Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Toadvine posted:

Can I just say that culture has no inherent value??

culture is dumb as hell, wanna yell about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JiveHonky posted:

This is the internet.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, he is in fact a very cool and smart dude

The problem is like all jokes, the joke eventually gets old and lots of people who don't get the joke engage him and poo poo up threads.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was funny until everyone could recite the movie line for line in school. Many jokes have a shelf life.

YEah, I guess the SMG = Sarah Michelle Geller joke is well past it's prime.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

This is the internet.

*points at own nose*

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Toadvine posted:

Can I just say that culture has no inherent value??

Actually sometimes you can culture flip a city.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Roylicious posted:

Actually sometimes you can culture flip a city.

Yeah but it means one of you settled in a really stupid place and it would almost always be better just to obliterate it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

JiveHonky posted:

actually the Culture owns and Iain M. Banks was a great author and cool dude *obliterates u with a gridfire intrusion*

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

What counts as a marginalized culture? Take the Irish. Screwed over for most of the last millennium, they've had peace for what, 30 years?
Irish pubs with shamrocks and leprechauns and green drinks are extremely problematic and culture appropriation. imo shut down irish pubs

also gently caress guinness

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Normally I wouldn't bother, but a bunch of you seem to have well thought out opinions, so here goes.
What counts as a marginalized culture? Take the Irish. Screwed over for most of the last millennium, they've had peace for what, 30 years?
Is that a marginalized culture?

BTW, great thread guys, not just in content but in tone.

I think a basic rule of thumb could be any culture that is currently on the outs while some other culture is benefiting from the former's exploitation? Like things sucked for the Irish but I *think* they're okay now... but you could say natives in the Americas are pretty marginalized maybe.

Although how do you marginalize a 'culture' really it always comes back to marginalizing a group of people who identify with a particular culture and I think it'd be more useful to just address that instead of obfuscating it behind additional layers of stuff.

Like I'm pretty sure most Pacific Islanders are concerned with things like fishing rights and exploitation of resources by foreign powers and climate change caused by industrialized nations affecting their islands rather than their culture - which they care about sure but if you fix that other stuff the culture will be okay on its own imo. I don't think it really matters to the average Pacific Islander if a bunch of white people 5000 miles away are drinking alcohol out of a Tiki head or whatever.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 30, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

I think a basic rule of thumb could be any culture that is currently on the outs while some other culture is benefiting from the former's exploitation? Like things sucked for the Irish but I *think* they're okay now... but you could say natives in the Americas are pretty marginalized maybe.

Although how do you marginalize a 'culture' really it always comes back to marginalizing a group of people who identify with a particular culture and I think it'd be more useful to just address that instead of obfuscating it behind additional layers of stuff.

Like I'm pretty sure most Pacific Islanders are concerned with things like fishing rights and exploitation of resources by foreign powers and climate change caused by industrialized nations affecting their islands rather than their culture - which they care about sure but if you fix that other stuff the culture will be okay on its own imo. I don't think it really matters to the average Pacific Islander if a bunch of white people 5000 miles away are drinking alcohol out of a Tiki head or whatever.

Stop being reasonable on the internet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roylicious posted:

Like from the perspective I was raised under, a lot of the colonized Pacific Islander groups care about one huge thing, which is getting their ancestral lands back. That isn't gonna happen, because now it's owned by Canadians and Chinese nationals and poo poo, or Wal Mart, so our second-biggest concern is becoming landowners--call it a paranoia, but the last time we technically didn't own our land after America took over, things kinda went badly for us. This isn't necessarily an easy thing but land is cheap outside of the metropolitan areas on the northwest coast, so we like to migrate there. But everyone who wants to stay in their homeland, well, that's prohibitively expensive now and there's a lot of legal action to repossess disused state land, or failed private subdivisions, and even then that's disregarding the whole "Hawaiians make up 20% of the state population but over a third of the homeless population" thing where a lot of us can't even afford basic housing, forget land ownership.

Even then, owning land is a tremendous investment for people who only fifty years ago were scrubbing themselves with steel wool because we got so much poo poo for being browns from every other culture group and it was illegal to speak Hawaiian, so yeah, people drinking mai tais and blue hawaiis out of a kitschy glass that doesn't actually look like any of our extant historical effigies is pretty far down on our list of things to give a poo poo about.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Stop being reasonable on the internet.

I think everyone is being reasonable and come to a rough consensus on the major points while leaving some room for differing views on the details and implications. Since this is new GBS maybe we could stop now instead of going on for thirty pages, devolving into increasingly dumb slapfights, then turning into a gamergate derail and getting the thread gassed. Just an idea.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

P-Mack posted:

I think everyone is being reasonable and come to a rough consensus on the major points while leaving some room for differing views on the details and implications. Since this is new GBS maybe we could stop now instead of going on for thirty pages, devolving into increasingly dumb slapfights, then turning into a gamergate derail and getting the thread gassed. Just an idea.

