Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I believe I mentioned a bug with the final boss earlier in the thread that I'd explain after we saw it. I guess in retrospect "bug" isn't the right word? But we'll see.

As mentioned, the crates in the final boss battle only drop yellow ammo. It was also mentioned back during the video for That One Mission that when you die, you respawn with the ammo and dark eco you had when you died. This means that the more you die in this battle, the harder it gets, as your red ammo (best for fighting those scorpions), black ammo (best for fighting the third phase) and blue ammo (best in general) get depleted. When you die, you respawn at the start of the boss battle, after the cutscene, so you don't get a chance to restock.
On top of that, you might have noticed, during the brief scene where Kor descends for the third phase, the autosave icon. Your depleted ammo is being saved, so if you reset the game you still don't get ammo back. I don't remember if it still spawns you inside the boss battle though; you might have had to go through the whole final level again. Which isn't really much better.

That boss is drat hard, by the way, if you haven't played the game yourself. Heavenator is really good at this game and makes it look easy. It isn't. You only have eight hit points and all the boss's attacks take off two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jak 2 may be a very flawed game, but it is still a very good game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The kid doesn't talk, and a dog that only likes him, why, what a coincidence, loves Jak! I'm not really sure they were trying all that hard to make it a twist ending.

Desfore posted:

Wait, what's this about new Homestar Runner?

The Matt Chapman mentioned that for the first time in years he and his brother (and also Missy, who I'm pretty sure is married to Mike) are living close enough to one another that they finally can bring back Homestar Runner. They stopped in the first place because Matt got a real people job working as a writer for Gravity Falls and Aquabats and a couple other things, I think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Jak 2 may be a very flawed game, but it is still a very good game.

...dare I say it's better then 3? I mean I like 3 too and I know it's objectively better but there was just something about Jak 2 that made it more enjoyable to me. :saddowns:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xoidanor posted:

...dare I say it's better then 3? I mean I like 3 too and I know it's objectively better but there was just something about Jak 2 that made it more enjoyable to me. :saddowns:

It's honestly my favourite game in the series, and possibly my favourite game on the PS2 too.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
PS I was bullshitting everything from the second to last hit of the final boss onward because the file didn't download correctly, causing the video to abruptly end there. I didn't want to say anything during recording because we had already sat through the important parts.

Anyway, thank you all for watching. We've already started recording the next game, but it'll be a little bit before we can get it ready.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Tenebrais posted:

As mentioned, the crates in the final boss battle only drop yellow ammo. It was also mentioned back during the video for That One Mission that when you die, you respawn with the ammo and dark eco you had when you died. This means that the more you die in this battle, the harder it gets, as your red ammo (best for fighting those scorpions), black ammo (best for fighting the third phase) and blue ammo (best in general) get depleted. When you die, you respawn at the start of the boss battle, after the cutscene, so you don't get a chance to restock.

That boss is drat hard, by the way, if you haven't played the game yourself. Heavenator is really good at this game and makes it look easy. It isn't. You only have eight hit points and all the boss's attacks take off two.

The fact the the game does not respawn you with the ammo you had before is my one issue with this game. It makes an already hard mission downright impossible, to the point where you have to intentional die a few times to get ammo again. Losing Dark Jak really isn't that big a deal to me, but to most players it is a huge thing since Dark Jak is great for getting you out of jam.

kalonZombie posted:

We've already started recording the next game, but it'll be a little bit before we can get it ready.
Yes, the next LP won't be up until the end of August time. Look forward to it, because I'm not. Hint: It's not Jak 3

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

The kid doesn't talk, and a dog that only likes him, why, what a coincidence, loves Jak!

The dog liking Jak was the bigger clue since young kids, especially ones in a situation like young Jak, aren't necessarily guaranteed to be very talkative hence Kor pointing out the fact that the dog only liked young Jak previously.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 31, 2014

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
or the fact that he has green hair. I stopped playing around the temple of mar but I remember realizing that before then. But I didn't realize it was a plot twist till this lp. especially an end of game reveal Let alone an end of game one.

Also thanks for the lp. I sucked at this game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The whole Precursor spirit coming out of the "egg"/gem at the end looking nothing like the Precursors when they're finally revealed in three actually kind of make sense. The Precursors look aggressively stupid and know no one will take them seriously if their real forms are revealed. Hence the spirit looking like the elf-dudes in the Jak universe, or the crazy statues you see in 1/2. It's all a giant game of smoke and mirrors to hide the truth (and besides, they were being hunted down by the time traveling leader of the metalheads).

By the way, despite the reveal in 3 being so stupid, I do remember laughing and enjoying that scene. So, stupid gag, but fun gag.

Anyways, fun LP! I can't wait to see what's next from you guys.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well i felt that was anticlimactic.

