Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Marchegiana posted:

After the last frost date is too late for peas, they'll start to die back as soon as the weather gets hot. Peas are pretty cold-hardy, and they'll stand up to a frost (just not a hard freeze). Generally they only need soil temps of about 50-60 degrees to germinate too, so they're usually direct sown about 4-6 weeks before last frost.

I've got some already growing crazy. What's the lowest temps they'll survive in? It's starting to get around 50-60 during the day here and sometimes hit below freezing at night, but it usually stays around 40-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

Fra-gi-lay...It's Italian!

cowofwar posted:

No, that's way too late as you'll butt up against the dry heat of the summer. Peas wont germinate below 4C and don't like frozen ground but will take -5C temperature swings and frosts without problem as long as they aren't flowering. By germinating them inside I can get them in the ground the moment it defrosts and then have a couple successive crops before summer.

The general strategy is to grow successive crops of things like peas, lettuce and other cold hardy plants indoors 1.5-2 months before the last frost. The first wave can go in to the ground around 2 weeks after that when the ground is no longer frozen and then successive waves can be started indoors until the ground warms up enough for direct sowing outside.

The strategy can be repeated once you hit maximum summer, as you'll start indoors again when it's too hot outside and get the plants in to the ground once it's no longer brutally hot. Then eventually you can direct sow a couple more waves and have harvests up until early winter.

That's interesting. I've never heard of starting peas inside and I didn't think you could do it. We've always just done direct sow and we've never had an issue with peas. Same with lettuce. If you're starting peas inside, 1.5-2 months before you move them outside, how do you deal with trellising and transplanting? In that time we would have peas at least waist-high outside. I'm in 5b for reference. I have no idea where you're at.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

That's interesting. I've never heard of starting peas inside and I didn't think you could do it. We've always just done direct sow and we've never had an issue with peas. Same with lettuce. If you're starting peas inside, 1.5-2 months before you move them outside, how do you deal with trellising and transplanting? In that time we would have peas at least waist-high outside. I'm in 5b for reference. I have no idea where you're at.
Actually if you pull up the almanac's planting dates for peas you'll see that they go in the ground way before last frost. My last frost prediction is April 29 but the peas, spinach and carrots can go in starting March 12.

Because peas are cold hardy but require a certain temperature to germinate, many people will sprout their peas indoors and then put them in the ground. They don't let them grow any more than a few inches if at all. Many people just sprout them in wet paper towel until germination has occurred and then sow directly.

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Actually if you pull up the almanac's planting dates for peas you'll see that they go in the ground way before last frost. My last frost prediction is April 29 but the peas, spinach and carrots can go in starting March 12.

Because peas are cold hardy but require a certain temperature to germinate, many people will sprout their peas indoors and then put them in the ground. They don't let them grow any more than a few inches if at all. Many people just sprout them in wet paper towel until germination has occurred and then sow directly.

Our soil usually isn't workable until the first week of May. Do we just have crappy soil? Is there a way to make it more workable earlier in the season? I'm away at school during the year so I usually miss the planting aspect but that's what I've been told. Also I decided that I'm going to start a small biodiversity farm and apiary, ideally organic, in a few years. I've been doing a lot of reading since a farm =/= garden. Right now I'm reading into composting and soil amendments. Do you have any suggestions for sources on planting aside from individual plant books? Thank you very much for the information and help!

Does anyone have experience with growing mushrooms outside?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

Our soil usually isn't workable until the first week of May. Do we just have crappy soil? Is there a way to make it more workable earlier in the season?

Raised beds are one way. Covering with black plastic will help it warm up a little sooner, but not much.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
Man, gently caress paper egg cartons.

All winter when I was planning my garden I kept seeing articles about how great they were as seed trays. I'm really into reusing material and not buying new stuff, so it sounded perfect for me. At first they were great, they're a good size for starting seeds, they fit perfectly along a windowsill, they break down from the constant light and water and can be composted, etc.

Last night, however, I realized that all my tiny seedlings were growing their roots into the carton way faster than I was expecting, and I wasn't going to be able to fully remove them without tearing the poo poo out of the roots. I know from previous experience that those "just plant the whole thing and it will break down into the soil! :haw:" paper containers don't work nearly as well as they say, so I wanted to get them all safely removed rather than just leaving them in their compartments and trying to transplant the whole thing.

