Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've refreshed dozens of times, restarted, updated opera, turned adblock on and off. Same poo poo. It only seems to happen on this install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

eXXon posted:

This is facebook for the last week, both on 12.11 and 12.15 with or without adblock. :downsbravo:

I don't know if it's what you're already talking about with adblock or if that's a different thing, but if you right-click and go "block content..." then click details, if there's anything in there that isn't a specific image then that could be it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The only time similar things have happened to me is if a broken, unusuable css file was saved to the cache. You said you already used f5 (and presumably ctrl-f5 to force a cache refresh), and i don't know if the cache persists through restarts or updates (it might?) so unless manually emptying the cache doesn't fix it you either content-blocked the file somehow or your install is just really broken.

I assume it's one of the former, but i've had weirder poo poo happen to me on some installs so it might very well be the latter. :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's nothing blocked in the block content view. I turned off adblock, hit F5, ctrl-F5, went to delete private data and deleted the entire cache, restarted opera, tried it in a new private window and the same poo poo happens. This is kind of ridiculous.

I can't imagine the install is fundamentally broken because everything else is working fine, it's just facebook that's completely nonfunctional like that.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The fast way to find out is to close Opera, temporarily rename the user folder in appdata, and open it again. If it doesn't work, rename the folder back and there you go. It's worth a shot for the time spent. My experience with random bizarre page display breakages is that will do it when nothing else will.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Lakitu7 posted:

The fast way to find out is to close Opera, temporarily rename the user folder in appdata, and open it again. If it doesn't work, rename the folder back and there you go. It's worth a shot for the time spent. My experience with random bizarre page display breakages is that will do it when nothing else will.

Alternatively, download the installer again and make a portable install on your desktop for testing purposes. It will ignore your existing user folder and you don't have to go dicking about in the user directories.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

eXXon posted:

I've refreshed dozens of times, restarted, updated opera, turned adblock on and off. Same poo poo. It only seems to happen on this install.

Have you the browser set to identify as Opera? If not you could be getting a stylesheet for another browser that is incompatible.

Also make sure the following option is ticked opera > page > Style > Author mode.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I've had to switch over to Firefox for a bit. The latest version of Opera on my machine is crashing constantly. Naturally, Flash appears to be the issue...

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Startacus posted:

I've had to switch over to Firefox for a bit. The latest version of Opera on my machine is crashing constantly. Naturally, Flash appears to be the issue...

It's not. I've had eBay, Facebook and Imgur crash by browser and I didn't even install flash for that to happen. I've given up on Opera and swapped over to Chrome. I finally installed flash and had it only run on demand but it crashes just as much.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

ToG posted:

It's not. I've had eBay, Facebook and Imgur crash by browser and I didn't even install flash for that to happen. I've given up on Opera and swapped over to Chrome. I finally installed flash and had it only run on demand but it crashes just as much.

I'd like to explore this. Any tips on Chrome stuff that can give you solid mouse gestures and perhaps useful stuff like Opera's panel stuff? I get a ridiculous amount of mileage from the Links panel to suss out and batch open several links at once.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is there a way to turn off the automatic text box focus in google search? That thing really fucks with me when I want to switch tabs with the 1 and 2 keys.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is there a way to turn off the automatic text box focus in google search? That thing really fucks with me when I want to switch tabs with the 1 and 2 keys.

Right click > Edit site preferences > Scripting > [ ] Enable JavaScript.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kevin Bacon posted:

Disable Google instant. You'll have to have a Google account and you have to be signed in.

e: This is one of the shittier features in Google in general. It also hijacks the backspace key, which every browser uses to go back in history. On Google instead it edits your search field and then "instants" you a completely new set of search results and oh god what is happening.

That's a pretty good tip to all you interface designers: If you want to know whether I want to type something, you can tell by from me focusing a text field.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 29, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I have nothing useful to say about this.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Ouch! They probably have every right to pursue this, and it seems that that person is in violation of his contract with Opera.

