Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

-Inu- posted:

Also of note is 20% off A*, 30% off Dainese, and 20% off Gopro's (Gopro HD for $240).

Gotta be in-store only, Gopro HD is listed as $300 online, looking to pick one up and got a little too excited when I saw this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you have a really small noggin, motorcycle-superstore has some cheap KBC helmets:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...361116-FW8jfqw3

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Wow, they dropped the Tarmac from $50 to $30. Ridiculous price for what seems to be a pretty well made helmet http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/kbc/tarmac/

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

AF posted:

Wow, they dropped the Tarmac from $50 to $30. Ridiculous price for what seems to be a pretty well made helmet http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/kbc/tarmac/
My old HJC touched the ground when I had my hydroplaning off in October (less hard than when I bumped my head against the frame when I was checking the airpressure earlier that afternoon, and there wasn't even the smallest mark on the paint, but still...an impact is an impact.), and Jendywo got her HJC used from the seller of her Yamaha, and neither one of us trusts it.

We bought two. "$29.99 each - You save $239.92"

Jendywo thinks it's hideous, but we can rattlecan over it or something. Her head is .25 cm smaller than the smallest measurement for a Medium.
I think the bright yellow is a nice high-vis touch, and will leave it as is. My head is .25 cm larger than the largest measurement for a Medium. My head is rather funny shaped, and I wind up with a (very tiny) hotspot at the top of my forehead, no matter what helmet I've tried on. I'll deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Try a long oval profile. Arai's pretty much the only people that make helmets like that.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

My head is rather funny shaped, and I wind up with a (very tiny) hotspot at the top of my forehead, no matter what helmet I've tried on. I'll deal.

There's a lot of debate weather this is a good or bad idea, but you can try taking out the comfort padding, and using a metal spoon to squish down the shock absorbing material a bit.

*cowers in fear of impending flames*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

There's a lot of debate weather this is a good or bad idea, but you can try taking out the comfort padding, and using a metal spoon to squish down the shock absorbing material a bit.

*cowers in fear of impending flames*

There's only debate because people don't understand helmet construction.

I cannot think of anything more moronic than crushing the EPS in your helmet's liner to make it fit better. Buy a helmet that fits properly. There are many helmet makers that make long oval shapes. Arai makes a helmet that fits long oval (The profile, I believe), Suomy's Vandal and Spec1R/Extreme also have a more long oval shape. If your helmet is hot spotting, it does not fit right. Do not crush the liner to make it fit right, make it fit right by buying the correct helmet.

Oh, and go look at a helmet that's taken a good impact and look at how little, overall, the EPS gets crushed. It's about the amount that you can compress it with a spoon. So to all of you who have compressed the EPS with a spoon to make it fit right, you have effectively pre-crashed the helmet. Well done.

On the bright side, if you think crushing the liner is a good idea, then it's probably not really that important for you. :downs:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 1, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Scrapez posted:

If you have a really small noggin, motorcycle-superstore has some cheap KBC helmets:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...361116-FW8jfqw3

Son of a bitch. I could've saved like 140 dollars had I waited 3 days to buy a new helmet. :smith:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 2, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

AncientTV posted:

Son of a bitch. I could've saved like 140 dollars had I waited 3 days to buy a new helmet. :smith:

If anyone gets in on that though, I'm selling a KBC blue mirrored shield in the CA Mart thread. Hasn't been on the road a single time.
At that price, buy one anyway. Can't hurt to have a helmet laying around for an impromptu passenger, or a spare.

Z3n posted:

Try a long oval profile. Arai's pretty much the only people that make helmets like that.
This is what sold me on taking a chance sight un..er...felt.

WebBikeWorld posted:

This Tarmac is a size XL and it fits very close to actual expected size. It has a neutral to long oval internal shape, and the XL will probably fit a size 60-61 cm head circumference.

KBC lists their size XL as a 61-62, and while it's possible that a 62 cm head that tends towards a long oval shape may fit, I'm pretty certain that a 62 cm round head will find the XL a tight fit.
So, being a a 58.5 long oval, I figure it might be slightly tight, but for the price I can live with it. The most upsetting thing for me is that it's Snell rated. I'd prefer a DOT/ECE rated helmet.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Jabs posted:

The most upsetting thing for me is that it's Snell rated. I'd prefer a DOT/ECE rated helmet.

