They dwell in Roda Volcano - in Bervenia."

"Thank you. This will no doubt prove a vital discovery."

It just warms my heart to see these 12 year old kids bonding over the discovery of a volcano.

Roda Volcano wasn't a location that was in the original FFXII, however it's not a new location to Ivalice. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance also featured a Roda Volcano, which is significant for having a Totema (boss) battle.

Now we can travel to the Sky Saloon, and Filo has a new memento for us.

This one is for completing 70% of the missions in the game.

With our new décor hung up, it's time to return to the most groan-worthy subplot of the game.

"A gentleman never kisses and tells."

"Especially when there's nothing to tell."

"That does make it easier, doesn't it?"

"She was out of your league. You gotta be realistic about these things."

"What about Queen Ashe?"

"I'd stick to keeping bar."

"A good streetear knows when to talk and when to listen. I think I've done enough talking for awhile."

"It was a nice idea, giving you that map."

"In truth, though I was happy for the information provided, I was happier still for the gesture. I'd like to return the favour."

That's a nice idea Larsa, but what does an emperor have to give to a couple of orphans from Lowtown?

"Don't get too caught up worrying about it. They're your friends now, too."

"I wonder what secrets to the Judge of Wings's past wait for us in the village."

"Whatever he is, he cannot be a being like the Occuria."

I know some of you had a theory about Feolthanos that went like this, so... you're wrong. Basch said so. Yeah.

"You should know there's no such thing as an ordinary treasure."

"Hmph. It wouldn't have killed you to tell me!"

"But you are so blissful in your ignorance. Besides, it hasn't stopped you from making a fine captain."

"Was that an insult or a compliment?"

Balthier hasn't learned his lesson from the time Vaan decked him, good.

"The Cache of Glabados was the key to the Gilgamesh. So the Gilgamesh is in turn the key to the eternal. I haven't lost you again, have I?"

"The Feol viera kept themselves far from hume and viera alike."

"It's hard to keep up an appetite in the middle of all this fighting."

"Speak for yourself. I don't wanna go charging into battle on an empty stomach."

"Maybe Tomaj knows where we can find something for a nice meal. You should check the notice board."

"That's a good idea. I'll give it a look."

I really though I was done with all the side missions for this chapter. Doesn't matter though, we can just squeeze this mission into the update!

- Comfort Food: It's been a long, hard fight, but moping about won't do you any good! Straight from my ears to yours: fresh foodstuffs in Arda! You owe it to yourself!

Soundtrack: Pleasant Conversation (Clan Headquarters)

"Nothing comes between a sky pirate and his dinner. Tonight we earn our meal."

"Better I lend a hand and it be done with quickly, so we can attend to more pressing matters."

What more pressing matters? It's not like we've found the Judge of Wings inside a volcano and should be chasing after her right this second.

- Objective: Gather the foodstuffs! At least one ally must survive. -

This is an easy battle. Bringing Balthier, because he said he'd lend a hand didn't he? Bringing Ashe, to level her up. And everyone else is everyone is lets do this.

Soundtrack: Field 5 - Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

If you equip Vaan with the sprint shoes, or forget to un-equip them, sometimes it's a liability, as he can move too far away from the group and become vulnerable.

Sometimes, the AI is just bad. Vaan gets 'stuck' on these enemies for a while, but navigates past them eventually.

You don't even have to kill everything, you can just nab the eggs and be done.

A logbook entry a while back mentioned Yarhi don't make good food, as they vanish after they're defeated. Normally it would be more fun to kill everything, but we're hungry lazy sky pirates today.

This isn't even a mission I was late to do, it's just so simple it's not interesting. Don't feel bad I skipped over a lot of it, there wasn't much to see.

Soundtrack: Balthier's Theme (Destiny)

"I daresay Vaan regards these errands more highly than most."

"He does have trouble keeping his priorities straight."

"Right. Thanks, Balthier."

Lets go see how Penelo's doing at her cafe after all that.

"I've gotta hand it to you, Penelo, it really has. Even Kytes and Filo are cleaning their plates. I don't know what you did to those eggs we found in the mountains, but they were fantastic."

"He wouldn't touch it, huh?"

"For all his sophistication, he is in many ways still a child."

"Actually, that makes a lot of sense. He definitely likes things his way."

"You have come to know him well."

