Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Vlonald Prump posted:

Um, is this homicide perpetrators or homicide victims

Because there are lot of middle class black folks who live in what are otherwise lovely neighborhoods
its victims

that image is actually pretty commonly used in white nationalist propaganda pieces lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its cool that Race Realists think its cool to post their drivel in GBS now. I hope you morons heed this wakeup call, the take a moment for some self reflection.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Smythe posted:

its cool that Race Realists think its cool to post their drivel in GBS now. I hope you morons heed this wakeup call, the take a moment for some self reflection.
you just dont 'get' their epic troll meme war against the tumblr sjw menace

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vlonald Prump posted:

Concentrated poverty is the main difference

There are no white neighborhoods with the same % of poverty as your typical ghetto. People usually get jobs through other people so if nearly nobody you know has a job, well

When most everyone in the neighborhood is poo poo poor rather than a fraction, that's when people start forming gangs to sell drugs

Have any links on studies into this?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Vlonald Prump posted:

There are no white neighborhoods with the same % of poverty as your typical ghetto. People usually get jobs through other people so if nearly nobody you know has a job, well

When most everyone in the neighborhood is poo poo poor rather than a fraction, that's when people start forming gangs to sell drugs

This is utter nonsense. Entire regions like west Virginia are broke and mostly white.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

tenspott posted:

This is utter nonsense. Entire regions like west Virginia are broke and mostly white.

They're too full of opiates to do crime

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Vlonald Prump posted:

Exactly, and that same concentration of poverty that leads to criminal activity leads to lack of business development and other tangible investments in the area, and around and around we go

A lot of native reservations grind through the same cycles under different circumstances. Its a lot harder to compare crime rates in meaningful ways because you're dealing with tribal law enforcement and BIA Police too, and reservations being in more rural situations dont have the same dynamics that crime orgs in urban areas do, so there's no way to really know how much crime goes unaddressed or unreported except "a loving lot of it." But the bottom line is the same, which is that generations of tightly compressed impoverishment mean there are few ways out and basically gently caress hope

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

tenspott posted:

The most impoverished white communities in America are a fairly recent phenomenon compared to the historically nearly always impoverished black community. White people have always held the advantage but in the community you mention and similar ones it has occurred only in the last 30 years or so. They cling and for some reason still cling to industries whose America based corporations sold them out for profit. And they still think their old industries can come back (they won't). They for some reason don't realize that the coal, steel, automotive, factory jobs weren't "stolen by the Chinese" but rather American corporations wanted the closest things to slaves which was dirt cheap foreign labor. Even though the manufacturing hubs of China have slowly created a large amount of skilled labor and hence have become increasingly more expensive (compared to initially), these corporations just move their factories to places where they can exploit more desperate people like Bangladesh

Essentially comparing those communities poverty situation to black ones is apples and oranges imho. I'd say the white people for those places are more geographically disadvantaged than socially like black americans.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The Bureau of Justice, the infamous BJ, sucks up all the best crime statistics like their namesake and founder, John Hoover

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

The most impoverished white communities in America are a fairly recent phenomenon compared to the historically nearly always impoverished black community. White people have always held the advantage but in the community you mention and similar ones it has occurred only in the last 30 years or so. They cling and for some reason still cling to industries whose America based corporations sold them out for profit. And they still think their old industries can come back (they won't). They for some reason don't realize that the coal, steel, automotive, factory jobs weren't "stolen by the Chinese" but rather American corporations wanted the closest things to slaves which was dirt cheap foreign labor. Even though the manufacturing hubs of China have slowly created a large amount of skilled labor and hence have become increasingly more expensive (compared to initially), these corporations just move their factories to places where they can exploit more desperate people like Bangladesh

Essentially comparing those communities poverty situation to black ones is apples and oranges imho. I'd say the white people for those places are more geographically disadvantaged than socially like black americans.

There's been dirt poor white communities since the 1700's in the US. There's still Appalachian communities that barely communicate outside of themselves. Like real backwoods hill folk. I think you're just thinking of urban poor and not rural poor.

You're right though. It is more prevalent for black Americans.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's been dirt poor white communities since the 1700's in the US. There's still Appalachian communities that barely communicate outside of themselves. Like real backwoods hill folk. I think you're just thinking of urban poor and not rural poor.

You're right though. It is more prevalent for black Americans.