Debate on the effectiveness of US helmet testing aside, every KBC helmet is DOT and Snell rated.

edit: apparently they've also recently tacked on ECE 22.05

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2010

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

AncientTV posted:

Debate on the effectiveness of US helmet testing aside, every KBC helmet is DOT and Snell rated.

edit: apparently they've also recently tacked on ECE 22.05

I don't know of any helmets that are both SNELL and ECE 22.05. The WebBikeWorld article said there is a ECE/some other safety spec version available.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I don't know of any helmets that are both SNELL and ECE 22.05. The WebBikeWorld article said there is a ECE/some other safety spec version available.

Ah, I misunderstood the review I read.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
And I should clarify...I want DOT and ECE and *NOT* Snell, based on a (very long and informative) article that I read, and promptly forgot to bookmark, then re-googled just now that demonstrated that SNELL uses a G rating that they consider acceptable, while it's still likely to leave you a shell of your former self.

What I really would like is a helmet that works flawlessly right up to around 275gs of deceleration, then folds up like an origami crane stomped under a pair of Doc Martens. I have no desire to spend the twilight of my life drooling in a hospital bed. Given that such a thing doesn't exist, I'll take DOT/ECE over DOT/Snell.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
How does everyone feel about used helmets? Obviously I am not looking to buy someone's knocked around POS. However, I have tried on a bunch of helmets and the arai profile fits awesomely. I have seen some barely-used ones go on craigslist/ebay for 200 under retail. Is this something others would consider? If the thing is cosmetically flawless, it probably has to be structurally intact?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
If it's a high-end helmet such as Shoei or Arai (not sure if Shark/Suomy/agv do this), you can send the helmet to them for no cost and they'll test the structural integrity of the helmet. Other than that, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the risk of losing your brain functionality to save a couple hundred bucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

How does everyone feel about used helmets? Obviously I am not looking to buy someone's knocked around POS. However, I have tried on a bunch of helmets and the arai profile fits awesomely. I have seen some barely-used ones go on craigslist/ebay for 200 under retail. Is this something others would consider? If the thing is cosmetically flawless, it probably has to be structurally intact?

If they've still got the tags on them, chances are they're fine. However, it's a risk that you take. I've bought the occasional NIB "used" helmet, no problems thus far. If it's still got the plastic screen on the visor, still has the tags on the strap, then it's probably never been used. But as always, that's a risk you take.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
More gear I'm going to have to wait months for (motherfucking -17* this morning!) will be on the way soon... Ordered a Suomy Spec1R from speedaddictcycles.com. Very knowledgeable and informative guy to work with!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

ohwandernearer posted:

Some people are very wary of used helmets. The thing is, even if it's been dropped (no head in it) it's probably fine. The EPS liner hasn't been compressed anywhere because no head was inside the helmet, and unless there's obvious signs of the shell being cracked then it will still do its job in preventing things from penetrating the helmet. That said, you can't always see this stuff in pictures that he seller has posted so you have to take their word for it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
used helmets are perfect for people who don't intend to crash.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I'm not a biker myself but I was recently given a brown leather Peter Werth bomber jacket, and I figured you guys would be the best people to ask about taking care of it. Basically I know I'm supposed to use a protective spray on it, especially as I'm in the UK and I have no idea when it'll rain or not, and when the leather comes into contact with any liquid it tends to stain black (although the black soon fades almost completely back to the usual brown colour for some reason).
Anyway can anyone recommend a brand of protective spray, or where I can ask for more advise? Cheers.

e: actually to be honest I don't know if I even need to use a spray on it at all, I just assumed because of the staining.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 3, 2010

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've had good luck with Pecard's leather dressing.

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Pecards_Leather_Dressing_Conditioner_p/pecpld6.htm

Good stuff, but it will leave your jacket looking a bit darker than it started.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

I've had good luck with Pecard's leather dressing.

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Pecards_Leather_Dressing_Conditioner_p/pecpld6.htm

Good stuff, but it will leave your jacket looking a bit darker than it started.