However a) Opera needs publicity from other kind of and way more positive news right now (webkit desktop builds, android final build) and b) considering that Opera hasn't exactly been (or seem) active for their desktop browser in the last few months (and in the 12.00 series they have left a good number of their "new features" half tested/unpolished/unstable), these kinds of news make it easier for people to hate on Opera...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm slowly getting the depressing idea that Opera doesn't care about PR worries anymore, much as they've given up on keeping up development/support with their desktop competitors.

quote:

Hansen said in the video, "I spent almost seven years trying to simplify Opera and didn't really succeed. Simplification of something that already exists is really hard. That's way beyond product design issues—it's company issues. I feel like we failed in making something really easy."
Hm. That's an interesting take on it.

Although i guess he wasn't there anymore when things started going sour (past 12.00 as mentioned above).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

quote:

Opera claims that some of the bits of interface magic that Hansen contributed to Mozilla were things Opera paid him to develop—features that had not yet been implemented in Opera.

quote:

Hansen also worked for Opera as an outside consultant from 2009 to 2010.
Yeah, it's just another circle around the drain.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else been getting text appearing to the top right of an image instead of the bottom right in Opera? It's been like that for me for a while now, and I was wondering why and how I can change it back?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Has anyone else been getting text appearing to the top right of an image instead of the bottom right in Opera? It's been like that for me for a while now, and I was wondering why and how I can change it back?

What text? What images?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What text? What images?

This text next to this image.

To me it looks like this:

I have no idea why and I was wondering how to change it, it only appears like this in Opera.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 7, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This text next to this image.

To me it looks like this:

I have no idea why and I was wondering how to change it, it only appears like this in Opera.

It is caused by
CSS code:
#thread td.postbody img { 
	vertical-align: bottom;
}
in http://www.somethingawful.com/css/forums.css, line 93

When I disable that rule using Dragonfly, the text aligns with the bottom of the image.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wheany posted:

When I disable that rule using Dragonfly, the text aligns with the bottom of the image.

Excellent! So how do I do that, cause I've basically never used Dragonfly before.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Excellent! So how do I do that, cause I've basically never used Dragonfly before.

Well, It's not really a permanent solution, since it requires you to open the development tools every time you load a page. But if you want to test it, right-click on that image, select "inspect element" and then in the inspector, on the right, scroll down until you find the header "Styles". It has one entry "#thread td.postbody img". Uncheck the checkmark (that appears when mousing over) in front of "vertical-align: bottom;"

It could be disabled permanently with a user stylesheet or a user javascript file, which I guess I could make some time later.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wheany posted:

Well, It's not really a permanent solution, since it requires you to open the development tools every time you load a page. But if you want to test it, right-click on that image, select "inspect element" and then in the inspector, on the right, scroll down until you find the header "Styles". It has one entry "#thread td.postbody img". Uncheck the checkmark (that appears when mousing over) in front of "vertical-align: bottom;"

It could be disabled permanently with a user stylesheet or a user javascript file, which I guess I could make some time later.

Here's the script. Click on "Isntall" and save it in your browser's user scripts folder.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/166942

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wheany posted:

Here's the script.

Thanks, you're a saint man!

Guess it's back to your regularly scheduled bitching about Opera.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Guess it's back to your regularly scheduled bitching about Opera.
Looks like the regular schedule is pretty slow as usual! :)

In the spirit of the thread title, i'm a big fan of "enable plugin on demand" to stop dozens of YT tabs pre-loading and taking up memory at the same time, but i noticed it also disabled other flash plugins like the twitch.tv chat which didn't display a "click to activate" placeholder.

Turns out it's actually a setting you can set per site! :toot:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Just in case anyone is wondering, the hardware acceleration is still more trouble than it is worth.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I assume it's probably over a year before there's progress on the conversion to the new engine?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I assume it's probably over a year before there's progress on the conversion to the new engine?
I'll try to find the link, if it's in my bookmarks, but they made it sound like the switch is well into the future.

They recent firing and hiring round probably means that they were only really starting their work at that point.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I can't wait for the move to Blink, just because it's going to be so nice to get some of the stability from Chrome, lose some of the baggage, and keep Opera's featureset(I presume). However, given the rate of change, I suspect that Opera may well just enter a complete version-freeze during the migration and end up dying a slow death on the PC before it actually gets anything out the door. Time will tell, I suppose.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ufarn posted:

I'll try to find the link, if it's in my bookmarks, but they made it sound like the switch is well into the future.

They recent firing and hiring round probably means that they were only really starting their work at that point.