Well you're right. I was particulary mentioning the communities in Rust belt and the original coal mining communities. The South also statistically poorer across the board.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Second Sun posted:

Blaming poverty on crime doesn't hold up. There's clearly a culture of violence among many african americans that makes the whole black lives matter movement seem incredibly hypocritical.

drat them Asians is peaceful AF

must be all the soy lowering their T

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

tenspott posted:

They're not broke because they're underqualified or their criminal records disqualify them or the recruiter might be kind of racist. They're broke because they have jobs that dont pay well and even when they do, a lot of them lack the education and cultural incentives to spend their money wisely. The whole racist stereotype of "hurr when poor black people get money they waste it on rims and chains" has a non-racist seed of truth to it among any group of people where a generation or more of insular compressed poverty and social expectations make it even more difficult for people who are new to money to use it as a tool for bigger long-term dreams of improvement.

The stereotype of the redneck is more than just a myth, there are lots of people who proudly embrace that as their identity and it is a deep one that goes way beyond tacky bumperstickers and lovely voting patterns. They place more trust and value in tangible possessions like cars and guns and a spot of land to put a portable home on than in savings or investments or education. A lot of them actively reject those kind of intangible long-term things as alien to their own identity. When you are truly proud of who you are, and who you are distrusts and scorns people with education and wealth, there's not much left to do but finance a bass boat

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To change the world you must be the change you wish the Obama Administration had enacted in the world

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

whoflungpoop posted:

The stereotype of the redneck is more than just a myth, there are lots of people who proudly embrace that as their identity and it is a deep one that goes way beyond tacky bumperstickers and lovely voting patterns. They place more trust and value in tangible possessions like cars and guns and a spot of land to put a portable home on than in savings or investments or education. A lot of them actively reject those kind of intangible long-term things as alien to their own identity. When you are truly proud of who you are, and who you are distrusts and scorns people with education and wealth, there's not much left to do but finance a bass boat
Sounds like my extended family in rural Texas.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Guns and land are pretty good investments though.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

whoflungpoop posted:

This seems to be arguing that poverty in, say, rural West Virginia is....just a result of the culture that they have there.

Like, I'm not persuaded by what unpleasantly turgid was arguing for the past few pages re: culture, which is why it's bugging that I think I could madlib this paragraph to make it his exact argument without changing all that much.

The Landstander fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 16, 2017

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Guns and land are pretty good investments though.

Rednecks dont buy land for investment tho, they buy a cheap plot install a cheap septic system plop down a cheap house and use the rest of the land to collect piles of rusty junk and bullet holes

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
See white people are poor because they choose to be, but only white people. Get with teh program racists

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Cephalectomy posted:

See white people are poor because they choose to be, but only white people. Get with teh program racists
all im asking is, why no white history month?

why no heterosexual pride parade?

what about men's rights?

just asking questions, guys

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
white history month would be pretty boring, thats why

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's concentrated urban poverty in other parts of the world without the extreme levels of violence. But it seems like a Western Hemisphere thing, with America's urban ghettos having something in common with Brazil and other Latin American countries.

I wonder what it is......????

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 16, 2017

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

whoflungpoop posted:

Rednecks dont buy land for investment tho, they buy a cheap plot install a cheap septic system plop down a cheap house and use the rest of the land to collect piles of rusty junk and bullet holes

I make good money and live in middle class suburbia but I gotta tell you that sounds pretty fun to me, guess I'm white trash at heart.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

I make good money and live in middle class suburbia but I gotta tell you that sounds pretty fun to me, guess I'm white trash at heart.

shooting guns at inanimate metal objects is pretty fun, and relaxing. My nigga have you tried .40 cal?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

You can have it too but since you're a middle class you get to call it a summer cabin

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lists of the most violent cities in the world are informative:

Caracas is a horrible nightmare. Interesting that the United States first pops up at #14 (St. Louis) and appears again at #26 (Baltimore). The only non-Western Hemisphere city to make the top 30 is Cape Town.

I'm no sociologist but I reckon that colonialism, slavery and various forms of indentured servitude are the root cause going way back. Brazil and the U.S. had slavery, although different forms of it caught on in countries like Mexico. (Most of the population were debt slaves tilling the soil on massive plantations until the Mexican Revolution.) Cape Town was the "capital" of white South Africa and enforced stricter forms of Apartheid.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you go to Mexican flea markets around where I live, you can find merchants selling candles and lucky charms bearing the image of Jesus Malverde, who was a mythical bandit and is celebrated by drug traffickers. But the outlaw image is also tied up in a populist, everyman thing since these bandits emerged as heroes when the Mexicans went on a rampage and murdered their landlords 100 years ago. It's cool I feel that way about my landlord sometimes.

Anyhow there was one votive candle I almost bought that said "NO POLICIA" on it. You light it to ward off the cops.

Funny story: One merchant I talked to said he didn't know who Santa Muerte was (like the Virgin Mary but with a skeleton's face and for drug dealers) until some kids wanted him to make some pendants with pictures of "Santa" in them. He ended up putting Santa Claus in the pendants, and the kids came back and were confused at this jolly, fat gringo with a big white beard. "That's not Santa..."

