Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Note to self: pay attention to the background. Epic photo bomb...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
1. Model confirmed for tomorrow.
2. Themes nailed down with suggested wardrobe.
3. No makeup/hair - we'll deal with that.
4. Locations scouted, chosen, locked.
5. Weather good.

All is a go! Looking forward it. Plus she's really pretty, versatile, and has a lot of experience. I have faith this will work out well. And if for some reason it doesn't, I'll lean from that.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Some photos from today. It was my first photo shoot, kind of an impromptu thing with a friend. We were walking around campus so for lighting all I had was an off camera speedlite on a flash stand. I felt it definitely helped make the photos 'pop' vs. just using ambient lighting.

ML1 by The original David L, on Flickr

ML2 by The original David L, on Flickr

ML3 by The original David L, on Flickr

ML4 by The original David L, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Went into a pizza sub shop tonight because I had the munchies, came out with this and some cheese fries.

Untitled by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Was walking around with my camera when I saw this guy standing at his post so I decided to do an environmental portrait of him. Nice guy to chat with as well.

Valet by alkanphel, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Went into a pizza sub shop tonight because I had the munchies, came out with this and some cheese fries.

Untitled by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Is he allergic to the red ink or something? :barf:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Portrait of my father.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_3432 by avoyer, on Flickr

Practicing with male models lately.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Nice to see you're not sexist in your hair chopping.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
HC4L (Hair choppin' 4 lyfe)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Jiblet posted:

Nice to see you're not sexist in your hair chopping.

;-)

sw1gger posted:

HC4L (Hair choppin' 4 lyfe)

Clean! I like it :)

HC4L !

Edit: the 2 neck lines did you play with them? They look off (or too smoothed out?)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
AH. Relief. It's over. But it was great! I had so much fun this morning. My model was wonderful and we really connected. There was good chemistry between all of us, and I think she totally understood my concept. (Well, more or less.) We made it work, though. I'm just thrilled I got to take some good pictures in my favorite parts of Manhattan with a great model, and I really look forward to seeing the results. Now I just have to send off the film and wait for the lab to develop and scan. When I got home this afternoon she had already emailed and sent me a thank you message and really enjoyed the shoot.

The one scary thing, the one variable to this whole equation, is that I'm using a new Sekonic meter for my Hasselblad, and I haven't seen the results of my prior shots with it (a major no-no, I know), so I hope to hell the metering was a success. (Every light meter requires a bit of getting used to, to understand its kinks and how best to use it). And... with the other camera I brought (which is new to me), the Pentax 67II which has a built-in matrix meter, I haven't seen any of those photos yet either, (no-no number two). I assume all will generally be well but there's a slight slither of a percentage where I metered the Sekonic wrong and/or the meter in the Pentax is faulty, or who knows. So I'm a little nervous. Obviously I am taking some risk, but otherwise I am hopeful.

I think we veered a little off from my theme. I actually gave her three themes to choose from for which to base her wardrobe. She showed off in a great outfit but I don't think I asked her to change it up enough. Some of the time I resorted back to my standard street portraits where I just had her pose and look pretty. But we pushed through with the theme more or less, and we'll see how it goes. It was a good learning experience from me and, either way, I know she will be very happy with the pictures.

I wish we could have kept going, but she had an audition to go to and had to get ready for that. Nevertheless we spent about 3 hours shooting in 3 locations and we had a lot of fun. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we tried out many ideas, and at the end of the day I think we will have some good photos! She did her own hair and makeup. The makeup was natural looking, but the hair was great. I was really impressed, and she was very professional. I'd like to work with her again if possible.

So I'm hoping on the film end there are no serious issues, otherwise I think this will be pretty good!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 2, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Mannequin posted:

AH. Relief. It's over. But it was great! I had so much fun this morning. My model was wonderful and we really connected. There was good chemistry between all of us, and I think she totally understood my concept. (Well, more or less.) We made it work, though. I'm just thrilled I got to take some good pictures in my favorite parts of Manhattan with a great model, and I really look forward to seeing the results. Now I just have to send off the film and wait for the lab to develop and scan. When I got home this afternoon she had already emailed and sent me a thank you message for a great shoot.

