Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Arsonide posted:

Went ahead and picked up Trainz12. Thanks again tater.

let me know how it runs, I have semi-modern PC and it runs like poo poo for me.
My dual core 3ghz runs worse than my single core laptop.
I'm going to put it on my internal HD and see how it runs then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I got Euro Truck Simulator 2 in the humble bundle. Can I have fun with it with a controller or a mouse and keyboard, or do I have to invest in the whole steering wheel setup?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

I got Euro Truck Simulator 2 in the humble bundle. Can I have fun with it with a controller or a mouse and keyboard, or do I have to invest in the whole steering wheel setup?
Keyboard will work just fine and I think there aren't any issues with a controller neither.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Some of you might be interested in my free 2D submarine simulator, Sub Commander. It's a bit like a really complex version of FTL set aboard an accident prone cold war-era nuclear submarine.

Most of the key systems on the submarine are simulated in detail, especially the nuclear reactors. It also features a huge world map, randomised missions, and dynamic diplomacy between nations which often leads to nuclear war.

Rock Paper Shotgun has written a few articles about it, I feel like this one sums it up well: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/09/sub-commander/

I'm still actively developing it and suggestions are always welcome!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Geoff posted:

Some of you might be interested in my free 2D submarine simulator, Sub Commander. It's a bit like a really complex version of FTL set aboard an accident prone cold war-era nuclear submarine.

Most of the key systems on the submarine are simulated in detail, especially the nuclear reactors. It also features a huge world map, randomised missions, and dynamic diplomacy between nations which often leads to nuclear war.

Rock Paper Shotgun has written a few articles about it, I feel like this one sums it up well: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/09/sub-commander/

Without even playing it yet, I can tell from that screenshot I'm going to sink a few hours into it

Good job! :eng101::hf::)

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
So I tried logging in to Goon Acres, but I'm missing one of the mods and I can't find it with the same hash. It's the Stoll Straw and Grass tools (V1.0) by Giants/Dread. Maybe you can update it to the latest one?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Zteuer posted:

So I tried logging in to Goon Acres, but I'm missing one of the mods and I can't find it with the same hash. It's the Stoll Straw and Grass tools (V1.0) by Giants/Dread. Maybe you can update it to the latest one?

Did you delete 'thumbnails' from the zip file?

PS: I didn't renew the server for another month, interest has all but died off, and I don't think anyone has even logged into the server in a week or more

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I just downloaded it and put it in the mods folder.

Doesn't matter much if noones playing anymore.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Sappo569 posted:

Did you delete 'thumbnails' from the zip file?

PS: I didn't renew the server for another month, interest has all but died off, and I don't think anyone has even logged into the server in a week or more

I mostly prefer to play single player because this game lags like hell online, and it isn't enjoyable

but also it is finals time at my college, and dragon age inquisition

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll just leave this here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323780/

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Skwee posted:

I mostly prefer to play single player because this game lags like hell online, and it isn't enjoyable

but also it is finals time at my college, and dragon age inquisition

Strangely for me the last time I played the walking around was extremely smooth and playable. There was just no one around so I stopped bothering.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Posting this in the Ulillillia thread right away

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!
And Train Sim-2015 is now on the steam sale. $8.24 for the next 42 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/51149/

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Geoff posted:

This is pretty drat cool

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Train Sim London to Petersborough route has some interesting decision making from the passengers getting off your train

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

The Train Sim London to Petersborough route has some interesting decision making from the passengers getting off your train

At least you can get it to run, mine just gives me a black screen and then just crashes back to the desktop. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind it was because I didnt have all the dlc installed.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 1, 2014

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

track day bro! posted:

At least you can get it to run, mine just gives me a black screen and then just crashes back to the desktop. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind it was because I didnt have all the dlc installed.

Try some workshop scenarios. Get ready to spend 1000 quid on DLC and then to throw the monitor out the window when a scenario crashes due to an AI train derailing somewhere because you're running a minute late. Fun times.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturζ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Back to FS15 and mod troubles:
Courseplay is still under development, but you can download the latest version/files from github if you're feeling adventurous. Though take note, that the game only accepts letters/numbers/underscores as the file name, which took way too long to realize when I was wondering why courseplay-master.zip would not load :downs:

[edit] Oh drat! They finally have a feature where if the tractor misses a waypoint it'll automatically brake to catch the next one, instead of doing impromptu tractor gymkhana.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 2, 2014

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

redpleb fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 4, 2014

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

JointHorse posted:

Back to FS15 and mod troubles:
Courseplay is still under development, but you can download the latest version/files from github if you're feeling adventurous. Though take note, that the game only accepts letters/numbers/underscores as the file name, which took way too long to realize when I was wondering why courseplay-master.zip would not load :downs:

[edit] Oh drat! They finally have a feature where if the tractor misses a waypoint it'll automatically brake to catch the next one, instead of doing impromptu tractor gymkhana.

Courseplay for FS15 is hilariously broken. I realise it's a beta and it's freeware, but honestly, I would never release it in this state. I suppose it's a perfect match for a bug ridden game. Most pathfinding mods seem to have issues. I wonder if it's a bug/fault in the actual game code that's causing these problems or just people hastefully updating their mods without doing much testing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
Here is a new simulator for all of you, and better yet it's free!

http://radiatoryang.itch.io/hurt-me-plenty

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

mackintosh posted:

Courseplay for FS15 is hilariously broken. I realise it's a beta and it's freeware, but honestly, I would never release it in this state. I suppose it's a perfect match for a bug ridden game. Most pathfinding mods seem to have issues. I wonder if it's a bug/fault in the actual game code that's causing these problems or just people hastefully updating their mods without doing much testing.