Tonight I carefully unwrapped the paper carton cell from 2.5 dozen seedlings. I have 3 dozen more to do tomorrow, and those ones all look much more ingrown/attached. It didn't turn out to be nearly as bad as I was expecting for this batch, however. For some reason they tended to grow through the bottom and not the sides of each egg compartment, so I peeled off the sides and left the tiny bit of bottom-- the roots should still have plenty of room to spread and grow. They're in plastic party cups now, enjoying my bathroom heater for the night. I think they're gonna be ok, but I won't be using egg cartons again which is a huge shame since we really do eat a ton of eggs.

I'm wondering if the lack of space is partially why my seeds are growing slower than I expected. I was waiting for them to get bigger before I transplanted; I didn't realize they were already maxxing out the space they had. Hopefully they all survive and it goes better here on out.

Damn Your Eyes! fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 11, 2012

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

drat Your Eyes! posted:

Man, gently caress paper egg cartons.

All winter when I was planning my garden I kept seeing articles about how great they were as seed trays. I'm really into reusing material and not buying new stuff, so it sounded perfect for me. At first they were great, they're a good size for starting seeds, they fit perfectly along a windowsill, they break down from the constant light and water and can be composted, etc.

Last night, however, I realized that all my tiny seedlings were growing their roots into the carton way faster than I was expecting, and I wasn't going to be able to fully remove them without tearing the poo poo out of the roots. I know from previous experience that those "just plant the whole thing and it will break down into the soil! :haw:" paper containers don't work nearly as well as they say, so I wanted to get them all safely removed rather than just leaving them in their compartments and trying to transplant the whole thing.

Tonight I carefully unwrapped the paper carton cell from 2.5 dozen seedlings. I have 3 dozen more to do tomorrow, and those ones all look much more ingrown/attached. It didn't turn out to be nearly as bad as I was expecting for this batch, however. For some reason they tended to grow through the bottom and not the sides of each egg compartment, so I peeled off the sides and left the tiny bit of bottom-- the roots should still have plenty of room to spread and grow. They're in plastic party cups now, enjoying my bathroom heater for the night. I think they're gonna be ok, but I won't be using egg cartons again which is a huge shame since we really do eat a ton of eggs.

I'm wondering if the lack of space is partially why my seeds are growing slower than I expected. I was waiting for them to get bigger before I transplanted; I didn't realize they were already maxxing out the space they had. Hopefully they all survive and it goes better here on out.
Unless you transplant them immediately after sprouting this always happens. You just remove what you can and drop the remainder in to a beer cup and the rest breaks down over time.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

cowofwar posted:

Unless you transplant them immediately after sprouting this always happens. You just remove what you can and drop the remainder in to a beer cup and the rest breaks down over time.

Yeah, I guess I just figured it wouldn't happen so fast, or that the little seedlings wouldn't be strong enough to push through the paper. Either way, lesson learned, and 5.5 dozen seedlings have been replanted in plastic cups and seem to be doing just fine.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

drat Your Eyes! posted:

Yeah, I guess I just figured it wouldn't happen so fast, or that the little seedlings wouldn't be strong enough to push through the paper. Either way, lesson learned, and 5.5 dozen seedlings have been replanted in plastic cups and seem to be doing just fine.
The first time I tried using egg cartons I got frustrated as well when encountering that problem. It's all wet and you try to get the roots off and then it all starts falling apart and you get pissed off and flustered thereby making things worse. Eventually I figured out how to separate the individual cells and then peel off the side of the paper carton to leave just the soil and the carton base, then used a spoon to drop that in to a divot in a beverage cup.

I ended up just buying a couple seed trays and seed cells to reduce the amount of fuss and work. I just carefully transplant out of the cells using a mini spatula, clean and reuse them. The seed cells are way deeper than egg cartons so it helps hold moisture better and promotes better root development.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 12, 2012

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
After a long weekend of on and off work, I got the garden all set up. Moved the soil, moved the cinder blocks, put the fence up and since it's going to be around 70 degrees for the next week and some stuff is meant to be planted mid-march (In Maryland), I put out some transplants and put some seeds down.