The one scary thing, the one variable to this whole equation, is that I'm using a new Sekonic meter for my Hasselblad, and I haven't seen the results of my prior shots with it (a major no-no, I know), so I hope to hell I'm metering it correctly. (Every light meter requires a bit of getting used to, to understand its kinks and how best to use it). And... with my new camera, the Pentax 67II which has a built-in matrix meter, I haven't seen any of those photos yet either (No-no number two). I assume all will generally be well but there's a slight slither of a percentage where I metered the Sekonic wrong and/or the meter in the Pentax is faulty, or who knows. So I'm a little nervous. Obviously I am taking some risk, but otherwise I am very hopeful.

I think we veered a little off from my theme. I actually gave her three themes to choose from for which to base a wardrobe. Some of the time I resorted back to my standard street portraits where I just had her pose and look pretty. But we pushed through with the theme more or less, and we'll see how it goes. It was a good learning experience from me and, either way, I know she will be thrilled with the pictures.

I wish we could have kept going, but she had an audition to go to and had to get ready for that. Nevertheless we spent about 3 hours shooting in 3 locations and we all had a lot of fun. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we tried out many ideas, and at the end of the day I think we will have some good photos! She did her own hair and makeup. The makeup was natural looking, but the hair was great. I was really impressed, and she was very professional. I'd like to work with her again if it's possible.

So I'm hoping on the film end there are no serious issues, otherwise I think this will be pretty good!

Was it your first time guiding a model? That's pretty cool Mannequin! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

xenilk posted:

Was it your first time guiding a model? That's pretty cool Mannequin! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yes. First time working with a real model based on a theme, wardrobe and location. It was my own vision coming to life. I gave direction and basically ran the whole show. (Patting myself on the back here since I've never done this before). But she was very easy to work with and was quick to offer some posing ideas when I ran out of them, so it made it a little easier for me. My sister, who was my assistant, even had some great ideas also. We spent a little over an hour on Mercer Street and the surrounding streets a little bit, and then we took a cab up to Washington Square Park where we stayed for not too long, and then finished up in Union Square. We took a few shots along the way. University Place is one of my favorite places to shoot and I took a couple along there. I went through 5 rolls of film, 4 with the Pentax and 1 with the Hasselblad. (52 pictures). It was great. I think for my own critique I would say I should have a better, and more formulated plan for the next time. I should know pretty much exactly what I want and be specific about it and not try a dozen things to see if they will work, but do one thing very well, with hair, makeup and wardrobe people on set to really help dress it up. But when I asked her how I compared to other photographers she told me I was very organized and knew exactly what I wanted, so I think it was a success.

One other critique: film has its disadvantages. Sometimes I would forget to cock the film advance lever on the Pentax and miss a shot, and had to ask her to go back and do it again. With digital I could have just kept her in focus the whole time and held the shutter button down and gotten 10 pictures out of it, all in focus. There was a bit of tracking her while maintaining manual focus at the same time, which presents some challenges. But we will have to see how all of that turns out.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 2, 2012

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Trying a few different colour casts..

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mannequin posted:

One other critique: film has its disadvantages. Sometimes I would forget to cock the film advance lever on the Pentax and miss a shot, and had to ask her to go back and do it again. With digital I could have just kept her in focus the whole time and held the shutter button down and gotten 10 pictures out of it, all in focus. There was a bit of tracking her while maintaining manual focus at the same time, which presents some challenges. But we will have to see how all of that turns out.
I think it was probably your unfamiliarity with the Pentax because I'm sure you wouldn't forget it with the Hasselblad. I'm also looking forward to seeing your portraits!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Trying a few different colour casts..

Love the first two ones for the tone and expressions. Last one is pretty slick too for the posture. Third one is too candid, but that's just me :P

Here's what I've been up to...

IMG_1872 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1817 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1822 by avoyer, on Flickr

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Very nice, but in 1872 her eyelashes are trying to escape!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Mannequin posted:

The one scary thing, the one variable to this whole equation, is that I'm using a new Sekonic meter for my Hasselblad, and I haven't seen the results of my prior shots with it (a major no-no, I know), so I hope to hell the metering was a success. (Every light meter requires a bit of getting used to, to understand its kinks and how best to use it). And... with the other camera I brought (which is new to me), the Pentax 67II which has a built-in matrix meter, I haven't seen any of those photos yet either, (no-no number two). I assume all will generally be well but there's a slight slither of a percentage where I metered the Sekonic wrong and/or the meter in the Pentax is faulty, or who knows. So I'm a little nervous. Obviously I am taking some risk, but otherwise I am hopeful.

