Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
The Paladin in the group is some sort of "Anti-Viking", and has dutifully put one of his very limited skill ranks in Profession (Sailor) every level. I'm pretty sure the player would cream his pants if a boat was given to him, and he got to captain it and fly the colors of his order on it (The Blue & Whites!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
This may have been one of the few things Stormwrack was actually useful for in 3.5e.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

LightWarden posted:

This may have been one of the few things Stormwrack was actually useful for in 3.5e.

Fantastic. These are neat maps.

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of this. I have a friend with a pile of books from 3.5, not sure if he was ever into oceans and stuff.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

LightWarden posted:

Wasn't that also the book with the flying monkeys?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Having the rule mean that you can actually switch out your entire spell selection at any time once per day as long as it had been memorized the day before seems broken even for a wizard. Not to mention having to keep track of what day a spell was memorized. It never even occurred to me to interpret it that way until you mentioned it and I can't imagine any DM who's going to think that wizards need to have the selection of spells they can have available to cast in a given day doubled.

Okay it's not like I'm advocating for the advancement of Wizards, here, but practically speaking this seriously doesn't add meaningfully to the capacities of a wizard who's already leaving a slot or two open at each level and then making scrolls of his stupid one-off spells besides. He's still gotta sit down for fifteen minutes to claim ad-hoc spells and his actual number of spells cast per day stays the same.

But if you try to do it, you're still a cock.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That rule about spells not going away only exists so DMs can't schedule a nighttime ambush and tell the wizard "too bad you don't have spells prepared, chump!"

considerably
May 24, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That rule about spells not going away only exists so DMs can't schedule a nighttime ambush and tell the wizard "too bad you don't have spells prepared, chump!"

I hate that there are DMs out there like this that necessitate rules of this nature. Our group rotates who DMs, and the guy DMing now is like this. He does every obnoxious, combative thing short of "rocks fall, everyone dies." Every NPC pickpockets us (or tries). Every single encounter ends with us either narrowly winning or defeated (he spares us the killing blows), then requiring us to spend 100g apiece to heal back up at the village hospital.

Worst of which was when we were fighting a relatively unavoidable encounter versus supposedly CR3 guards with +9 attack and 20 AC when level 1, and he gives levels at DM discretion (which is okay in an of itself, I do it too), so we didn't get XP worthy of the challenge. He doesn't like playing with a grid, so tactical positioning is pretty much impossible, and every encounter, without fail, the enemies attack the casters or other ranged characters first until KO'd. We, as the players, had to put our foot down when he tried to have a regular joe townsperson with a pitchfork (level 1 with +6 attack, 18 AC and 2d6+6 dmg, no less!) who randomly attacked us drink a potion, move, attack, then drink another potion all in the same turn.

Let's not forget his other sins like splitting the group up constantly, leaving players sitting around with nothing to do for an hour. Agh. Sorry for the rant. Hopefully rocks actually fall and we all die so we can move to the next DM. And yeah, we've tried talking to him, he's just that guy, I think. Or maybe I'm just a wimp, I don't know, but it's frustrating.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

considerably posted:

I hate that there are DMs out there like this that necessitate rules of this nature. Our group rotates who DMs, and the guy DMing now is like this. He does every obnoxious, combative thing short of "rocks fall, everyone dies." Every NPC pickpockets us (or tries). Every single encounter ends with us either narrowly winning or defeated (he spares us the killing blows), then requiring us to spend 100g apiece to heal back up at the village hospital.

Worst of which was when we were fighting a relatively unavoidable encounter versus supposedly CR3 guards with +9 attack and 20 AC when level 1, and he gives levels at DM discretion (which is okay in an of itself, I do it too), so we didn't get XP worthy of the challenge. He doesn't like playing with a grid, so tactical positioning is pretty much impossible, and every encounter, without fail, the enemies attack the casters or other ranged characters first until KO'd. We, as the players, had to put our foot down when he tried to have a regular joe townsperson with a pitchfork (level 1 with +6 attack, 18 AC and 2d6+6 dmg, no less!) who randomly attacked us drink a potion, move, attack, then drink another potion all in the same turn.

Let's not forget his other sins like splitting the group up constantly, leaving players sitting around with nothing to do for an hour. Agh. Sorry for the rant. Hopefully rocks actually fall and we all die so we can move to the next DM. And yeah, we've tried talking to him, he's just that guy, I think. Or maybe I'm just a wimp, I don't know, but it's frustrating.