Next time it's out of the frypan, into the fire.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh Tomaj. What were you thinking?

Also gently caress the next mission.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't suppose the game has a "map" that shows where this Bervenia is in relation to Dalmasca and such? I'm sort of curious how the map of FFT fits in with the map of FFXII. But then again, it probably doesn't because of the huge cataclysm that hit between the two games, sinking cities and whatnot.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't suppose the game has a "map" that shows where this Bervenia is in relation to Dalmasca and such? I'm sort of curious how the map of FFT fits in with the map of FFXII. But then again, it probably doesn't because of the huge cataclysm that hit between the two games, sinking cities and whatnot.

Sure there's a map, its a Nintendo DS game and there's a map on the top screen.

One is a clean map, the other one is where I labelled the locations myself, also the blue dot is just the location of the dreadnought leviathan aka the place where you tap to go back to Lemurés, so it's not anything. Nothing here reminds me of anywhere geographically in final fantasy tactics.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You're right, it doesn't really seem to match up, although it's hard to tell with all the mist or whatever it is covering half of that map. I wonder if even Matsuno has a "canon" Ivalice world map somewhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how exactly do they not starve inside a volcano where nothing can grow?

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Glazius posted:

So how exactly do they not starve inside a volcano where nothing can grow?

Maybe they hunt monsters or something for food? I seem to recall monsters (actual standard monsters as opposed to our Yahri) being edible somewhere in at least one Ivalice game.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #44: Fighting Back Tears

There's nothing new for us in the ship's log, so let's jump right into it.

"Finding Mydia will do nothing to ease this, but still I feel I must."

"Oh yeah? How come?"

"Well, with Velis gone, maybe part of her anima's been restored. And if it has, maybe that part wants us to find a way to stop her."

"We won't know for sure until we find her and talk to her."

"The Feol viera village must be where Mydia's from, right? Maybe we can find out something by talking to the people who knew her."

"It should have us in good with the emperor, and there might even be treasure in it."

Well, maybe we can ask him when we're done in the volcano. It's been long enough, let's head to it!

- Fighting Back Tears: The map in the ruins showed the way to a hidden village of exiled viera - Mydia's home. Following the only clue they have, the party makes for a volcano indicated on the map.

Soundtrack: Field 5 (Challenging the Empire)

"A mountain of death few would dare approach."

- Objective: Reach the top of the volcano! At least one ally must survive. -

This mission is basically training wheels for the next mission, which is one of the hardest in the game (and that's not just my opinion). Mateus is our esper of choice, and if I'm going to be honest, I don't quite remember why. I think they're to counter bombs without being weak to fire. Vaan's sprint shoes can be helpful, and Kytes is pretty much a must-take, as is Penelo. There is a change I would have made to this party, and we'll see that during the mission.

Soundtrack: Field 5 - Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

Although this mission is the easy version of the next one, and can be beaten with whatever usual strategies you'd employ for a fight against fire espers, paying attention to some of it's quirks will put you in a good place for the next fight.

Things start off pretty cruising. Kill some flans, nab an early treasure.

It might look like we can head straight up and to the southwest summoning gate from here going by the map, there's a sheer cliff in the way.

Looks like we're going southeast, and to our first bomb fight. Observation for the next fight 1: Bombs will explode if given the chance, and it hurts. A lot. But Kytes can still take them out in one majick ability, and magick ability except Fira, even the ones which bombs aren't weak to. This is why Kytes is a must-take.

After beating the bombs, I capture the summoning gate. On to the next foes. Um hey is that another bomb in the corner.

Observation for the next fight 2: Bombs make a formidable foe, especially in large numbers, and tend to come out of nowhere here. These guys spawned behind us after we trod on the area between the summoning gate and the other enemies, and they do a lot of damage. Kytes can still take them out in one magick, but they're too wide spread to get in one magick.

Well, that problem is gone, but there's another. Penelo's dead. Observation for the next fight 3: Only two characters have the ability to raise other characters, Penelo and Llyud. Bring both along next time, so they can mutually revive each other and you'll never be without one. This is also the one change I would have made to the party, replacing either Balthier or Fran with Llyud.

I've marked the path I've travelled so far, in case anyone reading is lost. The end is in sight, and without Penelo, I'm planning a grab-that-last-treasure-and-get-out strategy, just make a run for the flag marked on the map pretty much.