You really should invest in a polaroid back for at least one of your cameras. They don't cost that much and for the peace of mind you get they are more than worth it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Too late for any of that now. The film's gone and off to the lab. We'll see what happens. And if it's ruined, if something went terribly wrong and nothing came out right or it was all underexposed, it will be a wonderful learning lesson because I'll never forgive myself and will remember this mistake forever.

You have to look at the silver lining in these things.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

baccaruda posted:

Very nice, but in 1872 her eyelashes are trying to escape!

Thank you :D AND LOL! Didn't notice, oops

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

xenilk posted:

Love the first two ones for the tone and expressions. Last one is pretty slick too for the posture. Third one is too candid, but that's just me :P

Here's what I've been up to...

IMG_1872 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1817 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1822 by avoyer, on Flickr

I feel like you've really got a distinctive style now: I could pick out your shots from a selection without being told which ones they were. Nice images. Also, well done on coping being in the same room as this woman. She's so amazing looking, I would probably just sit on the floor and cry / blush, never mind direct her effectively.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Her dreadlocks had their 12th birthday recently. No extensions here, ladies.

Ayr Lox'ide #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Cyberbob posted:

Her dreadlocks had their 12th birthday recently. No extensions here, ladies.

Ayr Lox'ide #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Ew.

Cool photo though.

Cyberbob - very awesome stuff. My favorite is the first one and the last one. I wish you would fix the smoke in the last one (on the upper right side), it's pretty distracting. Is it safe to assume you shot with continuous lights or were you strobin' it up?

Fire and strobes - haven't tried it yet. I've heard it's a bit tricky, though.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Strobes all the way :) It's very tricky to do fire + strobe. It's essentially balancing ambient with strobe, kinda like an outdoor location shoot with a sunset, etc.
You need to relax your shutter speed slightly to get a good flame out of it, then blast the subject with strobes. I found somewhere between 1/50 and 1/160 was fine for the kind of flames I was working with.

I've shot flames at sunset before, which was next to impossible. Trying to balance two different sources of ambient? Ya right.
Shutter too quick - miss out on sunset. Shutter too slow - flames get too bright and white out the shot. Flames too bright - they put too much light on the body, which is a real pain if it's a moving body. You'll get all sorts of blurry limbs, etc, even with strobes capturing the rest of the shot in an instant.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Strobes all the way :) It's very tricky to do fire + strobe. It's essentially balancing ambient with strobe, kinda like an outdoor location shoot with a sunset, etc.
You need to relax your shutter speed slightly to get a good flame out of it, then blast the subject with strobes. I found somewhere between 1/50 and 1/160 was fine for the kind of flames I was working with.

I've shot flames at sunset before, which was next to impossible. Trying to balance two different sources of ambient? Ya right.
Shutter too quick - miss out on sunset. Shutter too slow - flames get too bright and white out the shot. Flames too bright - they put too much light on the body, which is a real pain if it's a moving body. You'll get all sorts of blurry limbs, etc, even with strobes capturing the rest of the shot in an instant.

Holy crap I didn't think about that. Forget that I'll never take flames + sunset + strobe LOL

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

I feel like you've really got a distinctive style now: I could pick out your shots from a selection without being told which ones they were. Nice images. Also, well done on coping being in the same room as this woman. She's so amazing looking, I would probably just sit on the floor and cry / blush, never mind direct her effectively.

She was awesome to work with, and yeah very pretty. I don't really think about it when I shoot because if I go with that mindset I'll just not thing about the pictures and I'll look dumb as hell. But yeah when I look at the pictures afterwards I appreciate her beauty :D

Thanks for the compliment :)

I tried something a little bit different today with a tattooed girl.

IMG_3758 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3777 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3836 by avoyer, on Flickr

You can't really see from those pictures but she had a weaker eye that was squinting a lot... I feel bad because I didn't manage a way it look less obvious on most of my shots :(

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I got to try out a new lens on a new model today. Here's Abbey and the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

bisticles posted:

I got to try out a new lens on a new model today. Here's Abbey and the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

Pretty neat lens! I would suggest not having the model always have her hand over her hear, it indicate closeness in non-verbal sheenagan :) I usually don't like shot angles like the second one but I think it works great on that one since there's definition of her jawline.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Here's a couple randoms, one old, one newer:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

bisticles posted:

In the first one, her face is a little overexposed. Those highlights on her cheek and forehead are really bright. Nice natural smile, and nice colours. How's the lens?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Mannequin posted:

You have to look at the silver lining in these things.