I dunno. I find it interesting. I don't think the United States is an exceptional country here, and more like a Latin American country that happens to speak English instead of Spanish, was founded in Protestantism and not Catholicism, and also happened to get real big and wealthier. But the social problems, the high rates of violent crime (including "crimes of passion" and road rage), the fusion of religion and politics, and (as we've recently seen) attraction to populist caudillo presidents, it has in common with its neighbors to the south.

Also instead of Malverde we have Al Capone.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 16, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

There's concentrated urban poverty in other parts of the world without the extreme levels of violence. But it seems like a Western Hemisphere thing, with America's urban ghettos having something in common with Brazil and other Latin American countries.

The CIA and the Feds assassinating community leaders or funding coups and opening the faucet on the guns and drugs pipeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT5MY3C86bk

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNLrw8W4Bk

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

If you go to Mexican flea markets around where I live, you can find merchants selling candles and lucky charms bearing the image of Jesus Malverde, who was a mythical bandit and is celebrated by drug traffickers. But the outlaw image is also tied up in a populist, everyman thing since these bandits emerged as heroes when the Mexicans went on a rampage and murdered their landlords 100 years ago. It's cool I feel that way about my landlord sometimes.

Anyhow there was one votive candle I almost bought that said "NO POLICIA" on it. You light it to ward off the cops.

Funny story: One merchant I talked to said he didn't know who Santa Muerte was (like the Virgin Mary but with a skeleton's face and for drug dealers) until some kids wanted him to make some pendants with pictures of "Santa" in them. He ended up putting Santa Claus in the pendants, and the kids came back and were confused at this jolly, fat gringo with a big white beard. "That's not Santa..."

I dunno. I find it interesting. I don't think the United States is an exceptional country here, and more like a Latin American country that happens to speak English instead of Spanish, was founded in Protestantism and not Catholicism, and also happened to get real big and wealthier. But the social problems, the high rates of violent crime (including "crimes of passion" and road rage), the fusion of religion and politics, and (as we've recently seen) attraction to populist caudillo presidents, it has in common with its neighbors to the south.

Also instead of Malverde we have Al Capone.

I bought a Santa Muerte votive candle at one of the local Hispanic grocery stores once. So far I'm not rolling in narco money though so it's not working.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Black people were property, state sanctioned (lowest point)
Black people were not property but had no real rights, state sanctioned (low point)
Black people are individuals with rights on paper and are recognized by the wide majority as equals but are subject to unofficial state sanctioned racism (where we are now)

The state sanctioned part is fading overall, more exposure (social media / news media), more accountability (cellphone video, body cams). The majority seeing equality is growing.

poo poo always gets the worst until the end goal is solidified (true equity). The racists are in decline and they know it, so they are flailing about in a last hurrah.

Fake edit: 1,2,3,4, I declare a race war! (paints one thumb white, one black and big toe brown)

Fake edit 2: To quote ice t "Racism is real but not it."

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

unpleasantly turgid posted:

And none of this is to mention that BLM insists that black people do NOTHING WRONG. It's always the cops, so gently caress cops. That's the take-away. White people comprise the LIONS SHARE of extra-judicial killings (50%), but that doesn't get talked about because there's a culture of accountability with white people. There may have, at some point, been one within black communities, but BLM has insisted that this culture is bad, and I've just linked you the results. This wasn't happening before, now it is. Explain that.

This misses the point wildly though, which is the police departments around the country are systemically loving with black people.

And justified or not they left Martin's corpse out on the street for hours and hours and hours so they didn't do their jobs right either.

quote:

There were 10 seconds worth of time to think here, and there was a lot of time for Philando to simply stop stressing this cop out.

lmao keep licking that boot

Not everyone on the left or whatever is doing good things but it always comes back to let's find the worst examples then paint the entire other side with the same brush and feel smugly superior.

Also did it ever occur to you there's a reason the craziest people are getting laser focused on by the news?

For what it's worth people said the same things about the Civil Rights Movement. The exact same ones. I can even link you polls from back then when a majority of white people were saying "I support them in principle but I don't support the actions they are taking. They are going too far and alienating their own supporters."

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 23, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why did you do such a terrible thing as bumping this thread

at least oxballs is out of posting commission for the next month

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Second Sun posted:

Blaming poverty on crime doesn't hold up. There's clearly a culture of violence among many african americans that makes the whole black lives matter movement seem incredibly hypocritical.

Yeah this isn't evidence that the police gently caress with black people more than white people regardless of wealth status or anything it is clearly that black people are just hosed up somehow, and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

get that OUT of my face posted:

why did you do such a terrible thing as bumping this thread

at least oxballs is out of posting commission for the next month

Bumping threads like this is far more exciting than just poo poo posting.

• Locked thread