Events in Jak 2 are just plopped into your lap without much more elaboration, and I found that they dont really have impact.

Good thing naughty dof figured out great story impact by Uncharted.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alkydere posted:

The whole Precursor spirit coming out of the "egg"/gem at the end looking nothing like the Precursors when they're finally revealed in three actually kind of make sense. The Precursors look aggressively stupid and know no one will take them seriously if their real forms are revealed. Hence the spirit looking like the elf-dudes in the Jak universe, or the crazy statues you see in 1/2. It's all a giant game of smoke and mirrors to hide the truth (and besides, they were being hunted down by the time traveling leader of the metalheads).

By the way, despite the reveal in 3 being so stupid, I do remember laughing and enjoying that scene. So, stupid gag, but fun gag.

Anyways, fun LP! I can't wait to see what's next from you guys.

The way I like to think about it is that energy being is the larval form of a newly hatched Precursor, and then they turn into ottsels.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Please don't post massive Jak 3 spoilers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

e: Well maybe that's too close to massive spoilers too. I dunno.

Play Jak 3 so you can angrily beep out your co-commentators every time they say that :v:

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

You mean bleep out Ape. He was doing it to spite me. Kalon did it by accident.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
If only because how annoying I know it is. Ape would randomly blurt out "Orvus dies" during a Crack in Time just to make sure I had to listen to the entire commentary track while editing it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like the way Ape thinks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Keeps you on your toes, trust your co-commentators as far as you can edit them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ape, you're welcome to be a guest in my LP.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is poaching guests from other LPs standard procedure for LP superstars?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yes. Ape, guest on my LP instead!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is poaching guests from other LPs standard procedure for LP superstars?
Yeah, it's how I got Retsupurae on.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I had this as a kid but I never got too far. Always wanted to see where the super serious dark story went. Thanks guys!

Can't wait for you guys to do Jak 3!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

If only because how annoying I know it is. Ape would randomly blurt out "Orvus dies" during a Crack in Time just to make sure I had to listen to the entire commentary track while editing it.

You should take it as a compliment. I only intentionally piss off people I consider to be good friends. Everyone else is an accident.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're serious about this hit me up, I'd love to guest in your LP.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Wait Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for this game? Huh.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

If you're serious about this hit me up, I'd love to guest in your LP.

Ouch. You win this round, LP Superstar Factsareuseless.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any explanation for how we get from here to the beginning of the third game? I always assumed there was an explanation, but now it makes even less sense.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought it all got explained in a super vague and hand-wavey kind of way in the third game's opening cinematic?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

The short version is, you know how Jak sometimes turns into an unstoppable rage monster? Yeah, turns out people aren't thrilled about that.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Okay, so I watched all the LP over 2 days, and it was really fun. But really, you can kill the deathbot ? My 10 year old self was screaming.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Heavenator posted:

The short version is, you know how Jak sometimes turns into an unstoppable rage monster? Yeah, turns out people aren't thrilled about that.
Plus you keep running them over and skateboarding on their heads.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Plus you keep running them over and skateboarding on their heads.

A misunderstood, and more than casual, relationship with the term 'friendly fire' may not have helped either.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

The Heavenator posted:

Our alliance with Krew didn't help things either.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jak 3 opens with the city under siege by both metal heads and Krimzon Guard robots. So Jak didn't actually end up saving anything, on top of being a monster and a criminal.

It makes sense, it just could have used a bit more time establishing these facts rather than brief snippets of sentences followed with "you're exiled now".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wwwwwwwwwait.

Is Sig actually Mar? Sigmar?

Or are we going to go on another mystical time adventure?

Probably shouldn't be asking.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i saw Jak: The Lost Frontier in a used game store a while ago. I thought that game had been canceled or somthing since i haven't seen or heard of it since it was first announced years ago.

How is it? If anybody here has played it of course.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I heard it was garbage so I never picked it up. To be specific, I hear the PS2 version is a really bad port of an already subpar PSP game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i saw Jak: The Lost Frontier in a used game store a while ago. I thought that game had been canceled or somthing since i haven't seen or heard of it since it was first announced years ago.

It's not made by Naughty Dog. It's crap just like all the shovel-ware sequels Crash got after Naughty Dog pawned it off to another studio. :saddowns:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How is it? If anybody here has played it of course.

This should tell you everything you need to know- For bullshit plot reasons, instead of playing as Dark Jak, you get Dark Daxter. And it was developed by High Impact Games instead of Naughty Dog, who were busy with the Uncharted series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

High Impact also made two Ratchet and Clank games as well, whilst Insomniac did the Future series. They're also pretty bad.

But if it costs hardly a dime, then might as well see how it is, just don't be too hopeful.

• Locked thread