Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Awesome, thanks!

Ed balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

fez_machine posted:

Role Playing Public Radio is goon run and has some of the best Call Of Cthulhu/Delta Green actual plays around https://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/

Seconding that. It was years ago and I forget the ep but a team of soldiers were infiltrating a base and were in a descending elevator when their medic who I think had sanity concerns so rolled to inject himself with a mild sedative. He got a 100, so keeper had him roll again to see how badly he had botched the procedure. Another 100.

So narratively the other soldiers watched as their trusted medic gashed open his arm with a needle as he injected himself with a massive overdose for seemingly no reason, falling unconscious and bleeding profusely and now they had to deal with him & the mission. It was a great moment of respecting the dice and dealing with bad luck.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I’ve got one of these audible deals for free (wouldn’t give money to it otherwise) where you have access to their premium content, which includes podcasts. Is there anything worthwhile on there?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Anybody listening to alphabet boys?
About the fbi and how they infiltrated into antifa. It’s… wild.
The iheartradio commercials in between are pretty egregious, get ready to smash the skip button.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mrfart posted:

I’ve got one of these audible deals for free (wouldn’t give money to it otherwise) where you have access to their premium content, which includes podcasts. Is there anything worthwhile on there?

A friend told me that Space 1969 was a good use of your audible free play.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cithen posted:

Following the Dungeons and Dragons OGL debacle, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for actual play podcasts using non-DnD tabletop rpg systems. Stuff like Pathfinder/Starfinder or less well-known systems. I am hoping for stuff with relatively good production standards.

Along with all the good recs here we have a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698 that has a lot of non D&D shows talked about.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is anyone else sad because all their old podcasts are dying?

James Bond Radio wrapped up for personal reasons.
Art of the Score no episodes for a long time now.
Reply All imploded.
Omega Tau guy can't seem to get guests and isn't feeling it anymore besides.
Omnibus down to once a week.

I wonder if we're going into a general lull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

~Coxy posted:

Reply All imploded.

I haven't heard of any of those podcasts. All my favorites are going strong. Hell, they're multiplying. E1 added a subseries, The Gods of Podcasting, so they're putting out more content than ever and it was confirmed that Charles's spinoff Pretty Dim Wonder is getting a second season, the main guy Chapo Trap House is doing a movie history podcast with the chick from Seeking Derangements, the one guy from 5-4 launched a new series called If Books Could Kill.

It's a golden era of podcasts, one which shall never end.

nightbird
Dec 29, 2021
You can't change the volume in my dreams
I've seen a lot of the fiction podcasts I like do the same. Not sure if this is true with other genres, but there was an absolute explosion of new ones around 2017-2018. Now 4-6 years later, a lot of them have just fallen by the wayside, either because the creators used their podcast passion project to leverage another opportunity or the little local team that put it together has fallen apart as people move, get other work, have life things come up.

It's sad, but also kinda the reality of a lot of these shows. Unless the team can tour or really strike it big enough to have a sustaining amount of money coming in via crowdfunding, the amount of time it takes to put out a quality product is not sustainable long term if it doesn't reach critical mass.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

~Coxy posted:

Reply All imploded.

Yeah in the last two years a lot of shows I listened to for five, ten years have ended for various reasons, or changed so much that it's just not the same. Basically all the shows I listened to in college that I actually kept listening to are gone.

I guess the only good news is there's always more shows to fill the void and I never have enough time to listen to them all.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

~Coxy posted:

Reply All imploded.

Sustainababble hung up their microphones too, and there's really nothing like it :sigh:
Flash Forward is over too
And Wrestling 20 Years Ago is finishing with Wrestlemania 19 this March
Also had to unsubscribe from Inside the Black Box after two years with no episodes...

drat

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's surreal when the ones that have being going on for years and years just suddenly stop. Going to wildy miss sustainababble and I feel like we need it now more than ever.... There's one doctor who podcast that I've been listening to since 07 and if that ever ends it might destroy me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Gripweed posted:

the one guy from 5-4 launched a new series called If Books Could Kill.
5-4 and If Books Could Kill are both great.

Speaking of the latter though, the co-host is (national treasure, IMO) Michael Hobbes, formerly of You’re Wrong About. YWA is still going and is still very good, but it’s not quite as good as when Michael was co-hosting it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Zugzwang posted:

5-4 and If Books Could Kill are both great.

Speaking of the latter though, the co-host is (national treasure, IMO) Michael Hobbes, formerly of You’re Wrong About. YWA is still going and is still very good, but it’s not quite as good as when Michael was co-hosting it.

