Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant hear dailogur for poo poo on my tv. fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow post good 3.1/3.0 setups including receivers for real world working-person prices, tia

hdmi is required and airplay would be cool

in 3.x setups are sounds mixed for the rear speakers just sent to the FL/FR?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

this appears to be the dumbest loving movie

it was really good and the wiki plot summary elides the deftness of the transitions between fantasy and reality. the editing trick is really well done and makes the film feel super energetic and claustrophobic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did you just tell me to go gently caress myself

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is for my tv which does not have vlc

turn on dynamic range normalization on either the TV or the box supplying the audio, do not do both.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pagancow post good 3.1/3.0 setups including receivers for real world working-person prices, tia

hdmi is required and airplay would be cool

in 3.x setups are sounds mixed for the rear speakers just sent to the FL/FR?

I've never bought anything less than some $300 a tower speakers. Everything just sounds like poo poo under that price.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pagancow posted:

I've never bought anything less than some $300 a tower speakers out of a white van that were on super discount closeout, i'm the Deal Hunter

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if you really want budget speakers, buy the parts and build a box and shove the padding in there. I'm sure there are ways to build killer speakers for about $100 a piece

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i know what a screener is you fuckin idiot

i was poking fun at smythe's also tongue-in-cheek implication that he was in with some big hollywood elitez cause he knows a dude that works at a movie theater or smth

pretty sure he is a dude that works at a theater

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite sound system I've ever owned was 5 identical speakers

if you want cheap easy to position speakers check out the nht superzero at $99 each

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

who loving cares this place is a dump and everything sucks just post goofy poo poo now and then, if it grabs ya, it grabs ya, if not, it doesnt. move on

this convo has already gone on like 11 posts longer than it should have

hey cool i'm done here

so.. uh.. should i join an irc channel or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

the wikipedia summary is really confusing and makes it sound like a monkeycheese mashup of Wacky WeS anderson THigs That Happen Cause Life, Maaaan

the actual wes anderson movie that lost to it was much better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just cant take that dude. he has talent tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

i just cant take that dude. he has talent tho

if you think about the people making anything everything will be terrible

everything is terrible

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
since everyone is talking about surround sound, has anyone had issues getting a nvidia card to do surround sound over hdmi? mine always just configures it as stereo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

if you think about the people making anything everything will be terrible

everything is terrible

♩♬♪♫[eittheme.asf]♩♬♪♫

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

My Linux Rig posted:

since everyone is talking about surround sound, has anyone had issues getting a nvidia card to do surround sound over hdmi? mine always just configures it as stereo

HDCP handshake, the device on the other end has to identify with being able to accept surround sound. Routing through a TV will gently caress this up

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

♩♬♪♫[eittheme.asf]♩♬♪♫

best thing from that site:

:nms: :nws: http://everythingisterrible.blogspot.com/2010/10/time-has-come.html :nws: :nms:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

looooooooooooooollllll

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pagancow posted:

HDCP handshake, the device on the other end has to identify with being able to accept surround sound. Routing through a TV will gently caress this up

licensing and copy protection technology can die in a fire.

license bullshit is like 50% of my job and it's not what I'm supposed to do at all.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sorry I mean EDID handshake, it has nothing to do with content protection and more with idiot protection

"why cant i get 5.1 surround off my stereo TV??? WHYY I JUST SET IT THERE!!!"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

When I installed home theater a couple of times we just overrode dolby digital with 5ch stereo because "i cant hear all the speakers" :eng99:

i unironically try to do this sometimes, especially when i have music playing throughout my house; we have speakers in the ceilings going to pretty much everywhere on the 1st floor for when we have parties, so peeps in other rooms can hear music

i have a sony 7.1 receiver and for some reason this "7ch stereo" never, ever works properly.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
nah 5/7/9 ch stereo is legit as heck for even coverage purposes. but when people just refuse to understand the point of surround it's a little frustrating

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

somewhat annoyed youtube won't play back multichannel on the public video.
if you have multichannel, it will play back in their video editor, but not for regular view

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

nah 5/7/9 ch stereo is legit as heck for even coverage purposes. but when people just refuse to understand the point of surround it's a little frustrating

definitely

I just can't figure out why my sony receiver can't seem to do it. even when I choose "all channel stereo) a couple speakers never produce audio, and I know drat well they're hooked up.

sometimes they'll play weird audio like you only hear the instruments or something; almost like it's forcing some fake Dolby Pro Logic II even though I have all that poo poo off wtf

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's sony. it probably doesn't support 7.1, only SONY(R) SURROUNDXTM PRO DUO

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

very few receivers let you just do arbitrary signal routing since most people are doing it wrong and have wildly different rear speakers which would make it sound like mud plus they'd be mad that no sound was coming from the center so that needs processing to figure out what won't crush the rest of the channels since most centers are bigger than LR

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
man

the goodwill computer works near me closed :(

i was gonna see if they had any stereo receivers i could use for the computer, they usually had a few 80s brushed aluminum bricks. oh well :rip:

i kinda want to try one of those lepai switching amps but i don't think any of them could cope with a real speaker load (ie, not a perfectly flat line at 8ohm)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://waco.craigslist.org/ele/4913816369.html

i love craigslist :allears:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had one of those 300 disc ones it was cool for what it was but I was happy to get rid of it when hard drives got cheap

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah really

I like that the guy doesnt even know what brand it is (apparently) and also that he thinks its worth anywhere near 200 dollars

Ffs, it aint 2003 anymore. I guess i can see people being thrown off because spinny discs were the poo poo for like 6-7 years and then just dropped off the map.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Maybe like 15 years if you count cds? 20? Video discs deffo less than a decade

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got $100 for mine seven years ago so that "sanyo" is probably going to end up at goodwill

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah im thinking thats whats going to happen to most of my remaining spinny discs. Not worth the pocket change to try and sell

Now i am torn between a 70s/80s 30 lb. Monstrosity and an older avr with a spdif in. Spdif would be real nice for keeping computer rfi grot out of ~my audio signal~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there were some good late '90s/early 200s receivers with spdif, the denons and pioneer elite from that time were pretty good, plus sony ES or DB series [not sony RX-series]

I had a str-DB940 and it was great, could put out 4ohms x 5 all day no sweat. thing weighed like 45 pounds

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yeah no clue what the hell to do with all my CDs. a lot of them are CD singles that have some rare stuff on them that isn't even on youtube. I'm stuck in the weird hoarder limbo where I do not want them yet I do not want to throw them away lol fml

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

upload them to youtube or a torrent site

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

there were some good late '90s/early 200s receivers with spdif, the denons and pioneer elite from that time were pretty good, plus sony ES or DB series [not sony RX-series]

I had a str-DB940 and it was great, could put out 4ohms x 5 all day no sweat. thing weighed like 45 pounds

I thought DB was the walmart end of sony? Or am i thinking of DE? ES still seems p legit tho

I dont need a ton of power, the speakers i will be using are 88 or 89 db sensitive and i will be within a meter of them sooooo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

yeah no clue what the hell to do with all my CDs. a lot of them are CD singles that have some rare stuff on them that isn't even on youtube. I'm stuck in the weird hoarder limbo where I do not want them yet I do not want to throw them away lol fml

Yeah i have one or two favorite albums i will keep around but mostly its just a psychic ball and chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i just put them away and eventually ill have to clean out the closet and then get rid of them

i'm doing the same with my dvds right now, some of these are out of print criterions though i wonder if they worth anything

• Locked thread