Very little silver is used for film these days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Photography_and_electronics

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

RangerScum posted:

Here's a couple randoms, one old, one newer:

The first shot is awesome except for the flash and boom that are in the frame
You should put a new sky in the second.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

xenilk posted:

Pretty neat lens! I would suggest not having the model always have her hand over her hear, it indicate closeness in non-verbal sheenagan :) I usually don't like shot angles like the second one but I think it works great on that one since there's definition of her jawline.

CarrotFlowers posted:

In the first one, her face is a little overexposed. Those highlights on her cheek and forehead are really bright. Nice natural smile, and nice colours. How's the lens?

Thank you both! I didn't think I'd really like an upside-down shot either, but it made me literally stop and saw "Wow" when flipping through my images from the shoot later in the day. I'm definitely going to grab her later on for a studio session. This was her first time in front of the lens, so I let a few modeling no-no's go in favor of having her look natural. It felt good to be shooting again, though.

The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is a loving fantastic lens. The AF is a bit wonky, and can go crazy trying to find a focus spot sometimes, but once it's in the general area, it's all good. Honestly, the AF not being USM is about all I have to complain about it, it's just a magic piece of gear. Too bad you have to be about 10 feet away to shoot a shoulder-up shot on a crop-body but oh well. I'm too busy enjoying the images I'm getting and the $800+ I saved on this thing to worry about how much better they could have looked with the Canon L equivalent.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheLastManStanding posted:

The first shot is awesome except for the flash and boom that are in the frame
You should put a new sky in the second.

Haha yeah, I laughed when I noticed I forgot to edit that out, at least people don't have to ask how it's lit. I'll reedit my computer file but I always hate reediting flickr shots since it breaks the link.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

A few favorites from a shoot I did over the weekend.

IMG_3697 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3577 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3483 by avoyer, on Flickr

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

xenilk posted:

A few favorites from a shoot I did over the weekend.

Just a few minor quick bits because I'm in a bind somewhere deep in Morocco.

#1 I like the pose a lot, but the left shoulder seems a bit crumpled, and the cloth is distracting from the profile of the face. Background is good, there's enough breathing space around the model.

#3 I think the top of the head and the fingers being cut off in this case is distracting, could've used some more room. More annoying is the huge tree in the background. Because it flows so strongly through the frame, it is very distracting, especially since we see so little of the model.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Just a few minor quick bits because I'm in a bind somewhere deep in Morocco.

#1 I like the pose a lot, but the left shoulder seems a bit crumpled, and the cloth is distracting from the profile of the face. Background is good, there's enough breathing space around the model.

#3 I think the top of the head and the fingers being cut off in this case is distracting, could've used some more room. More annoying is the huge tree in the background. Because it flows so strongly through the frame, it is very distracting, especially since we see so little of the model.

I agree what you're saying, I've been tight cropping lately. Don't know why but I seem to fall into it. I'll take that in consideration :)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Any tips on getting focus right on potraits? I seem to be having trouble getting good focus with my MF Minolta 50mm f1.7. (On my Sony NEX-3). I'm a total newbie and am shooting at f1.7 so the DOF is very narrow, should I try going down a few stops to increase DOF? Or shoot multiple shots while slightly adjusting the focus?

I could use the MF assist's digital zoom to check my focus but that's slow and cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DoktorLoken posted:

Any tips on getting focus right on potraits? I seem to be having trouble getting good focus with my MF Minolta 50mm f1.7. (On my Sony NEX-3). I'm a total newbie and am shooting at f1.7 so the DOF is very narrow, should I try going down a few stops to increase DOF? Or shoot multiple shots while slightly adjusting the focus?

I could use the MF assist's digital zoom to check my focus but that's slow and cumbersome.

Are you focusing and then recomposing the shot? This could be causing the issue if you are close to your subject. If you can change the focus point, try composing the shot how you want, and then selecting the focus point nearest the eyes and see if that works better.