The funniest part of YWA is listening to the back catalog and hearing Michael become radicalized in real time.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Michael's other show, Maintenance Phase, doesn't seem to get the appreciation it deserves either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Are there any good German language podcasts?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Podcasts about the German language or merely recorded in German?

Check out an episode listing for Omega Tau, science & engineering, you'll be able to tell pretty quick whether it'll be something you'll be interested in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

~Coxy posted:

Podcasts about the German language or merely recorded in German?

Check out an episode listing for Omega Tau, science & engineering, you'll be able to tell pretty quick whether it'll be something you'll be interested in.

recorded in German

And I'm opposed to STEM

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

New season of Serial just dropped, about a cop who might have murdered someone but it turns out he was innocent after all and you listened to 4 hours of audio to get back where you started :argh:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’m glad I stopped after the first season

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

New season of Serial just dropped, about a cop who might have murdered someone but it turns out he was innocent after all and you listened to 4 hours of audio to get back where you started :argh:

Lol in the last 10 minutes of the series oh by the way there was this other guy with a long criminal record that probably did it, but we're not gonna bother looking into him

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

COPE 27 posted:

Lol in the last 10 minutes of the series oh by the way there was this other guy with a long criminal record that probably did it, but we're not gonna bother looking into him

That’s a job for the police to look into

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

COPE 27 posted:

This is weird, I already listened to this season a couple of weeks ago, but under another name?
It really didn't make much of an impact on me apparently, it took me a couple of minutes into the first episode before a realized it :)

Had the same response as you concerning the ending.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

This is weird, I already listened to this season a couple of weeks ago, but under another name?
It really didn't make much of an impact on me apparently, it took me a couple of minutes into the first episode before a realized it :)

Had the same response as you concerning the ending.

Hahahahahahaha they are slapping the serial name on other podcasts now like it’s a horror franchise that is dying

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

So has the Crate and Crowbar pc gaming pod finally kicked it? They've been afaik radio silent since February now. It would be such a shame if it fizzled, I'd always rather an announcement that it's ending than this uncertainty, when it comes to something this long-lived. And I hope they're ok.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cactus posted:

So has the Crate and Crowbar pc gaming pod finally kicked it? They've been afaik radio silent since February now. It would be such a shame if it fizzled, I'd always rather an announcement that it's ending than this uncertainty, when it comes to something this long-lived. And I hope they're ok.

I was also thinking this so I checked the Discord and here's some updates:

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

A few months ago a discovered Junk Food Cinema, and my thought was "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill, and the other guy is a little annoying but I can put up with that"

10-15 episodes later, and my opinion has changed to "wow this is exactly what I've been looking for - I like Cargill but I can't loving stand the other guy and he makes me want to jab pencils in my ears"

If you've listened to the podcast you'll know what I mean - the other guy REALLY sucks and is annoying. The last straw was in the episode I just listened to on The Running Man where he made a big deal about a "plot hole" that was once again the result of him not understanding something that was made very clear in the movie.

ANYWAY - does anyone have any recommendations on other podcasts like this? Deep dives on 80's and 90's movies that aren't always great but we love them anyway. I've listened to How Did This Get Made and it was close but not exactly what I was looking for. Also tried No Such Thing as A Bad Movie and hated the hosts (this is a problem i have with lots of podcasts apparently).

The thing I like about Junkfood Cinema is that the hosts (well Cargill anyway) genuinely love the movies being reviewed, even if they aren't strictly "good movies". A lot of podcasts I've looked at seem to focus on the hosts just tearing the movies to shreds, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Have you listened to We Hate Movies? It’s not specifically 80s/90s but that ends up being the era quite a bit. They do an occasional We Love Movies episode and also an animation segment.
They just released an episode on The Covenant for their 666th episode.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Podcast listeners: If the podcast includes a call to action (subscribe to patreon, rate/review, plugging other things) - where should that go? The start? Middle? End? On ours we have it as part of the end-of-episode wrap up where it's least intrusive but also I know a lot of shows do it elsewhere, or to separate the "main content" from, say, listener emails etc.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I know a lot of shows do it elsewhere, or to separate the "main content" from, say, listener emails etc.

This seems fine usually, shorter is better when it’s in the middle. Go hog wild at the end. Usually I want an episode to get started fairly quickly so the less up front the better imo

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the only time ads or a Patreon read negatively stood out to me was when the Dollop would do a huge block at the start. Most people got in the habit of just skipping the whole thing until they started having to mix in bits and jokes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, the only time ads or a Patreon read negatively stood out to me was when the Dollop would do a huge block at the start. Most people got in the habit of just skipping the whole thing until they started having to mix in bits and jokes.