Most issues like this are communication issues. I've seen it destroy games as both a game master (I and my co-GM didn't accurately convey that certain genre conventions were in play, so one of the players refused to get out of the time machine) and as a player (Had a GM who once while we were sailing away from an encounter had a frost giant swim underwater, holding its breath the whole time, for 20 hours just so it could grapple the party's mage to death when we stopped our 2-person riverboat.)
Sit down with him somewhere other than the game setting, bring up your grievances and ask him why he feels he needs to run the game the way he does and to tone it down. In the end he will either accept that he is destroying the fun of the rest of the group or you may all have to agree that he will need to be left out of the GM rotation in the future.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What kind of armor should I be looking for as a barbarian (level 8)? I took mistmail (which seemed cool but meh) at level 7 when we started (slumbering tsar), and so far basically I get hit with everything (with is ok I suppose, I took invulnerable rager to help with that, and I'll get the 'Come and Get Me' rage power at 12). I realize I should've tried to grab something like a +5 mithral shirt or something.

I also have a +1 cloak of res, +2 ring of prot, the general stuff. Any tips are appreciated.

EDIT: On the beast totem rage power, where you get the claw attacks...do you need to be empty handed to use those? I would assume so but it just says you get 2 claw attacks, and nothing about being unable to use them if you're swinging a weapon.

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 3, 2012

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Nigulus Rex posted:

What kind of armor should I be looking for as a barbarian (level 8)? I took mistmail (which seemed cool but meh) at level 7 when we started (slumbering tsar), and so far basically I get hit with everything (with is ok I suppose, I took invulnerable rager to help with that, and I'll get the 'Come and Get Me' rage power at 12). I realize I should've tried to grab something like a +5 mithral shirt or something.

I also have a +1 cloak of res, +2 ring of prot, the general stuff. Any tips are appreciated.

EDIT: On the beast totem rage power, where you get the claw attacks...do you need to be empty handed to use those? I would assume so but it just says you get 2 claw attacks, and nothing about being unable to use them if you're swinging a weapon.

There comes a time in every barbarian's life when he realizes that AC 17 is functionally equivalent to--but infinitely less badass than--AC 10.

Edit: You cannot make two attacks with the same 'limb' in a round, though Paizo has some monsters gore-bite as their routine which seems to contradict this, it is pretty clear cut for arms. If you use a sword in one hand, you can make one claw attack as a secondary attack. I'd recommend going the other totem and getting gore if you want to stack up natural and manufactured attacks.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
A +5 Mithral shirt is far, far out of your price range. Mistmail is pretty neat, and truthfully as a Barbarian you're relying on your DR, high HP and insane damage to keep you alive. You can probably get the resident crafter to make up a Chain Shirt that can cast Mirror Image 1/day (caster level 3, so 1d4+1 images) for about 2500gp. That should make more of a difference than the Mistmail.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

A +5 Mithral shirt is far, far out of your price range. Mistmail is pretty neat, and truthfully as a Barbarian you're relying on your DR, high HP and insane damage to keep you alive. You can probably get the resident crafter to make up a Chain Shirt that can cast Mirror Image 1/day (caster level 3, so 1d4+1 images) for about 2500gp. That should make more of a difference than the Mistmail.

That's what I assumed. And yeah I know how much the +5 mithral shirts costs. I was just using it as an example.

Thanks to the other replier too.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

Sailing stuff.

So I know next to nothing about Golarion and consequently appropriate tech levels (always play homebrew settings), but circa 1800, 200 miles noon-to-noon would be considered a good, pretty fast speed. I'm guessing you're looking for something more in the 16th-century range. Although hull forms improved marginally over that time period, the big differences are in scale and especially in rigging. As a rough estimate, I'd knock off 25-50% of that daily distance for your fast speed and set the slow speed to about 1/2 or 2/3 the fast one. Assuming you mean the island next to the Mordant Spire label, you're looking at about 400 miles which I'd conservatively estimate at 3-4 days for a fairly swift vessel and a favorable wind, 6 or so for the slower one.