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*

A flying piece of posted:

After a long weekend of on and off work...
That looks great! Nice work :) How you saved one cinder block on each side by not having a full rectangle is interesting too. You don't feel like that'll cause any problems?

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

Socratic Moron posted:

That looks great! Nice work :) How you saved one cinder block on each side by not having a full rectangle is interesting too. You don't feel like that'll cause any problems?

I don't think it will. If dirt starts leaking out, I'll just mound some dirt into the corners outside the rectangle. I mainly did the corners like that so that the inside dimensions would be a full 8'x4' instead of 8'x4' minus the depth of a block.

Edit: And for anyone that's curious, Gorilla Tape sticks to cinder block really well... I was wondering how I was going to attach the strings for the grid.

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 12, 2012

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I don't think it will. If dirt starts leaking out, I'll just mound some dirt into the corners outside the rectangle. I mainly did the corners like that so that the inside dimensions would be a full 8'x4' instead of 8'x4' minus the depth of a block.

Edit: And for anyone that's curious, Gorilla Tape sticks to cinder block really well... I was wondering how I was going to attach the strings for the grid.
Are you going to plant small pollinator attractants/pest repellants within the cinderblock holes or leave them empty? I've always thought that they would make great spots for heathers or some other spreading, small plant.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Are you going to plant small pollinator attractants/pest repellants within the cinderblock holes or leave them empty? I've always thought that they would make great spots for heathers or some other spreading, small plant.

That's one of the main reasons I went for the cinder blocks over wood. They won't break down as quickly, they don't warp, they're about the same price, are easier to put together and I can plant stuff in the holes. I plan to put herbs and beneficial flowers (the pollinator/predator attractants and pest repellants) in the holes. The only non-herb plant I know off hand as beneficial is Marigold, though. What else should I plant?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

That's one of the main reasons I went for the cinder blocks over wood. They won't break down as quickly, they don't warp, they're about the same price, are easier to put together and I can plant stuff in the holes. I plan to put herbs and beneficial flowers (the pollinator/predator attractants and pest repellants) in the holes. The only non-herb plant I know off hand as beneficial is Marigold, though. What else should I plant?
I asked earlier and got a response:

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Jeavons recommends hyssop, thyme, catnip, lemon balm, pot marjoram, sweet basil, summer savory, borage, mint, and blue flowers. Bees last year definitely liked my catnip but they also like the purple cosmos I had planted around the edges of the garden. Sunflowers are another good one. I'm going to try borage this year along with more herbs.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I think there's a lot of folk wisdom/pseudoscience to the whole X loves Y companion planting stuff except in a few very specific cases. Your best bet is a large variety of flowers and herbs so there's something for every type of bug. For pollinators you want accessible and open flowers, and bees prefer blue, white and yellow.

I am jealous of you folks getting gardens in already. The soil temp here is mid 40s and ready for lettuce and peas but we're having an epic storm and the forecast is another week of rain.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I can't get any mints to grow except catnip. Help :saddowns: They just will not germinate. I've tried peppermint, spearmint, and now, lemon balm (which I desperately want to grow). I thought mint was supposed to be virile and invasive! Is there a trick to getting mint to germinate??

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

I can't get any mints to grow except catnip. Help :saddowns: They just will not germinate. I've tried peppermint, spearmint, and now, lemon balm (which I desperately want to grow). I thought mint was supposed to be virile and invasive! Is there a trick to getting mint to germinate??

Funny you should mention mint. I've been looking everywhere locally and the only place that has mint seed on the seed rack is Walmart.

We'll need more details about what you've been trying to help troubleshoot.

What soil medium did you use? Sterile seed starter, potting soil, other?
What temperature was the soil at? Mint seems to do best between 60 and 75 F.
How do deep did you sow the seeds? They're small and covering them almost at all could be too deep?
How did you water? Was the tray or pot kept covered to retain moisture?
Were the seeds expired, or did you try different brands, or from different stores?