Seconded. I think this was an excellent inaugural debate for our new forum.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

but we havent touched on the real question: does a mai tai have orgeat in it, or falernum?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Yeah.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just want to say thanks to those who made the excellent point that it's individuals who are marginalized not non-discrete entities like cultures.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

This is a thought provoking video thanks for posting

Same, but mega-ironically

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Roylicious posted:

Like normally this would be an excellent place for a cargo cult joke, but in the spirit of wizened nu GBS I guess lock the thread?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Eating SPAM when you don't have to is a microaggression

And you're a real douchebag if you eat that spam sushi poo poo

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Olmec has been reduced to working as a drive-through speaker at Jack in the Box

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Applewhite posted:

I went to a Tiki bar tonight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VendaGoat posted:

I went to a Tiki bar tonight.

but brother let me tell you if they served you a blue hawaii and it wasn't basically vanilla shave ice with pineapple juice and vodka you really shouldn't give them your patronage again because that's just lazy drinkmixing

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Do I have to throw out all of my Lego bionicle toys now?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

but brother let me tell you if they served you a blue hawaii and it wasn't basically vanilla shave ice with pineapple juice and vodka you really shouldn't give them your patronage again because that's just lazy drinkmixing

I had a Miller Lite and played Pinball.

Do I have to pay reparations now?

cup holder full of dimes
Oct 1, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
you know whats real problimatic??
MY DICK!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is it supposed to be meta that people are manufacturing outrage at a pretty reasonable article? I have the same question about that Pepe poo poo.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm going to a regular poo poo dive bar tonight. They'll be appropriating gross restroom culture.

cup holder full of dimes
Oct 1, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
what if there are bumper stickers on the wall that appropriate someone
burn it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

P-Mack posted:

I think everyone is being reasonable and come to a rough consensus on the major points while leaving some room for differing views on the details and implications. Since this is new GBS maybe we could stop now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has anyone asked whether it is problematic to drink at a Tiki bar in Hawaii? :ohdear:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

P-Mack posted:

You know what.....

Yes. The site that has made so many 9/11 parody videos and gifs, made fun of presidential candidates, spoofed horrible and deplorable loving crimes, made fun of every lynch pin of social justice, since loving 1999 should draw the god damned line at loving TIKI BARS.

Yes, this is the "Bridge too far" for goons to traverse the internet to.

We've lampooned serial killers. Tiki bars, WOOF! That's just TOO loving MUCH MATE!

Place me into the old school racist grandpa camp. I think making fun of fuckin Pele isn't out of the god damned question here.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
use fewer words, all of you

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

proof of concept posted:

use fewer words, all of you

GOONS :lol: Make a tiki bar parody thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Thanks dude but it's GBS, I'm not gonna make sure my writing is loving academically perfect or even cohesive cause idgaf

Tl;dr suck my dick, you fuckman

All you are writing should be so concise

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Can we talk about Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple for a second? Because I liked that show a lot as kid.

Stupid idiot kids could never put the dumb statue together.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
they missed out on a great marketing opportunity not turning that talking head thing into an alarm clock or some other thing you can have on your desk that talks to you

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Roylicious posted:

Can we talk about Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple for a second? Because I liked that show a lot as kid.

Stupid idiot kids could never put the dumb statue together.

somehow i think today airing a gameshow where adults jump out and grab little kids would be a bit...problematic?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I'm usually pretty receptive to this kind of thing, but good god there are limits. If you want to stoke out islanders, there's gotta be a better way than going after Big Tiki Bar in drat near 2017. My city has a 1:1 ratio of church themed bars to tiki bars, which is to say there's one each, and nobody is visibly worked up about either of them. I'm sure there's some pasty nerd somewhere in town getting mad about the tiki bar, but I've drat sure never heard any of the local Samoans say word one, they're too busy making money. At this point the tiki bar is a "like the 70s, right. Have you seen fear and loathing?" theme and not a "like those dumb ocean guys, right?" kind of a thing. Maybe things are different other places, but this ain't a big deal here.

Interestingly, I've never heard word one from anyone about Church, which is an obnoxious cocktail bar with a cheeky religion theme, like the photo booth or whatever that people do coke in says "confessions" over it and so forth. Nobody gives a hint of a poo poo about that one, so the author's whole "CAN YOU IMAGINE" line falls pretty flat. Portland is a very non-religious city and that wouldn't fly elsewhere, but it's a very social justice-y city too. We have a smallish islander population that has disproportionately huge pull in the bar industry (Samoan security teams basically run the bouncing game in the entertainment district downtown), the place wouldn't exist within two weeks of them deciding they don't like it. That hasn't happened, their influence and the bar are both old things, I'm pretty sure nobody directly involved gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Did you actually read the article? They talked to one guy who said (paraphrasing) that it wasn't great but certainly not anywhere near a big issue.

• Locked thread