As for type of ship, if you're looking for a Columbus-ish tech level, I'd go with a caravel for the fast one and a carrack for the slow one. As far as capabilities, good seamen can work wonders with a small boat. William Bligh navigated a 23-foot open launch about 4000 miles to Timor after the Bounty mutiny. Joshua Slocum made a solo circumnavigation in the 36-foot Spray. One thing of note is that most sailing vessels are differentiated more by the type of rig they carry than anything else (schooners, for example, a relatively modern rig probably post-dating Golarion, carry fore-and-aft gaff mainsails on two or more masts, often with gaff and sometimes square topsails).

Is that helpful? I can try to answer more specific questions if you want, but I suspect my knowledge is mostly on the wrong time period for you.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I want to roll my second character ever. Here's the concept I have:
A halfling brawler (or fighter, or whatever works) that uses nothing but stuff like unconventional/improvised weaponry, alcohol-based buffs, and whatever else would make for a fun bar-room, drunken brew-haha type guy.

Thing is, my current (and first) character was rolled with a LOT of assistance from others and I don't really know how to do this. (I tried using the instructions in the core rule book for an pfs character, silly me! :rolleyes: ) The official Paizo site didn't yield much info for me (though I'm having a little trouble navigating it anyways, most of the links I click seem to link to a list of books I can buy or something.)

I also want to roll a half-orc bard one of these days, but I should probably learn how to do all this crap first. Plus, I can't find a useable miniature for one. :(

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Use a monk Drunken Master or Open Palm(?). They are archetypes in the APG and do exactly that.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Use a monk Drunken Master or Open Palm(?). They are archetypes in the APG and do exactly that.

Sounds like a plan! I love that there's already a set archetype for this. Hooray for drunken table-top gaming. :woop:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Stool Sample posted:

I want to roll my second character ever. Here's the concept I have:
A halfling brawler (or fighter, or whatever works) that uses nothing but stuff like unconventional/improvised weaponry, alcohol-based buffs, and whatever else would make for a fun bar-room, drunken brew-haha type guy.

Thing is, my current (and first) character was rolled with a LOT of assistance from others and I don't really know how to do this. (I tried using the instructions in the core rule book for an pfs character, silly me! :rolleyes: ) The official Paizo site didn't yield much info for me (though I'm having a little trouble navigating it anyways, most of the links I click seem to link to a list of books I can buy or something.)

I also want to roll a half-orc bard one of these days, but I should probably learn how to do all this crap first. Plus, I can't find a useable miniature for one. :(

Alchemists also work fairly easily(probably more easily than making a halfling monk work), just make all the bombs, mutagen and extracts into alcohol.
Say...Empty Hand or Drunken Master Monk 3/Ragechemist Alchemist X should work nicely.

For references, use this. It contains basically all the PF material.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

veekie posted:

Alchemists also work fairly easily(probably more easily than making a halfling monk work), just make all the bombs, mutagen and extracts into alcohol.
Say...Empty Hand or Drunken Master Monk 3/Ragechemist Alchemist X should work nicely.

For references, use this. It contains basically all the PF material.

Vivisectionist works better, I think. Ragechemist is pretty neat, but Vivisectionist gets Sneak Attack Dice, which Catch Off-Guard allows you to take full advantage of (admittedly only against unarmed opponents, but still, that's plenty of creatures).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Point. Just thought Ragechemist fits the drunk dude better.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Barbarian archtype Drunken Brute, also from APG. Booze = more rage, perfect for a bar brawl. They can drink as a move action that doesn't provoke as well.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Nigulus Rex posted:

AC is a chump's game. poo poo's just going to hit you anyway, so I'd just go shirtless like a goddamn Conan or get some kind of armor +1 that has a good utility effect.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

AC is a chump's game. poo poo's just going to hit you anyway, so I'd just go shirtless like a goddamn Conan or get some kind of armor +1 that has a good utility effect.

That's why I grabbed mistmail, though it isn't that great.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Well, you should have SOME AC at least, but yeah, don't over-invest. With a barbarian 8, getting a decent AC would involve approximately +2 Breastplate, Ring of Protection +1 and Amulet of Natural Armor +3(it's cheaper) for 24 AC, and that'd only foil the lower accuracy attacks, which can't be sneezed at when you're taking full attacks.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

veekie posted:

Well, you should have SOME AC at least, but yeah, don't over-invest. With a barbarian 8, getting a decent AC would involve approximately +2 Breastplate, Ring of Protection +1 and Amulet of Natural Armor +3(it's cheaper) for 24 AC, and that'd only foil the lower accuracy attacks, which can't be sneezed at when you're taking full attacks.