Edit: One page I found recommends starting from a cutting of an existing plant. Put it in water until it sprouts roots and then plant it. I'll have to try that.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 12, 2012

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
I'm hoping one of you can help me identify a bug on many of my plants. It is mostly on tomatoes and vine plants and has what I would describe as a diamond shape back. They are either green or brown, about the size of a dime to nickel and look to be in the beetle family. They're slow enough that I can pick them off. I don't seem them doing any specific damage but hopefully this is enough for someone out there to go on and let me know if they are doing damage I'm not aware of like spreading disease.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Socratic Moron posted:

I'm hoping one of you can help me identify a bug on many of my plants. It is mostly on tomatoes and vine plants and has what I would describe as a diamond shape back. They are either green or brown, about the size of a dime to nickel and look to be in the beetle family. They're slow enough that I can pick them off. I don't seem them doing any specific damage but hopefully this is enough for someone out there to go on and let me know if they are doing damage I'm not aware of like spreading disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

?

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
That's him. Thanks.

gently caress.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I thought I remember reading that mints don't seed true so a mint seed could pretty much be any kind of mint flavor.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Looks like spearmint is a true seeding mint, and peppermint and some of the other flavored mints are hybrids. That would explain the lack of seeds except for spearmint. Time to read up on growing from cuttings.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Funny you should mention mint. I've been looking everywhere locally and the only place that has mint seed on the seed rack is Walmart.

We'll need more details about what you've been trying to help troubleshoot.

What soil medium did you use? Sterile seed starter, potting soil, other?
What temperature was the soil at? Mint seems to do best between 60 and 75 F.
How do deep did you sow the seeds? They're small and covering them almost at all could be too deep?
How did you water? Was the tray or pot kept covered to retain moisture?
Were the seeds expired, or did you try different brands, or from different stores?

Edit: One page I found recommends starting from a cutting of an existing plant. Put it in water until it sprouts roots and then plant it. I'll have to try that.

I sow most of my seeds in a light potting soil and barely cover the seeds. I live in Florida so temp is around there at this time of year, sometimes a bit warmer. No, the pots were not covered -- I never have trouble germinating anything else but perhaps mint is finicky because it's so small. And yes, the seeds were always from different retailers (most recently from an online Amazon seed dealer).

Your post gave me a lot to consider, I guess I should start by getting a very light seed starting mix and covering the pot/tray.

As for mint not growing true to seed, I just looked it up and apparently lemon balm does, which is what I care about right now. Hopefully I can get it to grow :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Looks like spearmint is a true seeding mint, and peppermint and some of the other flavored mints are hybrids. That would explain the lack of seeds except for spearmint. Time to read up on growing from cuttings.

If you live in the triangle area of NC, I have all the mint cuttings anyone could possibly want. I should really take a new picture of my mint patch. Its going to be crazy this year.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think global warming is going to make this year crazy. We're already seeing upper 70s and lower 80s in mid-March. My peas haven't even had time to grow!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Give peas a chance!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I planted 12 peas and 11 rotted.

Tried sowing eight more in soiless mix and this morning set up another 12 using the paper towel method after soaking them overnight. Hopefully I get something this time.

Looks like all my lettuce germinated though.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think global warming is going to make this year crazy. We're already seeing upper 70s and lower 80s in mid-March. My peas haven't even had time to grow!
It's a La Nina year, the jet stream is at a higher latitude over most of eastern North America and at a lower latitude over a bit of western North America. So you get higher temperatures in the former and lower temperatures in the latter.

Global warming is climate change which is a different thing.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 13, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cowofwar posted:

So I planted 12 peas and 11 rotted.

Tried sowing eight more in soiless mix and this morning set up another 12 using the paper towel method after soaking them overnight. Hopefully I get something this time.

Looks like all my lettuce germinated though.

It's a La Nina year, the jet stream is at a higher latitude over most of eastern North America and at a lower latitude over a bit of western North America. So you get higher temperatures in the former and lower temperatures in the latter.

Global warming is climate change which is a different thing.

Is it a La Nina year? I didn't know that.

I was sort of being facetious anyway.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Is hardening off necessary? Especially for early spring transplanting?

Seems kind of like oft repeated bullshit to me, will the seedlings just drop dead?

Also I decided to try growing something from the seeds that normally get discarded from store bought green bell peppers and the nice hot house tomatoes I like. Turns out they all grew very well, now I feel like an idiot buying seeds.