The most concrete thing I've read about it was "not before summer", and that seems to be referring to Opera Desktop snapshots (so I'm assuming early builds).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Looks like the regular schedule is pretty slow as usual! :)

In the spirit of the thread title, i'm a big fan of "enable plugin on demand" to stop dozens of YT tabs pre-loading and taking up memory at the same time, but i noticed it also disabled other flash plugins like the twitch.tv chat which didn't display a "click to activate" placeholder.

Turns out it's actually a setting you can set per site! :toot:

Yeah, super slow lately. I've been meaning to ask here how the newish Opera mobile beta is. They recently allowed Google Play on the Nook HD so I got to try out an older version of the regular edition, and although I use it I'm a tiny bit unimpressed with it (just so used to being able to customize everything to a tee I guess).

Oh, for "Enable On Demand Plugin Placeholder" thing, you can also click on the plugin icon in the Address Bar to load all the plugins on a page with a single click (including ones that are basically hidden). Doesn't work correctly 100% of the time, but good enough I don't usually bother with custom rules.

Riso posted:

Just in case anyone is wondering, the hardware acceleration is still more trouble than it is worth.
I'm not surprised. I got tired of bitching about it in comment sections and turned it off awhile ago. Whenever I'd minimize Opera and tried to bring it up it would just be a black/blank screen until it crashed shortly thereafter. Speaking of tired of bitching, I still get Webfont problems.

Good to see some activity in this thread, though. It will probably need a new OP whenever they start migration over to the new thing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, for "Enable On Demand Plugin Placeholder" thing, you can also click on the plugin icon in the Address Bar to load all the plugins on a page with a single click (including ones that are basically hidden). Doesn't work correctly 100% of the time, but good enough I don't usually bother with custom rules.
What butto... :doh: Oh.

It actually only shows up when there's unloaded plugins, pretty neat!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Doom Goon posted:

Learn something new every day and I'm also one who has plugin on demand for anything but youtube. Thanks for this! I sincerely like Opera and I would miss so many things it does so right if I migrated. But it's got so many performance issues and half baked new features that I'm worried will translate over. And the wait is interminable because I either deal with "Opera (Not responding)" as my default browser or try to get over the other browsers being not so nifty in doing things I do commonly. It just sucks all around.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

For reference, Chrome has the icon-in-the-address-bar thing for blocked plugins too. It's actually a bit better because you can also do things like add a site to the plugin whitelist from there.

I miss Opera but right now I just can't bring myself to use it on the desktop anymore. Still my primary mobile browser, though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ape Agitator posted:

Learn something new every day and I'm also one who has plugin on demand for anything but youtube. Thanks for this! I sincerely like Opera and I would miss so many things it does so right if I migrated. But it's got so many performance issues and half baked new features that I'm worried will translate over. And the wait is interminable because I either deal with "Opera (Not responding)" as my default browser or try to get over the other browsers being not so nifty in doing things I do commonly. It just sucks all around.

My favorite "Opera (Not responding)" is when you first get "Crash log writing failed", then Opera will be nonresponsive for about a minute before showing the plugin crashed icon. You can make it faster by manually killing opera plugin wrapper after getting that crash log message.

I've also already been using Firefox as my Twitter browser for some months now and after it got simultaneous private/non-private windows, also as my Facebook browser. Still using Opera for everything else, though.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Wheany posted:

My favorite "Opera (Not responding)" is when you first get "Crash log writing failed", then Opera will be nonresponsive for about a minute before showing the plugin crashed icon. You can make it faster by manually killing opera plugin wrapper after getting that crash log message.

Alternatively, you can just disable out-of-process plugins altogether, which also makes those crashes less likely in the first place.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The browser's a lot more stable with plugins when you turn the hardware acceleration off.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Heresiarch posted:

Alternatively, you can just disable out-of-process plugins altogether, which also makes those crashes less likely in the first place.

I don't think I can do that, since I'm using the 64-bit version.

And I still prefer the plugin wrapper crashing to the whole browser crashing. Opera has been really stable for me after I stopped using Facebook with it. I run it 24/7 for weeks and usually I only restart it after it's using over 3 gigs of ram.

Riso posted:

The browser's a lot more stable with plugins when you turn the hardware acceleration off.

I have never used hw acceleration in Opera for longer than a couple of hours. It's always been garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Weird that I just mentioned it, but Opera Mobile (now just called Opera) for Android is out of beta and released.