Yeah I would just skip something like eight minutes in on the Dollop every time. It’s not like any mention of Patreon is bad up front but when I realize it’s going to take up a good chunk of show I hit that fast forward button pretty quickly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Snowy posted:

Yeah I would just skip something like eight minutes in on the Dollop every time. It’s not like any mention of Patreon is bad up front but when I realize it’s going to take up a good chunk of show I hit that fast forward button pretty quickly.

It was a while ago but I appreciated when Pete Holmes was on WTF he joked he would make millions by inventing a podcast app that skips the first 20 minutes of Marc Maron rambling before introducing the guest.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Uhh Yeah Dude's usually is less than a minute and they do at least one more bit after most of the time so I barely notice.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

My advice as a listener, if you want people to actually hear it, is to have it at the front and make sure it is separate from everything else. A plug of less than a minute and then you're into your topic or conversation. Front of the episode should be the elevator pitch, short enough no one reaches for the skip ahead button.

If you've got a longer pitch, like talking Patreon tiers or whatever, to entice people, add a plug that says "details at the end of the episode". You get the benefit of a quick plug at the start that no one skips, and anyone who might have their interest piqued will stick around and you can sell them there.

I'm sure there's a marketing term for the attention fatigue that happens when an ad goes on too long, but podcasts are just lousy with creators who, because they don't have a time limit, think the most effective way to get people to sign up for something is to give a 10 minute kitchen sink presentation about it. I understand why podcasters have a big wind-up before getting into the episode topic or conversation, talking about live shows, listener feedback, etc. but from a pure number of ears listening, the longer that stuff goes the more people are gonna skip over it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I personally am super tired of stuff like patreon shoutouts

I don’t want to hear ten minutes of injokes and worship of the podcast hosts on knowledge fight or deadlock or the dollop or whatever else, gently caress off

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I like Knowledge Fight's because the wonk names are generally pretty funny but yeah its generally awful.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I personally am super tired of stuff like patreon shoutouts

I don’t want to hear ten minutes of injokes and worship of the podcast hosts on knowledge fight or deadlock or the dollop or whatever else, gently caress off

I enjoyed the Dollop for a while then learned Dave shamelessly plagiarized sites for content without permission or payment and got mad he had been caught. Also his internet tough guy #resistance Twitter account got old fast.

I do wonder if Doughboys always carefully providing sourcing for their restaurant info segments in their show notes was to avoid any appearance they were doing original research.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's fine to do it, and I think in terms of what hosts need to do to support themselves it's generally fine, I just dislike when it ends up being drawn out. It's self-indulgent and I don't think the ones that do it are gaining anything for doing it, and it runs a real risk of turning people off.

One of my favorite podcasts, Cryptonaut, is infamous for this. I bounced off it twice before someone talked me into it and told me to skip ahead 20 minutes because they kept going on about random bullshit at the start and I assumed that was the whole thing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Podcast listeners: If the podcast includes a call to action (subscribe to patreon, rate/review, plugging other things) - where should that go? The start? Middle? End? On ours we have it as part of the end-of-episode wrap up where it's least intrusive but also I know a lot of shows do it elsewhere, or to separate the "main content" from, say, listener emails etc.

If it's convenient for me, I skip a lot of off-topic banter and almost all ads, plugs, and shout-outs (I skip forward 30s, then backward 15s if I went too far). I end up listening to very quick 5-10 second plugs or announcements because I don't want to skip actual content. A quick, "We have a patreon and would love your support. Details at the end of the podcast and on our website," is the sort of thing I end up hearing. If I listen to a podcast regularly and they make a special announcement at the point at which content usually starts I'll listen unless it's somebody who feels every episode needs a special announcement. I skipped all of Mike Duncan's book plugs when it was pre-order season, for example. I definitely prefer longer/more detailed stuff to be at the end; because, then I can skip it when I don't want to hear it, but it's there if I need to learn a new podcast's website/patreon name, get info for a live event, or check out a guest's stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Our network's move (patron support only, no ads) is "This episode of [show] is sponsored by patrons like [read two names], and if you'd like to join them in receiving bonus episodes and more, visit [gimmick URL] and pledge as little as a buck a month. Now, enjoy the show." at the top of the pod. It's in and out in about fifteen seconds, and then we do a more full-featured version in the end credits as wind-down when talking about the musician who did the theme song, other shows we host, guest plugs, etc.