The overnight pea soak and moist paper towel in a ziplock method has worked well for my peas, looks like most are starting to sprout. Guess I'll prepare the garden for pea town tomorrow.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 14, 2012

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I asked earlier and got a response:

To add to that list, gayfeather, aka liatris. In my yard that was almost more popular than the borage and it attracted tons of different types of bees. It doesn't seed like crazy, but you will definitely have new plants in the area the following year.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Seems kind of like oft repeated bullshit to me, will the seedlings just drop dead?

From what I've seen, hardening just keeps the plants from wilting and looking crappy right after transplanting, especially in warmer weather. For it to actually make the difference between life and death for the plant, I would imagine you would have to be at the threshold of either almost too hot or almost too cold or way out of season.

One good thing is if you hear a weather report of an unusually hot or cold day, you at least have your seedlings in pots so you can pull them indoors temporarily.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
What is this little bugger? I dug up a collar green that was eaten down to the base and found this guy. He's was wiggling in defiance, so I squished him.

I put out some bowls of beer, as I was told that these would attract snails/slugs and then they'd drown in it. Muwhahaha. I hope they like Blue Moon.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dhrusis posted:

What is this little bugger? I dug up a collar green that was eaten down to the base and found this guy. He's was wiggling in defiance, so I squished him.

I put out some bowls of beer, as I was told that these would attract snails/slugs and then they'd drown in it. Muwhahaha. I hope they like Blue Moon.

Moth pupa.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ordered a couple yards of dirt to put into my garden beds, scheduled it for a day when it wouldn't be raining so I could get it all moved and stay dry. Instead, I came down with bronchitis, and it started raining, and raining, and raining..

Now I've got a three foot high pile of mud and I'm still loving sick, three days later.. I was hoping to have seeds in the ground by today :(

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
^^ Get someone to put a tarp over it.

cowofwar posted:

It is pretty important. Stuff grown indoors is very tender because we give it the ideal environment and putting it outside stresses it in several ways. Obviously the first is temperature, but also the light is much brighter, and there's likely to be stronger wind. In addition, the disturbance to the roots when transplanting will stress the plant. All these things combined can make it stop growing until it adapts to the new conditions, which could take a week. Repeated stresses like that can cause it to stop growing entirely.

Cold frames, row covers and cloches (bell jars, hot caps, milk jugs with the bottom cut off, whatever you want to call them) are all fairly easy to make and use and provide a good transition environment.

You could always do an experiment to see what happens with and without hardening off if you have extra starts.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've just been putting them outside during the day so they get some wind stress and get used to the heat. I started yesterday since I'm wanting to get them in the ground by next weekend. Seems to be going pretty good. The tomatoes love it.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 14, 2012

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It is pretty important. Stuff grown indoors is very tender because we give it the ideal environment and putting it outside stresses it in several ways. Obviously the first is temperature, but also the light is much brighter, and there's likely to be stronger wind. In addition, the disturbance to the roots when transplanting will stress the plant. All these things combined can make it stop growing until it adapts to the new conditions, which could take a week. Repeated stresses like that can cause it to stop growing entirely.

Cold frames, row covers and cloches (bell jars, hot caps, milk jugs with the bottom cut off, whatever you want to call them) are all fairly easy to make and use and provide a good transition environment.

You could always do an experiment to see what happens with and without hardening off if you have extra starts.
I understand the concept but I don't believe it is worth the effort aside from some specific situations. Like huge temperature and light intensity shifts.

Seems like if you're concerned better advice is to just plant out the seedlings and cover with that frost blanket material. That way you don't waste a week of carrying them in and out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yeah I know, it's been done, I'm just bitching because I'd been intending to get some seeds in the ground last weekend. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I built a trellis with three dollar store trellises that I used for the base. I ran six foot bamboo poles between them (two levels) and lashed them to the trellises. I then staked and lashed another 14 poles vertically on an angle. I then sowed my 16 sprouted peas along the base of one of the six foot spans. I'll be using the other span for pole beans.

Hopefully they end up growing, although sprouting peas isn't very difficult so whatever. We've got a stretch of up to 20C weather for the next week or so.