Not sure if you looked into the courseplay lua files but it is a goddamn mess to get this AI to do anything in this game.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
If anyone here has Train Sim 2015, and you've owned previous iterations, apparently things can break subtly during updates and you need to verify the game files to fix.

I had two scenarios involving one of the UK's most hated trains that never loaded properly, but now they did :v: All of Axeman Jim's posts about trains in that thread are a fun read, check them out.

I've been on one of these trains myself once, and they were pretty crap; loud and bouncy. Despite that, I found the happiest passenger in all of Train Sim on board.

This DLC is rather well done; if you open the window in the cab, you can hear the AWS alarm when using external camera. I wish more trains did that.

Also, some older Train Sim routes are now free on the workshop, the Seebergbahn is rather nice (but not based on an actual route): http://steamcommunity.com/id/rsmattp/myworkshopfiles/?appid=24010

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 6, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a new computer for the first time in like 6 years next week, does the Train Sim game actually get much nicer looking with graphics maxed out or is it still mostly nondescript slop?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Goetta posted:

I'm getting a new computer for the first time in like 6 years next week, does the Train Sim game actually get much nicer looking with graphics maxed out or is it still mostly nondescript slop?

Have a look on youtube. There are a lot of videos of recent releases. To me it's still a bit of slop, but scenery has improved both in texturing and detail since TS was still called Railworks. Of course RSC/DT did not bother to go back and update older routes. They're just as bad as ever.

Here's a static shot from a fairly recent route:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Patch for FS15

quote:

Change Log:

• Improved vehicle handling (1.2)
• Improved locked differentials (e.g. improves handling of Ponsse Scorpion) (1.2)
• Dragged tools no longer jump randomly (1.2)
• Improved physics of cranes (1.2)
• Jenz chopper works more reliably (1.2)
• FSI ST65T works more reliably (1.2)
• Cuttings trees works more reliably (1.2)
• Trees in multiplayer stutter less (1.2)
• Vehicles stutter less when moving trees (1.2)
• Defoliaging trees is correctly synchronized in multiplayer (1.2)
• Trees are worth less, especially when selling entire, non-defoliaged trees (1.2)
• Log forks can now hold single trees (1.2)
• Vehicles stop less quickly when releasing the acceleration pedal (1.2)
• Various visual improvements to the vehicles (1.2)
• Various smaller functional improvements to the vehicles (1.2)
• Performance and memory usage improvements (1.2)
• Added additional costs if the AI helper brings its own seeds, fertilizer etc. (1.2)
• Various improvements to the AI helper (1.2)
• Fixed moved vehicles when loading a savegame (1.2)
• Improved the geometry of the bunker silos (1.2)
• Reduced the enormous time bonus for missions (1.2)
• Fixed wrong assignments of statistics values (1.2)
• Various translation fixes (1.2)
• Improved controls with gamepads or steering wheels (1.2)
• Increased the capacity of the manure heap (1.2)
• Mods now have the possibility to show the current time on the indoor hud (1.2)
• Reduced the costs when using the high pressure washer (1.2)
• Added option to disable Adaptive VSync (1.2)
• Added option to disable the AI traffic (1.2)
• Added option to change the time it takes until a vehicle is dirty (1.2)

Some pretty good stuff in there

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Skwee posted:

Patch for FS15

Looks like they fixed all the multiplayer woes when logging, but I guess they didn't like people dragging entire trees into the lake :haw:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Skwee posted:

Patch for FS15

I'm loving the stuff about tree-cutting and foliage in multiplayer working properly. That was a huge turn off for playing online. Every branch you'd cut, all the little poo poo would reappear every time.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Yep, it sure looks like they fixed things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJO8pLBp1BI

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It seems like there's a lot of shovel ware simulators out there right now.
Ropeway Sim,
Beach Resort
Mining Industry
Snowcat
baseball management
Consturction sim

All of them seem to be crap/shovelware.
Mining industry would be fun but I have a feeling it's more management sim than doing stuff sim.. I wanna scrape and explode stuff then run it thorugh the collection process.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
I'm just surprised that there isn't a legit good taxi simulator yet. Or really any driving job simulators.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Taxi is fun for 5 min or so.
There is citi car driving.. I dont think there is a way to make a taxi run for it though.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
Why would it only be fun for 5 min if a game like euro is for hours on end? Not long enough trips? I just want euro truck in a car. And yes I have City Car Driving but the issue with that is there is no set goal and just driving around a city with no destination is pretty boring.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Because its 3rd person the controls are simple and the city is small.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
Oh you meant the game Taxi and not just a taxi game, my mistake. Yeah that game is terrible I agree.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harminoff posted:

I'm just surprised that there isn't a legit good taxi simulator yet. Or really any driving job simulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR_JbuXYiCY

:colbert:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
That's why I specified simulator and not arcade game.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, Crazy Taxi is a 100% true to life simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Γ°ΒŸΒ‘Β½
There is this though...

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44437.0

• Locked thread