Looks about right... anyone know of anything similar sold in the UK? Or any other products in the UK.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Here are the resources I used when I got a leather jacket for a song at a thrift store last summer...

http://vintageclothing.about.com/od/alterationcare/a/leather_care.htm

http://www.davidmorgan.com/leathercare.html

and here's a shop that carries Pecard in the UK.
http://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.uk/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

Here are the resources I used when I got a leather jacket for a song at a thrift store last summer...

http://vintageclothing.about.com/od/alterationcare/a/leather_care.htm

http://www.davidmorgan.com/leathercare.html

and here's a shop that carries Pecard in the UK.
http://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.uk/

Having done a bit more reading around what I really need is simply a product to protect the jacket from water marks when it rains and so on. Pecard seems great, but I'm not entirely certain it's what I need? I'm not looking to waterproof the thing, just to prevent damage from rain and spills.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with speed humps on jackets? I have a nice gift card and was thinking of spoiling myself with a Dainese Santa Monica jacket. All the reviews say the Santa Monica is incredibly comfortable but I wonder if something like that would look ridiculous on a standard and interfere with my backpack.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Oh god.... My local gear store decided to order in a Cortech HRX-2 just so I could try it on and see if I like it.

I might be spending money on a new jacket tonight :negative:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kylej posted:

Anyone have experience with speed humps on jackets? I have a nice gift card and was thinking of spoiling myself with a Dainese Santa Monica jacket. All the reviews say the Santa Monica is incredibly comfortable but I wonder if something like that would look ridiculous on a standard and interfere with my backpack.

If you are going to be wearing a pack that would get uncomfortable QUICK. Speed humps look cool but they're not going to accomplish anything unless you're hauling rear end in a full tuck... without a backpack ;)

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

NipplesTheCat posted:

Oh god.... My local gear store decided to order in a Cortech HRX-2 just so I could try it on and see if I like it.

I might be spending money on a new jacket tonight :negative:

I have had the GX-AIR, which is an earlier version of that same jacket, for years now and it is amazing. You can wear it in 90s+ weather with all the liners out, and it works below freezing with both liners in.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

needknees posted:

If you are going to be wearing a pack that would get uncomfortable QUICK. Speed humps look cool but they're not going to accomplish anything unless you're hauling rear end in a full tuck... without a backpack ;)

I specifically avoided anything with a hump as I was advised by a fellow rider whose suit has a hump that yes, the hump is a PITA if you intend to ride with a backpack.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Oh god dammit. I was going to buy a new jacket when spring rolls around and the one I really want has a hump in it. I never even considered the fact that it would mess with backpacks. argh.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

I have had the GX-AIR, which is an earlier version of that same jacket, for years now and it is amazing. You can wear it in 90s+ weather with all the liners out, and it works below freezing with both liners in.

I've actually got a GX-Air Series 2 that I've been wearing for the past year and a half. The jacket is absolutely amazing. My only complaint is that the white on the front is now grey, and the jacket's actually a little bit large now. I dropped about 30lbs since I bought it, so I needed something new.

I bought this....

I can now be :rice:

Got it for $150 from a local shop that I go to all the time. The price was definitely right.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

needknees posted:

Yeah I ordered a Newsan Pelle instead.

Same color as the one that model's wearing. That is the most money I have ever spent on an article of clothing :gay:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You're going to have a hell of a time scrubbing the surprised douche out of the liner.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
MX gear (with all that killer armor) on the street. Why or why not?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

My understanding is that off-road helmets catch the wind a lot and will buffet your head around at highway speeds.

I've never ridden with them though, so I have no personal experience on the matter

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Jabs posted:

Little abrasion resistance.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
How good are those squid armor vests at their intended purpose? I'm thinking of getting one to wear under my jacket

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

redscare posted:

How good are those squid armor vests at their intended purpose? I'm thinking of getting one to wear under my jacket

Not a vest, but one of my buddies on the ex500 board wears this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkkHtvTv58
under his leather jacket, and just removed the armor that came with the jacket.

He lowsided at 45mph with that set up, and he said short of his dainese one piece suit, the armor took the impact better than any other jacket he's had, without shifting an inch.

edit: all that kind of stuff depends on how well it fits you though
edit2: here's their vest, basically the same armor with the arms removed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0NftXtxa5k

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

My understanding is that off-road helmets catch the wind a lot and will buffet your head around at highway speeds.

I've never ridden with them though, so I have no personal experience on the matter

Yes they certainly do.

Though the big visor is great for keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

They're actually pretty good. Hard armor that's not going to move around because it's attached to you is pretty much the best thing around. That's why proper fitting leathers are tight. I've been tempted to pick up some armor to wear under my leather jacket just because it'd probably protect better because it won't move around.