Those items are like 14k altogether to get a slim chance to get missed. You could spend 4k more and get a +3 weapon to just deal more damage, which is all you're good for anyway.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Something like displacement is a better bet for a Barbarian as a way of reducing how much you get hit anyway!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Not so slim if you're facing full attacks or PC-classed opponents.
Take a quick pass over random CR 8 melee monsters:
Treant - +17, 2 attacks or +7 single ranged attack. Assuming Power Attack is involved thats a +14 attack that hits for 2d6+15 damage. AC 24 means it hits on a 10 or better, meaning half the attacks miss, saving you from 22 damage each full attack. AC 18 means it hits automatically, and that doubles the damage taken per round to 44. Thats before factoring possible crits, which'd probably kill you if they confirm.

Bone Golem - +14, 3 attacks at about 9-11 damage each. AC 24 means you get hit by about 1.5 attacks each salvo, saving 15 damage each round vs getting hit by all of them for about 30

9 headed Hydra - +12, 9 whopping hits. AC 24 means you get hit by about 4-5 of them in a salvo(and you will because it has pounce) for about 45 damage. AC 18 means you get hit by some 6-7 for 63. Thats the difference between mauled and dead.

Goliath Stag Beetle - +17...ok the AC isn't going to help you here.

AC is less effective. Not useless, especially for a full-attacking melee class who can generally expect to face at least one each encounter. Displacement and miss chances greatly amplify the effects of AC though.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

veekie posted:

Not so slim if you're facing full attacks or PC-classed opponents.
Take a quick pass over random CR 8 melee monsters:
Treant - +17, 2 attacks or +7 single ranged attack. Assuming Power Attack is involved thats a +14 attack that hits for 2d6+15 damage. AC 24 means it hits on a 10 or better, meaning half the attacks miss, saving you from 22 damage each full attack. AC 18 means it hits automatically, and that doubles the damage taken per round to 44. Thats before factoring possible crits, which'd probably kill you if they confirm.

Bone Golem - +14, 3 attacks at about 9-11 damage each. AC 24 means you get hit by about 1.5 attacks each salvo, saving 15 damage each round vs getting hit by all of them for about 30

9 headed Hydra - +12, 9 whopping hits. AC 24 means you get hit by about 4-5 of them in a salvo(and you will because it has pounce) for about 45 damage. AC 18 means you get hit by some 6-7 for 63. Thats the difference between mauled and dead.

Goliath Stag Beetle - +17...ok the AC isn't going to help you here.

AC is less effective. Not useless, especially for a full-attacking melee class who can generally expect to face at least one each encounter. Displacement and miss chances greatly amplify the effects of AC though.

Well, our adventure already started so I don't really have any way of getting a +2 breastplate now.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That does put a kink into it. Mainly, if you're in the front line you generally want the heaviest armor you can fit in, or melee monsters would be putting a lot of uncomfortable holes in you.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

veekie posted:

That does put a kink into it. Mainly, if you're in the front line you generally want the heaviest armor you can fit in, or melee monsters would be putting a lot of uncomfortable holes in you.

So far I've been ok because I do so much damage things don't live that long (and I have 107 hp while raging). There was some concern because the first encounter we had in the Slumbering Tsar campaign is a Hill Giant (CR 10, to our level 7 PCs), and he basically turned me into paste if not for our heal-botty cleric.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Slumbering Tsar starts that high? I was under the impression it was a full 1-20 adventure path.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A Hill Giant is the sort of thing you let come to you while your casters drop will save stuff. It may get the first attack on you, but then you can five foot step up and unleash your (hopefully hasted) owns set of full attacks.

edit: ugh I forgot about the rock throwing

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

When a Rogue takes the Major Magic Rogue Talent, does he have to pick the spell that he will be able to cast and stick to that spell every time he casts a spell gained by that talent, or can he use a different spell that applies to the "1st-level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list" set every time he casts using that talent?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

veekie posted:

