Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Demon Of The Fall posted:

soccer is cool and hell, fun to watch on a Saturday morning

Smoke a bowl and watch some soccer. It's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Oscar Wild posted:

Smoke a bowl and watch some soccer. It's all good.

Or just smoke a bowl and watch something fun

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hmm yes. Soccer is blood.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Speleothing posted:

We need more televised women's sports in general, for this reason. Soccer, softball, hockey, basketball, football, volleyball, rugby, cricket, mma, whatever.

Replace all the mens' leagues. But play for real, no lingerie bullshit.

The only women's "sport" that I willingly watch is women's beach volleyball. Respect for women MMA, those girls are legit but they look too much like dudes to me. Don't care.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

The only women's "sport" that I willingly watch is women's beach volleyball. Respect for women MMA, those girls are legit but they look too much like dudes to me. Don't care.

thanks for bumping this dead thread to give us this gem

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
golf is clearly the master race sport cuse all of the most successful people play it

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
why do americans use 'toughness' as a metric for judging how good a sport is?
screams insecurity really

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

FlimFlam Imam posted:

My mom's boyfriend is British. Me and my brother are sitting there watching television, he comes booming in yelling "Up your irons boys!" I was shocked "I didn't take you for an Iron Maiden fan" to which he replies "What the gently caress you talking about, mate? I'm just asking to put West Ham on the telly."

I don't really like the guy at all.

He sounds ok. Are you sure you aren't just mad that your mom's getting CRUMPETED?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I kind of like American soccer with the big Super Cup event at the end of the season every year and the fact you got three chances to try and move the somewhat roundish ball.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I liked the american soccer hockey-style shootouts on penalties. Very dramatic and marketeable.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Looks like Atlanta United beat Vancouver 1-0! That's five in a row boys, way to turn it around even with that Dutch weirdo managing the team

Vaaaaaamos vamos vamos A-T-L!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Laurenz posted:

why do americans use 'toughness' as a metric for judging how good a sport is?
screams insecurity really

Unfortunately I can't talk about NFL football to any Australians or Kiwis or English people without them saying "OH YOU MEAN THE ONE WITH THE PADS WHERE THEY STOP EVERY 3 SECONDS YOU SHOULD SEE RUGBY THERES A REAL SPORT MATE FISH AND CHIPS NO PADS REAL MEN PLAY RUGBY GO THE ALL BLACKS"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Dont you have class tomorrow?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The_Continental posted:

Unfortunately I can't talk about NFL football to any Australians or Kiwis or English people without them saying "OH YOU MEAN THE ONE WITH THE PADS WHERE THEY STOP EVERY 3 SECONDS YOU SHOULD SEE RUGBY THERES A REAL SPORT MATE FISH AND CHIPS NO PADS REAL MEN PLAY RUGBY GO THE ALL BLACKS"

Rugby is pretty cool, but then you have to pretend the haka doesn't look embarrassingly stupid before a game or you're an rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand tradition.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
"Sport is for losers and has nothing to offer us as a society." He says, sliding one hand out of the Cheeto bag and depositing the extracted sustenance into his mouth of row and row of teeth like jagged cracked tombstones. In the same fluid movement, his hand thrusts between his belly and sweatpants strap and cups his testicles.
"The truly cerebral experience is found in video games, and within the other finer arts of the soul." The hand returns to his face, but to the nose this time. The sniff is deep, the satisfaction palpable, and the goon has settled the issue of leisure time for humanity.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The_Continental posted:

The padding ironically makes NFL more violent and dangerous than rugby, since it primarily protects the player doing the tackle. This means they can slam into other players full-on with far less risk of injury to themselves but with much more force being delivered to the recipient. Doing the same in rugby would carry a far greater risk of injury so the tackles tend to be more strategic.

It's kind of like how boxing gloves greatly increase the risk of brain trauma in that sport compared to bare-knuckle boxing, because nobody is going to punch someone in the head so hard they break half the bones in their hand.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elevator Screamer posted:

The padding ironically makes NFL more violent and dangerous than rugby, since it primarily protects the player doing the tackle. This means they can slam into other players full-on with far less risk of injury to themselves but with much more force being delivered to the recipient. Doing the same in rugby would carry a far greater risk of injury so the tackles tend to be more strategic.

It's kind of like how boxing gloves greatly increase the risk of brain trauma in that sport compared to bare-knuckle boxing, because nobody is going to punch someone in the head so hard they break half the bones in their hand.

I've seen a lot of hockey players from different eras say the same thing in interviews about the increasing amount of padding over the years. Apparently back when there wasn't as much padding just steamrolling a guy tended to hurt like hell even for the dude making the hit. Now it's not as painful for that guy so he's more than willing to drill somebody that hard more often.

E: I've seen a lot lament the gradual death of the enforcer for similar reasons too. Guys are less likely to just loving ruin somebody if they know some raging juggernaut with no teeth to worry about will be more than happy to knock out any of yours you've got left.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 20, 2019

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Respect for women MMA, those girls are legit but they look too much like dudes to me.

Go on

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Elevator Screamer posted:

Didn't that bareknuckle fighting championship that got started put an end to that myth? Pretty sure it just had dudes bleeding like hell from their faces.

Agreed on padding making sport impacts harder though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ilmucche posted:

Didn't that bareknuckle fighting championship that got started put an end to that myth? Pretty sure it just had dudes bleeding like hell from their faces.