I kamikaze everyone else, to thin the path for Vaan's dash to the end.

It's a pretty newbie strategy, but I figured it would work out. A bit hasty and probably not the best way to learn from this level, but to be honest, there were a few failed attemps at the bomb section earlier and I was keen on finishing and.

Ha ha what.

Somehow, my guys had overwhelmed all the enemies at the end there. I guess with the type matchups, it was bound to happen, so I'll take it.

I wanted to do things the cheap way, but ended up doing them right. Huh.

Look, I know it's been a while between updates, so it won't be hard for the next update to be a shorter wait between now and next time. Then, we'll see what awaits us in Mydia's homeland, and also get to fight fire with fire and put into practice the lessons of this fight.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...Okay maybe not this mission. I remember it was one of the Roda Volcano missions and it just sucked.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well, it's nice that the exiled Viera still have a giant volcano tree to hang out in. This way they can still be snooty about the "Green Word" to all outsiders.

Also, bombs are a pain in the rear end in almost every Final Fantasy game. Screw those guys.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I had always meant to play this game, being a fan of the genre. Just never got around to picking it up during the DS era.

The character portraits are really cute.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A dead volcano tree is a pretty great setpiece.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I just posting this in the Let's Play sandcastle, but I'll crosspost it over here too, because it's kind of important.

I feel really weird asking this, but lately, I've been feeling a lot of burnout and apathy towards working on this Let's Play. I've tried the common variations of just chilling and forgetting about it for a while, and also forcing myself to work on it. Long story short though, is that I don't think I can get it done, and I wanted to ask if anyone wants to take over for me?

It's a fair way though the game, and I'd want to finish one last update (which has been sitting on my hard drive unfinished for a couple of weeks) before handing it over. I feel like it's kind of a lovely thing to do, asking somebody else to finish up my work for me, but I also think it would be lovely to get so far into the game and then just drop it without trying to find another way? And I don't know what else to do, but to see if I can hand the Let's Play onto someone else. (If you have other suggestions though, that's cool, but I really can't think of another way.) Obviously, I can provide save files and stuff. I'd also like whoever takes over to continue in a similar format to what I've already been doing, showing off all NPC dialogue and logbooks and stuff, but beggars can't be choosers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sucks that you're burnt out on the LP, but spending your time on a hobby you're not enjoying would suck more. Sadly I don't have this game or the time to become familiar enough to LP it, so I can't help you here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd honestly like to do it, but with my own LP going on and workload starting to pick up again, I'm not sure how much time I'd have to do it. I'd remain interested in the LP if anyone else wants to do it, however. I wouldn't like the effort to go to waste.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I wouldn't like this effort to go to waste either, which is why I'm asking the question now. There's still one more update from me to come. I did like half of it imminently after the last update I posted, and then just couldn't bring myself to work on it for a few weeks. This isn't the first update which has taken stupidly long, which is why I'm putting the call out for somebody else to take over now.

Look, it's been less than a day since I asked, still lots of time for somebody to step up. In fact, I guess there's no time limit for somebody to step up. Thanks for your support guys.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I really want to take over for you but I have no experience doing this and haven't even played this game before. Plus there's school stuff. If you absolutely cannot find anyone else, talk to me. We'll work something out. I agree that so much work has been put into this and seeing it all go to waste would be just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I really want to take over for you but I have no experience doing this and haven't even played this game before. Plus there's school stuff. If you absolutely cannot find anyone else, talk to me. We'll work something out. I agree that so much work has been put into this and seeing it all go to waste would be just terrible.

Hey, I'll leave this open for longer, but if nobody else steps forward in let's say... a week after I post my final update, I'll talk to you about it. In the meantime, I'd recommend playing through this game yourself, maybe the screenshot LP format could hide the usual shortcomings of a blind LP, but I wouldn't count on it. I could give you my save file, if you just wanted to play through the end, although it would be kind of dumping you in the deep end in terms of difficulty.

With that said, I don't want you or anyone else to feel obliged to finish my LP for me if they really can't, for whatever reason. I mean, more than anyone else, I'd like to see this get done... with that said, if I wanted it done that bad, I'd do it myself? But I tried, and I'm burnt out? It's complicated, I guess, although not really. The point is, while it would be super-cool to have somebody else take this up, I don't want you or anybody to force themselves if they aren't really in a good position to do so, just for my sake.

• Locked thread