I just honestly disagree if you're talking about buying/crafting items. I saw your math up above and I don't dispute it except for wondering if you took the -2 AC for raging into account, but a barbarian has so many hit points that to me, armor is something I wouldn't spend money on. Now if it drops, then I've got no problem with it, but I generally focus damage all the way.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Its actually not that many hit points relative to monster attacks. At best you have a 2-attack margin, which lets you stand up to two full attacks and barely live with luck. THAT is why AC is useful, because even mediocre AC amplifies the effect of having high hp, you last longer than using either hp or AC on their own.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

So I know next to nothing about Golarion and consequently appropriate tech levels (always play homebrew settings), but circa 1800, 200 miles noon-to-noon would be considered a good, pretty fast speed. I'm guessing you're looking for something more in the 16th-century range. Although hull forms improved marginally over that time period, the big differences are in scale and especially in rigging. As a rough estimate, I'd knock off 25-50% of that daily distance for your fast speed and set the slow speed to about 1/2 or 2/3 the fast one. Assuming you mean the island next to the Mordant Spire label, you're looking at about 400 miles which I'd conservatively estimate at 3-4 days for a fairly swift vessel and a favorable wind, 6 or so for the slower one.

As for type of ship, if you're looking for a Columbus-ish tech level, I'd go with a caravel for the fast one and a carrack for the slow one. As far as capabilities, good seamen can work wonders with a small boat. William Bligh navigated a 23-foot open launch about 4000 miles to Timor after the Bounty mutiny. Joshua Slocum made a solo circumnavigation in the 36-foot Spray. One thing of note is that most sailing vessels are differentiated more by the type of rig they carry than anything else (schooners, for example, a relatively modern rig probably post-dating Golarion, carry fore-and-aft gaff mainsails on two or more masts, often with gaff and sometimes square topsails).

Is that helpful? I can try to answer more specific questions if you want, but I suspect my knowledge is mostly on the wrong time period for you.

That is helpful, but yeah I think ships in the traditional "D&D era" would be slower than that. Pathfinder has robot spiders and motorcycles, though, so who knows.

I picked up that Stormwrack book, and it has entire chapters on this, and an awesome little table for vessel types, complete with how many people are needed to operate it effectively, how fast it is, etc. I removed the numbers so no one yells at me for copyright infringement.

The fastest boat on there is listed as 4mph, which is less than 100 miles a day, assuming normal winds. This gives me a good handle on how long the trip will take them.

Plus going through this book will allow me to let the PCs play out part of the trip to the island before the "real story" starts. Get some loving Scrags and poo poo climbing on their boat and hit them with a tidal wave.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Completely unrelated to the boat stuff I've been talking about, has there ever been a "polytheist" cleric variant? Like, when I cast a spell with a Lawful descriptor I'd call out to Abadar, and if I raise dead I pray to Zon-Kuthon, etc?

It's always seemed a little weird to me that in a world where you know every single god is real, because you see them acting through clerics, that there wouldn't be a type of hero that served/honored all of the gods.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I took some screenshots of the meeting last Sunday.

Linked, do not click if you do not want to see maps in MASKS OF THE LIVING GOD

http://i.imgur.com/9a1n0.jpg
Wizard roasts some cultists, and also the party Cleric.

http://i.imgur.com/lxkTZ.jpg
Finding his last two attacks futile against it's DR, the paladin holds his ground with a total defense against the mask golem, as a Herald of Razmir runs out of a bedroom.

http://i.imgur.com/Ja1Wu.jpg
The party battles the BBEG, a Sroc 4/Monk 2. It was pretty close at times, the Wizard took a yahtzee'd Scorching Ray and fell unconscious, but the Cleric was able to get him back up. The BBEG summoned three Hellhounds and the Wizard resonded by summoning his own.

In the end, they forced him to surrender.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Technically speaking, Clerics are not required to choose a deity.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Danhenge posted:

Technically speaking, Clerics are not required to choose a deity.

How do you figure, with the whole "alignment has to be within one step of her deity's" line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

How do you figure, with the whole "alignment has to be within one step of her deity's" line?

PFSRD Cleric page posted:

While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)
[...]
A neutral cleric of a neutral deity (or one who is not devoted to a particular deity) must choose whether she channels positive or negative energy.
[...]
If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, she still selects two domains to represent her spiritual inclinations and abilities (subject to GM approval). The restriction on alignment domains still applies.

Even if these lines weren't in the cleric's class description, a DM who wouldn't let you worship more than one/no god would be pretty dickish.

edit: whoops I only just realized this text is about not having a deity, not having multiple ones