Agreed on padding making sport impacts harder though.

What's worse for a competitor's health though, facial cuts bleeding or a heavier object (a gloved fist vs. a bare knuckle one) delivering greater blunt force?

To be clear I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, that's an honest question.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Soccer is the sport in which you gain advantage by appearing as weak as possible and falling over at the slightest touch, all while competing to see who can appear the least emotionally mature and/or most racist.

Well, men's soccer is. Women just suck it up and play, mostly because they get paid poo poo and are playing primarily for honor.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Honky Dong Country posted:

What's worse for a competitor's health though, facial cuts bleeding or a heavier object (a gloved fist vs. a bare knuckle one) delivering greater blunt force?

To be clear I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, that's an honest question.

Rugby players get facial cuts all the time but the rate of chronic traumatic encephalopathy is FAR lower than in American football.

Also it makes for much better photography

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I guess that's what I'm asking. Like is there less instances of brain injury in bare knuckle fights than boxing? Iunno I guess it's kind of an irrelevant question though since pretty much all forms of bare knuckle involve more than just head/body shots like boxing deals exclusively in. But either way I think it's probably safe to say that full contact sports full of crazy rear end impacts of some kind are likely more dangerous wrt permanent injury like brain damage and such with padding. If that's not the case though I'd love to read any sources anybody has on it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I used to tolerate soccer and even played it a little but I moved to England for a few years and now I hate the entire sport eternally because English soccer players and fans are the worst people on the planet.

Watching highlights of South American games at a Mexican restaurant while eating chips and salsa is legit though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tough guy "just bleed!" types need to get over it. It's 2019, that sort of toxic masculinity isn't cool any more.

The ability to express emotion should be celebrated equal to technical skill and athletic prowess. And in the world's most popular sport, it is.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I used to tolerate soccer and even played it a little but I moved to England for a few years and now I hate the entire sport eternally because English soccer players and fans are the worst people on the planet.

Watching highlights of South American games at a Mexican restaurant while eating chips and salsa is legit though.

Yeah I'm sure the continent where they regularly murder referees is "legit".

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Rugby players get facial cuts all the time but the rate of chronic traumatic encephalopathy is FAR lower than in American football.

Also it makes for much better photography

the one time i played rugby we disturbed a wasp and all got hosed up.

well that’s my rugby story.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

sassassin posted:

Yeah I'm sure the continent where they regularly murder referees is "legit".

The Aztecs regularly beheaded members of the royal family during times of famine or drought and the people would play games kicking the heads at leopards in large cages. The cages were called "leo"s and heads as everyone knows created a big mess which they called "messi". Thus the Aztecs gave the world Leos Messi.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I've seen a lot of hockey players from different eras say the same thing in interviews about the increasing amount of padding over the years. Apparently back when there wasn't as much padding just steamrolling a guy tended to hurt like hell even for the dude making the hit. Now it's not as painful for that guy so he's more than willing to drill somebody that hard more often.

E: I've seen a lot lament the gradual death of the enforcer for similar reasons too. Guys are less likely to just loving ruin somebody if they know some raging juggernaut with no teeth to worry about will be more than happy to knock out any of yours you've got left.

I played both Rugby and American Football in HS and can confirm this. It's not just about the feeling of safety that padding offers either, usually I found the shoulder pads so restricting that when trying to tackle and wrap(as they teach you to do in Rugby) that it was easier to just try to knock them off balance rather than trying to wrap my arms around them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

God drat it I wish I grew up in a state where hockey was a thing in public schools. :(

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Oscar Wild posted:

The Aztecs regularly beheaded members of the royal family during times of famine or drought and the people would play games kicking the heads at leopards in large cages. The cages were called "leo"s and heads as everyone knows created a big mess which they called "messi". Thus the Aztecs gave the world Leos Messi.

These are the only interesting words about soccer, ever.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WatermelonGun posted:

thanks for bumping this dead thread to give us this gem

The glory is in the service. Your welcome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

God drat it I wish I grew up in a state where hockey was a thing in public schools. :(

I don't know if it's common in public schools in the US. Never had it around me and I'm in the midwest. Private Schools had them and there were always teams/leagues you could join outside of school.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Soccer would be better if they played in straight jackets

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Soccer needs to add a second ball to the game so there's more scoring. It's time to modernize the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Schweinhund posted:

Soccer needs to add a second ball to the game so there's more scoring. It's time to modernize the game.

How about one ball, but more teams. Actually make each player a team, and have 40 of them fighting over a single ball.

Soccer Royale

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Chomp8645 posted:

How about one ball, but more teams. Actually make each player a team, and have 40 of them fighting over a single ball.

Soccer Royale

Google "Calcio fiorentino" friend and wonder no more.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Tongues posted:

Google "Calcio fiorentino" friend and wonder no more.

I mean sorta, but they seem to get tired after the first 2 minutes and then its just a bunch of out of shape guys trotting around a field.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

ChesterJT posted:

I mean sorta, but they seem to get tired after the first 2 minutes and then its just a bunch of out of shape guys trotting around a field.

Watch it at x2 speed then. Problem solve

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

quote:

English soccer players and fans are the worst people on the planet.

Can't argue with that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Can't argue with that though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4SpjMinlQ